• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exact Young Earth Age?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
Why aren't dinosaurs mentioned in the bible? I'm sure Adam would have mentioned having to run for his life everytime a velociraptor tried to eat him. In fact, I'm sure the bible would have mentioned it in the ten commandments.
Hi there, Fade!

Until the FALL occurred, there was no DEATH. Dinosaurs were friendly and herbivorous. After the FALL, though, death entered the world, but again, it would have taken a long, long time for the dinosaurs to make the switch to meat. Adam would have no need of mentioning fleeing them.

Dinosaurs are mentioned in the Bible, in the book of Job.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
Hi there, Fade!

Until the FALL occurred, there was no DEATH. Dinosaurs were friendly and herbivorous. After the FALL, though, death entered the world, but again, it would have taken a long, long time for the dinosaurs to make the switch to meat. Adam would have no need of mentioning fleeing them.

Dinosaurs are mentioned in the Bible, in the book of Job.
So let me get this straight...You believe that all animals were herbivores until 'the fall' and then suddenly decided that meat was better? So why were carnivores created with the jaws and digestive systems of meat eaters if they weren't eating meat?

As an aside you appear to presume an awful lot of knowledge about things that aren't explicitly mentioned in the bible. Since you probably subscribe to the belief that the bible is 'the word of god' this in turn means you are guilty of putting words in gods mouth. I think you would be better off subscribing to my religion :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
As an aside you appear to presume an awful lot of knowledge about things that aren't explicitly mentioned in the bible. Since you probably subscribe to the belief that the bible is 'the word of god' this in turn means you are guilty of putting words in gods mouth. I think you would be better off subscribing to my religion :D
To answer your aside first: I first came on here to state that God created the earth with age embedded in it. I then started getting all kinds of questions off that point, which I knew was coming. I welcome them, as they give me a forum to express my opinions, facts, and views within an infrastructure that has a multiple range of intelligence and knowledge. In short, I choose to consider everyone here my friends, until they choose to opt out, in which case I simply ignore them. Thus, as my friends, they like to ask me questions, and I like to answer them to the best of my knowledge. You, of course, are no exception.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
So let me get this straight...You believe that all animals were herbivores until 'the fall' and then suddenly decided that meat was better? So why were carnivores created with the jaws and digestive systems of meat eaters if they weren't eating meat?
No, I don't believe they suddenly decided that meat was better. The transition from eating plants to eating meat took, as I said, a long, long time.

They were created with the jaws and digestive systems of meat eaters by God, Who knew ahead of time what they would need to survive.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
To answer your aside first: I first came on here to state that God created the earth with age embedded in it. I then started getting all kinds of questions off that point, which I knew was coming. I welcome them, as they give me a forum to express my opinions, facts, and views within an infrastructure that has a multiple range of intelligence and knowledge. In short, I choose to consider everyone here my friends, until they choose to opt out, in which case I simply ignore them. Thus, as my friends, they like to ask me questions, and I like to answer them to the best of my knowledge. You, of course, are no exception.
You lost me here. What does this have to do with my aside?

Pah

Uber all member
AV1611 said:
... It is one solar day. It cannot be 12-18,000 years. God created plant life on Day 3, how did it survive 12-18,000 years if the Sun wasn't created until Day 4?

Now THAT would have been smoke and mirrors!
I profusely apologize - it was Psalm 90 and verse 4 which says
For a thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night.
A thousand years describes God's day. I seem to remember another confirming verse - Yes! 2 Peter 3:8
But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

Day 1 in Gen 1 was the time light was created. Plants only need light - not sunlight. But in Gen 2:4 God made the heavens before plants. So plants and thier survival is poor argument.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
No, I don't believe they suddenly decided that meat was better. The transition from eating plants to eating meat took, as I said, a long, long time.

They were created with the jaws and digestive systems of meat eaters by God, Who knew ahead of time what they would need to survive.

If you feed a lion nothing but lettuce it will die. And since the evolutionary process required to evolve from herbivore to carnivore takes far more than a few thousand years, this points to an error in your argument. They can't have survived on a plant diet if their digestive system was for meat.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
You lost me here. What does this have to do with my aside?
Fade said:
As an aside you presume an awful lot of knowledge about things that aren't explicitly mentioned in the bible.
Do you want me to play dumb, or state my opinion? Would you rather I just sit here and quote Scripture?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
If you feed a lion nothing but lettuce it will die. And since the evolutionary process required to evolve from herbivore to carnivore takes far more than a few thousand years, this points to an error in your argument. They can't have survived on a plant diet if their digestive system was for meat.
Okay, Fade, thanks for your input. It's been fun.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Pah said:
I profusely apologize - it was Psalm 90 and verse 4 which says A thousand years describes God's day. I seem to remember another confirming verse - Yes! 2 Peter 3:8

Day 1 in Gen 1 was the time light was created. Plants only need light - not sunlight. But in Gen 2:4 God made the heavens before plants. So plants and thier survival is poor argument.
Hi, PAH

No need to apologize -- I knew where you were coming from. :)

But, surely you're not suggesting that plants lived on the earth 1000 years w/o our sun, are you? This earth would have been one solid ball of ice.

The beauty of Creation, is that life existed on the Earth before the Sun was created; whereas Evolution demands a sun first ... then life.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
AV1611 said:
Hi, PAH

No need to apologize -- I knew where you were coming from. :)

But, surely you're not suggesting that plants lived on the earth 1000 years w/o our sun, are you? This earth would have been one solid ball of ice.

The beauty of Creation, is that life existed on the Earth before the Sun was created; whereas Evolution demands a sun first ... then life.
Can you not understand that when the Bible says a thousand years is as a day to God and a day as a thousand years, it is basically saying that time is meaningless with reference to Him? It's not saying that each day in Genesis was 1000 years long. It is saying that the 'days' of Moses' vision could be any length of time - we simply do not know.

I would love to know how you can justify your belief that God made the world appear old. Being omnipotent, He could easily have made the world such that it could support life and still look young. He could have made a world which didn't appear to have ancient fossils and geological strata, which didn't have continuous dendrochronology dates going back before creation, so why didn't He? Your concept of God sounds more like Loki or Satan to me. My God is no trickster.

James

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
Okay, Fade, thanks for your input. It's been fun.
Yes, it has. I haven't laughed so much in a long time.
That you can't see the fault in your own logic is deeply troubling.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Deut. 32.8 said:
Evolution is so demanding. :rolleyes:
It actually is. It's supporting theory --- survival of the fittest --- demands one be absolutely in top-notch condition --- or it's curtains.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
Do you want me to play dumb, or state my opinion? Would you rather I just sit here and quote Scripture?
Oh yes please, please quote the particular passage that states that dinosaurs were herbivores, or friendly for that matter. And while you are at it please quote the passage that states that the earth is 6 thousand years old, while appearing to be billions of years old.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
It actually is. It's supporting theory --- survival of the fittest --- demands one be absolutely in top-notch condition --- or it's curtains.
Mmm, I take it from this comment that you only have a very rudimentary understanding of Evolutionary theory. Which is hardly surprising since you think dinosaurs evovled from herbivores into carnivores in the space of a few thousand years. All while being created as carnivores in the first place.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
IacobPersul said:
I would love to know how you can justify your belief that God made the world appear old. Being omnipotent, He could easily have made the world such that it could support life and still look young. He could have made a world which didn't appear to have ancient fossils and geological strata, which didn't have continuous dendrochronology dates going back before creation, so why didn't He? Your concept of God sounds more like Loki or Satan to me. My God is no trickster.

James
Hello, James

I didn't say He made the world appear old. I said he made it old.

And on the day He made it, it had no fossils, no bones, no anything dead in it.

Please see my previous posts for answers to your questions.

But I am curious about one thing: don't you think Adam and Eve were full-grown?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
Mmm, I take it from this comment that you only have a very rudimentary understanding of Evolutionary theory. Which is hardly surprising since you think dinosaurs evovled from herbivores into carnivores in the space of a few thousand years. All while being created as carnivores in the first place.
Well, here we go again. For the second (and I promise - LAST) time, I DID NOT use the word evolution. They adapted to their new environment via a change in diet.

No, they were NOT created as carnivores.

And lastly, yes, I have a VERY rudimentary understanding of Evolutionary theory.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
AV1611 said:
Hello, James

I didn't say He made the world appear old. I said he made it old.

And on the day He made it, it had no fossils, no bones, no anything dead in it.

Please see my previous posts for answers to your questions.
I've read them and found them unconvincing. Given that God could have created a geologically old earth without it looking old (i.e. without the fossils, C14 dates and dendrochronology amongst other things appearing to make it look older than it is), why didn't He. Do you think God made the world appear to have existed prior to creation in order to trick scientists? That's about the only explanation I can come up with. Your attitude to the fossils is particularly problematic. If they are only a few thousand years old, why do they look so much older? You say they didn't exist in the already old earth of creation, so that couldn't explain it. I still can't see why you would believe in a God that plays tricks on us.

AV1611 said:
But I am curious about one thing: don't you think Adam and Eve were full-grown?
I think it's safe to say that you and I do not view the creation of Adam and Eve in the same light at all. I do not read Genesis in the literalist way that you appear to.

James

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
Well, here we go again. For the second (and I promise - LAST) time, I DID NOT use the word evolution. They adapted to their new environment via a change in diet.

No, they were NOT created as carnivores.

And lastly, yes, I have a VERY rudimentary understanding of Evolutionary theory.
They adapted to their new environment via a change in diet? That doesn't sound like evolution to you?

Not created as carnivores? but earlier you said
AV1611 said:
You can't have it both ways.