• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exact Young Earth Age?

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
Again, if radiometric dating shows 2 million years, that's fine. It DOES NOT contradict the Bible. It's only showing age, not existence.
But since you claim that god wasn't hiding fossils then these must have aged naturally. Which means they have been lying there for 2 million years.
You contradict yourself more than any person I've ever debated...its absolutely hilarious

Ceridwen018

Believe me, I've debated this long before I joined this forum.
I'd say that you need to prepare for a crude awakening then. I will repeat my questions which you have avoided answering.

Ceridwen said:
Ah yes, but I forgot the "embedded age" of the Earth. Again, could you show me where it says that in the Bible, or are you just making things up as you go in order to keep your beliefs justified in your own head?
Where the Bible and Science disagree, Science is wrong.
Prove it. All of the evidence is against you.

The Bible is nothing but simple mythology--no different from the writings of ancient Egypt and Homer. Perhaps we should look for direction in this complicated reality in those manuscripts as well? I imagine Zeus and Osiris are getting quite antsy at the lack of attention they've been recieving in these last thousand years or so.

Personally, I'll stick with science. Good old verifiable, observable, and testable science. ;)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
How can my history be 10,000+ years old but have only existed for 6000????
why would god lie to my people about our history?
Just who were all those people who never really lived and why would god put them there to mislead us?

wa:do

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
Okay mister pedantic. Show me the passage that states the earths age at the time of writing.
Reverse engineer it, Fade. Forward engineer it. However you do it, it comes out 6000 years.

My car is 7 years old, but it's made of parts that are millions? of years old. How old is my car?

Ceridwen018

Again, if radiometric dating shows 2 million years, that's fine. It DOES NOT contradict the Bible. It's only showing age, not existence.
The fossils exist, doesn't that count? Are you going to make up your own definition of "existence" to fit your purposes too?

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Speaking of Catch-22 AV1611

Do you not think that a literal interpretation of the bible is a catch 22 in itself?
This is what you are saying.

"I believe the bible is the literal word of God"

To which I will reply

"Prove it"

To which you reply

"The Bible says so"

Do you not see the problem inherent in this?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ceridwen018 said:
Personally, I'll stick with science. Good old verifiable, observable, and testable science.
You'd better have some strong glue then, because science changes all the time. They'll always making statements, then readjusting their figures. True science can only observe what already exists.

Ceridwen018

Reverse engineer it, Fade. Forward engineer it. However you do it, it comes out 6000 years.
No, it doesn't. Large organized civilizations of humans, such as the Egyptians, the Greeks, etc., do not usually date past 6000 years or so, give or take, but humans themselves and simpler civilizations existed long before then. Not to mention the animals they came from, etc. Your idea of "adding up the patriarches", as they are found in the Bible no less is simple balogna.

My car is 7 years old, but it's made of parts that are millions? of years old. How old is my car?
Your car is 7 years old. In the case of the Earth, the Earth is 4.5 billion years old and is made of parts which are much older than that. How old is the Earth?

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:

You can't reverse engineer the 'Word of God'. You are making presumption about things that the bible doesn't claim to have the answers too by refering to the bible. Your argument is nonsense.

Ceridwen018

You'd better have some strong glue then, because science changes all the time.
That's the beauty of it. They never claim to know all there is to know, like religion, and they are able to change with new discoveries...unlike religion which just denies them.

They'll always making statements, then readjusting their figures. True science can only observe what already exists.
And true religion cannot observe anything.

Again I ask, where does it say in the Bible that the Earth has age "embedded" into it?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
Speaking of Catch-22 AV1611

Do you not think that a literal interpretation of the bible is a catch 22 in itself?
This is what you are saying.

"I believe the bible is the literal word of God"

To which I will reply

"Prove it"

To which you reply

"The Bible says so"

Do you not see the problem inherent in this?
Yes, I see a problem with the above conversation. It's called Circular Logic. I would never relpy to your question though, by saying "The Bible says so." That's too simplistic. The Bible is a closed system, immune to outside criticism. It is more than capable of defending itself.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ceridwen018 said:
Again I ask, where does it say in the Bible that the Earth has age "embedded" into it?
It doesn't. It simply states the facts, and I assume we're smart enough to conclude how the facts are arrived at, right?

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
Yes, I see a problem with the above conversation. It's called Circular Logic. I would never relpy to your question though, by saying "The Bible says so." That's too simplistic. The Bible is a closed system, immune to outside criticism. It is more than capable of defending itself.
The bible is a closed system? Hmmm...tell that to the chaps that edited it then.

Anyhoo, how would you reply to my question then?

Ceridwen018

It doesn't.
That's what I thought.

It simply states the facts,
Honey, the Bible doesn't state ANY scientific facts! In all seriousness, the Bible has a very long history of screwing up big time when it comes to trying to explain science.

and I assume we're smart enough to conclude how the facts are arrived at, right?
By reading the Bible and then ignoring reality as we create our own fantasy land where the Bible can exist as truth without any confliction? I propose that we first instigate an "embedded age clause". Wait...you already did that!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
You can't reverse engineer the 'Word of God'. You are making presumption about things that the bible doesn't claim to have the answers too by refering to the bible. Your argument is nonsense.
Fade, rather than argue this ad infinitum, would it be too much to ask you to check it out for yourself. Just get a calculator and add them up. They add up to just over 6000 years. What's so hard about that? Or better yet, find a Bible or book that has the figures already added up for you. No muss - no fuss.
That'll tell you how long the Universe (not just the Earth) has been in existence. Now if you want to know how old these rocks and such are, well, the Bible is silent on that; but if you're that curious, get a geology book and find out. Assuming they're all in agreement (which they aren't).

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
hang on I'm still waiting for answers to my questions back on page 7!!:sarcastic

me said:
why don't we ever find mammoths and Dinosaurs together?
Trilobites and turtles or icthyosaurs?
Why did everyone have to good sence to die in the right order to suggest evolution and why did god arrange it so that some would "age to the right degree" so that it would seem that dinosaurs are 65+ million years old but Mammoths are only 10,000 odd years old?
and from page 9:
me said:
How can my history be 10,000+ years old but have only existed for 6000????
why would god lie to my people about our history?
Just who were all those people who never really lived and why would god put them there to mislead us?
wa:do

Ceridwen018

would it be too much to ask you to check it out for yourself. Just get a calculator and add them up. They add up to just over 6000 years. What's so hard about that?
Why is it so hard for you to recognize that the Bible is obviously wrong? All of the evidence is against you. Like every other work of Mythology, the Bible was never intended to present scientific facts of any kind!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ceridwen018 said:
Honey, the Bible doesn't state ANY scientific facts! In all seriousness, the Bible has a very long history of screwing up big time when it comes to trying to explain science.
You mean like the Bible mentioning the Hittite Empire when scientists swore it didn't exist, until just recently when it WAS found? You mean the Bible mentioning the empire of the Medes when scientists swore it didn't exist, until just recently with it WAS found? You mean the Bible mention dinosaurs co-existing with man, when scientists swore they didn't, until just recently when it WAS found. You mean the Bible mentioning the "seven stars" when scientists swore there were only six (in the Pleiades), until Galileo invented the telescope and proved otherwise?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ceridwen018 said:
Why is it so hard for you to recognize that the Bible is obviously wrong? All of the evidence is against you. Like every other work of Mythology, the Bible was never intended to present scientific facts of any kind!
Science is constantly verifying Scripture. Their initial theories are usually against the Bible, but usually they end up verifying it when all is said and done.

Ceridwen018

You mean like the Bible mentioning the Hittite Empire when scientists swore it didn't exist, until just recently when it WAS found? You mean the Bible mentioning the empire of the Medes when scientists swore it didn't exist, until just recently with it WAS found?
No, thats not what I mean. These things all deal with historical archeology and the like, which is a science, but its not the type of science I meant.

Before I explain what sort of science I'm talking about, allow me to first explain something to you. Science is based on observation. It is only to be expected that scientists would deny the existence of something until they had seen it, and the fact that they denied the existence of those civilizations, even though they were mentioned in the Bible, until "recently" when they were discovered just shows that the scientific method works and is consistent. Don't believe everything you read, AV1611.
You mean the Bible mention dinosaurs co-existing with man, when scientists swore they didn't, until just recently when it WAS found.
Please show me your sources for this.

You mean the Bible mentioning the "seven stars" when scientists swore there were only six (in the Pleiades), until Galileo invented the telescope and proved otherwise?
There are actually 9 stars in the cluster--they were both wrong. Good thing science is able to change and adapt to new discoveries. I suppose that you will just have to deny the existence of the other two stars, or make something up that says the other two are just an illusion that god put there and they don't really exist.

http://www.messier45.com/