• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution has been observed... right?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
The obesity crisis, I think this can be argued of evidence of selective breeding. Whoever is in charge makes unhealthy food readily available to the greatest amount of people. And now an increased obesity rate has been observed. Selective breeding? Because obesity would serve to weaken the brain.

The government didn't put a McDonalds or Burger King in every town accross the US.
The government isn't forcing any citizen to go eat there.

The obesitas crisis is 100% the fault of parents who fail to provide their children with healthy home prepared meals with lots of vegetables that aren't drowning in mayo or some such and have them wash down that junk food with coca cola instead of water.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Tiktaalik was an

Tiktaalik was an inference.

To be accurate, Predictions are about future events...this was inference.

Tiktaalik is not observed in every strata between fish and amphibians.
We didn't know where it was. A prediction was made. Then it was found. Past to future in that series.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
That is my take on that tactic. It is like beating a dead horse after a while.
You know, I can justify (to myself) debating the same subjects over and over. They're the subjects I'm interested in, so it makes sense. What I have a hard time justifying is debating the same subjects, with the same people over and over and over.

That's when I tell myself....."Dude, find something better to do!" ;)

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
You know, I can justify (to myself) debating the same subjects over and over. They're the subjects I'm interested in, so it makes sense. What I have a hard time justifying is debating the same subjects, with the same people over and over and over.

That's when I tell myself....."Dude, find something better to do!" ;)
I am mixed. Sometimes, it is just fun beating a dead horse. Or watching it struggle as it stumbles over its own willful ignorance.

tas8831

I didn't get it from a site. Do you have anything to say about the actual disagreement among the scientists or are you just nitpicking?
I am still waiting for you to support that claim. You see, as I wrote before, I HAVE the book. And on the page you referred to, there is no discussion that supports your implication. THAT is why I asked.
So, you didn't get it from a site. That means that you read it? Or that you got it from a creationist book, not a site?

Its a funny (and fun) thing - on numerous occasions on this site, creationists have presented quotes from books. Quite often, I google the quotes and discover that they are on YEC sites with collections of 'quotes' that supposedly show all kinds of problems for evolution. I especially liked like it when the YEC claims that they absolutely read the book that the quote is from, even after I show the YEC site version of the quote - complete with the EXACT SAME ellipses, and EXACT SAME emphases at the YEC site not in the book from which the quote was taken., Even then, the YEC lies about it, still claiming to have read the book (right hockey?).

But sure, you read the book.... and thought so much of the content that page and the implications of revolution that you, darn, can[t remember who said what, much less what the quote actually was, and can't even recall the actual name of the book, etc... OK, bro...

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I am still waiting for you to support that claim. You see, as I wrote before, I HAVE the book. And on the page you referred to, there is no discussion that supports your implication. THAT is why I asked.
So, you didn't get it from a site. That means that you read it? Or that you got it from a creationist book, not a site?

Its a funny (and fun) thing - on numerous occasions on this site, creationists have presented quotes from books. Quite often, I google the quotes and discover that they are on YEC sites with collections of 'quotes' that supposedly show all kinds of problems for evolution. I especially liked like it when the YEC claims that they absolutely read the book that the quote is from, even after I show the YEC site version of the quote - complete with the EXACT SAME ellipses, and EXACT SAME emphases at the YEC site not in the book from which the quote was taken., Even then, the YEC lies about it, still claiming to have read the book (right hockey?).

But sure, you read the book.... and thought so much of the content that page and the implications of revolution that you, darn, can[t remember who said what, much less what the quote actually was, and can't even recall the actual name of the book, etc... OK, bro...
Page 107, " Missing Links"
"Mary Leakey was confident there were two species to be named. The Leartoli specimens were all Homo in her view, and even her critics seemed to agree that the large and small specimens from Afar must two representative distinct species."

tas8831

So weird that @Rise stopped replying in this thread on July 21 when his many bluffs were called...
To suggest that shows you don't understand the new genetic code introductions that are needed to go from a single cell into mankind.
That you keep writing (argument by repetition) this nonsense about "new genetic code" proves that you do not understand genetics.
As I have explained to you before:

f5de6355003ee322782b26404ef0733a1d1a61b0.png

THAT is the 'genetic code.' There is nothing new to be made from it.

That you still use this middle-schoolish 'needs new genetic code blah blah blah' explains why you rely so much on bare assertion and hiding behind your logical fallacy boogeymen - you don't understand the science.
New code [sic] which adaptation alone as a mechanism can't account for...
Argument by assertion fallacy. Merely asserting that this is the case doesn't prove it's true just because you assert it is.
You are required to provide specific evidence of this to prove your claim is true.
You still think adaptation is just epigenetics?
That's why you can get different colors of fur on a cat but you can't get scales instead of fur just by natural selection alone.
Argument by assertion and strawman fallacy. Merely asserting that this is the case doesn't prove it's true just because you assert it is.
You are required to provide specific evidence of this to prove your claim is true.
The genetic code already has the information needed to express different colors of fur.
False claim, the Genetic Code is not genes.
It doesn't have the genetic code to express scales instead of fur.
" genetic code"...

19789999.jpg

Logical fallacy, argument by assertion.
Oh, sweet irony...
I gave you the example of the folding of a new protein and the genetic code required for that to happen.
"Genetic code". Middle-school science.
You can't get a new function in a cell unless you can get genetic code that will fold a new type of protein.
Ignoring your repetitious naiveté for now, I do suggest you read a post in a thread I made that regards, in part, your claims such as this 'new code' silliness, and what you claim is not in evidence.
...this needs to a protein that will change something so significantly in the organism that it confers a survival/reproductive advantage ...
How significantly? How do you measure that? Please explain.
I can shuffle the lines of a code in a computer program around but that's not going to create a new function.
Argument by assertion and a poor analogy.
All I need is one example to prove your mere assertion incorrect. As you do not seem very competent in the area of actual (as opposed to the simplistic 'genetics via analogy' that people like you tend to employ) genetics, I have bolded the relevant parts:

Group II Introns Generate Functional Chimeric Relaxase Enzymes with Modified Specificities through Exon Shuffling at Both the RNA and DNA Level
Abstract
...In contrast to their eukaryotic derivatives, bacterial group II introns have largely been considered as harmful selfish mobile retroelements that parasitize the genome of their host. As a challenge to this view, we recently uncovered a new intergenic trans-splicing pathway that generates an assortment of mRNA chimeras. The ability of group II introns to combine disparate mRNA fragments was proposed to increase the genetic diversity of the bacterial host by shuffling coding sequences. ...We demonstrated that some of these compound relaxase enzymes yield gain-of-function phenotypes, being significantly more efficient than their precursor wild-type enzymes at supporting bacterial conjugation. We also found that relaxase enzymes with shuffled functional domains are produced in biologically relevant settings under natural expression levels. Finally, we uncovered examples of lactococcal chimeric relaxase genes with junctions exactly at the intron insertion site. Overall, our work demonstrates that the genetic diversity generated by group II introns, at the RNA level by intergenic trans-splicing and at the DNA level by recombination, can yield new functional enzymes with shuffled exons, which can lead to gain-of-function phenotypes.
That was just in the first 3 or 4 returns I got with a 30-second Google search.[/QUOTE]
...you don't see to understand the distinction between a functional line of code and the alphabet that code uses.[/quote]
Why do you insist on using such silly analogies? 'Code' and 'alphabet'? We are grown ups here, just use the grown up words.
The genetic code has only four letters in it's alphabet.
No, the genetic code is what I explained to you before. It has nucleotides, not letters. Unlike letters in the alphabet, different combinations of those nucleotides can 'write' the same 'words' - look, you've got me using your 8th grade jargon!
But a genetic function requires those four letters to be in a precise coded sequence.
Bare assertions replied to with one:
No, it really doesn't.
If that is not done then there will be no function. Such as the function of folding a protein into a specific shape so that it can achieve a specific purpose.
Argument via assertion, Logical fallacy.
You don't get a new protein by simply changing one letter in the long string of code. The most that would do is just give you a failed protein.
You are making the argument of a child that took no more than 9th grade biology.
That is my assertion. My evidence is the things you keep writing as 'arguments.'
You are using the language analogy way too literally. Look at this gene that makes a functional protein - all those red bars? Repeated identical or nearly-identical sequences:
62704_51e64f27a2855df9e782fb71f305720a.jpeg

How does your 'logical fallacy' shield and language analogy deal with that?
The amount of letters you would have to change in that string of code to get a functional new protein is so numerous that it's basically writing a new line of code.
Argument via assertion. Logical fallacy.
Provide some evidence for that straight-up assertion.
The biggest problem for that idea is then that fact that all these changes would have to happen at once...
LOL!
Wow, OK... How much new information do you pretend there is in that gene map I pasted above?
Let's see your work, superstar.
If all you do is change one letter by chance, with no change in function, then natural selection has nothing to select. So that random mutation can't become the dominant one.
Please explain how a mutation becomes dominant, with your amazing genetics knowledge. It is true that I have not taught Genetics for 2 years, but I have taught it about 8 times, so I think I can remember the gist of it all. Use your REAL science words, not this 'new code' nonsense.
So there's no mechanism by which you could have one random letter this generation, one random letter the next, and so on, until you just by chance happen to arrange them into a functional code that folds a new protein that changes the survival rate of the organism.
Logical fallacy. Strawman argument.
And the odds are writing a new piece of code where everything is changed all at once, and ends up in the right sequence, and confers a survival improvement so it can actually become dominant, is a statistical impossibility.
Strawman.
For someone that sees a logical fallacy around every corner, you absolutely rely on some of the most obvious ones to prop up your fantasies.
It would be like suggesting you can let your cat play on your keyboard with a programming software open and, if given enough time, your cat will eventually create the "hello world' program.
You need all characters of the alphabet in place in the right sequence in order to get the program to run. Even one letter out of alignment in the coding portion would cause even such a basic and simple program to fail to function.

With your amazing genetics insights, surely you know what a promoter is, yes?
And surely you've heard of one of the more common ones, the TATA box, right? OK, now pay attention to the words:

A TATA box is a DNA sequence that indicates where a genetic sequence can be read and decoded. It is a type of promoter sequence, which specifies to other molecules where transcription begins. Transcription is a process that produces an RNA molecule from a DNA sequence. The TATA box is named for its conserved DNA sequence, which is most commonly TATAAA​

Not coding sequence, but still pretty important DNA sequences, yes?
And the TATAAA promoter is a consensus sequence. It is not universal. Doesn't bode well for your unsupported assertion, does it?

While it is true that SNPs in exons CAN alter, negatively, the function of a protein, you seem to think it is a universal.
So, let's see your evidence that it is. No more bare assertions.
Even worse if you're talking about something that requires more things than just a single protein to happen simultaneously in order for a new function to be created that confers a survival advantage onto an organism so that new function can become dominant - now you need even more lines of functional code to emerge simultaneously that just happen to be able to pair their function with the other new lines of code that emerged. You're compounding what is already a statistical impossibility with increasingly absurd levels of probability that strain the credulity of logic.
Talk about straining the credulity of logic...

Let's see your EVIDENCE for these bare assertions.
I thought this was a fitting analogy I heard: "Trying to explain DNA by random chance is like saying a tornado can go through a print shop and produce the contents of the library of congress."
Of course you did - you seem to rely on analogy instead of evidence.

Here's one - "Trying to explain DNA by an ancient deity willing it to exist from dust of the ground is like saying even one letter out of alignment in the coding portion would cause even such a basic and simple program to fail to function.'"
No matter how man tornados you send through how many different print shops, you have no reason to believe you could ever produce the library of congress. The number of co-dependant variables for this equation are beyond statistical and logical reason.
Assertion. Fallacy.
Merely asserting that this is the case doesn't prove it's true just because you assert it is.
The evidence would never cause you to conclude you could get the code for a protein by random chance unless you had an a priori commitment to materialism that forced you to accept it must have happened simply because you can't accept a designer as a hypothesis - for no other reason than because it conflicts with your a priori belief in materialism.
Major strawman.
And some projection, I'm guessing.

tas8831

Page 107, " Missing Links"
"Mary Leakey was confident there were two species to be named. The Leartoli specimens were all Homo in her view, and even her critics seemed to agree that the large and small specimens from Afar must two representative distinct species."

Just what I thought. This was not about Lucy, specifically, this was about 2 sets of specimens.
See? That wasn't so hard, was it?

You know that the Lucy fossils were found in Hadar, not Laetoli, yes? You see, they disagreed on whether or not the specimens from the two areas should be classified as the same species or not. Which is why I was curious when you wrote:

"You know his coworker Mary was convinced it was two separate species right?
See "missing links", Oxford University press, page 383, 2011"

and

"It's a pretty major issue when some scientists don't find the evidence for Lucy to be conclusive for example. Some agreed that it's actually a mix of different species bones. Some agreed that it's actually a mix of different species bones."

Seemed to be a bit embellished. And inaccurate (p.383, or 107?). And it was.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Just what I thought. This was not about Lucy, specifically, this was about 2 sets of specimens.
See? That wasn't so hard, was it?

You know that the Lucy fossils were found in Hadar, not Laetoli, yes? You see, they disagreed on whether or not the specimens from the two areas should be classified as the same species or not. Which is why I was curious when you wrote:

"You know his coworker Mary was convinced it was two separate species right?
See "missing links", Oxford University press, page 383, 2011"

and

"It's a pretty major issue when some scientists don't find the evidence for Lucy to be conclusive for example. Some agreed that it's actually a mix of different species bones. Some agreed that it's actually a mix of different species bones."

Seemed to be a bit embellished. And inaccurate (p.383, or 107?). And it was.
No, it's not embellished, both are true. And if the species were Homo, they weren't apes.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Tiktaalik was an inference.
To be accurate, Predictions are about future events...this was inference.

Tiktaalik was an unknown species.
Paleontologists predicted the existence of a "fishapod" (a sea dwelling to land dwelling transitional which thus has both fish as well as tetrapod features). Since land dwellers evolved from sea dwellers through a gradual process, such transitionals should exist.
They predicted its age (inferred from when they think this transition from sea to land occured).
They predicted its habitat (swampy or shallow waters, as this would be a semi-aquatic creature on an evolutionary path from sea to land).

They then looked on a geological map to find exposed rock from that age, which at the time would have been swampy or shallow waters. They found such rocks in canada.

They assembled a team and went digging. And they found it.

Before they found it, nobody ever saw this species. It was completely unknown.
It's existence, age, location and anatomical features... were ALL predicted.

It was literally found by prediction.

Tiktaalik, furthermore, is not the only fossil that has been found by such prediction. It's rather just the most famous one.

They also found land dwelling whale ancestors in pakistan in pretty much the same way, for example.

Having said all that.... in science a "prediction" is not like fortune telling or prophecy. A prediction is more like an expectation that naturally flows from some model (hypothesis / theory). Wheter the things that are predicted are already known or not, is not important. Although off course it's extra impressive if predictions lead to brand new discoveries, like in the case of Tiktaalik.

But that is not at all necessary or required.

Tiktaalik is not observed in every strata between fish and amphibians.

And kangaroo's are only found in Australia. What of it?

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Isn't it something to see people dismiss evidence that they do not understand or try to make people think that they DO understand things by hiding behind walls of text and accusations? The poor things...
Rather boring too. The same three or four people repeating the same nonsense over and over and over and over, and never learning a single thing in the process.

This place needs either new creationists, or for the existing ones to get new talking points.

tas8831

Rather boring too. The same three or four people repeating the same nonsense over and over and over and over, and never learning a single thing in the process.

This place needs either new creationists, or for the existing ones to get new talking points.
And it would be nice if the one's trying to argue science actually understood freshman level biology and chemistry. So many seem to think that if they've read a creationist website with science words on it, they are 'expert' enough to make arguments about it.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
And it would be nice if the one's trying to argue science actually understood freshman level biology and chemistry. So many seem to think that if they've read a creationist website with science words on it, they are 'expert' enough to make arguments about it.
How often have you encountered a creationist who did understand the subject? I can only think of a couple of times, and none of my debates with them lasted very long. I also was part of the group that (briefly) tried to debate Bill Dembski at the ISCID forum (I think that's what it was called), before he threw a fit and left.

Other than that, it's been what you described.....trying to debate science with people who don't know the first thing about it, and who don't want to know the first thing about it.