• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Evolution" of God

Etritonakin

Herein I am challenging the idea of a biblical God who has always existed as a complex creator -and considering few other related points.

"Evolution" referred to development before it was specifically applied to biological changes.
(It is also true that biological changes are dependent upon developments which long preceded them -but more on that in another post.)

As I read biblical scripture, I noticed that it was not consistent with the idea of a God who has always existed AS a complex creator. It does state that God is eternal, but other statements clarify that statement.

It is clear that God is said to have "always" existed, but that does not mean God did not DEVELOP.

Being the sum of all things (as opposed to our selves which are only a portion) -or that which is, was and will be -would put God in the position of "most high" -and would also allow for the attributes of omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence. HOWEVER, as the fact that the overall situation of "reality" changes indicates, those attributes would apply differently as things developed or were created.
For example, when we create something new, it creates something new to know -to be aware of -and to manipulate.

One indication that God develops is that "the creation" once did not exist. Its existence (or the present configuration of the portion of everything it represents) is dependent upon planning, design and work.
That is definitely indicated in scripture... (Job 38: 4Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. 5Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? 6Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof? ). It is also true that God would necessarily have developed AS a creator -proportional to the design, planning and work involved -as he created new things, even if his specific capacity to do so was "always" the same.

However, it is not logical that his specific capacity did not develop, either -as all things must be preceded by that which both GENERALLY -AND THEN SPECIFICALLY -make them possible. Complex interactions must be preceded by and built upon simple interactions, and complex creativity must be preceded by and built upon simple abilities. This leads to the question... God may have ALWAYS been -but has he ALWAYS been able to declare "I AM THAT AM"?

Many scriptures support (if not directly indicate) the idea of a developing God -especially if we work backward from that which is -and WILL BE. For example... if of the INCREASE of his (technically their) government... there will be no end, it begs the question "HOW LITTLE did he/they once govern?"

If "God" is the sum of all things, it also means that what he creates is created from himself -a logical separation and reconfiguration of a portion of the whole which is "God".
This leads to the question.. "If God did not decide upon his own basic existence, how much did he decide ABOUT his own existence?" (It would also mean that infinite increase and creation would be by infinite subdivision of "1" -of the whole of that which has always existed)

It seems logical to me that a developing God would have decided AS INCREASINGLY ABLE.
Certain things logically precede self-awareness, true self-aware decision-making, etc., accurate decisions must be based on the true nature of reality and are limited to presently-available options (even if "all things are possible"). Some things must precede a "brain", some things are "no-brainers" -yet require the existence of a brain to accomplish -and some things are variables which can be decided upon by "personal" preference. Such a God would have had to understand the basics of his own existence before proceeding.

A developing God would also explain why God is necessarily perfect. He would have HAD to be -or he would be directly affected. (We have many buffers in place which allow us to err many times in many ways before we are terribly affected as we learn, but such would not have been the case initially -and those buffers are dependent upon completely predictable interactions and systems.)

(The idea of a developing God would include the idea that God did not decide upon his own existence -but that would necessarily be true even if he "always" existed as a complex creator. It is not different from our best explanation for the existence of anything -which logically can not come from absolute nothing -that being "It just was")

I will try to add more supporting scripture while still able to edit

Comment, debate, consider possible ramifications, whatever....

Last edited:

sooda

Veteran Member
Herein I am challenging the idea of a God who has always existed as a complex creator -and considering few other related points.

"Evolution" referred to development before it was specifically applied to biological changes.
(It is also true that biological changes are dependent upon developments which long preceded them -but more on that in another post.)

As I read biblical scripture, I noticed that it was not consistent with the idea of a God who has always existed AS a complex creator. It does state that God is eternal, but other statements clarify that statement.

It is clear that God is said to have "always" existed, but that does not mean God did not DEVELOP.

Being the sum of all things (as opposed to our selves which are only a portion) -or that which is, was and will be -would put God in the position of "most high" -and would also allow for the attributes of omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence. HOWEVER, as the fact that the overall situation of "reality" changes indicates, those attributes would apply differently as things developed or were created.
For example, when we create something new, it creates something new to know -to be aware of -and to manipulate.

One indication that God develops is that "the creation" once did not exist. Its existence (or the present configuration of the portion of everything it represents) is dependent upon planning, design and work.
That is definitely indicated in scripture... (Job 38: 4Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. 5Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? 6Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;). It is also true that God would necessarily have developed AS a creator -proportional to the design, planning and work involved -as he created new things, even if his specific capacity to do so was "always" the same.

However, it is not logical that his specific capacity did not develop, either -as all things must be preceded by that which both GENERALLY -AND THEN SPECIFICALLY -make them possible. Complex interactions must be preceded by and built upon simple interactions, and complex creativity must be preceded by and built upon simple abilities. This leads to the question... God may have ALWAYS been -but has he ALWAYS been able to declare "I AM THAT AM"?

Many scriptures support (if not directly indicate) the idea of a developing God -especially if we work backward from that which is -and WILL BE. For example... if of the INCREASE of his (technically their) government there will be no end, it begs the question "HOW little did he/they once govern?"

If "God" is the sum of all things, it also means that what he creates is created from himself -a logical separation and reconfiguration of a portion of the whole which is "God".
This leads to the question.. "If God did not decide upon his own basic existence, how much did he decide ABOUT his own existence.

It seems logical to me that a developing God would have decided AS INCREASINGLY ABLE.
Certain things logically precede self-awareness, true self-aware decision-making, etc., accurate decisions must be based on the true nature of reality and are limited to presently-available options (even if "all things are possible"). Some things must precede a "brain", some things are "no-brainers" -yet require the existence of a brain to accomplish -and some things are variables which can be decided upon by "personal" preference. Such a God would have had to understand the basics of his own existence before proceeding.

A developing God would also explain why God is necessarily perfect. He would have HAD to be -or he would be directly affected. (We have many buffers in place which allow us to err many times in many ways before we are terribly affected as we learn, but such would not have been the case initially -and those buffers are dependent upon completely predictable interactions and systems.)

(The idea of a developing God would include the idea that God did not decide upon his own existence -but that would necessarily be true even if he "always" existed as a complex creator. It is not different from our best explanation for the existence of anything -which logically can not come from absolute nothing -that being "It just was")

The Ugaritic tablets of Ras Shamra make it abundantly clear God evolved.

Road Less Traveled

Maybe god(s) wrote a script, killed itself/themselves and live vicariously through their puppet creation in which they carry on creation, and evolve throughout the entire process.

Or maybe one person or a group of people got together one day and thought it would be evil genius to invent god(s) and writings so they can have power and control over the rest of other people.

Or both.

Last edited:

Terry Sampson

Question for purposes of clarifying in my mind: I can't imagine anything that evolved, evolving with out changing. But can something change without evolving? IMO, yes.

Ellen Brown

Herein I am challenging the idea of a biblical God who has always existed as a complex creator -and considering few other related points.

That is definitely indicated in scripture... (Job 38: 4Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. 5Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? 6Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof? ). It is also true that God would necessarily have developed AS a creator -proportional to the design, planning and work involved -as he created new things, even if his specific capacity to do so was "always" the same.

Many scriptures support (if not directly indicate) the idea of a developing God -especially if we work backward from that which is -and WILL BE. For example... if of the INCREASE of his (technically their) government... there will be no end, it begs the question "HOW LITTLE did he/they once govern?"

This leads to the question.. "If God did not decide upon his own basic existence, how much did he decide ABOUT his own existence?" (It would also mean that infinite increase and creation would be by infinite subdivision of "1" -of the whole of that which has always existed)

Trying to function within the limits of the known Religions is painful and full of error. For me, God, The Creator, Allah SWT, Braman ( a term new to me) perhaps happened at The Big Bang, or perhaps he caused the Big Bang? After many years in Christianity, and Islam, lots of it never felt right. I've seen evidence that the Universe IS the Supreme Being. The rest is just dogma concocted by men?

Etritonakin

Trying to function within the limits of the known Religions is painful and full of error. For me, God, The Creator, Allah SWT, Braman ( a term new to me) perhaps happened at The Big Bang, or perhaps he caused the Big Bang? After many years in Christianity, and Islam, lots of it never felt right. I've seen evidence that the Universe IS the Supreme Being. The rest is just dogma concocted by men?
The "big bang" may have been the beginning of the "physical" universe, but even the singularity which essentially extracted to become the universe represents an extreme amount of stored information -like a seed which will become what it will based on its makeup -from already-available resources.
I also see it as necessary that a self-aware intelligence preceded and essentially packaged it before it extracted -due in part to the fact that it is specifically purposeful (many worlds were produced which we -many creative beings capable of experiencing excitement, awe and wonder -now imagine inhabiting, etc.).
I see it as impossible to function within "the limits of known religions" -because God is so much more than we could presently know -but the religion given by God and described in the bible is a set of beliefs and practices which are only the beginning of learning about God. Sort of 'do this first, then we'll move on'.
If the term "universe" included even that which may have preceded the physical universe -and that which may be external to it -I would be inclined to agree. I see everything dynamic as "alive" -such as a stone which is not truly motionless, as its components are constantly in motion -and may be reconfigured to become "intelligent".
A moon, for example, might seem like just a big bunch of rocks and dust, but could be the equivalent of our big toenail. Toenails are not considered to be living, but they are part of the whole of a living thing.
No one part of us would be considered by most to be alive, but we are "alive" to due to the properties and interactions of those things being in a certain configuration -and being 'controlled' by various systems -including the brain.
I definitely believe 'everything' has/has developed a mind -and is similarly controlled.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
In my non-dual (God and creation are not-two) Advaita Vedanta spiritual beliefs, God/Brahman is eternal and unchanging. It is man's ability to understand that evolves.

Chris Lovel

searcher

I am always amazed that so many people quote verses from the Bible as if they are the absolute truth, no discussion. I suggest this cannot be true, most texts in the Bible were written 70 or more years after the fact. Who can remember the exact words?. Also there was none present to record the words in any fashion, therefore most scripture are in fact "heresay" not acceptable in court and not acceptable as truth to me. I quote from Dr. Robert Proctor of Stanford U. on the definition of Agnotology, "it is the deliberate creation of ignorance propagated under the guise of balanced debate when in fact there is no debate. We live in a world of radical ignorance.

Etritonakin

I am always amazed that so many people quote verses from the Bible as if they are the absolute truth, no discussion. I suggest this cannot be true, most texts in the Bible were written 70 or more years after the fact. Who can remember the exact words?. Also there was none present to record the words in any fashion, therefore most scripture are in fact "heresay" not acceptable in court and not acceptable as truth to me. I quote from Dr. Robert Proctor of Stanford U. on the definition of Agnotology, "it is the deliberate creation of ignorance propagated under the guise of balanced debate when in fact there is no debate. We live in a world of radical ignorance.
Apart from considering an existent God having a hand in things, scripture certainly does get twisted (replacing Passover with Easter, etc., etc.) -but I would trust the "hearsay" of those back then much more than the real-time news of today. They were quite careful about getting things exactly right (until some purposefully changed things for various reasons).

I was challenging the idea of a God who/which did not develop -according to available scripture.

I have done plenty of research and had many discussions about what I accept -as well as many experiences. Some things can be generally verified -such as everyone actually keeping the commandments producing a wonderful world. Other things can be verified by research if referring to the past -and experience when referring to the present and future -such as prophecy (for those willing to research it with an open mind).
Some things in the past will be shown to be true by experiencing the future. For example... we were not there when God laid the foundations of the earth (figuratively) -and we can not go back to that point to prove God did anything in that sense -but things we will experience in the future will make us quite certain God is telling the truth about that.

You don't have to believe anything.... until you do.

FooYang

God used to be a superman guy that everybody had sex with, now he's a superman guy that people claim to have sex with but we can't find him to examine the size of his groin. Now we have to have sex with people instead of God or gods.

sooda

Veteran Member
Maybe god(s) wrote a script, killed itself/themselves and live vicariously through their puppet creation in which they carry on creation, and evolve throughout the entire process.

Or maybe one person or a group of people got together one day and thought it would be evil genius to invent god(s) and writings so they can have power and control over the rest of other people.

Or both.

The one God evolved from the Canaanite pantheon in Syria.