• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution and a Muslim's perspective

firedragon

Veteran Member
According to my understanding evolution does not have anything to say about whether or not there is a supreme creator. Darwin considered it absurd to doubt that a person could be an ardent theist and evolutionist.

Evolution does (according to my understanding) reject the concept that humans are a special act of creation as opposed to an evolutionary product of natural selection, however there seems to be plenty of evidence of common genetic material between humans and other apes. For example, "Ever since researchers sequenced the chimp genome in 2005, they have known that humans share about 99% of our DNA with chimpanzees" 1

How do you propose that common genetic material came to be in our genes if it wasn't through us and chimpanzees having a common ancestor?

1 Bonobos Join Chimps as Closest Human Relatives

Why did you name this thread "Evolution and a Muslim's perspective"? Its a good thread, but I would like to understand your purpose and I am sure you have one.

That being left to consider, Islamic theology has had its tug o wars through out history. But that is predominantly post Quranic theological views in conflict with each other. But if you analyse the Quran there are not many statements that honestly goes against evolution directly. In fact, some of the statements seem to support evolution.

I am interested to hear your perspective.

firedragon

Veteran Member
You haven't address my point.

Like I said, someone would have to demonstrate the existence of god(s) before any such god(s) can be inserted into our understanding of the world.
We don't insert unnecessary and unobserved things into scientific theories that haven't ever been demonstrated to exist. Why would we?

Thats actually a fair statement when it comes to God and inserting God haphazardly.

But you see, there are people who have "faith" in abiogenesis with out it being proven to be fact. I am not saying that science goes about making facts, that's unscientific. But there are some who truly believe its fact or at least speak of it as fact. Thus, it seems like someone is trying to insert it.

Thats why generalisation of this kind of phenomena to anyone is not a fair stance. When you say "we", who do you mean?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Why did you name this thread "Evolution and a Muslim's perspective"? Its a good thread, but I would like to understand your purpose and I am sure you have one.
Because I was discussing evolution from a Muslim perspective.

That being left to consider, Islamic theology has had its tug o wars through out history. But that is predominantly post Quranic theological views in conflict with each other. But if you analyse the Quran there are not many statements that honestly goes against evolution directly. In fact, some of the statements seem to support evolution.
I am interested to hear your perspective.
There are some Quran statements which seem irreconcilable with evolution and others which seem interpreted post hoc to justify evolution, but which could be read other ways.

firedragon

Veteran Member
The perspective of a Muslim

Just give an honest answer what you wish to discuss. What is your purpose of the OP?

You named it "from a Muslim perspective" but you did not give any idea what you wish to understand or discuss. Just saying muslim perspective in your heading that is not related to your OP doesnt make sense so I am clarifying.

But it seems like you just dont wish to engage but is having some other idea that is not relatable since you have not answered.

Well. Strange, but fine.

firedragon

Veteran Member
There are some Quran statements which seem irreconcilable with evolution and others which seem interpreted post hoc to justify evolution, but which could be read other ways.

So at least give some examples and your explanation please. Maybe at least you could answer this question because its based on one of your own statements.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Just give an honest answer what you wish to discuss. What is your purpose of the OP?
I gave you my honest answer, you seem to be assuming bad faith here.

You named it "from a Muslim perspective" but you did not give any idea what you wish to understand or discuss.
Not true, I quoted the perspective I wished to discuss in the OP, along with questions to go with it.

But it seems like you just dont wish to engage but is having some other idea that is not relatable since you have not answered.

Well. Strange, but fine.
I'm happy to engage but the thread is old enough that I have become entangled in other threads, so please be patient while I review how the thread turned out.