• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Atheists

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What caused you to believe?

My thinking is that belief comes before reason. IOW if you believe in something enough you'll find a reason for continued belief. This is probably wrong as some atheist may have experienced something supernatural to cause belief.

Since I started life as a believer having experiences which provided reason for continue belief were common enough. Becoming an atheist, these experiences no longer occurred. Kind of like the Matrix, once you take the red pill, impossible to go back.

However I know there are ex-atheists. So did some supernatural event occur during your state of non-belief to cause belief or was it just a need for the support of a religious ideology/community.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I used to be an atheist

Then The Simulation began communicating with me

I mistook The Simulation for God

I therefore started to believe in God

Later, I realised The Simulation was not God

However, to this day I maintain a belief in a Supreme Being

For me, the world makes more sense to me with God in it

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I became an atheist after going through a fundie Christian stage. There were some bits imbetween but they're not really important. I read Karen Armstrong's 'A History of God' and slowly realised that the God I'd believed in as a fundie Christian certainly didn't exist. My conception of him only mirrored my own vindictive, bitter self and I'd eventually rejected that. I learnt that G-d isn't a superhuman like entity with a penchant for torture. To highlight this I had also read the Book of Job and further realised that my conception of G-d was what was wrong, not His existence.

I had also reached the conclusion that I indeed believe that the universe and everything in it was/is created/being created. I understood that I knew 0.0001% of everything and to place all my faith in humanity's current knowledge, science and reasonings seemed the most foolish thing of all. Once I realised that The Creator is beyond anything I can understand or explain, outside logic and human reason, I was fine accepting that. Other people aren't; other people believe human logic and science and reasoning will one day explain most things if not all things.

PureX

Veteran Member
I became an atheist after going through a fundie Christian stage. There were some bits imbetween but they're not really important. I read Karen Armstrong's 'A History of God' and slowly realised that the God I'd believed in as a fundie Christian certainly didn't exist. My conception of him only mirrored my own vindictive, bitter self and I'd eventually rejected that. I learnt that G-d isn't a superhuman like entity with a penchant for torture. To highlight this I had also read the Book of Job and further realised that my conception of G-d was what was wrong, not His existence.

I had also reached the conclusion that I indeed believe that the universe and everything in it was/is created/being created. I understood that I knew 0.0001% of everything and to place all my faith in humanity's current knowledge, science and reasonings seemed the most foolish thing of all. Once I realised that The Creator is beyond anything I can understand or explain, outside logic and human reason, I was fine accepting that. Other people aren't; other people believe human logic and science and reasoning will one day explain most things if not all things.
Yes, I think for a lot of people the usual trajectory is not from a religious God, to atheism, then back to a religious God, again. It's more often from a religious God, to atheism, to a more expansive, more mysterious and less defined (non-religious) idea of God. I would call it a passage from 'religion to faith', with a stop in anti-religious atheism along the way.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I think for a lot of people the usual trajectory is not from a religious God, to atheism, then back to a religious God, again. It's more often from a religious God, to atheism, to a more expansive, more mysterious and less defined (non-religious) idea of God. I would call it a passage from 'religion to faith'.
I do affiliate with a religion, however.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

My thinking is that belief comes before reason. IOW if you believe in something enough you'll find a reason for continued belief. This is probably wrong as some atheist may have experienced something supernatural to cause belief.

Since I started life as a believer having experiences which provided reason for continue belief were common enough. Becoming an atheist, these experiences no longer occurred. Kind of like the Matrix, once you take the red pill, impossible to go back.

However I know there are ex-atheists. So did some supernatural event occur during your state of non-belief to cause belief or was it just a need for the support of a religious ideology/community.
I am an ex-atheist converted by reading about the experiences of others (not my own). The Near Death Experiences was a starting point for me developing an expanded view of reality. And to this day I am very aware of all the skeptical arguments against the paranormal and the full analysis has me more convinced than ever of the paranormal.

The worldview that formed for me from following the evidence and those that best explain the evidence is non-dual (God and the universe are not-two).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I was the kind of atheist who did not even care to give religion or God any attention - it was beneath notice. During my time in school, I gradually became interested in the topic. Without my reflection about why, I started reading about various spiritual paths, visiting Trungpa's Vermont center, visiting Philip Kaplau's Zen center etc.

Then there was a visit by someone who was giving talks about the dangers of drugs and the spiritual alternatives. He identified himself as a follower of Meher Baba and that raised a challenge and questions.

One was about how someone could be truly honest in the world. My example was a surprise party when the person involved started wondering what was going on and asked questions. The answer was complex and ultimately satisfying. Partly the answer is about what is truth and that gets to what is divine love and what does do. And partly it was about how to speak honestly but not necessarily completely.

I also started learning more about Meher Baba and his claim to be the Avatar of the Age, the Christ. My being became focused on "is he or isn't he" which involved reading his discourses, the historical books about his life available at the time. And this included traveling to India to visit those who were his closest disciples. I found his explanations intellectually satisfying. And I found his closest disciples charming and very down-to-earth. They were people I enjoyed just hanging out with and listening to the stories they told. They were each very different and each very human.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I was never and out-and-out atheist but I was an agnostic for quite a length of time, but what changed me in the theistic direction was a set of "experiences" that simply defied explanation on the basis of coincidence. IOW, things I just could not have known through "normal" means. Some may remember that I explained this in some detail a couple of years ago and yet it didn't stop then as I went through another similar "experience" this last April.

BTW, I'm a scientist, now retired, and I've never been superstitious, and I ain't about to start now.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I also started learning more about Meher Baba and his claim to be the Avatar of the Age, the Christ. My being became focused on "is he or isn't he" which involved reading his discourses, the historical books about his life available at the time. And this included traveling to India to visit those who were his closest disciples. I found his explanations intellectually satisfying. And I found his closest disciples charming and very down-to-earth. They were people I enjoyed just hanging out with and listening to the stories they told. They were each very different and each very human.

It's nice to have a mentor.
I also followed someone who claimed to be claimed to be Avatar of the Age in my youth. I suppose This idealism carried me through most of my adult life. There was also non materialistic experiences which supported what he taught. Then I was more open to the possibility of a non-material existence to life. Just never found a way to scientifically justify such a belief.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
I don't think that attesting to some inspiring conversion story is necessary to me but studying Zen, Taoism, Hinduism and certain forms of Occultism really opened up what my perceptions of reality was from being a very anti-religious strong-atheist teenager. Something within my experiences with those traditions caused me to realize that the world is not as we would conveniently like to evaluate it, that the material is not the absolute and that perspective itself is a sword of many edges.
The understanding that comes from going from strong-atheist to strong-theist is not something you can really hand written on paper to an atheist unfortunately, it does ultimately stem from a knowledge that comes from non-transferable experience but it isn't non-attainable and isn't a passive path. The best you can do to convey what is not immediate to the physical senses is through philosophy (which itself is an inherent trait within all prophetic revelations at the same time).

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I was never and out-and-out atheist but I was an agnostic for quite a length of time, but what changed me in the theistic direction was a set of "experiences" that simply defied explanation on the basis of coincidence. IOW, things I just could not have known through "normal" means. Some may remember that I explained this in some detail a couple of years ago and yet it didn't stop then as I went through another similar "experience" this last April.

BTW, I'm a scientist, now retired, and I've never been superstitious, and I ain't about to start now.

You never had a conflict between being analytic and belief?

I suspect I am too analytical minded. Constantly having to prove or validate what I claim. I wanted to validate my "non-material" experiences but honestly couldn't so stopped claiming non-material experiences had any basis in reality to myself.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I don't think that attesting to some inspiring conversion story is necessary to me but studying Zen, Taoism, Hinduism and certain forms of Occultism really opened up what my perceptions of reality was from being a very anti-religious strong-atheist teenager. Something within my experiences with those traditions caused me to realize that the world is not as we would conveniently like to evaluate it, that the material is not the absolute and that perspective itself is a sword of many edges.
The understanding that comes from going from strong-atheist to strong-theist is not something you can really hand written on paper to an atheist unfortunately, it does ultimately stem from a knowledge that comes from non-transferable experience but it isn't non-attainable and isn't a passive path. The best you can do to convey what is not immediate to the physical senses is through philosophy (which itself is an inherent trait within all prophetic revelations at the same time).

Non-transferable experience. :)

Kind of know how that is.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You never had a conflict between being analytic and belief?
There are times I did to an extent because I wanted to believe, but even then I always questioned.

BTW, note "My Faith Statement" at the bottom of my posts and that's been my position for quite a length of time now.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Depending on how you want to split hairs about who is theist and who is atheist, I was an atheist (or more accurately, what I prefer to call an "angstheist") for the better part of my childhood and through my teens. I wish I could say that was because I had some bad experiences in Catholicism. It'd be less embarrassing for me that way, because the finger could be squarely pointed at someone else. I didn't suffer any traumas with my brief Catholic upbringing (okay, well... maybe a little if we count forcing a child with ADD to sit through mass... which I hated). No, the finger has to point squarely at myself because after I tantrumed enough to convince my parents to quit forcing me to go to mass and Sunday school, I up and concluded religion was stupid, God was stupid, and it was all stupid. Put simply, my reasons for being atheist through my childhood and teens boiled down to ignorance and faulty reasoning.

At some point in college, I bothered to actually learn something about religion and theology. The faulty reasoning went out the door right along with the ignorance. I've considered myself a theist ever since I learned that "god" does not mean "God" (aka, the Abrahamic deity and all qualities associated thereof). That said, I don't consider the terms "atheist" and "theist" to be all that useful or informative. I'm not attached to the label.

There's more nuances to the story than this, I suppose, but this is the simple version.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

This is a fantastic topic! I don't think I've seen anything like that here on RF, asking the way you are looking at the possible variables. I think there are more than a few of us here, and we all have our stories.

To answer this question for me, really is the whole book was working on at some point to finish. Maybe answering this here will spur me on further as a launching point. It's a book's worth of material and then some to begin to cover all of it. In short however..... ;)

I didn't begin in religion. I began as some kid in an average middle-class American home where religion was really more peripheral, culture things like Christmas, Easter, and stuff. Just plain jane white bread cultural "Lutheran". No teachings about God in any "believe this" kind of way. Didn't really understand much of any of all what I had been exposed to around me culturally anyway. It seemed "suspect" to me, kind of foreign ideas as such. Probably why it wasn't taught in the home. My father was very much a rational person, business man, important roles, and such. He was cynical towards religion, my mother less so. Yet he was a quitely spiritual man, who saw life as full of beauty.

I think I just wrote the first paragraph of my book! Thanks. :)

I think from here the rest short history will make some sense. Fast forward, at 18 I had an Awakening experience, as I would later come to understand them. It was an Enlightenment experience which shattered reality open to me, as a young confused man facing an existential crisis of being. This came in two parts over the span of a week's time. It forever changed my life.

This left me in search of understanding this immediately after the experienced had gone. That search pointed me towards religion, which in my youthful naivety, eagerly took what I could find which offered anything remotely close to what that was. That got me thrown into religion for the first time. Did the whole thing, soaked it all up like dry sponge. Until that sponge got too full. That's when I left them.

I was too rational for that stuff I was being taught about God, this Ultimate Reality I had experienced. It not only did not match this "God" that I experienced, throwing people into a hell I knew in my own experience was impossible to even exist as God is Absolute Love. It also didn't stand up to reason! It was all a house of cards fumbled together to stand in a certain order by them and then deemed "the truth".

So, given that I had already quickly outgrown the spiritual clothes they offered for me to wear as part of their church, it didn't take too much examination of them with the eye of reason to give me the justification to make my exit from their ranks, on search of a new horizon of truth to explore, sans them. That took me into a wasteland. Other churches had even less to offer.

This wasteland period found me giving up on religion and going it alone, without finding anything that could offer any meaning to my experience, or possible direction to follow. Then one day, I had a new "awakening" experience of sorts that led me to take that "idea" of God the church I was in and kick it off the throne. It was an intellectual "ah hah" type moment. Evolution doesn't require that kind of God to exist, as they had tried to tell me what God was. (It caused a lot of conflict for me).

So with that gone, I now was free from the Old Testament deity that I tried to recognize in my experience (very little in fact). But now that was gone, on with dissecting the rest. The whole thing about religion, and the Bible, it's history, all the critical analysis, all the modern scholars, understanding science, anthropology, ethnology, linguists, semiotics, philosophy and so forth.

I proudly debunked all the literalism I had be handed during those days. My rational mind which saved me from truly becoming them, now made me a sharp edge against which I could slice through them deftly, surgically. For ten years I moderated at an atheist cite and was a champion to the cause for many with my rational mind and knowledge being as it is.

But, yet, in all of this, there was that spiritual side that could not be denied for too long. That was very real, and in fact is the very core of who I have been ever since that experience at 18. As a gust of wind would come up to me and I felt my soul move out into the universe, this seemed a rather hypocritical thing for an atheist to admit publicly. It was the experience of God, and yet I didn't believe in that God anymore.

Fast forward again, keeping reading, keeping searching, postmodernism, and into post-postmodernism. Enter in meditation practice.

Then I began where I began at 18, decades now later. It immediately opened me to what I had experience at 18 again, picking up right there, before the onset of religion and it's resultant atheism. What had started as an atheist for me to find the search for the Holy Grail, a way to bring faith and reason together, to bring spiritual experience and the rational mind together, had in fact been found. It is in transcending them both, as they are really the same thing. Just different eyes on the same Face. Each eye informs the other without needing to lie. Each grows from each other.

So atheism is something that is very much a part of me, as it denies the mythical which seeks to deny the rational. But it fails to be rational enough, to the point it sees its own inherent irrationality. If fails to offer an understanding of the spiritual that registers both spiritual and rationally. When it doesn't outright dismiss the spiritual as "woo", it intellectualizes it away as "just the brain" or something. That's not satisfying to me on every level. So my body outgrew those clothes as well.

That's where my search took me to, the limits of the rational to be able speak adequate to the Whole which embraces the rational and the spiritual as inseparable. It's going beyond the rational, going beyond theism and it's offshoot atheism. It denies nothing, and embraces everything.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member

There are scores and scores of these, so if you are interested in more, just let me know. I apologize about the poor sound of the first two at least. These are excellent confessions though.
animated-smileys-hands-fingers-31.gif
The last one is great!

AS A young man, I was disillusioned by the hate-filled history of religion. I also did not understand why God had not put an end to poverty and injustice or why so many religious people do not practice what the Bible says. So I became an atheist, believing that only political revolution could fix the world. click link to read on.

For more than a decade, Frédéric Dumoulin has worked in the field of pharmaceutical research at Ghent University in Belgium. At one time he was an atheist. But later Frédéric became convinced that God created life. click link to read on.

Atheism is predominant in China, so at school I was taught about evolution. click link to read on.

Short but sweet.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Yes to the supernatural event. I'm more or less a hermit personality wise, so no need for a community, or even much ideology for that matter, although the ideology I enjoy does support the events.

PureX

Veteran Member
I wanted to validate my "non-material" experiences but honestly couldn't so stopped claiming non-material experiences had any basis in reality to myself.
So, ... "If I can't own them with my intellect (presume control) then they aren't real"? This is what I hear a lot of atheists saying these days.