• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exact Young Earth Age?

Pah

Uber all member
pah said:
Perhaps I can be less sarcastic - how is it, AV1611, that the Egyptians and Chinese lived through a great flood without recording it but continuing a narrative of their civilization.
AV1611 said:
I don't know.
Perhaps then, since you don't know how that is possible, you would have to rethink a global flood. The history of Egypt and China is incompatible with a global flood

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Pah said:
Perhaps then, since you don't know how that is possible, you would have to rethink a global flood. The history of Egypt and China is incompatible with a global flood
At least for that particular date... :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Pah said:
Hi, PAH!

I live by one creed: "THE BIBLE SAYS IT, THAT SETTLES IT"

Just because neither Egypt nor China contain records about a Global Flood that occurred before their time doesn't mean it didn't happen. They weren't even around then, since they come from Noah's sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth. Any records of civilizations that existed prior to the Flood were destroyed by it.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
I live by one creed: "THE BIBLE SAYS IT, THAT SETTLES IT"
Do you agree with the following?

Capital Punishment

For Murder
  • Gen.9:6 "Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed."
For disobedient children
  • Ex.21:15 "He that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death."
  • Ex.21:17 "He that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death."
  • Lev.20:19 "For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him."
For witches
  • Ex.22:18 "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."
For Beastiality
  • Ex.22:19 "Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death."
  • Lev.20:15 "And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast."
  • Lev.20:16 "And if a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto, thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."
For worshipping another god
  • Ex.22:20 "He that sacrificeth unto any god save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed."
For breaking the Sabbath
  • Ex.31:14 "Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death."
  • Ex.31:15 "Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death."
  • Ex.35:2 "Six days shall work bedone, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death."
For adultery
  • Lev.20:10 "And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death."
For Incest
  • Lev.20:11 "And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."
  • Lev.20:12 "And if a man lie with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have wrought confusion; their blood shall be upon them."
  • Lev.20:14 "And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you."
For Homosexuality
  • Lev.20:13 "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."
For Blasphemy
  • Lev.24:16 "He that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him."
For not being a virgin on the night of the wedding
  • Dt.22:13-22 "If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her ... and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her not a maid: Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate.... But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you."
For Rape Victims who don't cry out loudly enough
  • Dt.22:23-24 "If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbour's wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you."

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
hmm the Olmec didn't seem to notice the flood either, they went happily though it from 2000-300AD

so maybe the flood didn't happin in c 2349 bc?
It would have to be older than the Egyptions, Mesopotamians, Chinese and Olmec... or they would have noticed it.

wa:do

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
Do you agree with the following?
Yes I do, but keep in mind that all those quotes you gave me except the one on Capital Punishment were given "under the Law". We are no longer "under the Law", which served as our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ.

When those were given, God lived on the Earth, and governed His people under a Theocracy. Thus while He was here, violation of rules of conduct carried a harsher punishment.

In addition, the Jews were about to move into hostile territory, and should be preparing for martial law, which again, carried harsher punishment than we dole out today.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
painted wolf said:
It would have to be older than the Egyptions, Mesopotamians, Chinese and Olmec... or they would have noticed it.
That is correct - q.v. my post @ 12:16.

joeboonda

AV1611, KEEP ON MY BROTHER!!! I don't think you can convince these die-hards of anything, lol, "even if one were to come back from the dead they would still not believe" Abraham to the Rich Man, in Luke. I see WAY more evidence for a global catastrophic flood, then for millions of years of evolution, too, but if someone doesn't wanna really examine the facts and just argue all day, then let them go on. PEACE! AND GOD BLESS YOU MY BROTHER!:bounce

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
so if the flood happined before the great anchient civilizations were formed, then the biblical timeline for creation would have to be pushed back from 6000 years to closer to 9000-10,000 years ago.

after all the patriarchs lived over 3,000 years themselves. and Egypt began in 3500bc a bit over 5,500 years ago.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
joeboonda said:
AV1611, KEEP ON MY BROTHER!!! I don't think you can convince these die-hards of anything, lol, "even if one were to come back from the dead they would still not believe" Abraham to the Rich Man, in Luke. I see WAY more evidence for a global catastrophic flood, then for millions of years of evolution, too, but if someone doesn't wanna really examine the facts and just argue all day, then let them go on. PEACE! AND GOD BLESS YOU MY BROTHER!:bounce
Thank you very much, Joe! I needed that! Good bless you too! :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
painted wolf said:
so if the flood happined before the great anchient civilizations were formed, then the biblical timeline for creation would have to be pushed back from 6000 years to closer to 9000-10,000 years ago.

after all the patriarchs lived over 3,000 years themselves. and Egypt began in 3500bc a bit over 5,500 years ago.

Hi, Wolf

Again, Egypt began AFTER the Flood. You can't push the Biblical timeline back 6000 years without contradicting the Bible.

Even if archaeologists found Egyptian records that said that the flood didn't occur, I would reject it outright automatically.

If I were to go back in a time machine to a day when the Flood was in progress, and all I saw was sunny skies, people moving about and having a good time, no rain or water anywhere; I would still preach that the Flood occurred and my time machine took me to the wrong era.

In fact, I'm gonna take this a step further, Wolf.

I am so adamant that the Bible is true and any writing to the contrary is bogus, that when I buy a Bible, I always check three words:

Does Numbers 11:4 say MIXT or MIXED
Does Matthew 28:20 say ALWAY or ALWAYS
Does 2 Timothy 3:17 say THROUGHLY or THOROUGHLY

If it says any of the words on the right --- I won't buy it.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
AV1611 said:
Even if archaeologists found Egyptian records that said that the flood didn't occur, I would reject it outright automatically.
I think that is worthy of respect. But, since you honestly and willingly confirm that you (will) maintain your position irrespective of mounting evidence to the contrary, have you not declared it off limits to debate? Why offer to discuss (debate) a topic when you declare yourself impervious to reason?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Deut. 32.8 said:
I think that is worthy of respect. But, since you honestly and willingly confirm that you (will) maintain your position irrespective of mounting evidence to the contrary, have you not declared it off limits to debate? Why offer to discuss (debate) a topic when you declare yourself impervious to reason?
Excellent questions, Deut! I'm highly interested in what response is given to them.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
but if egypt began after the flood and egypt has a continuous reccord from 30AD to 3,500 BC then the flood must have happined prior to 3,500 BC...
and if that is true then the earth was created (according to the bible) more than than 6000 years ago.

So if the bible itself says it is older than 6000 years then why argue that it is only 6000 years?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Deut. 32.8 said:
Good question! And you're right, there is mounting evidence to the contrary, it's just bogus evidence coupled to junk science (IMHO).

I will not declare it off-limits to debate, though. What I'm here to do, is try to answer questions, scientific or otherwise, using Scripture Only (i.e. Sola Scriptura). Since I believe the Bible to be a closed system, impervious to both higher and lower criticism, I try my best to answer questions from a Biblical standpoint.

That's why I say websites and authors are a dime a dozen. I'm only interested in one Author, and what He said on any given subject (or didn't say).

My favorite description of the Bible comes from Chuck Missler: it is a verbal hologram, written in spread-spectrum design, impervious to hostile jamming.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
painted wolf said:
but if egypt began after the flood and egypt has a continuous reccord from 30AD to 3,500 BC then the flood must have happined prior to 3,500 BC...
and if that is true then the earth was created (according to the bible) more than than 6000 years ago.

So if the bible itself says it is older than 6000 years then why argue that it is only 6000 years?

Because Egypt's records could be wrong in a nubmer of places:

1st of all - their dates wouldn't have "bc" on them, so they would be dated using some out-moded system that would be subject to a high margin of error.

2nd of all - what did they consider to be a year? Was it based on the Sun or the Moon, and how many days in their year? 360? 365? 60?

3rd - neither you nor I were there, so we don't know the accuracy of the accounts therein

4th - it's like my sister pointed out: if archaeologists came to America from the 25th Century, and dug up Disneyland or Disneyworld, they's sware we were a race of beings from another planet!

5th - and most importantly - if it disagrees with the Bible, it's wrong.

Ceridwen018

Good question! And you're right, there is mounting evidence to the contrary, it's just bogus evidence coupled to junk science (IMHO).
Why do you think it is bogus and junk?

Because Egypt's records could be wrong in a nubmer of places:
5th - and most importantly - if it disagrees with the Bible, it's wrong.
Egyptian historical writings have just as much of a chance of being flawed as does the Bible. Secondly, your statement that "it disagrees with the Bible, therefore it is wrong", does make you off-limits for any sort of debate, as Deut said.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
AV1611 said:
Good question! And you're right, there is mounting evidence to the contrary, it's just bogus evidence coupled to junk science (IMHO). I will not declare it off-limits to debate, though.
Then you are simply proselytizing. Mascarading willful ignorance and a pervasive contempt for science as 'debate' is simply dishonest.