• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution and God

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
dan said:
Evolution and the Bible are irreconcilable. You must believe one or the other.
No, evolution and your view of the Bible are irreconcilable. The Catholic church does not reject evolution. The Anglican church does not reject evolution. The Lutherans note, in part,
As in the days of the Scopes trial all evolution may still be denied on the grounds of a literalistic interpretation of the Bible, especially Genesis 1­11. Not content with the commitment of faith in the Creator expressed in the First Article of the Apostles' Creed this interpretation may demand a specific answer also to the questions of when creation occurred and how long it took. On the premise of a literal acceptance of the Scriptures as authoritative also in matters of science the whole of past existence is comprehended within the limited time span of biblical chronologies and genealogies. The vastness of astronomical time with its incredible number of light years may be accounted for as an instantaneous arrival of light and the eras of geological and biological time with their strata, fossils, and dinosaurs pointing to the existence of life and death on the earth ages before the arrival of man may be reduced to one literal week of creative activity.

On the other hand there are those who can no more close their eyes to the evidence which substantiates some kind of lengthy evolutionary process in the opinion of the vast majority of those scientists most competent to judge than they could deny the awesome reality of God's presence in nature and their own experience of complete dependence upon the creative and sustaining hand of God revealed in the Scriptures. In reference to creation, Langdon Gilkey (Maker of Heaven and Earth, 1959, pp. 30 f.) interprets the doctrine as affirming ultimate dependence upon God and distinguishes it from scientific hypotheses which properly deal with finite processes only. Among Lutheran theologians George Forell (The Protestant Faith, 1960, p. 109) sees the doctrine of creation not as expressing "a theory about the origin of the world" but as describing man's situation in the world, and Jaroslav Pelikan (Evolution After Darwin, Vol. III, p. 31) presents the creation accounts of Genesis as "not chiefly cosmogony" and furthermore sketches a development in the church which by the 19th century had emphasized those aspects of the doctrine of the creation to which Darwin represented a particular challenge and had neglected other important aspects which could be maintained independently of biological research.

- see THE LUTHERAN WORLD FEDERATION
***MOD EDIT***

Reason: belittling remarks.

Please keep the peace

KBC1963

Don't tadpoles change into frogs?
Just a thought.

It would appear so.

I like neat thoughts so give these a try:

If our ancestry is traceable to a time when there was only one parent then why would that parent have changed to make it so that it required 2 halves to make a whole, and how would it have been possible?
who came first the male or the female human? and how were they taught a concept that never before existed (mating) "I can hear the question now... mommy how are babies made?.. and the answer... ummm well I kinda just split in 2, you however will have to stuff part of your brother inside yerself ......."

why would a whale adapt to breath air since its whole life is spent in the water?

if everything began in the water why would it ever adapt to leave since there would have been nothing living on dry land? keep in mind that whatever kept the organism alive existed soley in the water so for it to leave the water its food source would have to miraculously begin to exist on dry land?

Pah

Uber all member
KBC1963 said:
Don't tadpoles change into frogs?
Just a thought.

It would appear so.

I like neat thoughts so give these a try:

If our ancestry is traceable to a time when there was only one parent then why would that parent have changed to make it so that it required 2 halves to make a whole, and how would it have been possible?

Since a trace involves DNA, it should be noted that most DNA contians "donations" from both parents.

But the first "ancestor" could have reproduced without sex. Some animals are both sexual and asexual. They reproduce in what you would consider "normal" and in what may be considered "cloning" Change is made for a few reasons - one being the tempurature or season and the other the avaialablity of an opposite sex. The advantage of asexual reproduction is the greater number of offspring in a short period of time.

who came first the male or the female human? and how were they taught a concept that never before existed (mating) "I can hear the question now... mommy how are babies made?.. and the answer... ummm well I kinda just split in 2, you however will have to stuff part of your brother inside yerself ......."

Who said the first reproduction was sexual? It could well have been asexual with no gender involved at all.

why would a whale adapt to breath air since its whole life is spent in the water?

Are you sure that the transititon was within water and not a more dramatic transistion from land to water?

if everything began in the water why would it ever adapt to leave since there would have been nothing living on dry land? keep in mind that whatever kept the organism alive existed soley in the water so for it to leave the water its food source would have to miraculously begin to exist on dry land?

Who said everything required for life was only available in the waters?

We have examples of that today. There is a fish in Florida that walks (yes, walks) on land.

KBC1963

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh Pah,

Your theorizing away my trivialities , hehehehe

ok I got one more that hangs around begging to be theorized away:

Science theorizes life began in ye old primordial soup, how would it have known to reproduce before it died?
if you say it was part of its ability when it became life, I would say how could that be possible? how could randomness have produced a set of instructions in the dna needed to form it and drive the processes that keeps it alive? and on top of that it would have needed the instruction set to be able to reproduce in a way other than the way it actually began.

Pah if your feelin particularly theoretical give a shot at answering the post I wrote to dolly, there is some mighty tuff problems for evolutionist / athiest in that post, it holds most of the reasons I believe in GOD as I do.

Pah

Uber all member
KBC1963 said:
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh Pah,

Your theorizing away my trivialities , hehehehe

ok I got one more that hangs around begging to be theorized away:

Science theorizes life began in ye old primordial soup, how would it have known to reproduce before it died?

That's only one of the places where life may have begun( I just read that is finding disfavor among scientits today). Sea vents, I understand have come into speculation as well. But you see, evolution does not make a statement about origins - that would be much too premature. - it is only at a "possibility stage" and not even approaching a theroy.

Evolution deals with the process of how existing life changes. As far as I'm concerned the "goop" is just a mythical as the creation story. But I understand how important it is for Christians - for if life can begin in the lab then there is no "original sin" and no need for Christ crucified. Your whole beleif system would be proven to be mere myth.

if you say it was part of its ability when it became life, I would say how could that be possible? how could randomness have produced a set of instructions in the dna needed to form it and drive the processes that keeps it alive? and on top of that it would have needed the instruction set to be able to reproduce in a way other than the way it actually began.

As I said, evolution is not addressing origins.

Pah if your feelin particularly theoretical give a shot at answering the post I wrote to dolly, there is some mighty tuff problems for evolutionist / athiest in that post, it holds most of the reasons I believe in GOD as I do.

I'm not sure you really answered the one from Dolly. She is yet to reply.

dan

That fact that the Catholics have now decided to accept evolution does not make it a fact. Those churches are just wrong, and there's no other way to put it. Tell me how Adam and Eve can be reconciled with evolution and maybe I'll listen. My understanding of the Bible is, by the way, comprehensive enough to know better than to believe the Catholics or the Lutherans or any other denomination that succumbs to religious peer pressure. The Catholic church was the most vehement detractor of evolution for hundreds of years, y'know. I realize they've changed just about every doctrine in existence since they were formed, but please don't use them as a reference point.

KBC1963 said:
This is all conjecture, you cant back an arguement with conjecture.
The "conjecture" is supported by the evidence. We have observed species evolve into other species. We have observed species change over time to better suit their environment.

To argue that because we cannot physically go back in time and watch evolution take place means that a single sentient being must have done it all by unnatural means--now that is conjecture...MAJOR conjecture.

There are many possibilities in either direction but it is still not proof of evolution
O. gigas is proof of evolution. This new species came into existence by means of genetic variation.

your logic on the subject would be correct and yet there is almost no real proof to back it up which seems strange since it is a very plausible train of thought, and tho I agree with your thought process dealing with probabilities the lack of proof in the world as it is, denies you a decent backup
I am glad that we can find some mutual ground here, and that you agree with my logic in principle. However, your assertion that "there is almost no real proof to back it up" is very perplexing. I encourage you to read this helpful FAQ which contains tons of fossil evidence http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-transitional.html

Here is some evidence:
The younger human fossils are, the more characteristics they have of ours. The older human fossils are, the less characteristics they have of modern humans. In fact, over millions of years the characteristics are so different that it would be impossible for modern humans to breed with our million year old ancestors successfully. (Check out these fossils http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/specimen.html )

We have achieved a stalemate dealing with this part of the evolution subject so I will refer you to my post to dolly and see what you think of my proofs as pertains to the inception of life itself since than is the logical step from where we are now.

My life as an athiest ended abruptly after I began to apply my mechanical engineering skills to consider the items that I show in that post and as yet I have been unable to bring a sane stable arguement that will overcome them, so in GOD I trust and in GOD I will continue just as he has written to us.
The whole point of this thread is that you can STILL trust in God AND agree with evolution...the two are not mutually exclusive unless you want them to be.

I encourage you to be as skeptical of Creationism as you are of evolution. Creationism explains nothing, only that "God did it" and therefore no further inquiry is necessary. Creationists seek to disrupt any attempt to find a natural explanation for life on Earth, because somehow to them no explanation = there is no possible explanation, ever = God did it. This is illogical on multiple levels. Creationism seeks to actively hinger progress on the notion that science is starting to answer questions once solely reserved for religious inquiry (the same thing happened in the Middle Ages with Galileo's astronomical discoveries).

I have some questions for you: if God did not create life through evolution, why did He create simpler organisms (like jawless fish) and then gradually create more complex organisms (like primitive bony fish and amphibians) and, while He was doing this, go back and kill off the simpler organisms? Why did He give whales finger bones, since they are useless to them (as whales have flippers)? Why, praytell, did God create some human-like primates, then destroy them, then create some even smarter and more human-like primates, then destroy them, and then finally create modern humans? How does any of that make any sense at all, unless evolution is the process by which God created?

I'll get around to responding to other stuff later...got to go for now! :goodjob:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
KBC1963 said:

ok, I know Pah already answered these but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

the oldest organisms we have found are simple single celled bacterium, most bacterium can reproduce either asexually or sexuallyl. Each has advantages and disadvantages... if your question is why have sex then the esiest way to answer is by saying look at children. They are not perfect copies of the adults they are unique and with each combination of genes from partents you get new possibilites. Each time parents combine thier DNA to make kids they roll the genetic dice, this ensures that the genetics do not become stagnate and that adaptation can occure. Without sex you are reduced to exact (or mostly exact) copies of the origional... if the origional is weak to a certen factor, like genetic disease than ALL members of the species are weak to that factor. Children have the chance of developing immunities to such factors thanks to random mutations, like the recent mutation on one of the HOX genes that gives the carriers increased immunity to heart disease.
sex is good... but only if you have 2 partners, many species can also reproduce asexually and this allows them to, when they cant find a partner, at least make shure that some members of the species keep going. In higher animals this is called parthinogenisis, and while recent exparaments have shown that mammals and birds are capable of reproducing this way, it naturally only occures in Reptiles, Amphibians, Fish and so on down the line.

As for whales, whales are mammals and evolved from land living animals not fish and so naturally breath air. What is realy remarkable about whales is thier transistion from land living animals like Andrewsarchus to amphibious animals like Packicetious to fully aquatic animals like Basilosaurus and the modern whales. See after the extinction of the large ocien going preditors like the Cararadon sharks and the Icthyosaurs, Pleisosaurs and other ocien going reptiles, the oceans were just full of food waiting to be eaten. So it was a nice open ecological niche to fill.
An intresting question would be, how long will it take before the 'true seals' like the Harbor seal and the Harp seal give up the land entirely and devote thier lives solely to the waters?

As for the question of why leave the water? Well, you have a great open environment to fill up why not take advantage of it?
Remember plants seaking better access to the life giving rays of the sun forund that going on land, (and rain and lakes have existed since water extisted) gave them the perfect way to beat the compitition in the water. Plants had access to the mineral content of the soil they grew in as well as the water held in it., at least early on, no predators.
Heres another fun thought... isn't it interesting that if you look at the fossil record the plants gew taller and better defended as the animals that fed on them got to be about the right size to eat them... ever wonder why trees are so tall? Many of the tallest tree species first show up at about the same time as the giant dinosaurs that fed on them.
And isn't fruit a wonderful trick by plants? If they make something that we are willing to eat, but make the seeds inside to tough for us to digest then when we eat the fruit we do the plants work and spread its children far and wide for it. (who's the smart one in that aragnement?)

Ps, as Pah, noted there are lots of interesting things in the animal world. Life exists in places we would have thought impossible just a few years ago. It exists without sunlight feeding off sulfuric acid at the botom of the ocien, it lives in the freezing rocks of the Antarctic, and in the super-hot waters of the Yellowstone glaciers. If there is an environment to fill than life will find a way to adapt and evolve to fit.
god spent a lot of time making individual bacteria to fill odd ecologies. And some equilly odd animals to feed on the bacteria in some cases.

wa:do

dolly

KBC1963 said:
Dolly your arguementative skill are very good indeed

Why thank you. :oops: So are yours.

the gist of my arguement is to say that we would need skeletons from many diverse regions all from the aproximate same time to gain conclusive proof of an average and from what I have seen the evidences are not enough yet.

But when humans were evolving, we didn't live in many diverse regions. We lived in one, or a few, but they were all similar. If we lived in different areas that early, we would have evolved into several different humanoid races. Look at all the diversity there is in the human race today, and that is all from relatively recent evolution.

if everything came from one parent whatever that may truley be then we should all have the capabiliyies of that original dna set

We would when we had that set, or one very similar to it. As each mutation was selected by nature, then the capabilities that we had were altered/removed/replaced. We do not have the same capabilities because our dna has changed so drastically.

My arguement on lifespan infers that genetics control lifespan and the time that everything falls apart for our dna must have a controller and I base this on the fact that if a plant can reproduce its cells without everything falling apart for at least a thousand years then our genetics/dna should have the same capability.

Our cells can not have that same capability. Why? Because plants and animal cells are vastly different. As for cell regeneration, to be honest I'm not sure if it's the DNA which controls it, or if it's a sideaffect of how long meiosis takes for that specific cell, but never the less the environment easily affects/nullifies/increases/etc whatever makes a cell regenerate.

How can you make these assumptions if you don't know how lifespan is controlled? you would have to know that the niche is the main control or that structural build was a major controller, it does make sense that they do have some input over time but how much is assumptive and you should not assume beyond that which is proveable.

It's not assumption so much as common sense. The niche of the cell designates what the environment is and the level of danger/obstacles/etc that the cell will have to overcome. Therefore, the niche drastically affects the cell regeneration, almost equal to, if not equal, to genetics. It is impossible to change the lifespan of a creature without changing not only its niche, the percentages of the different types of cells in its body, its dna, and basically everything about the animal which makes it that specific type of animal.

It is my understanding that at this point scientists have been able to manipulate our dna to cause many of our possible attributes to be selectable before birth

They manipulate the order of the DNA which splits during meiosis. They don't alter the DNA in any way. They just manipulate which genes go into which gamete (for mother and father), and then allow the two "perfect" gametes to join. That, or they just look for a specific gene in the sperm/egg (gender, or hair color for example), and only use those gametes to impregnate a woman.

and I understand that there is a gene therapy in progress that somehow exchanges or repairs errant dna of existing humans

I have never heard of it, but I doubt it. If this did exist, why wouldn't they already be using this to cure those born with genetic disorders? If this existed it would be all over the news.

I believe that what we are discussing however does not fall into those areas of manipulation in quite the way I am thinking but there may be research working on it as we speak.

It doesn't, but there is probably research being done.

without knowing just how much of a role genetics play in lifespan then you are assuming.

One always assumes because genetics plays a different role in one's lifespan in each person. One born with a genetic disorder, for example, is more greatly affected than the average person. For the average, healthy person however, it is common sense that the environment has a greater affect on the lifespan than genes. Look at the average human death cause. Is 'old age" the highest percentage? I think not.

I think i am not stupid to ask the question since it is one of the hottest types of topics today namely "how can we live longer".

But "how can we live longer" and "why aren't we immortal" are two very different questions.

I believe that if we can figure out what controls the breakdown of our cells dna then science will try to control that and I believe that the control is within our dna somewhere so if you would like to give me a dunce cap so be it.

I am not giving you a dunce cap. Even if we could find where in our genes controls mitosis, even if we could "repair" our genes so that our cells don't stop regenerating (which would have to be done repeatedly as there is no protein which would do this permanately), even if we could live forever, it still wouldn't be natural. There is no protein created from our DNA that could accomplish being able to live forever. This is why evolution has yet to accomplish this. Long life, yes. Eternity? No.

1) the exact conditions needed for living things to survive could not always have existed:[
a) the size of the sun is constantly getting smaller so it is probable that at one time the earth was too hot for life to exist
b) the moon does not hold a perfect orbit around the earth but is in fact moving away from the earth at a rate of 1.5 inches per year, how long that amout has been stable is a guess as it may have changed over time, so you may want to try some math on this to see what you get for a time that it would be possible for the moon to have reached a point of stability with the earth that allowed for life to exist.
c) the earth is cooling and there is a definite point when no life could have existed because of internal temperatures.
d) the magnetic field of the earth appears to be lessening and may also have an inpact on life as we know it

The earth was in the correct condition to support life at least once (obviously as we are here), and if time is infinite than eventually these exact conditions will happen again. Not in this solar system, maybe not in this galaxy, but it would eventually happen again. This is why the "improbability" arguement does not cancel out the infinity arguement. In infinity, the most improbably thing could have infinite occurances.

One chemist has calculated the immense odds against amino acids ever combining to form the necessary proteins by undirected means. He estimated the probability to be more than 10 to the 67th to 1 (1067:1) against even a small protein forming – by time and chance, in an ideal mixture of chemicals, in an ideal atmosphere, and given up to 100 billion years (an age 10 to 20 times greater than the supposed age of the Earth).Mathematicians generally agree that, statistically, any odds beyond 1 in 10 to the 50th (1:1050) have a zero probability of ever happening ("and even that gives it the benefit of the doubt!").
also...

Which proteins exactly? Different proteins would obviously have different percentages of probability. Also, the first few proteins made wouldn't have been the necessary ones. They would have been even simpler ones and then they would have changed over time to become more intricate. Did they assume sequential trials or ones at the same time? What, and how many proteins, did they assume was necessary for life? etc. I'll go on.

Also, abiogenesis doesn't believe that the first "lifeforms" were bacteria. First there were simple chemicals, then polymers, then replicating polymers, then hypercycle, etc (and many of the steps are being left out). This is usually not considered when they experiment to find the probability of this happening.

"The chance that useful DNA molecules would develop without a Designer are approximately zero. the DNA (which is essential for the synthesis of proteins) cannot exist without the protein enzyme (DNA-polymerase). …there is virtually no chance that chemical 'letters' would spontaneously produce coherent DNA and protein 'words'." (George Howe, expert in biological sciences and Creation/Evolution issues)

They wouldn't need DNA polymerase in early lifeforms because they could have single self replicating devices or catalysts which regenerate themselves. DNA polymerase could have evolved from those.

And could you give more information on this George Howe? The only person I know by that name is an artist.

There are no known physical laws which give molecules a natural tendency to arrange themselves into such coded structures.

Perhaps not those strutures exactly, but atoms do want to fuse together in order to even out their electrons. It's one of the main bases on which chemistry rests.

Dr. Stanley Miller and Dr. Sidney Fox were two of the first scientists to attempt laboratory experiments aimed at trying to prove that life could arise spontaneously. They designed a Pyrex apparatus containing methane, ammonia, and water vapor, but no oxygen. Through this mixture they passed electric sparks to simulate lightning strikes. What was the result? No life was produced, of course, but the electricity did combine some atoms to form amino acids.

The amino acids are significant to the abiogenesis theory though. Life wasn't immediately produced, that is a common mistake when dealing with abiogenesis.

{quote] . The mixture of amino acids and other simple chemicals produced is not correct for producinglife. [/quote]

All known life. The simplest lifeforms which would have been alive then wouldn't have needed all of the proteins that we need now. And how do we know that those amino acids were used to create the life? They could have been altered/added to/etc as they reach the next phase. Remember, it doesn't jump right to producing life.

Famed researcher Sir Fred Hoyle

I don't think overly highly of that man. He was involved in a hoax by Creationists which stated that the Archaeopteryx was a fake when it wasn't.

I'm sorry I took so long. I just been very busy, though I do check here when I am able.

dolly said:
and I understand that there is a gene therapy in progress that somehow exchanges or repairs errant dna of existing humans
I have never heard of it, but I doubt it. If this did exist, why wouldn't they already be using this to cure those born with genetic disorders? If this existed it would be all over the news.
KBC is right about this one. Gene therapy programs exists today for such genetic disorders as hemophilia, and human testing has already begun. Unfortunately, one of the subjects died as a result of the therapy, setting things back for safety reasons. Remember the famous cloned sheep who bears your name, dolly? That was part of the gene therapy development program.

Here is an article about gene therapy for a different disorder: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/w...;contentId=A18182-2003Feb28&notFound=true

KBC1963

One chemist has calculated the immense odds against amino acids ever combining to form the necessary proteins by undirected means. He estimated the probability to be more than 10 to the 67th to 1 (1067:1) against even a small protein forming – by time and chance, in an ideal mixture of chemicals, in an ideal atmosphere, and given up to 100 billion years (an age 10 to 20 times greater than the supposed age of the Earth).Mathematicians generally agree that, statistically, any odds beyond 1 in 10 to the 50th (1:1050) have a zero probability of ever happening ("and even that gives it the benefit of the doubt!").
also...

Which proteins exactly? Different proteins would obviously have different percentages of probability. Also, the first few proteins made wouldn't have been the necessary ones. They would have been even simpler ones and then they would have changed over time to become more intricate. Did they assume sequential trials or ones at the same time? What, and how many proteins, did they assume was necessary for life? etc. I'll go on.

I believe the correct answer would any of the proteins necessary and you very probably could pick at every stage of their statistical conclusions but for each set of variables you introduce to offset a statistical improbability it becomes just that much more improbable of occuring

The earth was in the correct condition to support life at least once (obviously as we are here)

Only if you can conclusively rule out my theory of a creation by GOD

This is why the "improbability" arguement does not cancel out the infinity arguement

when you look at all the steps you have pointed out as to how life may have come to be you inadvertantly took improbability to a whole new level of itself, if we use logic and analyze things your picture of beginnings becomes a nightmare of how many improbabilities need to occur "and these are not just reasonable improbabilities but as close to impossible as you can get" in order for each positive sucessive step in the beginning of life.
If I had a comprehesive list of the steps you believe it would take to get life to the point that it has dna and give each stage an aproximate time it would take evolution to accomplish each one and then refigure the odds against each of those high improbabilities simultaneously occuring, and continuing to occur in order for there to be a continuous flow to life there would be an improbability that becomes so enormous that even the concept of infinity cannot overcome it.
Have you thought out how many things would have to happen in a continuation as well as the super high improbabilities all at the same time?

He estimated the probability to be more than 10 to the 67th to 1 (1067:1) against even a small protein forming – by time and chance, in an ideal mixture of chemicals, in an ideal atmosphere, and given up to 100 billion years (an age 10 to 20 times greater than the supposed age of the Earth).Mathematicians generally agree that, statistically, any odds beyond 1 in 10 to the 50th (1:1050) have a zero probability of ever happening ("and even that gives it the benefit of the doubt!").

When even one of the items in your list has probabilities like the one shown above it became unbelievable to me and once you started stacking probabilities one on top of another that are equally improbable you bring me to the realization that you must believe in a truly powerfull god because it would take the power of a god to overcome everything that calculates against your idea's/beliefs. it seems strange that with as high a regard as you hold science you quickly dismiss the science of statistics in order that your belief system may continue.

I notice you didn't have anything for these items but they are very important since your theorems would depend on you overcoming these little gems;

No known life can use any combination of both "right-handed" and "left-handed" amino acids. Adding even one "right-handed" amino acid to a chain of "left-handed" amino acids can destroy the entire chain! When amino acids are synthesized in the laboratory, there is always a 50% mixture of the two forms. Only through highly advanced, intelligently controlled processes can these two forms be separated.

"…in the atmosphere and in the various water basins of the primitive earth, many destructive interactions would have so vastly diminished, if not altogether consumed, essential precursor chemicals, that chemical evolution rates would have been negligible. The soup would have been too dilute for direct polymerization to occur. Even local ponds for concentrating soup ingredients would have met with the same problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end of all my researching this was the one thing my scientific mind could not overcome "improbability", I was able to say many things in the same manner as you have and and each point had some possibility of occuring but until you try and pile everything together and make it work and still obey the odds of statistical probability you don't realize just how far into the belief system you are, once I came to understand that it would take a level of belief beyond my capabilities to continue with evolution/science as my god I gave up on it.
I wonder if anyone has tryed to figure the odds of there being a GOD?

KBC1963

The "conjecture" is supported by the evidence. We have observed species evolve into other species. We have observed species change over time to better suit their environment.

As I have pointed out already the proofs you brought to the table do not satisfy the meaning of evolution for me.

O. gigas is proof of evolution. This new species came into existence by means of genetic variation.

the definition of a new species is not satisfied by the occurance you have shown, it is equally argueable that it has become a subspecies, and using conjecture to say that it could fit into the meaning of evolution would be just that conjecture.

Here is some evidence:
The younger human fossils are, the more characteristics they have of ours. The older human fossils are, the less characteristics they have of modern humans. In fact, over millions of years the characteristics are so different that it would be impossible for modern humans to breed with our million year old ancestors successfully.

You base the idea that they couldnt breed on what? physical or genetic?
One other thing I will point out is that we don't know exactly what changes could occur to a skeleton over time, we may be seeing changes because of some unforseen natural change to the original skeleton by the environment and incorrectly assuming it was a natural thing for it to be as it is now.

I encourage you to be as skeptical of Creationism as you are of evolution

Indeed for many years I held beliefs that were not far from your own. I would ask that you look at the last post I just made to dolly as this shows how I was able to overcome the assertions of science using another science "statistical probability" and as I have said in other postings I have ruled out any natural posibility of life occuring just using this method to deal with each event that is proposed to have to occur in order for life to go from nonexistant to existing. I think you should try sometime to layout all proposed sequences of events that would have to occur in order for life to come about and then apply the science of probability to each event and don't forget that you must account for everything in the physicl world that would have to be there to support that chain and each of its probabilities as well.
Science is great isn't it!!!!!

I have some questions for you: if God did not create life through evolution, why did He create simpler organisms (like jawless fish) and then gradually create more complex organisms (like primitive bony fish and amphibians) and, while He was doing this, go back and kill off the simpler organisms? Why did He give whales finger bones, since they are useless to them (as whales have flippers)? Why, praytell, did God create some human-like primates, then destroy them, then create some even smarter and more human-like primates, then destroy them, and then finally create modern humans? How does any of that make any sense at all, unless evolution is the process by which God created?

your assumtion that simple became complex and that each came in a sequence is the error in that statement. I believe the flood caused stratification and that is why we get the appearance that life graduated as time went on, I believe all the variations were there from the begining.

Why did He give whales finger bones, since they are useless to them (as whales have flippers)?

I have considered this before and tho I don't have conclusive answers it may be that we just don't understand why it is there in the same way that some of our own organs were wondered at, scientists wondered about our apendix for a long time before figuring it out so at this point I just don't know enough about the whale fingers to understand their need to be there or not be there and who knows but GOD may have made things in this way so that conclusive proof of himself could not be accertained otherwise you would not need faith to be saved.

dolly

Mr_Spinkles said:
KBC is right about this one. Gene therapy programs exists today for such genetic disorders as hemophilia, and human testing has already begun. Unfortunately, one of the subjects died as a result of the therapy, setting things back for safety reasons. Remember the famous cloned sheep who bears your name, dolly? That was part of the gene therapy development program.

Here is an article about gene therapy for a different disorder: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/w...;contentId=A18182-2003Feb28&notFound=true

Thanks for correcting me and the link. I'll look into it a bit more. : )

but for each set of variables you introduce to offset a statistical improbability it becomes just that much more improbable of occuring

Not necessarily, because, for example, it might be improbable for the amino acids to be created, but it isn't necessarily more probable that these amino acids become proteins, etc. Also (and again), it depends on how many trials are happening at one time. Even if the chances of it happening are improbable, many trials would make it more likely as it speeds up the rate.

Only if you can conclusively rule out my theory of a creation by GOD

I need to rule out the existence/creation of the earth by god in order to prove that we exist right now?

your picture

Not mine. It's what abiogenesis is.

of beginnings becomes a nightmare of how many improbabilities need to occur

Not necessarily. Again, it depends on the probability that some of the things which were made will turn into other... things. haha I need to sleep more.

If I had a comprehesive list of the steps you believe it would take to get life to the point that it has dna and give each stage an aproximate time it would take evolution to accomplish each one and then refigure the odds against each of those high improbabilities simultaneously occuring, and continuing to occur in order for there to be a continuous flow to life there would be an improbability that becomes so enormous that even the concept of infinity cannot overcome it.

Problem the first- You wouldn't be taking into account the simultaneous trials. Problem the second - they wouldn't necessarily happen simultaneously (not continuous either mind you, but a combination of this which is very difficult to calculate). Problem the third - they wouldn't need to "continuously occur" unless it was a very, very simple base (in which case it would be some of the first thing evolved). The rest would reproduce with the hypercycle/etc.

Have you thought out how many things would have to happen in a continuation as well as the super high improbabilities all at the same time?

Problem the fourth- it wouldn't necessarily have to happen in a continuous fashion.

When even one of the items in your list has probabilities like the one shown above it became unbelievable to me and once you started stacking probabilities one on top of another that are equally improbable you bring me to the realization that you must believe in a truly powerfull god because it would take the power of a god to overcome everything that calculates against your idea's/beliefs.

No, because those probabilities don't acknowledge many things which make it more probable. But it you don't want to leave in evolution, then don't. It's your choice. *shrug*

it seems strange that with as high a regard as you hold science you quickly dismiss the science of statistics in order that your belief system may continue.

Statistics aren't necessarily trust worthy. Also, I always see/read/etc those statistics leave out too many conditions which leaves me to now trust them.

No known life can use any combination of both "right-handed" and "left-handed" amino acids. Adding even one "right-handed" amino acid to a chain of "left-handed" amino acids can destroy the entire chain! When amino acids are synthesized in the laboratory, there is always a 50% mixture of the two forms. Only through highly advanced, intelligently controlled processes can these two forms be separated.

That is because I admit that I do not know too much about this subject. The key word there is a 50% mixture. Nature wouldn't have a 50% mixture. There would have been much more left-handed amino acids than right handed ones. For example, in space most meteorites have left-handed amino acids (because of weak nuclear force, circular polarized light, asymmetry with beta decay, ). This (and meteorites hitting earth) could have easily influenced the left handed amino acid percentage. Once it is the chirality is selected (left handed in this case), catalysts make that dominant in solutions. Thus it is much more probable that the amino acids will be made all left handed than a mix.

"…in the atmosphere and in the various water basins of the primitive earth, many destructive interactions would have so vastly diminished, if not altogether consumed, essential precursor chemicals, that chemical evolution rates would have been negligible. The soup would have been too dilute for direct polymerization to occur. Even local ponds for concentrating soup ingredients would have met with the same problem.

What was the source for that?

Which destructive interactions are they talking about? What evidence is there that these interactions occured?

To be honest, I know nothing about this as I have never heard it before this thread. You should ask talkorigins.org or someone who knows more about it than I do.

KBC1963

Dolly I do hear your arguement and from a scientific standpoint many things have a possibility, the point I was trying to make from the last post was not that I am definitly right but that the theories that science is using are so full of improbable holes that it requires a prudent person to throw reason to the wind in order to buy into them and from my view this isnt true science, to me the meaning of true science is this:

A scientist is someone who hypothesis what may be true based on the current data and then goes out and investigates and collects more data to see if his hypothesis holds out or not. If the data collected appears to support his hypothesis and the scientific community agrees that it does based on the evidence, it then becomes a theory. If it does not, then the hypothesis is rejected and another one is created based on the current evidence at hand. This is not what "science" has done. "science" has stated that most evidence shows that spontaneous generation of life is not how we got here, but despite this evidence, it states, "Yet here we are—as a result of spontaneous generation." It is a leap of faith based on the world view, not on the collected data it has in hand. When "science" does this, it stopped being "science". If it continues to hold his position despite the evidence to the contrary and so teaches others, not only has true "science" become extinct, but also becomes a hindrance to finding out what is true.

When a person does an improbability study on a theory I agree that there are a pile of variables to account for but none the less we should do our best scientificly to account for as much as possible in the calculation, so when I was talking about the stacked improbabilities I was looking at things like this, you have to figure all the probabilities for all the things that would have to be in place before the first true step towards life could be considered possible and then each of the successive equally improbable steps to get to the life itself and those steps must be contiguous as the situation that would allow life to occur could change at any moment "considering that there are many many variable to keep the conditions right" during the time that any part of the items of life are existing. So there is more to figure than just the possibility that any one stage could occur, you must logicly lay out the steps it would take and then figure probabilities based on the variables for each individual change and then above that you must figure the probability that those exact steps could all have occured in a contiguous manner so what happens in the end is that any sane prudent person would look at the odds and say hey this just isnt possible.

Here are a few more gems that defies the picture science is painting for us:

The genetic code has a very unique error-minimization capability. Researchers working with 1018 possible genetic codes (of the 1.4 X 1070 possible codes) with similar error-minimization capabilities found that they mostly tended to group in a normal distribution curve which they rated at code error values of 3.2 to 12.4 . However, the universal genetic code of our life system rated outside of this distribution with a superior error code rating of 2.6 . "Only one in a million other possible codes is better". If a computer was evaluating codes in order to select the best, to come up with our universal genetic code it would have to evaluate 1054 codes a second, requiring a very powerful super computer.

Abiogenesis is a mathematical impossibility. Sir Fred Hoyle, a British astronomer and mathematician, calculated the odds of one simple bacterium arising from a primordial soup. He assumed that the 20 amino acids were present in the soup (contrary to the results of the Miller-Urey experiment, which yielded only seven of the simplest amino acids). A simple bacterium is comprised of 2,000 different functioning proteins. In turn, each protein consists of a chain of about 300 amino acids. There are 20 distinct amino acids, so the odds of one proteinated amino acid occurring in the correct sequence is one in 20. The odds of 300 occurring in the correct sequence is one in 30020. Hoyle realized that there can be some variation in the exact sequence, so the odds would be reduced to one in 1020. But because there must be 2,000 different functioning proteins, the odds of the spontaneous generation of a cell is one in 10(20)(2,000) = 1040,000. Even ignoring the problems beyond the math (such as the counter-productive effects that individual essential chemical components have upon each other, and the inability to create all 20 amino acids under simulated conditions), abiogenesis is impossible.

The relationship between DNA and protein is very complicated. DNA uses a series of basis, three at a time, to line up what are called R-groups. R-groups are the part of the amino acid that stick out along the protein chain. "R" stands for "variable radical." This means an R-group can be an acid, base, hydrogen atom, a short chain, long chain, a single or double ring, fat-soluble or water-soluble. As far as science has been able to find, there is no factor in nature which lines these groups up for a desired result, especially for what is required for life. Base/R-group orderly, with a purpose, relationships must be imposed on matter from an outside force. There is nothing existing in matter to bring about these relationships.

Complexity of Biopolymers
There are four biopolymers, primary construction materials, required for the simplest life form. They are: proteins, nucleic acids (DNA, RNA), polysaccharide and lipids.

Proteins: any of a group of nitrogenous organic compounds of high molecular weight, synthesized by plants and animals, that upon hydrolysis by enzymes yield amino acids, and that are required for all life processes in animals.

Nucleic Acid (DNA, RNA): any of a group of complex acids occurring in all living cells, especially as a component of cell-nucleus proteins, and composed of a phosphoric acid group, a carbohydrate, two purine, and two pyrimidine.

Polysaccharide: a carbohydrate, as starch, insulin, cellulose, etc., containing more than three monosaccharide units per molecule and capable of hydrolysis by acids or enzymes to monosaccharides.

Carbohydrates: an organic compound, sugars and starch, made of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen in which the number of hydrogen and oxygen atoms are in approximately 2:1 proportion. Carbo means "carbon" and hydrate means "water"; because of the 2:1 proportion of hydrogen to oxygen which is the same as water (H2O) these compounds are hydrates of carbon.

Lipids: a class of organic compounds composed of hydrogen, carbon, and oxygen in which the oxygen content is relatively low — fats, steroids. Lip means fat. Also these organic compounds that are greasy to the touch, insoluble in water, and soluble in alcohol, ether, and other fat solvents. Lipids comprise the fats and other esters with analogous properties and constitute, with proteins and carbohydrates, the chief structural components of living cells.
Not one of these have ever been produced by man in a laboratory. This is because their construction is very complex. For example enzymes which are special proteins which act as catalysts for chemical reactions are made of amino acids that must be arranged in a specific sequence. there are 20 amino acids involved in the construction of enzymes and all of these bond to each other equally. Sir Fred Hoyle and Chandra Wickramasinghe state that the probability of these amino acids forming together correctly in sequence by chance is 1 in 10260.347 2,000 different functioning enzymes are required to duplicate the simplest bacterium. The probability of all 2,000 forming by chance is 1 in 1020 multiplied together 2,000 times, or 1 in 1040,000. We humans use over 200,000 types of protein in our cells.

The Complexity of DNA
Now we move to the DNA molecule and the chance formation of life becomes even more ludicrous. The simplest life form scientists like to use for discussion is the bacterium E. coli. E. coli’s DNA consists of 3-4 million base pairs. These pairs are not arranged randomly but intelligently with a purpose for the life of the cell. This number of base pairs can be arranged in 102,000,000 different ways. This means that if evolutionists are correct that by chance these base pairs, built on every other factor we have already discussed, came together to produce a reproducing organism called E. coli. Frank Salisbury who is a Professor of Plant Physiology at Utah State University wrote in an article in American Biology Teacher (1971),

"Since there are four kinds of nucleotide in a DNA chain, one consisting of 1,000 links could exist in 41,000 different forms. Using a little algebra (logarithms), we can see that 41,000 = 10600. . . . Imagine how many universes it would take to accommodate 10600 DNA chains!"
This means that even if billions of planets were covered with a solution with the necessary amino acids that the chance formation of DNA would not occur over billions and billions of years. If only 100 genes were necessary to synthesize the proteins necessary for the simplest life form, the odds of this coming about by chance in ten billion years is 10-30,000. In light of these odds Fred Hoyle stated that chance formation of life on earth is "nonsense of a high order." Molecular biologist Michael Denton calls it "an affront to reason."

The most ancient fossils are of blue-green algae, these being more than 3 billion years old. Thats right, the same blue-green algae that exists today, in fact there is NO evidence of change in blue-green algae over the billennia. How can anything be this stable? In the animal kingdom the shark also provides the same evidence of excellence of design and non-susceptibility to changes due to random mutation!

The fossil record indicates that for 3.3 billion years of life history on Earth not much happened, there was only single-celled creatures and long chains of similar single cells. Then suddenly 543 million years ago species with specialized organs, joints and appendages appeared. During this explosion of life, called the "Cambrian explosion", more than 70 phyla appeared, all 30 phyla in existence today, and including 40 or more now extinct. All this probably occurring within less than 3 million years and in the following 540 million years no new phyla appeared.
Recent analysis of the marine invertebrate fossil record reveals that biodiversity peaked soon after the onset of the Cambrian explosion and has remained constant since then. Biodiversity appears to have reached a ceiling level almost immediately after complex animal life first appeared on the scene.
If true, this rapid and varied change in complexity of life forms defies a naturalistic explanation!

Dolly here is something to consider, if you believe it is still possible for life to have begun on accident in a natural way then tell me why for all of our high intelligence and sophisticated machinery and the ability to manipulate the very atoms we can't make it happen on purpose? It would seem to me if it could overcome fantastic odds in the natural case then we should be able to do it in our sleep, but It appears that random chance is smarter than all the worlds scientist.
True science has been filed away somewhere and even tho we have tryed everything we know to make even the beginnings of life happen in a preset chamber, science still says it couldnt have happened any other way than by random possibility. What if science were to try and prove that life began by design? how much evidence would then be on the side of science? science should by rights look at any theoretical answer including intelligent design as this would be true science investigating every possible venue.

KBC1963

Dolly here is the info on George Howe,

"The chance that useful DNA molecules would develop without a Designer are approximately zero. Then let me conclude by asking which came first – the DNA (which is essential for the synthesis of proteins) or the protein enzyme (DNA-polymerase) without which DNA synthesis is nil? …there is virtually no chance that chemical 'letters' would spontaneously produce coherent DNA and protein 'words'." (George Howe, expert in biological sciences and Creation/Evolution issues)
[George Howe, "Addendum to As a Watch Needs a Watchmaker," Creation Research Society Quarterly, Vol. 23, No. 2 (September 1986), p. 65.]

George F. Howe: Botanist and biologist / Creationist / Ph.D. and M.Sc. in Botany from Ohio State University (1959, 1956) / Post-doctoral studies in radiation biology, Cornell University (1965-66) / Post-doctoral studies in botany, Washington State University (1961) / Post-doctoral studies in desert biology, Arizona State University (1963) / Former Assistant Professor of biology and botany at Westmont College, Santa Barbara, California / Charter member and former President of the Creation Research Society / Director of CRS Grand Canyon Experimental Station / Professor and Chairman of the Division of Natural Sciences, The Master's College, Newhall, California / Published papers in scientific journals including: Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences, Ohio Journal of Science, and Creation Research Society Quarterly / Twice voted Teacher of the Year by students at The Master's College.

Here are a few other things I found in my files;

Walter Bradley and Charles Thaxton (authors of The Mystery of Life's Origins: Reassessing Current Theories) had this to say about probability and the origin of a protein after outlining a number of arguments against an evolutionary origin of the same:

The problem of assembling the amino acid building blocks into functional protein can also be illustrated using probability and statistics. To simplify the problem, one may assume the probability of getting an L-amino acid (versus a D-amino acid) to be 50 percent and the probability of joining two such amino acids with a peptide bond to also be 50 percent. The probability of getting the right amino acid in a particular position may be assumed to be 5 percent, assuming equal concentration of all twenty amino acids in the pre biotic soup. The first two assumptions are realistic, while the third would be too low for some amino acids and to high for others.
Neglecting the problem of reactions with non-amino acid chemical species, the probability of getting everything right in placing one amino acid would be 0.5 x 0.5 x .05 = .0125. The probability of properly assembling N such amino acids would be .0125 x .0125 x ...continued for N terms of .0125. If a functional protein had one hundred active sights, the probability of getting a proper assembly would be .0125 multiplied times itself one hundred times, or 4.9 x 10191. Such improbabilities have led essentially all scientists who work in the field to reject random, accidental assembly or fortuitous good luck as an explanation for how life began.
If we assume that all carbon on earth exists in the form of amino acids and that amino acids are allowed to chemically react at the maximum possible rate of 1012 /s for one billion years (the greatest possible time between the cooling of the earth and the appearance of life), we must still conclude that it is incredibly improbable (~1065) that even one functional protein would be made, as H.P. Yockey has pointed out. (H.P. Yockey, "A Calculation of the Probability of Spontaneous Biogenesis by Information Theory,"Journal of Theoretical Biology 67(1981)

Francis Crick, the man who shared the Nobel Prize in 1962 with James Watson and Maurice Wilkins for their discovery of the molecular structure of DNA had this to say about probability factors and protein synthesis:
" To produce this miracle of molecular construction all the cell need do is to string together the amino acids (which make up the polypeptide chain) in the correct order. This is a complicated biochemical process, a molecular assembly line, using instructions in the form of a nucleic acid tape (the so-called messenger RNA). Here we need only ask, how many possible proteins are there? If a particular amino acid sequence was selected by chance, how rare of an event would that be?
This is an easy exercise in combinatorials. Suppose the chain is about two hundred amino acids long; this is , if anything, rather less than the average length of proteins of all types. Since we have just twenty possibilities at each place, the number of possibilities is twenty multiplied by itself some two hundred times. This is conveniently written 20 200, that is a one followed by 260 zeros!
This number is quite beyond our everyday comprehension. For comparison, consider the number of fundamental particles (atoms, speaking loosely) in the entire visible universe, not just in our own galaxy with its 1011 stars, but in all the billions of galaxies, out to the limits of observable space. This number, which is estimated to be 1080, is quite paltry by comparison to 10260. Moreover, we have only considered a polypeptide chain of a rather modest length. Had we considered longer ones as well, the figure would have been even more immense.(Life Itself, its origin and nature, Francis Crick, 1981, pp 51-52)

Molecular formation: Theories concerning molecular evolution generally assume molecules naturally coalescence into macromolecules during times when their concentration and atmospheric conditions favored such contact. In 1924, Alexander I. Oparin determined which chemicals must be in the earth's atmosphere for amino acids to form (e.g. methane, hydrogen, ammonia) and which chemicals would prohibit the formation of amino acids (e.g. Oxygen).
In the 1950s, Stanley L. Miller, performed the first experiment attempting to reproduce these conditions. Methane, ammonia, hydrogen and water were placed in a flask that was subject to an electrical discharge. After several days, the experiment yielded several organic compounds including amino acids. Other researchers repeated these experiments using different energy sources such as UV, and other presumed primitive atmospheres. When hydrogen cyanide was used, even nitrogenous bases were obtained, which are a components of the building blocks for DNA.
However, in all of these experiments that attempted to produce life's building blocks, molecular oxygen was absent. The earth possesses an oxygen rich atmosphere, and even the oldest rocks contain oxides which is evidence they were formed in the presence of oxygen. In fact, oxides have been found in rocks supposedly 300 million years older than the first living cells. Oxygen is produces by all photosynthetic organisms, and is required for metabolism by all life forms except a few microorganisms. A hydrogen-rich reducing atmosphere was only reproduced in these experiments because amino acids and nitrogenous bases simply will not spontaneously form in an oxidizing environment.

The Question of Time,
Time only increases the chance of things coming about that can come about. But None of the major parts of cells (proteins, DNA, RNA, Lipids) can do that. As time passes, all decompose. No part will work unless it works with other parts.
This is evidence.
Later evolutionists decided that the huge amounts of time had never really existed. Why? Fossils of ancient bacteria were found which, according to evolutionary dates, lived 3.55 billion years ago, only a half billion years after evolutionists believe the earth had cooled down enough to support life. These fossils, "… look identical to bacteria still on Earth today." Today's evolutionists say that this left very little time for a first primitive life to form and then evolve enough to look identical to modern bacteria.
De Duve, a Nobel scientist wrote of these fossils:
"Advanced forms of life existed on earth at least 3.55 billion years ago.…It is now generally agreed that if life arose spontaneously by natural processes…it must have arisen fairly quickly, more in a matter of millennia or centuries, perhaps even less, than in millions of years."
Even those like De Duve who believe in an old earth realize there was not enough time. There was no time for chance to form proteins. No time for RNA to form. No time for natural selection to perfect RNA. No time for RNA to make proteins. No time for information to accumulate gradually had information not required a mind. No billions of years. No millions of years. No time!
The odds are so overwhelmingly against each step in the spontaneous generation of life that in the past, even atheists freely admitted that life could not have formed without huge amounts of time. Today most of them admit that the billions of years never existed. Now they simply state, "Life must have formed rapidly."
If it did, it should be easy to duplicate in the lab. The fact that no one can is evidence.

Irreducible complexity
Fry also responds to the very influential book, Darwin's Black Box, written by Michael Behe, a professor of biochemistry. Behe makes the point that even the most simple cell could not function without a certain number of essential parts. He uses the common mouse trap, with a base and a wire that snaps down, as an illustration. If even one part of the trap is eliminated it will not catch mice. Behe calls this "irreducible complexity." Whether it is a mouse trap or a cell, things that are irreducibly complex could not have gradually built up one part at a time. They must have been designed because they will not work at all until a number of parts have been constructed and assembled to work together.
In order to live, a cell must at least have parts that will let it:
Separate itself from the water around it,
Take in food, and expel wastes,
Use food to make the energy the cell needs to do its work,
Contain the information that directs all this,
Reproduce.
A first cell could not have lived to produce a second cell if it lacked the parts needed to make possible even one of these abilities! This is irreducible complexity, and it is evidence of design. Many dead cells, however, have the necessary parts. To be a living cell, it also needs life.

Where Did the Information in Cells Come from?
The DNA of a bacterium contains as much information as a 1000 page book! What is information? The principle dictionary definition is, "knowledge communicated or received…."
Speaking of the information in DNA, Philip Johnson explains,
"By information, I mean a message that conveys meaning, such as a book of instructions.… Information is not matter, though it is imprinted on matter.… Instructions in the fertilized egg control embryonic development from the beginning, and direct it to a specific outcome."
Professor Werner Gitt, who works in the field of information science writes:
"There is no known natural law through which matter can give rise to information, neither is there any physical process or material phenomenon known that can do this."

The information in DNA is real information. It has been copied onto computers in the Human Genome Project, and printed out on paper. It is the same information no matter what it is written on. Many atheists understand, but purposely side-step the really difficult question, "Where does the information come from?" They substitute made up stories about where the material that carries the information might have come from. It is like thinking of a way paper could form in nature and claiming to have explained an encyclopedia.
All available evidence indicates that it takes intelligence to devise letters or code, and arrange them into instructions. Many evolutionists ignore the evidence and claim that life arose from an "organic soup," but how could the imagined soup know the precise order of each of the amino acids of even one protein, let alone the hundreds of proteins necessary for the survival of a "primitive" cell?
Others claim that RNA came first, perhaps formed by contact with a clay template, then went on to produce the first cell. This implies that the clay passed on the basic information which natural selection later perfected. Neither soup nor clay has this or any other information, but if clay had information, what are the chances that it had the right information to form the first RNA? Why not something simpler, like the directions for repairing an airplane engine or making more clay?
If clay or organic soup had passed on the directions for making RNA, how did the RNA know to make proteins? And out of millions of possible proteins, why would it have made exactly the proteins a cell would need? Could it have folded, addressed, and regulated all those proteins and enclosed them in a membrane?
Clay that could produce a simple RNA, capable of making copies of itself, would have been more intelligent than all of today's origin of life scientists put together. They can't produce any RNA at all,6 let alone one with these special abilities.

Dr. Charles Thaxton hits the nail on the head when he tells us that if it is wrong to infer that the information found in DNA comes from an intelligent source, it is equally wrong to think that intelligent messages from space would come from an intelligent source. He continues,
"More important, our knowledge of past civilizations provided by archeologists would be in jeopardy. The supposed "artifacts" might be, after all, the result of unknown natural causes. Cave paintings, for example…may not be the result of early humans… Indeed, excavated ancient libraries could not be trusted to contain the works of intelligent men and women."

I thought this was pretty funny in a scientific sort of way:

Idicative proofs against evolution:
There are cases like the Bombardier Beetle. The Bombardier Beetle has two glands which produce a liquid which is stored in two storage chambers. When this beetle wishes some of the liquid is transferred to two combustion chambers. When this beetle feels threatened he produces an audible explosion which ejects a noxious foul-smelling fluid at the temperature of boiling water. It aims this discharge with remarkable accuracy and quickly. He is able to do this twenty times or more before exhausting his supply which can then be replenished within twenty-four hours.
This liquid in the Bombardier Beetle contains 10% hydroquinones and 23% hydrogen peroxide. When these two liquids are combined in a laboratory there is an immediate explosion. How does this beetle keep from exploding before discharging this liquid? Through an inhibitor present in the liquid. When he is ready to discharge the liquid for protection, he immediately releases an anti-inhibitor as it leaves the body and the explosion occurs warning off its enemies. How complicated is this process. Modern science is not able to duplicate either the inhibitor or the anti-inhibitor.
What is the problem with this scenario? Like so many things in nature, this beetle could not exist as it does unless all these components were in place all at once at the same time. If these different traits had evolved, the beetle would have blown himself up to extinction before random mutations produced the inhibitor. The process of the Bombardier Beetle cannot be explained through mutational evolution or any other kind of evolution.

Pah

Uber all member
KBC,

So far you have worked mighty hard to deny science as a possible origin of life. I wonder if your alternative is Biblically based?

Leaving aside the contradictory creation stories, lets focus on the great Flood. It seems from that story that all but what was on the ark were killed (with the possible exception of some - not all - marine life). Only a few righteous humans and either a pair or seven "re-starters" of all other living things were present on the ark.

Would you say that evolution was the process that produced the thousands and thousands of species that we group into the various subkingdoms of living matter from the selection that Noah gathered?

Or was the ark large enough and provisioned enough to support each and every species living today? Was it designed to effect quarentine so that diseases we know today would not decimate the ark population but wait these many years afterward to "do their damage".? Was a portion designed for a botanical "re-start"?

I negelected to ask about the aquarium for those living things that depended on conditions not available in the flood waters

dolly

KBC1963 said:
I am definitly right but that the theories that science is using are so full of improbable holes that it requires a prudent person to throw reason to the wind in order to buy into them and from my view this isnt true science, to me the meaning of true science is this

I disagree with you. There are holes, yes, but I don't believe that there are so many that reason must be thrown to the wind. However, that is just my opinion.

This is not what "science" has done. "science" has stated that most evidence shows that spontaneous generation of life is not how we got here, but despite this evidence, it states, "Yet here we are—as a result of spontaneous generation."

Science doesn't say that we arrived here by spontaneous generation.

When "science" does this, it stopped being "science".

I agree.

If it continues to hold his position despite the evidence to the contrary and so teaches others, not only has true "science" become extinct, but also becomes a hindrance to finding out what is true.

Evolution has not been proven incorrect. There are wholes, but there is no evidence that says that evolution has not occured.

When a person does an improbability study on a theory... in a contiguous manner so what happens in the end is that any sane prudent person would look at the odds and say hey this just isnt possible.

I have yet to see someone do that though. The calculations which I have seen which supposedly support that evolution didn't happen forgets too many important variables.

Abiogenesis is a mathematical impossibility. Sir Fred Hoyle, a British astronomer and mathematician, calculated the odds of one simple bacterium arising from a primordial soup.
There is the problem. "One simple bacterium" didn't come out of the soup, at least not for a long, long time after the abiogenesis project started.

And again, Fred Hoyle was in a conspiracy which told people lies about the Archaeopteryx. He isn't a credible source.

The relationship between DNA and protein is very complicated.... There is nothing existing in matter to bring about these relationships.

I've never heard of the term "R groups." I admit that I don't have an answer for this, but I'm sure if you spoke to a biology major, they would. In the mean time, I'll try to read up on this. Any good (not pro-evolutionist, or pro-creationist, but informational) sources that you recommend?

Proteins:
Nucleic Acid (DNA, RNA):
Polysaccharide:
Carbohydrates:
Lipids:

I know that these are.

Not one of these have ever been produced by man in a laboratory. This is because their construction is very complex.

Sir Fred Hoyle and Chandra Wickramasinghe state that the probability of these amino acids forming together correctly in sequence by chance is 1 in 10260.347 2,000 different functioning enzymes are required to duplicate the simplest bacterium. The probability of all 2,000 forming by chance is 1 in 1020 multiplied together 2,000 times, or 1 in 1040,000. We humans use over 200,000 types of protein in our cells.

Again, Hoyle is not a credible source, and abiogenesis doesn't work that way.

Now we move to the DNA molecule and the chance formation of life becomes even more ludicrous. The simplest life form scientists like to use for discussion is the bacterium E. coli. E. coli’s DNA consists of 3-4 million base pairs. These pairs are not arranged randomly but intelligently with a purpose for the life of the cell. This number of base pairs can be arranged in 102,000,000 different ways. This means that if evolutionists are correct that by chance these base pairs, built on every other factor we have already discussed, came together to produce a reproducing organism called E. coli.

Over time, yes they did come together without any previous planning that the organism would become like the E. coli.

This means that even if billions of planets were covered with a solution with the necessary amino acids that the chance formation of DNA would not occur over billions and billions of years. If only 100 genes were necessary to synthesize the proteins necessary for the simplest life form, the odds of this coming about by chance in ten billion years is 10-30,000. In light of these odds Fred Hoyle stated that chance formation of life on earth is "nonsense of a high order." Molecular biologist Michael Denton calls it "an affront to reason."

Sources? Fred Hoyle isn't credible, and that is not how scientists believe abiogenesis works either.

How can anything be this stable? In the animal kingdom the shark also provides the same evidence of excellence of design and non-susceptibility to changes due to random mutation!

They probably have had mutations. Most of these mutations weren't adaptions, and thus evolution selected them to die.

If true, this rapid and varied change in complexity of life forms defies a naturalistic explanation!

No, because evolution isn't necessarily constant. Also, there were many life forms before that explosion. Evolution (and evidence of it) suddenly appeared in that time for various reasons. Predators that evolved in the PreCambrian era cause many species to evolve hard "armour" like skins (which make fossils much better). An iceage just ended. Hox genes probably started evolving during that time. Oxygen levels drastically increased at that time. Planktonic creatures changed the ocean's floor as their feces built up. Etc. All these things promote a rapid increase in population and diversity.

Also, before that "explosion" of species, the complex animals might just have been to small to see. Fossils under .2mm have been found which date 40-55 million years before the Cambrian era.

Biodiversity appears to have reached a ceiling level almost immediately after complex animal life first appeared on the scene.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you look at the cells (number, etc), life has been become steadily much more complex since that explosion.

Dolly here is something to consider, if you believe it is still possible for life to have begun on accident in a natural way then tell me why for all of our high intelligence and sophisticated machinery and the ability to manipulate the very atoms we can't make it happen on purpose?

I would say that because we can't replicate the number of simultaneous trials in one single period of time as nature can. It would be impossible. Also, the experiment might have to run for thousands of years. Etc. I'm sure a biology major could give you more reasons why.

It would seem to me if it could overcome fantastic odds in the natural case then we should be able to do it in our sleep, but It appears that random chance is smarter than all the worlds scientist.

Now, now, don't be egotistical. ; ) You seem to think that if nature can do it, we can. This isn't so. Nature is much more powerful than we could ever be, and she can kick humanities *** any day.

What if science were to try and prove that life began by design?

There would be none, because in order for scientists to start doing this, they would first need to prove that such a deity exists. This is impossible.

dolly

KBC1963 said:
Dolly here is the info on George Howe

Thank you. I was curious about who he was.: ) I'm not a fan of the artist George Howe. ( :D )

Such improbabilities have led essentially all scientists who work in the field to reject random, accidental assembly or fortuitous good luck as an explanation for how life began.

That is quite a statement. Essentially all? And though it is highly improbable, it still is possible. When you consider how these probabilities encompass not only the earth, but many other planets, it isn't so improbable.

If we assume that all carbon on earth exists in the form of amino acids and that amino acids are allowed to chemically react at the maximum possible rate of 1012 /s for one billion years (the greatest possible time between the cooling of the earth and the appearance of life), we must still conclude that it is incredibly improbable (~1065) that even one functional protein would be made, as H.P. Yockey has pointed out. (H.P. Yockey, "A Calculation of the Probability of Spontaneous Biogenesis by Information Theory,"Journal of Theoretical Biology 67(1981 ) [/quote]

If a particular amino acid sequence was selected by chance, how rare of an event would that be?etc

Improbable, yes, but possible.

Molecular formation:
A hydrogen-rich reducing atmosphere was only reproduced in these experiments because amino acids and nitrogenous bases simply will not spontaneously form in an oxidizing environment.

Life could begin in areas where the oxygen wasn't so thick.

The Question of Time,
If it did, it should be easy to duplicate in the lab. The fact that no one can is evidence.
It still can't be easily dupicated in a lab. As for the rest, ask a biology major. I'm sure there is an answer, and when my sister starts her biology classes, I'll ask her.

Irreducible complexity
Fry also responds to the very influential book, Darwin's Black Box, written by Michael Behe, a professor of biochemistry.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/behe.html

Where Did the Information in Cells Come from? And your rant about RNA and DNA

You mistakenly think that RNA and DNA were created to have the information. This isn't so. The information is there because of them, but they are not their because life needed information.

This liquid in the Bombardier Beetle contains 10% hydroquinones and 23% hydrogen peroxide. When these two liquids are combined in a laboratory there is an immediate explosion. How does this beetle keep from exploding before discharging this liquid? Through an inhibitor present in the liquid. When he is ready to discharge the liquid for protection, he immediately releases an anti-inhibitor as it leaves the body and the explosion occurs warning off its enemies.

[a href="http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/articles/3955_issue_03_volume_2_number_1__2_21_2003.asp#The%20Bombadier%20Beetle%20Myth%20Exploded" ]That is not how the Beetle works[/a]

The site is evolutionist, obviously, and therefore I admit biased, but it is something I believe you should read.

The main problem with your arguements (in general) is that you believe that life on earth was created because it had a purpose - the human race. This is a religious belief, so not one you will probably alter. This is why the probability factors bother you so. The way I look at iit is that life on earth wasn't created because of humans, humans were created because of the life forming. Probability doesn't matter if you look at it like that. As long as it is possible, it works.

And could you please stop underlining/bolding/coloring words and phrases like that? You probably didn't intend for me to interpret it as such, but I find it rather rude. I am reading your posts. It is unnecessary, and distracting when I am reading.

dolly

Pah is right, however improbable or imperfect the evolution theory is, it is still better than the alternatives. Until anyone can prove how a deity poofing everything is more likely than evolution, I'll believe it.

kbc_1963

Hey Dolly,
It seems that this place is harder to get back into than fort knox, you would not believe what I had to do to get back into the forums, sufice it to say that I now have a slightly modified name as my other one was impossible to get going again.
I will have my reply to your last post here in a bit.