• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evil among us

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Weighing in as a non-Christian in this discussion:

Harm does not equal Evil.

I do not accept a cosmology or cosmogony that attributes existence and morals to a singular omnimax deity.

Regardless, what I have been suggesting in the other posts, since this isn't a debate forum, is that humans are in no wise able to tell what is or is not "God's truth."

We are limited, temporary beings. If you are a Christian, or of other theistic religion, you pretty much have to assume on faith that the words in a book written long ago is indeed God's Truth, and not just some other human telling you something is God's Truth, and you believing it on faith.
if you cross off harm...as a notation of evil
where do you draw the line?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
if you cross off harm...as a notation of evil
where do you draw the line?
That the notation of "evil" is at best relative to the interests of the one/s using the term. Are bacteria evil? They cause harm. Are earthquakes evil? They cause harm. and so on.

Are we limiting evil to the harm done to humans? Or by humans? Or just some humans?

Frankly, I'm expecting to see someone who believes that there is Good and Evil show a more operational definition than harm = evil.

Milton Platt

How can anyone know what is evil?

Only by knowledge of what is good. One cannot recognize evil unless one knows goodness.

One can only know good if one knows the truth. The truth can only come from God. Anyone, anywhere can know God. Religion can not give you God. That is a matter for the individual.

Therefore, any individual who does evil or abets evil (such as through voting a person of evil into power) does not know God. They may think they do, but their God would obviously not be the God who created all things, since He is perfect goodness and truth.

As a continuation, I will say that for a person who is involved in evil to have his evil set aside, that particular evil must come into the light. This does not mean acting on the evil, but recognizing it. That recognition must come from the person involved.

Evil and Good are merely terms we assign to events or actions based on how we view them as individuals and/or as a society. They are both highly subjective. We think something is good when it contributes to well-being. We think something is evil when it detracts from well being. I don't see why you have to be aware of killing as bad to know that not killing is good, for instance.

Akivah

Only by knowledge of what is good. One cannot recognize evil unless one knows goodness.

One can only know good if one knows the truth. The truth can only come from God. Anyone, anywhere can know God. Religion can not give you God. That is a matter for the individual.

Therefore, any individual who does evil or abets evil (such as through voting a person of evil into power) does not know God. They may think they do, but their God would obviously not be the God who created all things, since He is perfect goodness and truth.

As a continuation, I will say that for a person who is involved in evil to have his evil set aside, that particular evil must come into the light. This does not mean acting on the evil, but recognizing it. That recognition must come from the person involved.

Obviously Judaism has a completely different take on it.

G-d created each of us with the capacity to do evil. The Good is defined as our moral conscience, our inner voice, that lets you know what is right and in accordance with G-d's Laws. The Evil is defined as our selfish nature, our desire for personal benefit without regard to the moral consequences of those actions.

G-d created evil and it is part of His Creation. From the beginning, G-d created all humans with a capacity for both evil and good. Our selfish desire (i.e. a desire for personal needs) is not always a bad thing. It is only when our desires violate morality that it becomes an evil act.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
G-d created evil and it is part of His Creation. From the beginning, G-d created all humans with a capacity for both evil and good. Our selfish desire (i.e. a desire for personal needs) is not always a bad thing. It is only when our desires violate morality that it becomes an evil act.

Finally, an honest answer. None of this passing the blame to Adam & Eve or the serpent or Iblis or whoever. Thank you!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That the notation of "evil" is at best relative to the interests of the one/s using the term. Are bacteria evil? They cause harm. Are earthquakes evil? They cause harm. and so on.

Are we limiting evil to the harm done to humans? Or by humans? Or just some humans?

Frankly, I'm expecting to see someone who believes that there is Good and Evil show a more operational definition than harm = evil.
right and wrong.....the morality of an issue
correct or incorrect....answers to questions
good and bad.....the condition of an object

good and evil......the nature of a spirit

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
right and wrong.....the morality of an issue
correct or incorrect....answers to questions
good and bad.....the condition of an object

good and evil......the nature of a spirit
Uhhh...thank you for sharing, but you asked ME where I draw the line, not where YOU draw the line.

--right and wrong are ethical positions people assume, on the basis of their preferences regarding behavior patterns/attitudes, rules, or consequences
--correct or incorrect are judgments concerning facts, often but by no means always associated with questions
--good and bad, like right and wrong, are value judgments about conditions...again, not rooted in facts, but in preferences
--good and evil are just another way of saying right/wrong or good/bad, rooted in someone's preferences about the state of the world...

...TO ME.

I understand that your definitions and beliefs are different from mine. But "explaining" yours will not change mine.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Uhhh...thank you for sharing, but you asked ME where I draw the line, not where YOU draw the line.

--right and wrong are ethical positions people assume, on the basis of their preferences regarding behavior patterns/attitudes, rules, or consequences
--correct or incorrect are judgments concerning facts, often but by no means always associated with questions
--good and bad, like right and wrong, are value judgments about conditions...again, not rooted in facts, but in preferences
--good and evil are just another way of saying right/wrong or good/bad, rooted in someone's preferences about the state of the world...

...TO ME.

I understand that your definitions and beliefs are different from mine. But "explaining" yours will not change mine.
no...basically they are the same

except for the last item.....
the state of the world (Man)......is a notation of spirit

Faithofchristian

That's like asking, does anyone know what day light is ?
When it's evidence, there's a big difference between day light and darkness.

So in like manner, what's the difference between Good and evil, it's pretty obvious what the difference is.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
maybe you noticed......
all that were called.....come now....the feast is at hand

the good and the bad

and the one that was bound hand and foot......his offense?
only that he was not properly attired

and who else among them had time to fetch a better garment?

and I noticed.....all that knew the Master made excuses not to show....
maybe they knew Him.....all too well
Ok, I have round the mulberry bush (I read the posts). It seems that you need to step outside of the cycle of good and evil in order to know God.

Jeremiah Ames

That's like asking, does anyone know what day light is ?
When it's evidence, there's a big difference between day light and darkness.

So in like manner, what's the difference between Good and evil, it's pretty obvious what the difference is.
With all due respect, that’s the lamest answer possible.
You do realize that Cain had no idea he was doing anything wrong when he killed Abel?

Faithofchristian

With all due respect, that’s the lamest answer possible.
You do realize that Cain had no idea he was doing anything wrong when he killed Abel?

Thats the lamest answer that you can give, Cain knew exactly what he did was wrong, When Cain was ask, Where is Able your brother, and Cain said, my punishment is greater than I can bear.

But then Cain is not what the Thread is about, The question that was ask, is how to know evil ?
Well all a person has to do is know the difference between what is good and what is evil.
Maybe for you that might be difficult.