• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution is not observable admits Jerry Coyne

ArtieE

I was just assuming the point based on how he links free will, emotions and subjectivity together for his arguments. The emotion is not finding something beautiful as that is a judgment. The emotion I am talking about is if a painting triggered an emotion like say sadness. Based on this emotion one makes a judgement of the painting which would be a choice. It need not be beautiful. The sadness could be that the painting is horrible in which the choice could be the state of what people consider art.

An emotional response leads to a judgement (just removing specific emotions and judgements)
Sorry no idea what this means either...

Shad

Veteran Member
Sorry no idea what this means either...

Observation of X leads to an emotional response. This response triggers evaluation which results in a judgement.

Like I said I am assuming this is the argument he is making based on what he has said previously.

ArtieE

Observation of X leads to an emotional response. This response triggers evaluation which results in a judgement.
Can't see any connection between the two sentences or why one would lead to another. Can't see why an emotional response should trigger any evaluation or judgement.
Like I said I am assuming this is the argument he is making based on what he has said previously.
I think we just have to let him explain using different words if he can.

Shad

Veteran Member
Can't see any connection between the two sentences or why one would lead to another. Can't see why an emotional response should trigger any evaluation or judgement.I think we just have to let him explain using different words if he can.

Say someone insults you which results in an emotion, say anger. You can then make a choice regarding your actions to the insult.Walk away, respond with an insult or punch them in the face.

Keep in mind this is my understanding of what he is talking about. It may not be accurate at all. I agree he should be the one to answer this question. However you proposed the question to me not him. So you are asking for my view of his view.

ArtieE

Say someone insults you which results in an emotion, say anger. You can then make a choice regarding your actions to the insult.Walk away, respond with an insult or punch them in the face.
Sure, that sounds logical.
Keep in mind this is my understanding of what he is talking about. It may not be accurate at all. I agree he should be the one to answer this question. However you proposed the question to me not him. So you are asking for my view of his view.
I'll let him answer before I get terminally confused.

Milton Platt

Have you read the book?

Macroevolution has not been observed. Yes, i have seen the above articles many times such as the lizards. These lizards just changed size, head shape and colour etc., but they were still morphologically clearly lizards. They didn't evolve into something else: "As a result, individuals on Pod Mrcaru have heads that are longer, wider and taller than those on Pod Kopiste, which translates into a big increase in bite force", head shape changes has also been observed in human populations within historic times, but the end product was still human.

The difference between Micro and Macro is time.