• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution has a plan

Spiderman

Veteran Member
13411264_f520.jpg

Evolution gave this bird the ability to fly, after millions of years of only having a stub for wings that could not fly, as well as hollow bones to fly better, as well as made this bird colorful and beautiful to better attract a mate...it seems there is an intelligent plan and destiny behind evolution, no?

Humans are the only animal that invents new technology year-after-year, cell phones, planes, space ships that go to the Moon, internet... And when an animal breaks their bones, the other animals don't fix the bones.

Why did Evolution give humans such abilities like learning how to perform open heart surgery? Why don't other animals have surgeons?

Evolution has a Destiny for the human race

Last edited by a moderator:

idav

Being
Premium Member
I hear you. It is very difficult to see evolution happening by chance to the levels we see today. One major thing to consider is how much fail evolution has had. Let’s look at the numbers, there are an estimated 10 to 14 million current species of life and that 86% of that number is undocumented. Now consider the percentage of life which has gone extinct which is a staggering 99% extinction rate. With those numbers every species on the planet has literally won the lottery of something like 1 in 150 million odds(if I’m doing that right) and even more so when considering the odds of life coming about to begin with the number of “dead” planets out there. Trial and error works, that’s how evolution got to this point on our timeline.

Jumi

Evolution gave this bird the ability to fly, after millions of years of only having a stub for wings that could not fly, as well as hollow bones to fly better, as well as made this bird colorful and beautiful to better attract a mate...it seems there is an intelligent plan and destiny behind evolution, no?
Nope. The birds who got these traits survived and spread their genes. The other survivors survived because of different traits. That's why there are so many different kinds of birds, some with flight, some without it. The bones don't affect flight, they're near our bone density.

Humans are the only animal that invents new technology year-after-year, cell phones, planes, space ships that go to the Moon, internet... And when an animal breaks their bones, the other animals don't fix the bones.

Why did Evolution give humans such abilities like open heart surgery
It's a function of our brains, being able to solve problems that we apply ourselves to, and the knowledge people have gathered throughout the years. Our past shows us that inventions become lost permanently or for periods of time and sometimes things are reinvented. It's just applying our smarts to how nature works.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
13411264_f520.jpg

Other animals don't don't brush their teeth

No. Evolution did not "give" humans such abilities. Those ancestors who could use their much larger brains and extended lifetimes to come up with new technologies survived.

No, evolution does not have a "Destiny" for humans. Humans will either survive, or die off. Regardless of whether or not we use our modern technologies--that is, our brains, our hands, our social networks and abilities, and the tools we create--to do so, or to go back to our primitive technologies.

David T

Premium Member
13411264_f520.jpg

No evidence of intelligence existing except for termite mounds birds nests and puffer fish circles etc. But hell if people want to believe that determines reality be my guest very normal and dysfunctional at the same time. I am left handed. Careful pope you are trying to be normal and that will turn you into a carl nietztche. Is that what you want? I mean Carl and Friedrich both should be danger signs, not people to emulate as normal people insist we emulate. False.
Carl_Ludwig_Nietzsche.jpg

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
13411264_f520.jpg

What is evolution?

Nous

Premium Member
13411264_f520.jpg

Evolution gave this bird the ability to fly, after millions of years of only having a stub for wings that could not fly
This is true? What species of bird is this? (I can't identify many sorts of birds. I know ostriches, cardinals and a few others.)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
This is true? What species of bird is this? (I can't identify many sorts of birds. I know ostriches, cardinals and a few others.)
Green headed tanager... My point, is that before it could fly it would have had a stub instead of a wing for millions of years... evolution had a plan for the stub

Rational Agnostic

13411264_f520.jpg

Why did Evolution give humans such abilities like learning how to perform open heart surgery? Why don't other animals have surgeons?

I disagree that evolution has a "destiny" for humans although I agree it is pretty amazing how much more intelligence we evolved than other animals.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Wishful balderdash. Your argument from amazement is a fallacious one. And your personification of a natural phenomenon is pitiably primitive.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Wishful balderdash. Your argument from amazement is a fallacious one. And your personification of a natural phenomenon is pitiably primitive.

I know I'm not very intelligent.
I'm just saying, evolution seems to have had a plan for the stub of that animal that eventually became a wing after being a stub for millions of years... It seems to me that that animal had the destiny to eventually be able to fly. Evolution does do some pretty intelligent and amazing things don't you agree?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Nope. The birds who got these traits survived and spread their genes. The other survivors survived because of different traits. That's why there are so many different kinds of birds, some with flight, some without it. The bones don't affect flight, they're near our bone density.

So far you have shown a weak understanding of the science of evolution. Actually flightless birds mostly if not all evolved from flight birds.

It's a function of our brains, being able to solve problems that we apply ourselves to, and the knowledge people have gathered throughout the years. Our past shows us that inventions become lost permanently or for periods of time and sometimes things are reinvented. It's just applying our smarts to how nature works.

How does this relate to the question?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
13411264_f520.jpg

This comes close to a corrupt mix of Intelligent Design and Lamarckian view of evolution mixed with a very poor knowledge of the science of evolution.

There is absolutely no objective verifiable evidence for Intelligent Design.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sorry, @PopeADope , but no.

While it may sometimes appear otherwise, the available evidence very much indicates that evolution has no intent, let alone a plan.

It is directed by environment and circunstances, which is a very different thing.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Sorry, @PopeADope , but no.

While it may sometimes appear otherwise, the available evidence very much indicates that evolution has no intent, let alone a plan.

It is directed by environment and circunstances, which is a very different thing.
:(

I was just having some fun with ignorance....but with the evolution of birds it still seems like those stubs had some sort of destiny to become wings

Skwim

Veteran Member
I know I'm not very intelligent.
I'm just saying, evolution seems to have had a plan for the stub of that animal that eventually became a wing after being a stub for millions of years... It seems to me that that animal had the destiny to eventually be able to fly. Evolution does do some pretty intelligent and amazing things don't you agree?
Evolution is a process of change, be it a change in reptiles or a change in rock. Nothing more. So to ascribe a personal purpose to it; a plan or intelligence one needs to assume it's a conscience entity in of itself. Thing is, there is absolutely nothing suggesting such a purposeful ability. Evolution is entirely without it. It happens because selective pressures impose themselves on organisms: water may become less oxygenated, a food source may disappear, or another organism may become a threat. And when these things happen, those members of species that, through random genetic changes, have formed more adaptive characteristics will survive in their changed form, whereas those that did not change will die out.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

I was just having some fun with ignorance....but with the evolution of birds it still seems like those stubs had some sort of destiny to become wings
No because the wings of birds did not evolve from stubs. The pre-flight relatives of birds had feathered bodies and long slender limbs that were not stubs. The first became gliders. The bones of the smaller reptiles related to birds were porous and light for speed for hunting and escaping predators. Gliding than flight was a further advantage.

The following is an early example of a reptile capable of limited flight.

From: Aerodynamic performance of the feathered dinosaur <i>Microraptor</i> and the evolution of feathered flight
Aerodynamic performance of the feathered dinosaur Microraptorand the evolution of feathered flight
  • Nature Communications 4, Article number: 2489 (2013)
  • doi:10.1038/ncomms3489
  • Download Citation

Figure 5: Microraptor fossil specimens used as the basis for model making.

Primary sources: (a) holotype specimen (Institute of Vertebrate Palaeontology and Palaeoanthropology, Institute of Vertebrate Palaeontology and Palaeoanthropology V13352) of Microraptor gui, and (b) fossil specimen (Beijing Museum of Natural History, BMNHC PH881) referred to Microraptor by Li et al.18. Reference also made to (c), incorrect (see Methods) reconstruction of feathering.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

That is an interesting idea to run with for a while.

Assuming for a moment that the stubs were in some sense meant to be proto-wings, their actually becoming more wing-like across generations would be possible only if their environment enabled such a direction of development.

Had their environment become incompatible with functional wings for any reason (and there are many; it is no coincidence that chickens and many other birds are such poor fliers), the wings would not develop in a direction resembling the current situation. Instead, they might adapt in any of several other ways.

So it is not that the stubs were meant to become wings. It is the other way around; the consistent presence of environments that made winged flight an effective advantage selected those specimens that approached it. Alternate adaptations that were not well suited to those environments were weeded out along the way.

Were it the case that the birds' ancestors were in a more competitive place by developing, say, nactitating membranes or clawed feet capable of keeping them upside-down all night, we would probably have a very different situation these days.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Green headed tanager... My point, is that before it could fly it would have had a stub instead of a wing for millions of years... evolution had a plan for the stub
Not exactly. Animals developed phalanges which developed as fingers for some species, wings for others, webbed feet for others, fins for others.

“Bird wings are a modified forelimb, similar to the human arm: Scapula, humerus, radius and ulna, carpus and metacarpus, and the phalanges fused together forming the “hand”. ”
Bird Anatomy |