• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Husband wins $9 million dollar case from “wife’s lover” in alienation of affection case.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
How many times have you heard women going on about how you can't trust men?

All the time which is why the issues are cyclical, which is also why good men get hurt because they (women) don't heal themselves and often use relationships as band-aids to deep wounds.

what demograph doesn't have poor examples?

Considering there are more women on this planet than men, I wager there are other examples of women who conduct themselves poorly. the problem with that is, is that when you critique women and I'm not talking about the MGTOW type of criticism, some try to label you sexist. I work with women all the time at work and I have to listen to the God aweful pillow talk of the "yes girl get your money" from nurses who make damn near as much as emergency physicians. Today's first world women don't hold other women accountable, but then these discussions often drift towards "whataboutisms."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Of course they do, men can be just as damaged as women can be.
That's where I was going with Epic Beard Men. It does no one any good to focus on the examples of filth and make generalized declarations based on that. Some of my female friends, they'd sooner commit Sepuku than be like the ***** featured in the OP. I've had male friends who have failed to comprehend women have emotional needs and exist for more than sex. But what good does it do to think all men and/or women are like that?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I was involved in an affair once, although to my defense I was not aware of it being an affair. I ended it after I found out though. Which damaged my perception of women for some time afterwards.. I mean who does that? Apparently quite a few. Husband is away for work or whatever they get lonely and start up a relationship with some other guy to have attention. Just wow though that's effed up.

So the woman you were with was already with someone and you ended it? I commendyou as some men do not care for selfish reasons. I was too in a similar situation but I mistakenly fell in love with a woman who was also cheating on her husband with me. My karma was love even after people telling me to leave her alone. I was essentially "p***y whipped." She saw me as a play thing and kept it pushing. Learned my lesson but nonetheless it definitely influences my opinion on women. She justified her infidelity with the fact that she was not in love therefore it was not infidelity. She even offered me to come over to her house I imagine to sleep in the bed she and her husband shares.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
That's where I was going with Epic Beard Men. It does no one any good to focus on the examples of filth and make generalized declarations based on that. Some of my female friends, they'd sooner commit Sepuku than be like the ***** featured in the OP. I've had male friends who have failed to comprehend women have emotional needs and exist for more than sex. But what good does it do to think all men and/or women are like that?

I don't get why in a men's section why I must address what men do? This isn't about men. It's frustrating that even in a men's section men cannot release their own frustrations. I'm not ignorant to think men aren't culpable, but this isn't about the culpability of men, this is about a situation where a man found out his wife was cheating and then conversation drifted to what men do.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think a reasonable expectation is that people should think about what they're doing before they enter into a lifelong commitment. If they don't think they're going to be able to handle it for the rest of their lives, they shouldn't do it. Those who enter into such arrangements frivolously are bound to want to exit just as frivolously.
But no one really enters into such a commitment "frivolously". They believe at the time that they are ready and willing to honor it. But then they find out that honoring it entails more than they'd realized, or they change as everyone does, in time, or they discover that more was expected then they were prepared to give. These things happen often, and what then?

If we truly love them, as we claim, it seem to me that we would want them to be happy, and fulfilled, even if that means they find it with someone else. Whereas if we blame them and condemn them for being who they are, then we're really just angry because they did not become or remain who we wanted and expected them to be. That's perhaps understandable, but it's also not love. At that point it's selfishness calling itself love.
It's especially problematic when there are kids involved. I know from my own experience, my own parents didn't give a rat's behind about their kids. It was all about them and their "happiness" (as if that's supposed to "trickle down" on the kids). I had to spend the better part of my own childhood watching my own parents grow up.
It could have been much worse, and it could have been much better. This was the hand you were dealt. And you can't do anything about that. So the question to you then becomes, how are you dealing with it now that you understand it? And who are you becoming as a result of your own choices? We have very little control over other people. Especially when we're kids. But as we grow up, we do gain the ability to control ourselves. To choose our actions and reactions in a world that we don't otherwise control.
So, I'll admit that this whole idea of getting divorced or committing adultery on whimsy just because one is "unhappy" is a serious sorepoint with me. Divorce is not the solution to "unhappiness." My personal observation is that one who chooses divorce as a cure for "unhappiness" will likely remain unhappy for the rest of their lives - and they'll make everyone around them unhappy, too.
You quote the word "happiness" as if it were not real. As if it were not really important. But of course it is very important, to all of us. And to love someone, anyone, is to want them to be happy. And often that means that they will seek that happiness and find it in ways that WE would not choose, nor wish them to choose. But their lives are their own, not ours to live. And often learning to love others involves our learning how to honor their right to be 'wrong'.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
But no one really enters into such a commitment "frivolously". They believe at the time that they are ready and willing to honor it. But then they find out that honoring it entails more than they'd realized, or they change as everyone does, in time, or they discover that more was expected then they were prepared to give. These things happen often, and what then?

I'm not so sure that no one enters into such commitments frivolously. A lot of people marry out of lust. Many have gotten married due to unexpected pregnancy. Shotgun weddings. There are people who get married and divorced multiple times.

I would agree that people shouldn't get married for frivolous reasons, but that doesn't mean they don't. The fact that some people are ready to ashcan their relationships over trivial reasons proves that their heart was never in it to begin with.

If we truly love them, as we claim, it seem to me that we would want them to be happy, and fulfilled, even if that means they find it with someone else. Whereas if we blame them and condemn them for being who they are, then we're really just angry because they did not become or remain who we wanted and expected them to be. That's perhaps understandable, but it's also not love. At that point it's selfishness calling itself love.

As far as "being who they are," some people change in life. I realize every situation is different; every individual is different. But I get what you're saying. It's just like the song lyric, 'if you love someone, set them free.' But what does that say about the measure of the other person's love? Was their heart ever in it to begin with, and if so, what changed? And if not, why bother making any kind of emotional investment at all?

It could have been much worse, and it could have been much better. This was the hand you were dealt. And you can't do anything about that. So the question to you then becomes, how are you dealing with it now that you understand it? And who are you becoming as a result of your own choices? We have very little control over other people. Especially when we're kids. But as we grow up, we do gain the ability to control ourselves. To choose our actions and reactions in a world that we don't otherwise control.

I can understand it a lot better now than I did as a kid. I recognize it for what it was - and what it is. The fact that I couldn't change it and had to deal with it doesn't change what they did. Nor does it mean that any of the frivolous, whimsical choices made by couples in such situations are the correct choices to make for their families and children.

True, we may not be able to control the world, but we can comment on it. We can observe that actions have consequences and learn from those consequences. Earlier you spoke of "reasonable expectations," but I believe a reasonable expectation would also mean that people would carefully consider their actions and gauge how it might affect other people.

You quote the word "happiness" as if it were not real. As if it were not really important. But of course it is very important, to all of us. And to love someone, anyone, is to want them to be happy. And often that means that they will seek that happiness and find it in ways that WE would not choose, nor wish them to choose. But their lives are their own, not ours to live. And often learning to love others involves our learning how to honor their right to be 'wrong'.

I quote the word "happiness" because it is a fleeting emotion. No one can expect to be happy all the time, and every relationship is going to have difficult times and periods of unhappiness. If someone is ready to bail at the first sign of trouble, then I would find that questionable.

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm not so sure that no one enters into such commitments frivolously. A lot of people marry out of lust. Many have gotten married due to unexpected pregnancy. Shotgun weddings. There are people who get married and divorced multiple times.

I would agree that people shouldn't get married for frivolous reasons, but that doesn't mean they don't. The fact that some people are ready to ashcan their relationships over trivial reasons proves that their heart was never in it to begin with.
But people don't know what they don't know. And expecting them to know, anyway, is not realistic. Nor is condemning people for not knowing more than they do about love, sex, commitment, and their own needs and desires.
As far as "being who they are," some people change in life. I realize every situation is different; every individual is different. But I get what you're saying. It's just like the song lyric, 'if you love someone, set them free.' But what does that say about the measure of the other person's love? Was their heart ever in it to begin with, and if so, what changed? And if not, why bother making any kind of emotional investment at all?
Love is itself a commitment. Not just an emotional investment. And we are all learning how to love, and how to love better, throughout our lives. Mistakes will occur. Bad choices will be made. People will be hurt. This is the nature of the human condition. Expecting it to be otherwise is only going to ensure our disappointment (and oftentimes fuel unreasonable resentment).
I can understand it a lot better now than I did as a kid. I recognize it for what it was - and what it is. The fact that I couldn't change it and had to deal with it doesn't change what they did. Nor does it mean that any of the frivolous, whimsical choices made by couples in such situations are the correct choices to make for their families and children.
Humans are rarely "correct". In fact, we can rarely even agree on what "correct", is. Which to my way of thinking means that we really need to learn how to accept and forgive each other. Lest we end up choking on our own accumulated disappointment and resentment.
True, we may not be able to control the world, but we can comment on it. We can observe that actions have consequences and learn from those consequences. Earlier you spoke of "reasonable expectations," but I believe a reasonable expectation would also mean that people would carefully consider their actions and gauge how it might affect other people.
Perhaps, but keep in mind that ultimately we don't have the capacity to know how someone else will be effected by our choices. We can only presume. And in that unknowing there is a lot of room for error, and unintentional harm. It's rare that any one of us does harm to any other, knowingly and deliberately. It happens, but I don't think it's that common.
I quote the word "happiness" because it is a fleeting emotion. No one can expect to be happy all the time, and every relationship is going to have difficult times and periods of unhappiness. If someone is ready to bail at the first sign of trouble, then I would find that questionable.
People who have been hurt often run at the first sign of trouble. I don't see how blaming or condemning them for not being smarter, or more courageous, or more fair is going to help, unless perhaps we turn the judgment inward, and assess ourselves by those same values. As we are really the only people we can change.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
well she is what the c word is for. I know I'm gonna get flak for it too. but that's honestly the perfect example right there.

I do not agree only because I use that label for people I know well. Like an former sister-in-law. It takes more than a few seconds of video for me to make that conclusion.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I do not agree only because I use that label for people I know well. Like an former sister-in-law. It takes more than a few seconds of video for me to make that conclusion.
More men can be c words than women, but I use that word soo much.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
You know, the video wasn't what did it for me. The woman moving out and just starting a new relationship without warning. And never talking about it, nor filing for divorce, or separation. One day happy marriage, next day moved out and boning someone else.

This is a classic definition of a c word for me.

I use this label for friends as well but it is reserved for the dregs of humanity as well.