• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution is not observable admits Jerry Coyne

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
You don't read at all do you?

All of these academies state it is fact.

http://www.interacademies.net/10878/13901.aspx

The following academies have endorsed this statement

Albanian Academy of Sciences
National Academy of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences, Argentina
Australian Academy of Science
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Bangladesh Academy of Sciences
The Royal Academies for Science and the Arts of Belgium
Academy of Sciences and Arts of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Brazilian Academy of Sciences
Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
RSC: The Academies of Arts, Humanities and Sciences of Canada
Academia Chilena de Ciencias
Chinese Academy of Sciences
Academia Sinica, China, Taiwan
Colombian Academy of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences
Croatian Academy of Arts and Sciences
Cuban Academy of Sciences
Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters
Academy of Scientific Research and Technology, Egypt
Académie des Sciences, France
Union of German Academies of Sciences and Humanities
The Academy of Athens, Greece
Hungarian Academy of Sciences
Indian National Science Academy
Indonesian Academy of Sciences
Academy of Sciences of the Islamic Republic of Iran
Royal Irish Academy
Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities
Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, Italy
Science Council of Japan
Kenya National Academy of Sciences
National Academy of Sciences of the Kyrgyz Republic
Latvian Academy of Sciences
Lithuanian Academy of Sciences
Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts
Academia Mexicana de Ciencias
Mongolian Academy of Sciences
Academy of the Kingdom of Morocco
The Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences
Academy Council of the Royal Society of New Zealand
Nigerian Academy of Sciences
Pakistan Academy of Sciences
Palestine Academy for Science and Technology
Academia Nacional de Ciencias del Peru
National Academy of Science and Technology, The Philippines
Polish Academy of Sciences
Académie des Sciences et Techniques du Sénégal
Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts
Singapore National Academy of Sciences
Slovak Academy of Sciences
Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts
Academy of Science of South Africa
Royal Academy of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences of Spain
National Academy of Sciences, Sri Lanka
Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
Council of the Swiss Scientific Academies
Academy of Sciences, Republic of Tajikistan
The Caribbean Academy of Sciences
Turkish Academy of Sciences
The Uganda National Academy of Sciences
The Royal Society, UK
US National Academy of Sciences
Uzbekistan Academy of Sciences
Academia de Ciencias Físicas, Matemáticas y Naturales de Venezuela
Zimbabwe Academy of Sciences
African Academy of Sciences
The Academy of Sciences for the Developing World (TWAS)
The Executive Board of the International Council for Science (ICSU)

Don't see anywhere in that statement where it says the entire theory of Evolution is established as a fact, portions of it maybe, that's not what I am arguing.

outhouse

Atheistically
Don't see anywhere in that statement where it says the entire theory of Evolution is established as a fact, portions of it maybe, that's not what I am arguing.

You don't read at all do you?

http://www.interacademies.net/10878/13901.aspx

We agree that the following evidence-based facts about the origins and evolution of the Earth and of life on this planet have been established by numerous observations and independently derived experimental results from a multitude of scientific disciplines. Even if there are still many open questions about the precise details of evolutionary change, scientific evidence has never contradicted these results:

1. In a universe that has evolved towards its present configuration for some 11 to 15 billion years, our Earth formed approximately 4.5 billion years ago.
  2. Since its formation, the Earth – its geology and its environments – has changed under the effect of numerous physical and chemical forces and continues to do so.
  3. Life appeared on Earth at least 2.5 billion years ago. The evolution, soon after, of photosynthetic organisms enabled, from at least 2 billion years ago, the slow transformation of the atmosphere to one containing substantial quantities of oxygen. In addition to the release of the oxygen that we breathe, the process of photosynthesis is the ultimate source of fixed energy and food upon which human life on the planet depends.
  4. Since its first appearance on Earth, life has taken many forms, all of which continue to evolve, in ways which palaeontology and the modern biological and biochemical sciences are describing and independently confirming with increasing precision. Commonalities in the structure of the genetic code of all organisms living today, including humans, clearly indicate their common primordial origin.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Macroevolution has not been observed. Yes, i have seen the above articles many times such as the lizards. These lizards just changed size, head shape and colour etc., but they were still morphologically clearly lizards. They didn't evolve into something else: "As a result, individuals on Pod Mrcaru have heads that are longer, wider and taller than those on Pod Kopiste, which translates into a big increase in bite force", head shape changes has also been observed in human populations within historic times, but the end product was still human.
If all you require are examples of directly observed speciation, and I have no clue why you'd find that of any more interest than that we can direly infer these days from genetics, here you go:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/speciation.html

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/evolution-watching-speciation-occur-observations/

But as I stated earlier, this is a game of moving goalposts, since we have clearly demonstrated observed speciation, you now ask for not the species level, not the genus level, not the family level, but the order level, and when you get that you will move the goal posts to every higher taxonomic levels (while refusing to define either "type" or "kind."). What utter rubbish!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The evolutionist Jerry Coyne has written a book called "Why evolution is true". He explains in the book evolution is not observable.

If you are expecting a book with the title, "Why Evolution is True" to contain proof for the theory of evolution, you will be disappointed. The book is just a list of excuses why evolutionists can’t prove evolution is true.

Evolution can not be proven becuase nobody has ever seen it happening! Science is meant to be based on direct observation but evolutionists like Jerry Coyne believes in things they can not see.

"Given the gradual pace of evolution, it’s unreasonable to expect to see selection transforming one “type” of plant or animal into another—so-called macroevolution—within a human lifetime." - Coyne

I assume you have never read Coyne, but that you have merely read a criticism of Coyne by someone whom you trusted to tell you the truth about the book, Why Evolution is True. Would you mind telling us who you trusted? I'm genuinely curious who is putting out the "information" you seem to be parroting.

Lyndon

Premium Member
I'm willing to bet almost no one has read Coyne, except the wilipedia entry after the OP brought him up!!

Lyndon

Premium Member

Perhaps you are the one, Loo, or as you call in america, outhouse, that has trouble reading what I say, I mentioned the entire theory of evolution as not being established fact, not smaller parts of it, as mentioned in your quote. Obviously some kinds of evolution occurs, otherwise the word would exist to describe nothing. But when we talk about the theory of evolution, we are talking about the whole process, not just if life evolved, but how and why life evolved, much of this is theory and not fact, and I stand by my statements which you obviously haven't taken the time to carefully read.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Speciation has been observed in some species. That was my context
I have already admitted not all speciation has been nor can be observed as Coyne noted.
Aye, but the extent of speciation which creationists want is larger than what we observe.
They want a dog to give birth to a cat, more or less.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Funny thing I've never heard scientists talking about the fact of evolution, I've heard of the theory of evolution, when did theory turn into fact? Is that some new development pioneered by RF posters?? Inquiring minds want to know!!
The "theory" & "fact" of evolution refer to different things.
The former is the biological mechanism (mutation, selection, reproduction, gene shift).
The latter is observable change in the fossil record.
It can also refer to the fact that evolution is also a useful tool for engineers, eg, evolutionary algorithms.
This is biomimicry, which inspires many factual things, eg, better wings, adhesives, robots.

Lyndon

Premium Member
The "theory" & "fact" of evolution refer to different things.
The former is the biological mechanism (mutation, selection, reproduction, gene shift).
The latter is observable change in the fossil record.
It can also refer to the fact that evolution is also a useful tool for engineers, eg, evolutionary algorithms.
This is biomimicry, which inspires many factual things, eg, better wings, adhesives, robots.

That's basically the point I was making, there are facts, and there are theories trying to explain those facts, The whole process, facts and theories, is called Evolution.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So far as I understand it, cases of speciation have been observed over time in populations of bacteria and perhaps other life forms. Those cases are facts of evolution.

The Theory of Evolution, on the other hand, is a group of hypotheses that seek to explain the diversity of life on earth.

Shad

Veteran Member
Evolutionist Eugene Koonin has debunked darwinism

"The summary of the state of affairs on the 150th anniversary of the Origin is somewhat shocking: in the post-genomic era, all major tenets of the Modern Synthesis are, if not outright overturned, replaced by a new and incomparably more complex vision of the key aspects of evolution (Box 1). So, not to mince words, the Modern Synthesis is gone."

The Origin at 150: is a new evolutionary synthesis in sight? Trends Genet 2009 Nov; 25(11): 473–475

Koonin supports evolution, read his work rather than quoting mining it. He actually makes a point that people like yourself, IDers, will take his work out of context just as you have done. You confuse Neo-Darwinism with evolution.

"Here I do not really understand the concern. I changed "ready-made" to "abruptly", to avoid any ID allusions and added clarifications but, beyond that, there is little I can do because this is an important sentence that accurately and clearly portrays a crucial and, to the very best of my understanding, real feature of evolutionary transitions. Will this be used by the ID camp? Perhaps – if they read that far into the paper. However, I am afraid that, if our goal as evolutionary biologists is to avoid providing any grist for the ID mill, we should simply claim that Darwin, "in principle", solved all the problems of the origin of biological complexity in his eye story, and only minor details remain to be filled in. Actually, I think the position of some ultra-darwinists is pretty close to that. However, I believe that this is totally counter-productive and such a notion is outright false. And, the ID folks are clever in their own perverse way, they see through such false simplicity and seize on it. I think we (students of evolution) should openly admit that emergence of new levels of complexity is a complex problem and should try to work out solutions some of which could be distinctly non-orthodox; ID, however, does not happen to be a viable solution to any problem. I think this is my approach here and elsewhere."

http://www.biologydirect.com//content/2/1/21

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The evolutionist Jerry Coyne has written a book called "Why evolution is true". He explains in the book evolution is not observable.

If you are expecting a book with the title, "Why Evolution is True" to contain proof for the theory of evolution, you will be disappointed. The book is just a list of excuses why evolutionists can’t prove evolution is true.

Evolution can not be proven becuase nobody has ever seen it happening! Science is meant to be based on direct observation but evolutionists like Jerry Coyne believes in things they can not see.

"Given the gradual pace of evolution, it’s unreasonable to expect to see selection transforming one “type” of plant or animal into another—so-called macroevolution—within a human lifetime." - Coyne
That's a very well-explained, valid and reasonable understanding of why expecting evolution to be "observed" in this way is a ridiculous expectation. It can be supported in a plethora of other ways, but since the timeline for change is so huge, it isn't going to be "observed" in this way specifically.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

Even without being "observable" in this way, there is not one alternative supported by verifiable evidence (like the ToE) that exists. So, it is certainly the best explanation for the development of life that we currently have.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Evolutionist Eugene Koonin has debunked darwinism

"The summary of the state of affairs on the 150th anniversary of the Origin is somewhat shocking: in the post-genomic era, all major tenets of the Modern Synthesis are, if not outright overturned, replaced by a new and incomparably more complex vision of the key aspects of evolution (Box 1). So, not to mince words, the Modern Synthesis is gone."

The Origin at 150: is a new evolutionary synthesis in sight? Trends Genet 2009 Nov; 25(11): 473–475
This is a claim about "the Modern Synthesis", not Darwinism in general. You are confused, my friend.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Once had a philosophy professor in college that said "the theory of evolution makes about as much since as a tornado hitting a junk yard and producing a 747...... but it is all we have so....."

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
This is a claim about "the Modern Synthesis", not Darwinism in general. You are confused, my friend.
Also, considering that the modern synthesis was basically (if I remember right) what replaced Darwinism 40 years ago (or maybe even longer ago).

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Once had a philosophy professor in college that said "the theory of evolution makes about as much since as a tornado hitting a junk yard and producing a 747...... but it is all we have so....."
Was it a science professor? If not, its no wonder why they didn't understand it.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Was it a science professor? If not, its no wonder why they didn't understand it.

No, as I said in the post, he was a philosophy professor. And I am not making an argument for or against, just interjecting a little levity into a rather bifurcated discussion