• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex Christians

Vadergirl123

So I've read a couple of posts about people claiming to be "ex christians" and I'm curious as to what they mean exactly. If you are an ex-christain were you in a relationship with Jesus Christ and decided you wanted the relationship to end? Was it that the belief of christiantity stopped making sense or something else entirely? Please let me know.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
For me, there came a point where I couldn't mesh Christian teachings with what I knew about God. I still believed in God, but ideas such as vicarious salvation, origional sin, the deification of Jesus, and eternal punishment went against the teachings I saw in the Bible.

And once I realized that, I found that there were other religions that fit me much better than Christianity.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
For me, there came a point where I couldn't mesh Christian teachings with what I knew about God. I still believed in God, but ideas such as vicarious salvation, origional sin, the deification of Jesus, and eternal punishment went against the teachings I saw in the Bible.

And once I realized that, I found that there were other religions that fit me much better than Christianity.

So, now that you are no more a christian, how do you see Jesus, Zacharias and John Baptist ?

Because for me, what they (the three of them) said was one thing, and what the teaching of christianity is (meaning of today or of the church if you want) is someting else.

roberto

So I've read a couple of posts about people claiming to be "ex christians" and I'm curious as to what they mean exactly. If you are an ex-christain were you in a relationship with Jesus Christ and decided you wanted the relationship to end? Was it that the belief of christiantity stopped making sense or something else entirely? Please let me know.

I thank you for asking the question.

After studying the Scriptures[forced to] , I found the "key" to determine if one is actually in relationship with the tru/true/correct Messiah.

The key made me realise that I raised my only child and daughter of 19 [she passed on] on the wrong path.

Christianity after the year 325, I found was NOTHING like before the year 325.

So, now that you are no more a christian, how do you see Jesus.....,

An imposter / anti-Messiah

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
So, now that you are no more a christian, how do you see Jesus, Zacharias and John Baptist ?

Because for me, what they (the three of them) said was one thing, and what the teaching of christianity is (meaning of today or of the church if you want) is someting else.

I see them as men, no more and no less.

As far as Jesus goes, I think that he might have originally had a good message to bring to people; much of the Christian Bible seems to be a reflection of Jewish stories and ideals. But the claim of his divinity, whether it came from him or from his followers, it certainly not.

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
I thank you for asking the question.

After studying the Scriptures[forced to] , I found the "key" to determine if one is actually in relationship with the tru/true/correct Messiah.

The key made me realise that I raised my only child and daughter of 19 [she passed on] on the wrong path.

So all those promises Christ made about being with the diciplices until the end of the age? All lies then?

Maybe you can enlighten me as to what went so drastically wrong in the fourth century that can not be traced back to earlier Apostolic tradition?

roberto

....Maybe you can enlighten me as to what went so drastically wrong in the fourth century that can not be traced back to earlier Apostolic tradition?

"...Under Constantine I Jewish clergy were given the same exemptions as Christian clergy.[1] Constantine also supported the separation of the date of Easter from the Jewish Passover (see also Quartodecimanism), stating in his letter after the First Council of Nicaea (which had already decided the matter):
"... it appeared an unworthy thing that in the celebration of this most holy feast we should follow the practice of the Jews, who have impiously defiled their hands with enormous sin, and are, therefore, deservedly afflicted with blindness of soul. ... Let us then have nothing in common with the detestable Jewish crowd; for we have received from our Saviour a different way."[2]
Theodoret's Ecclesiastical History records The Epistle of the Emperor Constantine, concerning the matters transacted at the Council, addressed to those Bishops who were not present:
"It was, in the first place, declared improper to follow the custom of the Jews in the celebration of this holy festival, because, their hands having been stained with crime, the minds of these wretched men are necessarily blinded. ... Let us, then, have nothing in common with the Jews, who are our adversaries. ... Let us ... studiously avoiding all contact with that evil way. ... For how can they entertain right views on any point who, after having compassed the death of the Lord, being out of their minds, are guided not by sound reason, but by an unrestrained passion, wherever their innate madness carries them. ... lest your pure minds should appear to share in the customs of a people so utterly depraved. ... Therefore, this irregularity must be corrected, in order that we may no more have any thing in common with those parricides and the murderers of our Lord. ... no single point in common with the perjury of the Jews."[3]..."
Read more here >>> Constantine the Great and Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, how can any one in their right mind think Christianity of today is the same as before the year 325AD ? UTTER MADNESS ! It is " " a different way "

Last edited:

Pastek

Sunni muslim
As far as Jesus goes, I think that he might have originally had a good message to bring to people; much of the Christian Bible seems to be a reflection of Jewish stories and ideals. But the claim of his divinity, whether it came from him or from his followers, it certainly not.

I understand the claim of Jesus's divinity that you reject. But, why you don't believe anymore that Jesus was the Messiah ?
And that John the Baptist was like it was said in the NT, "Elie" or a prophet ?

mycorrhiza

I was raised as a Christian and I believed in God, Jesus and the Bible. It was actually reading the Bible that made me stop being a Christian, as the God presented there wasn't exactly the loving God that I had been taught about. It also had to do with needing evidence, and I simply couldn't find any that supported the existence of the Biblical God. I turned to deism instead, and went on from there.

Had I found gnosticism back then when I still believed in God I probably would have still been a Christian, albeit a gnostic one.

Vadergirl123

Hmm okay, thanks for sharing :) did you base what you knew about God on the Bible or was it something else?

Vadergirl123

Sorry you were "forced" to, what do you believe that key is?

I'm sorry :(

I agree their are some denominations that don't teach what the Bible says. What branch of christianity are you specifically refering to?

Vadergirl123

I was raised as a Christian and I believed in God, Jesus and the Bible. It was actually reading the Bible that made me stop being a Christian, as the God presented there wasn't exactly the loving God that I had been taught about. It also had to do with needing evidence, and I simply couldn't find any that supported the existence of the Biblical God. I turned to deism instead, and went on from there.
Ah yeah I remember you teling me about being raised in our PM :) There aren't any passages in the Bible that you believe show God to be loving and caring?

Had I found gnosticism back then when I still believed in God I probably would have still been a Christian, albeit a gnostic one.
I thought you did believe in God, but you believe he's everything?

mycorrhiza

Ah yeah I remember you teling me about being raised in our PM :) There aren't any passages in the Bible that you believe show God to be loving and caring?

There are many that show him being loving and caring, but there's also many showing him being jealous, genocidal and bigoted.

I thought you did believe in God, but you believe he's everything?
God is more of a metaphor in that case, as it is the closest thing to describe my feelings towards the Universe.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I understand the claim of Jesus's divinity that you reject. But, why you don't believe anymore that Jesus was the Messiah ?
And that John the Baptist was like it was said in the NT, "Elie" or a prophet ?

Because Jesus did not fulfill the requirements of the messiah, and John preached a message that was contradictory to the Torah.

Hmm okay, thanks for sharing :) did you base what you knew about God on the Bible or was it something else?

It was based on both my experiences and the Bible.

I grew up in Southern Baptist churches, and, as a child, had always just assumed the pastors and deacons were right. As I grew up, I stopped thinking that way and starting asking questions; when I actually read the Bible for myself, a lot of things I had been taught seemed false.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If you are an ex-christain were you in a relationship with Jesus Christ and decided you wanted the relationship to end? Was it that the belief of christiantity stopped making sense or something else entirely? Please let me know.

I left Christianity because of the dogma and doctrines. A personal relationship with Jesus? No. I don't believe he is God, or "the Messiah", except for the literal meaning of messiah being anointed. That is, anointed or appointed to perform a duty. That duty was to reform a religion and belief in God that went astray and became mindlessly ritualistic. Much as the Buddha did, seeing that Hinduism needed a reformation.

I don't believe Jesus is a savior from "original sin" (which I reject), but rather a God-enlightened and self-realized jiva (the essence of a living being in Hinduism). He is a savior in the sense that those who listened to what he really had to say can find a way to reach God. If you read The Sermon On The Mount According To Vedanta by Swami Prabhavananda, you will see what Jesus was really teaching. Therefore I do respect and revere him for that.

Vadergirl123

There are many that show him being loving and caring, but there's also many showing him being jealous, genocidal and bigoted.
Well yes he does have the Israelites kill nations who don't believe in him, and when the Israelites turn against him he allows them to be put in situations such as slavery. And yes he is a jealous God, but rightly so. However he also sent his son to die for the entire world. You can't get much more loving and caring then that. Especially considering when Jesus died the torturous death on the cross he didn't force everyone to believe in him. He was dying for everyone and they were given the choice to reject him. Why do you think he's bigoted?

Vadergirl123

It was based on both my experiences and the Bible.
I grew up in Southern Baptist churches, and, as a child, had always just assumed the pastors and deacons were right. As I grew up, I stopped thinking that way and starting asking questions; when I actually read the Bible for myself, a lot of things I had been taught seemed false.
Okay yeah there are alot of peopel out there who don't think for themselves(It's really sad) so you don't believe the Bible teaches about original sin and Jesus being God?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Okay yeah there are alot of peopel out there who don't think for themselves(It's really sad) so you don't believe the Bible teaches about original sin and Jesus being God?

No, the Torah does not. Have you ever wondered why those concepts are so foreign to Jews, whose religion and Scripture form the base of Christianity and Islam?

Vadergirl123

I left Christianity because of the dogma and doctrines. A personal relationship with Jesus?
How did you get into Christianity? Were you raised to believe christain doctrines?

No. I don't believe he is God, or "the Messiah except for the literal meaning of messiah being anointed. That is, anointed or appointed to perform a duty. That duty was to reform a religion and belief in God that went astray and became mindlessly ritualistic. Much as the Buddha did, seeing that Hinduism needed a reformation.

I don't believe Jesus is a savior from "original sin" (which I reject), but rather a God-enlightened and self-realized jiva (the essence of a living being in Hinduism). He is a savior in the sense that those who listened to what he really had to say can find a way to reach God. If you read The Sermon On The Mount According To Vedanta by Swami Prabhavananda, you will see what Jesus was really teaching. Therefore I do respect and revere him for that.
Very interesting, and you base all of this on the hindu religion?