• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

evolution is an ongoing process

Faust

Sorry if this is too loosely related but I'm curious.
For the most part I'm of the opinion that the majority of people who adhere to the theory of evolution believe it to be an ongoing process and therefore are more concerned with preserving the planet for the future and tend to be more reflective on personal responsibility as opposed to those who believe in creationism and live life with an eye towards an end point i.e. afterlife or higher existence.
Your thoughts?
Faust.

No*s

Captain Obvious
I live with an eye toward the end, but I firmly believe that we need to preserve this for our ancestors. How could I live with myself if I gave what would be my grandchildren or great grand children (I have no children lol) a living Hell to live in, simply because I chose to ignore the enviroment? No amount of "I didn't know..." could help then. I would be responsible for their suffering.

Faust

I've made a very broad statement here No*s.
I know that many who have an eye to an end are very concerned with preservation and indeed many belief systems teach these values, but my own personal experience has been rather depressing in this area.
Perhaps I've merely been unfortunate in my personal contact and I'm looking for reassurance, but if my experience reflects the norm I'm hoping that your response indicates an evolution in thought in this area.
Lol, but if evolution is an ongoing process who knows where that may "end up".
Sorry, bad joke. I'll probably be ashamed of it after I've slept.:D
Faust.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Seven generations... you should never make a major decision without thinking seven generations in advance. If it will help them rather than harm them then it is good.
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."

Wa:do

No*s

Captain Obvious
Faust said:
I've made a very broad statement here No*s.
I know that many who have an eye to an end are very concerned with preservation and indeed many belief systems teach these values, but my own personal experience has been rather depressing in this area.
Perhaps I've merely been unfortunate in my personal contact and I'm looking for reassurance, but if my experience reflects the norm I'm hoping that your response indicates an evolution in thought in this area.
Lol, but if evolution is an ongoing process who knows where that may "end up".
Sorry, bad joke. I'll probably be ashamed of it after I've slept.:D
Faust.

I understand. It seems to be a staple of "conservative" Protestant culture to believe that enviromentalism is here to subvert Christianity. As such, many of them believe it's a set of sensationalist propoganda. It doesn't help when some of that comes to light or when one side openly attacks the other.

It's a common mentality, and IMO, a very sad one. I don't think your experiences are that far off there, but I think it's largely because of this culture divide where nobody is allowed to cross over to the other side without giving up their status. It can get really aggrevating to me sometimes.