• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution and life in the future

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Given our sun is set to red giant, that earth will become uninhabitable, and unable to support life, how is evolution a valid theory if it's thought that life will no longer continue?
That's the course of nature.

It's a little bit hard for humans to adapt to 1.8 million degrees F or approximately 1 to 2 million degrees Celsius. That is of course, they first survive the radiation of an expanded sun.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Given our sun is set to red giant, that earth will become uninhabitable, and unable to support life, how is evolution a valid theory if it's thought that life will no longer continue?
It is always wrong to suppose that evolution is seeking some end, or heading towards something. It is not. The fact that the dinosaurs could not survive the effects of the comet that struck Yucatan 65 million years ago has nothing to do with the fact that the dinosaurs evolved at all. The fact that many (and to your OP, all) earth species go extinct has nothing whatever to do with evolution.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Evolution is a process that created everything, from stars to planets to people. It was happening before earth, it is happening beyond earth. Biological life evolved as a result of evolution doing its thing with biology. It is more than likely that biological forms of life is occurring elsewhere rather prolifically throughout the universe, and ours is but a single example of it on a grand scale.

Therefore, even if earth is swallowed by the sun, evolution continues doing its thing, from planets to plants, to animals, to "people". We need to stop thinking of earth as the only home for life in the universe. That's so, anthropocentric of us. Are we really the only apple of God's eye, as we like to think? :)

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Who said soup? Certainly not science who study this. More like clean water with the right mix of minerals, chemicals and sunlight that allowed single celled prokaryotes to form. From their the world is their oyster.

Are thinking abiogenesis? Evolution comes after abiogenesis. The single cell had to form before it could evolve.

There is a hypothesis that life is short lived in universal terms and can only exist during a specific stage of entropy. By this reconning all life on earth will be long gone by the time the sun goes red giant.

It is however just a hypothesis that cannot be fully tested... yet.

So lets assume it's wrong and life will still exists in another 5 billion years. Consider how life has evolved from a single cell to the diversity of life we see today in less than 4 billion years. What will evolution bring a few billion years into the future? And what will the ingenuity of such future life bring.

Most who understand the theory actually.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
That's the course of nature.

It's a little bit hard for humans to adapt to 1.8 million degrees F or approximately 1 to 2 million degrees Celsius. That is of course, they first survive the radiation of an expanded sun.
Exactly why evolution seems the only logical way.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
It is always wrong to suppose that evolution is seeking some end, or heading towards something. It is not. The fact that the dinosaurs could not survive the effects of the comet that struck Yucatan 65 million years ago has nothing to do with the fact that the dinosaurs evolved at all. The fact that many (and to your OP, all) earth species go extinct has nothing whatever to do with evolution.

We will cease to be as we are - we will evolve like everything else evolves. 5 billion years is a long time. 7.5 even longer. The theory is valid futuristicly speaking if it's valid at all. New creations - evolved state of being - born again kinda evolutionary stuff like the texts books suggest.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Most who understand the theory actually.

Then they are wrong.

The soup idea is an old creationist dig at what they don't understand. It immediately tells me of ignorance of conditions at the time of abiogenesis.

The accepted Oparin/Haldane theory requires clean transparent water to allow UV light to pass through

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Then they are wrong.

The soup idea is an old creationist dig at what they don't understand. It immediately tells me of ignorance of conditions at the time of abiogenesis.

The accepted Oparin/Haldane theory requires clean transparent water to allow UV light to pass through

A combination of gases, amino acids and heat. They referred to this as a soup. I wouldn't eat it either.

It was understood then as it is now - What would you call it again?

ChristineM

Premium Member
A combination of gases, amino acids and heat. They referred to this as a soup. I wouldn't eat it either.

It was understood then as it is now - What would you call it again?

It was understood to be soup by those who didnt know conditions. Take a look at the Oparin/Haldane theory and what you'll find isa very clear water, with trace amounts of chemicals reacting under ultra violet light.

Hardly a soup. The idea of soup was dropped in the 1920s.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
It was understood to be soup by those who didnt know conditions. Take a look at the Oparin/Haldane theory and what you'll find isa very clear water, with trace amounts of chemicals reacting under ultra violet light.

Hardly a soup. The idea of soup was dropped in the 1920s.
OK, so all that stuff was a combination of water, trace amounts of chemicals reacting under ultra violet light? Cool, I'll try to remember not to call that stuff a soup.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Evolution is a valid theory even if one day the sun burns out earth. Unless you are using the word evolution colloquially. If you are referring to the theory of evolution, be it darwinian or what ever idea of evolution you have, it is purely biological, again unless you are using it colloquially.

Tiberius

There's nothing in evolution that says that the life that is evolving must last forever.

Segev Moran

Evolution describes a process.
I am not sure what you mean by "thought". Evolution has no thoughts.
It simply is a process that occurs regardless of the outcome.
We know, for a fact it occurs. EVEN the bible suggests it.
A process similar to biological evolution is also happening in societies, cultures, languages, technology, and almost every aspect of our lives.
Everything evolves as we are a part of what we describe as "the arrow of time".
the fact in billion of years our sun will collapse has got nothing to do with the fact things evolve.
Our universe itself is evolving (our sun also, being a part of it).
Read a bit about Entropy. it will give you some idea about the process you (and all of us) are a part of.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Therefore," says the professor, tapping the calculations she's written on the blackboard, "the sun will consume the earth in fifty billion years' time."

A student leaps up and screams "What? What?"

The professor taps the blackboard and says "Fifty billion years!"

The student sits down again. "Oh thank god! I thought you said fifteen billion."​

Actually the sun is about 4.6 bn years old and is good for another 5 bn years or so.

So, bearing in mind that humans have only been around for about 200,000 years, and civilized for about 12,000 years. we have some time to figure out our options. Given 5 bn years we might be able to make new suns and planets.

Or even new universes, who knows?

Or of course we may wipe ourselves out instead.

We have plenty of time to do either.

As for the evolution part, if we're stuck on Earth, then we'll either evolve a bit or fail to evolve a bit ─ the larger the population, the larger the chance that any mutation, beneficial, neutral or detrimental, will simply be reabsorbed towards the norm.

If we want to travel to the stars then we'll need to work out how to travel faster than light, which at the moment looks Very Hard.

Or we might replace ourselves with intelligent humanoid machines capable of traveling interstellar distances ─ Homo sapiens mechanicus.

What will happen? Stay tuned!

ChristineM

Premium Member
OK, so all that stuff was a combination of water, trace amounts of chemicals reacting under ultra violet light? Cool, I'll try to remember not to call that stuff a soup.

Thanks.

More likely water clean enough to drink