• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution and Creationism: because ...

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Some do say they are not mutually exclusive.
I have heard many religious people say that God created everything using evolution.
They recognize the utter failure of the creationists but still want "a piece of the action." Why complicate a simple and clear answer with fairy tale complexity? Parsimony requires that you do not.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Because it is difficult for some people to believe in both?
Mainly because the everyday meaning of "creationism" is for all effects "denial of evolutionism".

It probably should have some other meaning, but those tend to be subsummed into the statement that they believe in a Creator God.

It is unfortunate that such a cause draws so much attention, but things are as they are.

12jtartar

Premium Member
Isn't that because they are totally different explanations. One scientific, one religious?

Altfish,
That is what many people believe, but nothing could be farther from the truth.
Let me ask you; who do you think would know more, and I mean know more about everything? Would it not be The Almighty Creator, who is also PERFECT in knowledge? Job 36:4, 37:16.
Actually, it takes much more faith to believe in evolution than in Creation!! The reason being; there is absolutely NO evidence of evolution, despite the many claims. People believe evolution because people who are supposed to be very smart, say that anyone who does not believe in evolution is ignorant, and most are reluctant to be called ignorant, even though very few have actually investigated evolution, or the Bible, for that matter.
There is a dictionary term, Prestabilism, which means that everything God created, both animal and plant, can ONLY reproduce after its own KIND. This is written several times, in the first chapter of Genesis, 1:11,12,21,24,25. This is a hard and fast law of God!!! For many years scientists have tried, but have failed to be able to break this law. They have made animals put on different looks, longer or shorter legs, make them more aggressive. All these changes are within the established KINDS, and called, Ontogenesis, or Ontogeny. Scientists have experimented with Tsetse Flies, which reproduce very fast, so that many generations can be studied and attempts made to cause evolution. They have failed, totally, both In vivo, and Invitro.
When Darwin was researching the idea of evolution, he said that if evolution could not be proven but the fossil record, it is a false concept. Well that would be the end of the theory, according to Darwin, because the fossil record definitely does NOT support evolution. There have been millions of fossils found, but not ONE that was evolving into a higher form of life. Every fossil was easily differentiated, was easily recognized as to what it was.
Have you ever heard of the dictionary term, Homoplasy??? This concept, which would, necessarily happen, is a complete impossibility. Can you even imagine, two animals, evolving along, one growing female organs, the other male organs, completely independently of the other. They must mature before they could mate to produce offspring. How could they live before they reproduce, and what would be the chances that they would find each other, in the entire earth.
So people think it could happen through Mutations, but no mutations can reproduce. Even such animals, such as the mule, cannot reproduce, because it is getting close to the boundaries of KIND.
Just one more point, although I could write a book on this subject, even though I am not a scientist, but a religious Minister.
If evolution was true, and happening for millions of years, as scientist claim, there would be no distinct Kinds, but all animals would be found to be evolving to a higher Kind. Scientists are always looking for their Scared Monster, the one link between any Kind. Don't you think that at least monster, between all the different Kinds would have been found, by now??
Evolution is really a blasphemy against our Creator!!!

Kueid

Avant-garde
Altfish,
Let me ask you; who do you think would know more, and I mean know more about everything? Would it not be The Almighty Creator, who is also PERFECT in knowledge? Job 36:4, 37:16.
Actually, it takes much more faith to believe in evolution than in Creation!! The reason being; there is absolutely NO evidence of evolution, despite the many claims. People believe evolution because people who are supposed to be very smart, say that anyone who does not believe in evolution is ignorant, and most are reluctant to be called ignorant, even though very few have actually investigated evolution, or the Bible, for that matter.
There is a dictionary term, Prestabilism, which means that everything God created, both animal and plant, can ONLY reproduce after its own KIND. This is written several times, in the first chapter of Genesis, 1:11,12,21,24,25. This is a hard and fast law of God!!! For many years scientists have tried, but have failed to be able to break this law. They have made animals put on different looks, longer or shorter legs, make them more aggressive. All these changes are within the established KINDS, and called, Ontogenesis, or Ontogeny. Scientists have experimented with Tsetse Flies, which reproduce very fast, so that many generations can be studied and attempts made to cause evolution. They have failed, totally, both In vivo, and Invitro.
When Darwin was researching the idea of evolution, he said that if evolution could not be proven but the fossil record, it is a false concept. Well that would be the end of the theory, according to Darwin, because the fossil record definitely does NOT support evolution. There have been millions of fossils found, but not ONE that was evolving into a higher form of life. Every fossil was easily differentiated, was easily recognized as to what it was.
Have you ever heard of the dictionary term, Homoplasy??? This concept, which would, necessarily happen, is a complete impossibility. Can you even imagine, two animals, evolving along, one growing female organs, the other male organs, completely independently of the other. They must mature before they could mate to produce offspring. How could they live before they reproduce, and what would be the chances that they would find each other, in the entire earth.
So people think it could happen through Mutations, but no mutations can reproduce. Even such animals, such as the mule, cannot reproduce, because it is getting close to the boundaries of KIND.
Just one more point, although I could write a book on this subject, even though I am not a scientist, but a religious Minister.
If evolution was true, and happening for millions of years, as scientist claim, there would be no distinct Kinds, but all animals would be found to be evolving to a higher Kind. Scientists are always looking for their Scared Monster, the one link between any Kind. Don't you think that at least monster, between all the different Kinds would have been found, by now??
How about transgenic? What are your thoughts about it?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Altfish,
There are so many flaws in the above that it would nearly take an entire book to deal with them. Let me just say that I grew up in a church that taught the above, did the research, realized I was being misled, and left it.

Therefore, my recommendation is to do the research from real scientific sources and then look for a church that doesn't teach distortions and fabrications like the above. Remember, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Blastcat

Altfish,

Some people invoke a creator in order to prove that a creator exists. Such circular thinking is never convincing.

Actually, it takes much more faith to believe in evolution than in Creation!! The reason being; there is absolutely NO evidence of evolution, despite the many claims.

1. The scientific method does not include "faith".
2. Denying facts isn't convincing.

Most people who deny science aren't scientists nor do they even understand the science that they reject.

I suppose that ToE is blasphemy to some. That's a huge part of the problem.
Religious fantasies seem to outweigh facts in some people's minds.

:)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Because it is difficult for some people to believe in both?

Considering my gods include things like the Spirit of Evolution, I find it painfully easy to "believe in" both (if "believe" is the right term to use there, which it probably isn't).

Blastcat

Considering my gods include things like the Spirit of Evolution, I find it painfully easy to "believe in" both (if "believe" is the right term to use there, which it probably isn't).

The "spirit" of evolution?... Do your gods include the "spirit" of all human concepts, or just some of them?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The "spirit" of evolution?... Do your gods include the "spirit" of all human concepts, or just some of them?

I'm going to back up a second here. Gods are that which a person or culture chooses to deify. Why they deify it varies, but typically something is deified because it's considered worthy of worship - or worthy of praise, respect, gratitude, awe, and so forth. To me, there is nothing in this world or the otherworlds that is unworthy of worship, therefore to me, everything is a deity. I use the terms "god" and "spirit" interchangeably, as I define "spirit" as "the essence or nature of a thing" and since all things are gods, all gods are spirits and all spirits are gods. That's the basic grounding of my theology, at any rate.

The Spirit of Evolution is not a human concept - it is an honorific way of referring to the phenomena of biological evolution, and biological evolution exists regardless of whether or not there are any humans around to be doing any conceptualizing. Honestly, I'd hesitate to label anything as a "human concept" except when referencing the human understanding of a concept - I don't believe humans "own" any concepts.

Blastcat

I'm going to back up a second here. Gods are that which a person or culture chooses to deify. Why they deify it varies, but typically something is deified because it's considered worthy of worship - or worthy of praise, respect, gratitude, awe, and so forth. To me, there is nothing in this world or the otherworlds that is unworthy of worship, therefore to me, everything is a deity. I use the terms "god" and "spirit" interchangeably, as I define "spirit" as "the essence or nature of a thing" and since all things are gods, all gods are spirits and all spirits are gods. That's the basic grounding of my theology, at any rate.

The Spirit of Evolution is not a human concept - it is an honorific way of referring to the phenomena of biological evolution, and biological evolution exists regardless of whether or not there are any humans around to be doing any conceptualizing. Honestly, I'd hesitate to label anything as a "human concept" except when referencing the human understanding of a concept - I don't believe humans "own" any concepts.

Ok, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I asked because I suppose the way that you use the word "god" is a little ... different than most monotheists, to say the least! I think I could use the word "god" to mean "all things", but I just find the term redundant. I can say that I revere all things, ( and call that god ) but .. I really don't revere all things, not really. In theory I can.. but in practice, no. I am NOT so idealistic as to want to revere childhood leukemia, for example. I'm that shallow, I suppose.

To me, saying that there is some "essence or nature of things" is very confusing. I would like to know what you mean by that if not another concept. Again, to me, it seems that you revere your concepts. I used to be that way for a while, and felt really good about myself, but I consider that phase ... naive by my standards today. It was great fun BEING naive, of course, nothing wrong with fun. But I consider those days to be more "magical" than my positions now. I love romanticism.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
The pope believes in evolution and the NT. I, however, believe the OT is strictly 100% correct and the Genesis account directly contradicts with current secular theory. Jesus also believed in Genesis, He quoted from it more than any other book. I'll go along with what He said rather than scientists who change their theories around every decade or so.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The pope believes in evolution and the NT. I, however, believe the OT is strictly 100% correct and the Genesis account directly contradicts with current secular theory. Jesus also believed in Genesis, He quoted from it more than any other book. I'll go along with what He said rather than scientists who change their theories around every decade or so.
Do you know what "theory" actually means within a scientific context?

BTW, why do you believe the "O.T." is "entirely correct"? What is that based on?

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Do you know what "theory" actually means within a scientific context?

BTW, why do you believe the "O.T." is "entirely correct"? What is that based on?

1. Answer redacted.

2. I believe the OT to be the word of the living God Jehovah. Jehovah is holy and He never lies so yes, his word is 100% correct.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Isn't that because they are totally different explanations. One scientific, one religious?
Only one is an explanation. The other is just an assertion of agency.

If religion is an important component of one's status community, any challenge to it could be perceived as a challenge to one's ego-identity.
In the face of contradictory scientific explanations, the religious community sometimes feels compelled to circle the wagons and embrace a more extremist world-view, in an attempt to protect its ego-integrity.