• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution and the Big Bang

Do you agree with both statements

• yes

• no

• don't know

• don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.

We Never Know

No Slack
Lets see if we can clear some confusion. Answer the poll based on the two following statements.

"Evolution is what happened after life formed no matter if it was formed by abiogenesis, a god, an alien, etc.. Evolution happened after life formed.

The BB is what happened after the universe began no matter if the beginning was by a god, an alien, a fairy, etc.. The BB happened after the beginning.

We Never Know

No Slack
The Big Bang WAS the beginning of the expansion. The "after" is the expansion of energy.

To be clear, do you disagree with this...

"The BB is what happened after the universe began no matter if the beginning was by a god, an alien, a fairy, etc.. The BB happened after the beginning."

Keep in mind... It had to begin before it could expand.

F1fan

Veteran Member

"The BB is what happened after the universe began no matter if the beginning was by a god, an alien, a fairy, etc.. The BB happened after the beginning."

The Big Bang was the event. The singularity was the material.

We Never Know

No Slack
The Big Bang was the event. The singularity was the material.

I ask again.....

What did the singularity exist in? Couldn't be space if it was non-existent.

What started the expansion. Couldn't be heat if time didn't exist.

If everything was held to a tiny point by gravity, did gravity suddenly stop/fail that allowed expansion? Heck..could gravity even exist without time?

Also keep in mind... If absolutely nothing ever existed, there would still be absolutely nothing existing

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
The BB happened at the beginning of the universe. It was the beginning of the universe.

"It was the beginning of the universe"

Wrong! It had to begin before it could expand..

Read around here.. Prior posts as well.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
The universe is what we call everything after the Big Bang.

We can't know if energy had a beginning. It's most likely to have always existed.

Let's just defer to what experts say.
Hello!!!!

Refer back to the OP...

The BB is what happened after the universe began no matter if the beginning was by a god, an alien, a fairy, etc.. The BB happened after the beginning."

Heyo

Veteran Member
Hello!!!!

Refer back to the OP...

The BB is what happened after the universe began no matter if the beginning was by a god, an alien, a fairy, etc.. The BB happened after the beginning."
@F1fan

Is it really that important what happened or did not happen in the first 1/10⁻⁴³ seconds?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
@F1fan

Is it really that important what happened or did not happen in the first 1/10⁻⁴³ seconds?

Yes, the more knowledge there is of the first fraction of a second after the bb the closer to understanding how it happened we are.

ChristineM

Premium Member
"Evolution is what happened after life formed no matter if it was formed by abiogenesis, a god, an alien, etc.. Evolution happened after life formed.

The evolution you are talking about, the evolution of life, yes but evolution goes on all the time throughout the universe, if it didn't evolve then it would just be a cloud of expanding gas

The BB is what happened after the universe began no matter if the beginning was by a god, an alien, a fairy, etc.. The BB happened after the beginning.

I understand the bb to be the beginning of the universe.

ChristineM

Premium Member

Did it?

What did the singularity exist in? Couldn't be space if it was non-existent.

When you know tell me, it would be worth a fortune to know that, we can share it.

What started the expansion. Couldn't be heat if time didn't exist.

It is possible that time began the moment the universe began or it is possible that time is infinite into the past, or it is possible that time began in another universe, or, or,or...

If everything was held to a tiny point by gravity, did gravity suddenly stop/fail that allowed expansion? Heck..could gravity even exist without time?

Infinity tiny , did gravity even exist? Who knows

Also keep in mind... If absolutely nothing ever existed, there would still be absolutely nothing existing

Hmmm, im glad you are so certain.

PureX

Veteran Member
Lets see if we can clear some confusion. Answer the poll based on the two following statements.

The first statement is a semantic proposition based on the definitions of the terms. Life didn't "form", it emerged as an effect of extant physical circumstances.

The BB is the moment of the universe coming into existence. Whatever existed before, or exists beyond it is unknowable by us, as we exist within and as part of this universe.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Regarding evolution, I would challenge the attempt to describe the formation of life as if it were a discrete event rather than a process. Furthermore one has to be a bit careful what one means by evolution. Classical Darwinian evolution requires an organism that replicates and passes on instructions for further replication to the products of replication. So I would agree that classical Darwinian evolution requires life to be already present. But I am not willing to agree that life appeared in an event, nor that Darwinian evolution is the only mechanism that may have operated to enable replicating biochemical systems to sustain themselves and develop in complexity.

Regarding the Big Bang, you and I have discussed this elsewhere but, for the benefit of other readers, The Big Bang is the current model for the evolution of the cosmos and it suggests that there was a start point, at a singularity. Some people use the term Big Bang to include this presumed singularity, but as the observational evidence can't allow that to be predicted with confidence, doing so is a bit speculative.

As a general observation, you seem to think you can browbeat science, by force of rhetoric, into simple categories of firm knowledge vs. total ignorance. This, I think, is naive.

I have not responded to your poll.

Kfox

How do you know the singularity that existed before expanding to become the Universe, had an actual beginning?