• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex Christian Needs Help!

Bently Blaize

Hello!

I'm new to posting but I'm seeking some guidance so I'll give it a whirl..

I was brought up a christian in the United States. For the last almost 3 years now I've been almost addicted to learning and discovering knowledge from all over.

I study a great deal of philosophy (Alan Watts at the top of my list) I love Hindu philosophy such as Nisargadatta. All these beyond realisations are happening to me.

I can see how we are all one and connected. I see that I simply Am.

With all this being said.. I know the literal biblical description of god is ridiculous and my beliefs have expanded greatly. But I can't escape the fear of "what if I'm wrong?"

To be frank can anyone help me see that I am on the right track and I shouldn't worry about burning in hell??

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Hello!

I was brought up a christian in the United States. For the last almost 3 years now I've been almost addicted to learning and discovering knowledge from all over.

I study a great deal of philosophy (Alan Watts at the top of my list) I love Hindu philosophy such as Nisargadatta. All these beyond realisations are happening to me.

With all this being said.. I know the literal biblical description of god is ridiculous and my beliefs have expanded greatly. But I can't escape the fear of "what if I'm wrong?"

To be frank can anyone help me see that I am on the right track and I shouldn't worry about burning in hell??
It seems odd to me that you could have come this far and still have worries like that. What could you be doing that you think could land you in hell? Is it not being a Christian by name that you think could land you there?

Raahim

مكتوب
As long as you ask yourself that question you're not 100% sure in your Hindu belief and I simply Am.
I have a feeling that when person converts to another religion with true heart they never question if they are wrong.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If you have really strong programming, it will be extremely difficult to purge your mind of it. Not impossible, but difficult. In my 40 years of watching people switch into Hinduism, I've witnessed lots of attempts, some successful, some not so successful. It makes one wonder why if, after a few years, or even decades on 'this' side, the person finds comfort in what they were taught. Very difficult to teach an old dog new tricks. Fortunately, you get many chances.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Hello!

Hello, You could try some other christian religions not all follow the bible literally. Some christian religions also offer reconciliation, so you can always go back if you realize your wrong. Hell is also not a universal belief.

allfoak

Alchemist
Hello!

I got my start as a college student studying Bible, i was a very dedicated Christian in the 80's.
My understanding has changed so radically since then that i get thrown out of churches when i share what i know.

Through all of it, 35yrs now, i have held on to this one idea.
God would never condemn an honest seeker of the truth.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

That's something you have to see for yourself, I think. The notion that a deity would burn people in a hell simply for not believing in him can never be proved false, just as it can never be proved false that an undetectable leprechaun is farting undetectable rainbows outside my widow even as we speak. But there may come a day for you, as there has for me, when both the notion of such a cruel and petty deity and the notion of an undetectable leprechaun strike you as equally absurd.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I can't really offer much. My fear of Hell ceased the very moment I renounced Christ. The only lingering fears of it I had was while I still had lingering faith. To me, it just wouldn't have made any sense to fear something I no longer believed in, and when I finally did reject Christ I had already learned enough to know the stories I grew up with simply were not real or true.
It's called religious trauma syndrome. And though I was able to easily shed these fears post-faith, the months of my beliefs were very difficult and I was even tormented with dreams so vivid I could feel the flames of Hell searing my flesh, and I my body may have even trembled from it. But it was this fear and this uncertainty that made me dive deeper, searcher harder, and look further than ever before, and instead of my weakening faith that was causing trauma being restored, I was set free from the oppression and fear.
Here is an interesting article on the subject:
https://richarddawkins.net/2015/07/...d-religion-leads-to-mental-health-problems-2/

Bently Blaize

It seems odd to me that you could have come this far and still have worries like that. What could you be doing that you think could land you in hell? Is it not being a Christian by name that you think could land you there?

Thank you!

Basically it's my surroundings. It's had to maintain a solid mindset when everyone from parents to spouse says I am wrong and then preaches to me.

I know what I believe. I
That's something you have to see for yourself, I think. The notion that a deity would burn people in a hell simply for not believing in him can never be proved false, just as it can never be proved false that an undetectable leprechaun is farting undetectable rainbows outside my widow even as we speak. But there may come a day for you, as there has for me, when both the notion of such a cruel and petty deity and the notion of an undetectable leprechaun strike you as equally absurd.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hello!

If you know the literal biblical description of god is ridiculous, why on earth should you be worried about burning in hell?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If you know the literal biblical description of god is ridiculous, why on earth should you be worried about burning in hell?
Not to speak for Bently, but such fears are typically found in ex-Christians who come from a more conservative and literalist denomination where Hellfire and damnation is a typical and frequent topic of discussion and sermons. I even remember one pamphlet from my last church that pointed out the Bible has more references to Hell than it does Heaven. It's a fear that is very deeply embedded into their psyche, a fear they are taught to have.
Where I went to church, it was typical for the pastor to go on about how anyone and everyone who isn't a Baptist is going to Hell. Those who are not baptized are going to Hell. Christ died so that those who believe will not perish but have ever lasting life, but everybody else is going to Hell. They spent so much time talking about who is going to Hell and what the Bible says Hell is like that it left little time for what Jesus actually taught. And as a result, we see things like this Religious Trauma Syndrome - also known as the 9th Satanic Statement,"Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years."

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Hi, Bently. Welcome to RF.

Have you considered some reflection on the role of hell (if it exists) and of your personal realization as it relates to it?

It is my firm belief that enough consideration on those two matters and their logical conclusions ought to dispell those fears of yours.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's not something I worry about as much as its a thought that enters this mind every so often and I wish it wouldn't. I have the influence from a lot of non thinkers around me I guess.
Well, for what it's worth... I'm a Christian who doesn't believe you'd go to Hell for being a Hindu, a Buddhist or even an atheist.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Hello!

as long as you are breathing...you are at risk
do not drop you guard

your post brings appearance .....you might gel into a fellow....Rogue Theologian

Kapalika

Premium Member

You are on the wrong path if you claim to be Hindu but worry about a Christian hell as far as I am concerned, but not for the reason you might initially think.

Here's my advice: drop the Christianity (regardless of what you do with the rest); it won't fit well with Hinduism. Though I'll admit that some Hindus might incorporate Yeshua into their pantheon, they do so from a Hindu perspective so this isn't necessarily about stopping any veneration you might have for Yeshua.

The reason I suggest this is because it seems like the attachment to your past will only hold you back from moving forward and growing spiritually. It's hard to move forward if you hold onto the parts that remind you of what they indoctrinated (some might say brainwashed) you into thinking would happen if you ever left their religion (ie go to Hell).

The self loathing, original sin, and eternal hell theology of Christianity is incompatible with Hinduism from what I understand. Some versions of Hinduism have a hell, but it's temporal at worst. Personally I and many others don't believe in any hell what so ever.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Hello!

Christians don't have any leverage when it comes to pascals wager. There's nothing substantial at all outside the banter and obscure writings that would ever justify any fear borne of a conceptual invention, such as that of hell.

I used to be Christian myself and rest assured no sleep is lost over it.