• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution is not observable admits Jerry Coyne

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Yeah but any idiot can figure out day means period of time not 24hr.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yeah but any idiot can figure out day means period of time not 24hr.
Even though "yom" generally means "day", it can also be used in my symbolic ways, such as "a thousand years is but a day [yom] in the eyes of God". But this doesn't in any way go against what I posted, and all it seems that you know how to do well is to insult anyone who dares to disagree with you, which we even tell little children not to do

But the reality is that you really didn't deal with what I posted that you responded to with the above as the main issue was the simple fact that there is simply no objectively-derived evidence that one deity made all. Now maybe try this time try to respond to this instead of creating another strawman.

Lyndon

Premium Member
:facepalm:

:facepalm:

And just what part is accurate?

The order of events in the Creation story is fairly accurate for a primitive myth, given the premise that a day refers to a period of time, possibly millions or billions of years.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Even though "yom" generally means "day", it can also be used in my symbolic ways, such as "a thousand years is but a day [yom] in the eyes of God". But this doesn't in any way go against what I posted, and all it seems that you know how to do well is to insult anyone who dares to disagree with you, which we even tell little children not to do

But the reality is that you really didn't deal with what I posted that you responded to with the above as the main issue was the simple fact that there is simply no objectively-derived evidence that one deity made all. Now maybe try this time try to respond to this instead of creating another strawman.

Sorry but I don't believe in strawmen, I wasn't even arguing with or referring to your comments, seems like you just want to start an argument.

metis

Sorry but I don't believe in strawmen, I wasn't even arguing with or referring to your comments, seems like you just want to start an argument.
You throw insults at me and then blame me for starting an argument?

Try something unique: actually deal with the point or question that was asked in such a way as to not be insulting.

metis

The order of events in the Creation story is fairly accurate for a primitive myth, given the premise that a day refers to a period of time, possibly millions or billions of years.
Are you aware that there's a parallel story in Babylonian mythology and that there are at least a fair number of historians that believe my people took that story and modified it to put forth our own teachings? In northern Israel, a tablet with one of the Babylonian creation narratives was found, so it must be that at least some of my people knew about it prior to the writing of Genesis.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Absolute rubbish. Anything can become "fairly accurate" if it gets rewritten whenever it is shown to be inaccurate.
Tom

Lyndon

Premium Member
Genesis hasn't been "rewritten" for over 3000 years, explain that, you're saying they had a better understanding of modern science in 1000 BC than they did in 2000 BC or 3000BC, I think not!!

Skwim

Veteran Member
Hmmm. I don't think so.

According to Genesis 1, (NIV) the Biblical order of creation

1st) Heavens, Earth

2nd) Sun

3rd) Rotation of earth (Day and Night)

4rd) Water

5th) Sky

6th) Land

7th) Plants

8th) Rotation of Earth (Day and Night again)

9th) Sun (again) Moon

10th) Stars

11th) Creatures

12th) Humans​

Last edited:

metis

Genesis hasn't been "rewritten" for over 3000 years, explain that, you're saying they had a better understanding of modern science in 1000 BC than they did in 2000 BC or 3000BC, I think not!!
The Babylonian tablet predates the writing of Genesis by roughly a thousand years, so your response above makes no sense whatsoever. All you are doing is spouting that which you have an extremely limited understanding about.

Lyndon

Premium Member
I'm sorry if my musings are over your heads, be confident in your belief that you know it all, and be happy!!

The Neo Nerd

I'm quite sure this is typical quote mining out of context so I will address this.

The quote stands on it's own feet. It is impossible to observe macroevolution on a human time scale.

So it's not so much quote mining as Rome's inablility or let's face it unwillingness to understand how long it takes.

-Q

outhouse

Atheistically
. It is impossible to observe macroevolution on a human time scale.

Can we agree it is a term that is most often used by creationist with little education on the topic?

But yes I stand corrected thank you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroevolution

A more practical definition of the term describes it as changes occurring on geological time scales, in contrast to microevolution, which occurs on the timescale of human lifetimes