• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence that Jesus was the Messiah

jewscout

Religious Zionist
http://www.aish.com/jewishissues/jewishsociety/Why_Jews_Dont_Believe_In_Jesus.asp
According to Jewish sources, the Messiah will be born of human parents and possess normal physical attributes like other people. He will not be a demi-god, (1) nor will he possess supernatural qualities.
The Messiah must be descended on his father's side from King David (see Genesis 49:10, Isaiah 11:1, Jeremiah 23:5, 33:17; Ezekiel 34:23-24). According to the Christian claim that Jesus was the product of a virgin birth, he had no father -- and thus could not have possibly fulfilled the messianic requirement of being descended on his father's side from King David. (2)
This combined with 2 Samuel shows that it must be from his father's side

http://www.jewsforjudaism.com/jews-jesus/jews-jesus-index.html

He must be a direct male descendant of King David and King Solomon, his son-"And when your days are fulfilled, and you shall sleep with your fathers, I will set up your seed after you, who shall issue from your bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my name, and i will make firm the throne of his kingdom forever..." (2 Samuel 7:12-13)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
It has been said that in every generation, a person is born with the potential to be the moshiach. If the time is right for the messianic age within that person's lifetime, then that person will be the moshiach. But if that person dies before he completes the mission of the moshiach, then that person is not the moshiach.
http://www.jewfaq.org/moshiach.htm

linwood

NetDoc said:
Rising from the dead was the great giveaway for me. :D
Many other rose from the dead as well.
In fact it seems to have been a regular occurance back then.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
linwood said:
Many other rose from the dead as well.
In fact it seems to have been a regular occurance back then.
Yes it was called slipping into a coma...that happened alot...people thought that someone was dead when they were actually in a coma and would wake up buried alive. Flooding in Europe has caused some old cemeteries to lose coffins and when they would break open sometimes you would find claw marks inside the coffin...where people tried to get out when they woke up.:eek:

jewscout

Religious Zionist
nah HelpMe i'm not saying that at all...it's just not surprising that we both post info from sites that are addressing the same question with different answers that happen to support our claims.

HelpMe

·´sociopathic meanderer`·
the scriptures are more important than any statement concerning the topic regardless of who made it.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Agreed the scriptures are important but i think it is equally important to discuss the meanings behind the words, especially since much as been lost through some 3000 years of constant retranslation of the text.

Domenic

I have read this whole thread. No one even asked, "Did Jesus have any record out-side of the bible?" There are records. For many years Joseph was not even know. But this man Jesus...the Jew's call him a fairy tail. What Jesus real? Was he listed as the founding father of the false religion, Christianity? Can Jesus be proven true outside the bible?
I believe we as Christians we should first prove he was real?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I have read this whole thread. No one even asked, "Did Jesus have any record out-side of the bible?" There are records. For many years Joseph was not even know. But this man Jesus...the Jew's call him a fairy tail. What Jesus real? Was he listed as the founding father of the false religion, Christianity? Can Jesus be proven true outside the bible?
I believe we as Christians we should first prove he was real?

You can't ''prove'' many things. Perhaps start with trying to prove that an deity that cannot or will not have a form, is ''real''. Then, perhaps, you could try to prove that Jesus is real.

Ben Avraham

That is an interesting question Jewscout for two reasons:

1) We don't know if humanity needs a messiah at all until after the fact
2) We don't know who this messiah will be until after the fact.

Everything before that is predictions and theories. Not that there is anything terrible about that but certainty is not a luxary afforded in this case since the instance is future tense.

Well, if you read Prophet Habakkuk 3:13, "HaShem goes forth to save His People; to save His Anointed One." That's what Messiah is, the Anointed One of the Lord aka Israel, the Son of God. (Exodus 4:22,23)
The Messiah cannot be an individual; the individual is born, lives his span of life and dies. Are we supposed to have a new Messiah in every generation? Obviously not! The Messiah is not supposed to die but
to remain as a People before the Lord forever. (Jeremiah 31:35-37) I agree that Jesus was part of the Messiah as long as he lived because he was a Jew.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
)
The Messiah cannot be an individual; the individual is born, lives his span of life and dies. Are we supposed to have a new Messiah in every generation? Obviously not! The Messiah is not supposed to die but
to remain as a People before the Lord forever. (Jeremiah 31:35-37) I agree that Jesus was part of the Messiah as long as he lived because he was a Jew.

Have we danced before?

Ben Avraham

Have we danced before?

I don't think so but, probably you have met another Jew with the same view of the collective concept of Messiah. Would you say it does not make sense? I, for one, have lost hope in the individual Messiah that exists only in the
minds of people perhaps because it does not make any sense at all.

Hawkins

I'm just curious on what grounds do people believe Jesus was the Messiah? When i say Messiah i'm talking about the Jewish Messiah and the role he is supposed to play in the Jewish tradition of the coming Messianic Era.

.....................and go!

What Jewish tradition?

Most original Jewish concepts were lost as a result of the AD 70 siege. Today's Judaism is a revival after AD 200 started by a group of un-legitimate rabbis, as the legitimate authorities such as the Sanhedrin, Sadducees, especially Pharisees were all gone after the siege.

Ben Avraham

I'm just curious on what grounds do people believe Jesus was the Messiah? When i say Messiah i'm talking about the Jewish Messiah and the role he is supposed to play in the Jewish tradition of the coming Messianic Era.
.....................and go!

If you are indeed talking about the Jewish Messiah, read Habakkuk 3:13. "The Lord goes forth to save His People; to save His Anointed One." That's what Messiah is, the Anointed One of the Lord aka Israel the Son of God if you read Exodus 4:22,23. Now, regarding Jesus, as long as he was alive, he was also son of God but as part of Israel, the Jewish People. The point is that the Messiah cannot be an individual; the individual is born, lives his span of life and dies. Are we supposed to expect a new Messiah in every generation? Obviously not! The Messiah is not supposed to die but to remain as a People before the Lord forever if you read Jeremiah 31:35-37.

Ben Avraham

There are two genealogies of Jesus in the New Testament...one which shows him as a descendant of Nathan, and one that shows him of Solomon. But even the one that uses Solomon, as is required, fails to meet the criteria because Jesus is not a blood descendant of Joseph.

So, whom was Jesus a blood descendant from if not Joseph? Are you ready to fall in that trap? If you are, you might fall in the trap of John 8:41 that Jesus was born out of rape. According to Josephus, thousands of Jewish babies were born in the First Century out of rape.

Ben Avraham

I don't see how Jesus is a descendant of David. Joseph wasn't really his father, therefore I don't see the connection.

The messiah must come from the bowels of a descendant of David. If you take "from the bowels" as meaning "biological," as I do, then the lineage fails.

If Joseph was not Jesus' biological father who was? Christians claim God Himself but they ought to be aware that there is nothing biological about God. Therefore, all those who deny the biological affiliation of Jesus to Joseph,
become candidates of the view in John 8:41 that Jesus was born out of rape by the Romans soldiers in Israel.

Ben Avraham

I think that their reasoning goes something like this...

1) Jesus is the messiah. (they are christian so it stands that this MUST be true)
2) Jesus was a jew
3) if that isn't enough the bible says so.

so therefore Jesus MUST have been the jewish messiah. I mean how can you question such an obvious thing. ;)

wa:do

The Jewish Messiah cannot be an individual. The individual is born, lives his span of life and dies. Are we supposed to expect a new Messiah in every generation? Obviously not. The Messiah is not supposed to die but to remain
as a People before the Lord forever. (Jeremiah 31:35-37)