• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution has been observed... right?

tas8831

How often have you encountered a creationist who did understand the subject?

Maybe 2 or 4... In 25 years or so.
I can only think of a couple of times, and none of my debates with them lasted very long. I also was part of the group that (briefly) tried to debate Bill Dembski at the ISCID forum (I think that's what it was called), before he threw a fit and left.
Oh wow - I was on that forum for a while (under a different handle). Were you there in the John Bracht days? I've got a funny story about that guy.
Other than that, it's been what you described.....trying to debate science with people who don't know the first thing about it, and who don't want to know the first thing about it.
Yup. Yet they always seem to think they 'win' the debate. Tragic....

tas8831

You aren’t describing evolution. You are describing adaption.

Adaptation is epigenetic in nature. It is essentially just a flipping of switches that are already in the DNA. Meaning: the organism already has the contingencies built into it’s code to adapt to different circumstances by undergoing change.

Evolution, in contrast, is claimed to be capable creating new genetic code to unlock new capabilities that do not currently exist in that organisms DNA.

There is no observation of this ever happening. It is just speculation.

You can produce a great degree or variation by breeding dogs for certain traits - but no matter how much you try you will never be able to turn that dog into something resembling a monkey, lizard, fish, or bird.
The genetic information for it to express those kinds of traits is simply not it it’s genetic switchboard.

And we have no evidence to conclude this must be something that can happen if given enough time. That’s just speculation. The only reason that speculation is assumed to be true is because of an a priori commitment to materialism that leaves you with no other mechanism to explain how life came to exist. But you can’t prove materialism is the right way to view the world so you can’t assume you must find a materialistic cause for life.
I rate that post 'useful' for it documents the extent to which some creationists are hindered by the Dunning-Kruger effect. Worse, this one pretends to be a master logician who can point out every logical fallacy in anything anyone writes (even made up ones), yet cannot see it when he uses them himself.
That lack of self-awareness coupled with massive amounts of the D-K effect, and we have this masterpiece of non-science delivered with extreme confidence despite being nothing but bare assertion. Historical.

tas8831

You have failed to provide any logical arguments for why your "examples" meet the criteria of evolution rather than the concept of adaptation.
You have failed to provide any logical arguments for why your "examples" meet the criteria of adaptation rather than the concept of evolution.
Merely asserting they do doesn't demonstrate with logical reasons or evidence why you think they do.
If you can't provide such argumentation, then you are merely committing the fallacy of argument by assertion.

tas8831

You aren’t describing evolution. You are describing adaption.
Argument via assertion. Fallacy.
Adaptation is epigenetic in nature. It is essentially just a flipping of switches that are already in the DNA.
Evidence for these switches and a means of flipping them, please.
Meaning: the organism already has the contingencies built into it’s code to adapt to different circumstances by undergoing change.
Assertion fallacy, Evidence please.
Evolution, in contrast, is claimed to be capable creating new genetic code to unlock new capabilities that do not currently exist in that organisms DNA.
Fallacy of not knowing what the heck you are talking about. I suggest learning what the "genetic code" is.

infrabenji

Fallacy of not knowing what the heck you are talking about. I suggest learning what the "genetic code" is.
If you want some information on the mechanisms of evolution by natural selection I can help? One thing I see a clot of and I’m sure you do to is naming any fallacy they feel meets the criteria with out having done due diligence to understand the material. A scientific discourse isn’t really the place to try to prove error by logical fallacies. Even when fallacies are identified as the fault of the author that doesn’t mean the facts of the evidence are untrue. Simply that fallacies we’re used in error. This is where scientific discourse and philosophical debate sometimes diverge. In debates in College every once in a while one of us would try to trick our opponent by describing our argument using a fallacy as subtext so as to put our opponents in an untenable position. Hoping, of course, that the adjudicator didn’t notice. We don’t just call out fallacies. They’re essentially cheap shots and are only effectively used when they go unnoticed. People throw them around out here like party confetti hoping that one sticks. Logical fallacies in debates are rarely if ever described by name. Relying on naming fallacies as a counter point eliminates possible discourse that will make a more understandable and therefore more salient point to the observer. They are only one small component of a debate strategy. By calling out fallacy after fallacy in scientific discourse they’ve locked themselves into the position of being viewed, by the observer, as a victim of Dunning Krueger (as you mentioned aptly in a previous post), close minded, and incapable of making a counter argument. It’s much easier to dismiss facts off hand and focus on errors of fallacy than it is to understand the facts, the opponents position, and make cohesive counter arguments. I’m not trying to pin you down personally. I see so many people religious and atheist who rely solely on dismissing an argument off hand on the hunt for identifying and calling out logical fallacies that they do not address their opponents arguments in an influential way. In this regard the method for using logical fallacies is mis applied and effectively useless for scientific discourse. Lastly, if anyone is interested in understanding the mechanisms for natural selection and how organisms evolve over time I’d be happy to help explain to anyone who’s confused. Thanks for reading my novel hope you have an awesome day!

Last edited:

tas8831

If you want some information on the mechanisms of evolution by natural selection I can help? One thing I see a clot of and I’m sure you do to is naming any fallacy they feel meets the criteria with out having done due diligence to understand the material. A scientific discourse isn’t really the place to try to prove error by logical fallacies. Even when fallacies are identified as the fault of the author that doesn’t mean the facts of the evidence are untrue. Simply that fallacies we’re used in error. This is where scientific discourse and philosophical debate sometimes diverge. In debates in College every once in a while one of us would try to trick our opponent by describing our argument using a fallacy as subtext so as to put our opponents in an untenable position. Hoping, of course, that the adjudicator didn’t notice. We don’t just call out fallacies. They’re essentially cheap shots and are only effectively used when they go unnoticed. People throw them around out here like party confetti hoping that one sticks. Logical fallacies in debates are rarely if ever described by name. Relying on naming fallacies as a counter point eliminates possible discourse that will make a more understandable and therefore more salient point to the observer. They are only one small component of a debate strategy. By calling out fallacy after fallacy in scientific discourse they’ve locked themselves into the position of being viewed, by the observer, as a victim of Dunning Krueger (as you mentioned aptly in a previous post), close minded, and incapable of making a counter argument. It’s much easier to dismiss facts off hand and focus on errors of fallacy than it is to understand the facts, the opponents position, and make cohesive counter arguments. I’m not trying to pin you down personally. I see so many people religious and atheist who rely solely on dismissing an argument off hand on the hunt for identifying and calling out logical fallacies that they do not address their opponents arguments in an influential way. In this regard the method for using logical fallacies is mis applied and effectively useless for scientific discourse. Lastly, if you are interested in understanding the mechanisms for natural selection and how organisms evolve over time I’d be happy to help explain to anyone who’s confused. Thanks for reading my novel hope you have an awesome day!
Did you intend to reply to Rise? I was just giving him a taste of his own medicine.

Last edited:

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Maybe 2 or 4... In 25 years or so.
It's about the same for me.

Oh wow - I was on that forum for a while (under a different handle). Were you there in the John Bracht days? I've got a funny story about that guy.
I honestly don't remember. I was only there for a very short time, specifically to confront Dembski. The main thing I remember is several folks (myself included) trying to get him to look at published papers on topics he said no one had done research on, and Dembski crying that we were "elephant hurling" before running away.

Yup. Yet they always seem to think they 'win' the debate. Tragic....
Probably because to them a "win" isn't about scoring points in a debate as much as it's about them emerging from it with their faith in the Bible unscathed.

tas8831

I honestly don't remember. I was only there for a very short time, specifically to confront Dembski. The main thing I remember is several folks (myself included) trying to get him to look at published papers on topics he said no one had done research on, and Dembski crying that we were "elephant hurling" before running away..
Bracht was one of these 'ID is not about religion', 'ID is not creationism!' types. Active in the IDEA Center stuff, ID on Campus and all that. Then I came across an essay that he had written with Casey Luskin that was EXPLCITLY creationist/religious in nature, in which they admitted that ID was just a way to get creationism taken seriously, etc. He hemmed and hawed and said that Luskin put his name on the paper without his permission, etc. Hilarious...

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Bracht was one of these 'ID is not about religion', 'ID is not creationism!' types. Active in the IDEA Center stuff, ID on Campus and all that. Then I came across an essay that he had written with Casey Luskin that was EXPLCITLY creationist/religious in nature, in which they admitted that ID was just a way to get creationism taken seriously, etc. He hemmed and hawed and said that Luskin put his name on the paper without his permission, etc. Hilarious...
LOL....that's hilarious. That was always one of the more entertaining aspects of the ID creationism debates. "ID is not at all religious! It's all about science!" Then oftentimes not 10 minutes later the same person would go on and on about how ID shows the wonders of God's creation or something.

Fun times to reflect back on, especially given how quickly ID creationism flopped. :)

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I know - even the 'professionals' do that. They can't help but undermine their lies. Heck, even Meyer is reduced to writing God essays... Got to keep the cash flowing from the rubes.
I loved Dr. Barbara Forrest's testimony during the Dover trial, and all the different angles she took to expose the fraud. It was so great, I used it to write a series of essays on "Why ID is a Form of Creationism".

tas8831

I suppose as there were no perceived or fabricated "logical fallacies" employed, the creationist ran off.
So weird that @Rise stopped replying in this thread on July 21 when his many bluffs were called...
That you keep writing (argument by repetition) this nonsense about "new genetic code" proves that you do not understand genetics.
As I have explained to you before:

f5de6355003ee322782b26404ef0733a1d1a61b0.png

THAT is the 'genetic code.' There is nothing new to be made from it.

That you still use this middle-schoolish 'needs new genetic code blah blah blah' explains why you rely so much on bare assertion and hiding behind your logical fallacy boogeymen - you don't understand the science.

Argument by assertion fallacy. Merely asserting that this is the case doesn't prove it's true just because you assert it is.
You are required to provide specific evidence of this to prove your claim is true.
You still think adaptation is just epigenetics?

Argument by assertion and strawman fallacy. Merely asserting that this is the case doesn't prove it's true just because you assert it is.
You are required to provide specific evidence of this to prove your claim is true.
False claim, the Genetic Code is not genes.

" genetic code"...

19789999.jpg

Oh, sweet irony...

"Genetic code". Middle-school science.

Ignoring your repetitious naiveté for now, I do suggest you read a post in a thread I made that regards, in part, your claims such as this 'new code' silliness, and what you claim is not in evidence.
How significantly? How do you measure that? Please explain.

Argument by assertion and a poor analogy.
All I need is one example to prove your mere assertion incorrect. As you do not seem very competent in the area of actual (as opposed to the simplistic 'genetics via analogy' that people like you tend to employ) genetics, I have bolded the relevant parts:

Group II Introns Generate Functional Chimeric Relaxase Enzymes with Modified Specificities through Exon Shuffling at Both the RNA and DNA Level
Abstract
...In contrast to their eukaryotic derivatives, bacterial group II introns have largely been considered as harmful selfish mobile retroelements that parasitize the genome of their host. As a challenge to this view, we recently uncovered a new intergenic trans-splicing pathway that generates an assortment of mRNA chimeras. The ability of group II introns to combine disparate mRNA fragments was proposed to increase the genetic diversity of the bacterial host by shuffling coding sequences. ...We demonstrated that some of these compound relaxase enzymes yield gain-of-function phenotypes, being significantly more efficient than their precursor wild-type enzymes at supporting bacterial conjugation. We also found that relaxase enzymes with shuffled functional domains are produced in biologically relevant settings under natural expression levels. Finally, we uncovered examples of lactococcal chimeric relaxase genes with junctions exactly at the intron insertion site. Overall, our work demonstrates that the genetic diversity generated by group II introns, at the RNA level by intergenic trans-splicing and at the DNA level by recombination, can yield new functional enzymes with shuffled exons, which can lead to gain-of-function phenotypes.
That was just in the first 3 or 4 returns I got with a 30-second Google search.
...you don't see to understand the distinction between a functional line of code and the alphabet that code uses.[/quote]
Why do you insist on using such silly analogies? 'Code' and 'alphabet'? We are grown ups here, just use the grown up words.

No, the genetic code is what I explained to you before. It has nucleotides, not letters. Unlike letters in the alphabet, different combinations of those nucleotides can 'write' the same 'words' - look, you've got me using your 8th grade jargon!
Bare assertions replied to with one:
No, it really doesn't.

Argument via assertion, Logical fallacy.

You are making the argument of a child that took no more than 9th grade biology.
That is my assertion. My evidence is the things you keep writing as 'arguments.'
You are using the language analogy way too literally. Look at this gene that makes a functional protein - all those red bars? Repeated identical or nearly-identical sequences:
62704_51e64f27a2855df9e782fb71f305720a.jpeg

How does your 'logical fallacy' shield and language analogy deal with that?

Argument via assertion. Logical fallacy.
Provide some evidence for that straight-up assertion.

LOL!
Wow, OK... How much new information do you pretend there is in that gene map I pasted above?
Let's see your work, superstar.

Please explain how a mutation becomes dominant, with your amazing genetics knowledge. It is true that I have not taught Genetics for 2 years, but I have taught it about 8 times, so I think I can remember the gist of it all. Use your REAL science words, not this 'new code' nonsense.

Logical fallacy. Strawman argument.
Strawman.
For someone that sees a logical fallacy around every corner, you absolutely rely on some of the most obvious ones to prop up your fantasies.

With your amazing genetics insights, surely you know what a promoter is, yes?
And surely you've heard of one of the more common ones, the TATA box, right? OK, now pay attention to the words:

A TATA box is a DNA sequence that indicates where a genetic sequence can be read and decoded. It is a type of promoter sequence, which specifies to other molecules where transcription begins. Transcription is a process that produces an RNA molecule from a DNA sequence. The TATA box is named for its conserved DNA sequence, which is most commonly TATAAA​

Not coding sequence, but still pretty important DNA sequences, yes?
And the TATAAA promoter is a consensus sequence. It is not universal. Doesn't bode well for your unsupported assertion, does it?

While it is true that SNPs in exons CAN alter, negatively, the function of a protein, you seem to think it is a universal.
So, let's see your evidence that it is. No more bare assertions.

Talk about straining the credulity of logic...

Let's see your EVIDENCE for these bare assertions.

Of course you did - you seem to rely on analogy instead of evidence.

Here's one - "Trying to explain DNA by an ancient deity willing it to exist from dust of the ground is like saying even one letter out of alignment in the coding portion would cause even such a basic and simple program to fail to function.'"

Assertion. Fallacy.
Merely asserting that this is the case doesn't prove it's true just because you assert it is.

Major strawman.
And some projection, I'm guessing.[/QUOTE]

tas8831

It would be cool is creationists could follow through on just ONE thread before scampering off to make similarly nonsensical assertions in other ones.