• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution not God

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Again, look at culture, religious practices, sexual practices et al. And then ask yourself the question, if it was "all about sex", why didn't they make it consistent with all the peoples the conquered?
Another dodge, just as I expected. Well Kenny, you've once again confirmed my impressions of fundamentalist Christians. And I suppose since I'll just give up here and not waste any more of my time chasing another one of y'all around, trying to get you to answer basic questions, you'll be patting yourself on the back, congratulating yourself on fending off another non-believer.

I'll just repeat....this sort of thing as a major factor in me never being a Christian.

Audie

Veteran Member
Another dodge, just as I expected. Well Kenny, you've once again confirmed my impressions of fundamentalist Christians. And I suppose since I'll just give up here and not waste any more of my time chasing another one of y'all around, trying to get you to answer basic questions, you'll be patting yourself on the back, congratulating yourself on fending off another non-believer.

I'll just repeat....this sort of thing as a major factor in me never being a Christian.
Won't say a major factor but its one of many for me.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Won't say a major factor but its one of many for me.
I've told this story several times, so I'll keep it short. ;)

I was a very inquisitive kid, the kind who constantly asked questions and gobbled up whatever info people gave me in response. Our church really, really didn't like that. I still remember being about 8 or 9 years old and while I was coloring a picture of Noah's ark, I asked our Sunday School teacher how the people who wrote the Bible knew the entire earth was flooded, since they didn't know that North and South America even existed. Keep in mind, I didn't ask questions in an attempt to argue or debate, I really was just curious and wanted to know. I guess that was the final straw for our church leaders, because they kept my mom after church and told her that I asked too many questions and she needed to teach me what it meant to have faith. To her credit, my mom told them I was a very curious little boy and she wasn't about to squash that.

As I grew older I started asking more, and better questions, and I quickly noticed that most of the time their reactions were like Kenny's here....dodge and avoid. When I turned 15, my parents allowed me to choose for myself whether to attend church. I chose not to. When my mom asked why, I was pretty blunt and told her that none of it made sense to me and it felt like whenever I asked questions to try and understand, the people at the church couldn't explain and acted like merely asking questions was a terrible thing. So if that's what the faith is, it wasn't for me.

Of course I'm simplifying a bit here, but hopefully you get the gist. When people ask why I'm not Christian, I tell them that it makes no sense to me, and no matter who I asked or what I read, it never did.

Audie

Veteran Member

I was a very inquisitive kid, the kind who constantly asked questions and gobbled up whatever info people gave me in response. Our church really, really didn't like that. I still remember being about 8 or 9 years old and while I was coloring a picture of Noah's ark, I asked our Sunday School teacher how the people who wrote the Bible knew the entire earth was flooded, since they didn't know that North and South America even existed. Keep in mind, I didn't ask questions in an attempt to argue or debate, I really was just curious and wanted to know. I guess that was the final straw for our church leaders, because they kept my mom after church and told her that I asked too many questions and she needed to teach me what it meant to have faith. To her credit, my mom told them I was a very curious little boy and she wasn't about to squash that.

As I grew older I started asking more, and better questions, and I quickly noticed that most of the time their reactions were like Kenny's here....dodge and avoid. When I turned 15, my parents allowed me to choose for myself whether to attend church. I chose not to. When my mom asked why, I was pretty blunt and told her that none of it made sense to me and it felt like whenever I asked questions to try and understand, the people at the church couldn't explain and acted like merely asking questions was a terrible thing. So if that's what the faith is, it wasn't for me.

Of course I'm simplifying a bit here, but hopefully you get the gist. When people ask why I'm not Christian, I tell them that it makes no sense to me, and no matter who I asked or what I read, it never did.
I've heard similar srories

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Yeah, for me it start a bit later as I was not stopped from reading or trying to understand anything as I grew up in a secular country.
It was when I started asking how people knew what right and wrong was. Or how come there are so many versions of truth, evidence, science, rationality and so on.
Over time I learned that is not really about religion as such. Rather it is about different culture and understandings and mine is not special,

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Yeah, for me it start a bit later as I was not stopped from reading or trying to understand anything as I grew up in a secular country.
It was when I started asking how people knew what right and wrong was. Or how come there are so many versions of truth, evidence, science, rationality and so on.
Over time I learned that is not really about religion as such. Rather it is about different culture and understandings and mine is not special,
That's really interesting. Thanks for sharing! :)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I love how you use broad brushes over nothing.

Sounds more like a personal issue to me while you dodge my questions..

nPeace

Veteran Member
"If/ then I apologize" is a shabby non apology as I'd think
any adult would know.

" Jesus had to relieve himself" is not in the Bible. We all have intestines.
Or sane people think so
That its not in the bible, though, means Jesus didnt.
By your clean minded thinkin'.
o_O :nomouth:
Jesus was a perfect man. Not sinful.
That is in the Bible.
Anything outside that is from someone's mind.
Is such a mind, thinking clean thoughts?

Zwing

…as long as an idea is not overly detrimental to the survival of the species, it gets passed on.
Are you suggesting that “ideas” (or even “patterns of thinking”) are transmitted genetically? This would represent an extremely bold statement.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Are you suggesting that “ideas” (or even “patterns of thinking”) are transmitted genetically? This would represent an extremely bold statement.

Personality traits get passed on but I was specifically referring to culture.