• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence that Jesus was the Messiah

Ben Avraham

Matthew's genealogy also breaks with tradition in that he skips names. He traces the line of Joseph, the step-father of Jesus, by going back into history and working toward his own time. He starts tracing the line with Abraham (verse 2) and continues to David (verse 6). Out of David's many sons, Solomon is chosen (verse 6), and the line is then traced to King Jeconiah (verse 11), one of the last kings before the Babylonian captivity. From Jeconiah (verse 12), the line is traced to Joseph (verse 16). Joseph was a direct descendant of David through Solomon, but also through Jeconiah. The "Jeconiah link" is significant in Matthew's genealogy because of the special curse pronounced on Jeconiah in Jeremiah 22:24-30:
As I live," declares the LORD,
"even though Jeconiah the son of Jehoiakim
king of Judah were a signet ring on my right
hand, yet I would pull you off...
"Is this man Jeconiah a despised, shattered jar?
Or is he an undesirable vessel?
Why have he and his descendants been hurled out
and cast into a land that they had not known?
"O land, land, land, Hear the word of the LORD!!
"Thus says the LORD, 'Write this man [Jeconiah] down childless,
A man who will not prosper in his days;
For no man of his descendants will prosper
Sitting on the throne of David, Or ruling again in Judah.'​
No descendant of Jeconiah would have the right to the throne of David. Until Jeremiah, the first requirement for messianic lineage was to be of the house of David. With Jeremiah, it was limited still further. Now one had to be not only of the house of David, but apart from Jeconiah.

According to Matthew's genealogy, Joseph had the blood of Jeconiah in his veins. He was not qualified to sit on David's throne. He was not the heir apparent. This would also mean that no real son of Joseph would have the right to claim the throne of David. Therefore if Jesus were the real son of Joseph, he would have been disqualified from sitting on David's throne. Neither could he claim the right to David's throne by virtue of his adoption by Joseph, since Joseph was not the heir apparent.

The purpose of Matthew's genealogy, then, is to show why Y'shua could not be king if he were really Joseph's son. The purpose was not to show the royal line. For this reason, Matthew starts his Gospel with the genealogy, presents the Jeconiah problem, and then proceeds with the account of the virgin birth which, from Matthew's viewpoint, is the solution to the Jeconiah problem. In summary, Matthew deduces that if Jesus were really Joseph's son, he could not claim to sit on David's throne because of the Jeconiah curse; but Jesus was not Joseph's son, for he was born of the virgin Miriam (Matthew 1:18-25).

http://www.jewsforjesus.org/library/issues/05-06/genealogy.htm

What did you say above! That Joseph was the stepfather of Jesus! By saying such a thing, you declared that Jesus could not have been the Messiah. Why? Because Jesus was a Jew and, according to Jewish law, Tribal inheritance comes down only through the biological father. Since Joseph was the one from the Tribe of Judah, Jesus lost the chance to be from the Tribe of Judah if he was not a biological son of Joseph. He had to be a biological son of Joseph for being Jewish and not Greek. To say that he was a son of God without a biological father is to promote the Greek doctrine of the demigod which is the son of a god with an earthly woman as we have in Mat. 1:18.

Ben Avraham

Messiah means anointed. The king was anointed with oil. Oil is symbolic of the Holy Spirit. Jesus was anointed by the Spirit in the river Jordan. The kiasm in Daniel 9 has the prophecy of Jesus coming as the Anointed One. He was to come 483 years after Artaxerxes decree to REBUILD AND RESTORE Jerusalem in 457 B.C. You can find the decree in Ezra 7:12-26. If you do the math it takes us to 27 A.D, the year Jesus was anointed. He is our King and High Priest and will be forever. It said in the last week of the prophecy he would be cut off and have nothing (crucified). He then gave the Jewish people one last chance to accept him as God-the final three years of the prophecy. As we know the sanhedrin stoned Stephen in 34, cementing their fate This has nothing to do with the nation of Israel. As Paul said: ROMANS 9 : 6 "It is not as though God's word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. It was not a bloodline but a character. Jacob pleaded with God saying, he could do nothing on his own. In others words saying take away my freewill, I want to depend entirely on you. There are many things to come in the future regarding Israel, but it has nothing to do with literal Jews.

Indeed! Messiah means anointed all right. Now, if you read Habakkuk 3:13, "The Lord goes forth to save His People; to save His Anointed One." That's what Messiah is, the Anointed One of the Lord aka Israel, the Son of God if you read Exodus 4:22,23. The Messiah cannot be an individual; the individual is born, lives his span of life and dies. Are we to expect a new Messiah in every generation? Obviously not! The Messiah is not supposed to die but to remain as a People before the Lord forever. (Jeremiah 31:35-37)

Ben Avraham

He must not only come from David but also specifically from Solomon. Joseph's lineage goes to Solomon's brother not Solomon himself.

And Solomon was the son of David. The real point is not to be the son of solomon or of David but to be from the Tribe of Judah and Jesus according to Christianity, was not.

Ben Avraham

2 Samuel 7:12 - 16-...I will set up thy seed after thee, that shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever. I will be his father, and he shall be my son: if he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men; but my lovingkindness shall not depart from him...And thy house and thy kingdom shall be made sure for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever. how many people remain that can be traced back to david?the man seems to have an eternal kingdom now no?why wasn't he the jewish messiah? i do suppose you've encountered jewsforjesus right. not that i agree with everything they say, but there are alot of questions you might ask posed there.

The Kingdom promised to David to remain as a Lamp before the Lord in Jerusalem forever, according to I Kings 11:36 was the Kingdom of Judah if you read Ezekiel 37:22. That's what remains today as one People, under one single Government under the name of Israel aka the Jewish People.

Ben Avraham

I think that their reasoning goes something like this...

1) Jesus is the messiah. (they are christian so it stands that this MUST be true)
2) Jesus was a jew
3) if that isn't enough the bible says so.

so therefore Jesus MUST have been the jewish messiah. I mean how can you question such an obvious thing. ;)

wa:do

For another reason, Jesus could not have been the Messiah as an individual. The individual is born, lives his span of life and dies. Are we to expect a new Messiah in every generation? Obviously not! The Messiah is not supposed to die but to remain as a People before the Lord forever if you read Jeremiah 31:35-37.

Ben Avraham

Rising from the dead was the great giveaway for me. However, the New Testament is always referring to the prophecies he fulfilled.

Rising from the dead involves a return from the grave. According to God's Word in the Tanach, once dead, no one will ever return from the grave if you read II Samuel 12:23; Psalm 49:12,20; Isaiah 26:14; Job 7:9; etc.

COLOSSIANS 1 : 15 "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of creation."
COLOSSIANS 1 : 18 "And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he may have supremacy."

Jesus said you had to be born again. You had to die to the ideas of mankind to what God was like. The Jews thought he was a legalistic tyrant. You have to die to that thought and be reborn with the knowledge of the true character of God. The nation of Israel was supposed to have done that but they broke their covenant with God. To fulfill what God said would happen, Jesus came as Israel. He retraced the footsteps of the Jews, but kept the covenant in their place. I know that you being Jewish can't understand that, but you will after the destruction of the earth. The Jews requested this of God and he has obliged you.

DEUTERONOMY 18 : 16 "Let us not hear the voice of the Lord our God nor see this great fire anymore or we will die."

ISAIAH 6 : 9-12 "He said, 'Go and tell this people; 'Be ever hearing, but never understanding; be ever seeing, but never perceiving.' Make the heart of the people calloused; make their ears dull and close their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed.' Then I said, 'For how long, O Lord?' And he answered: Until the cities lie ruined and without inhabitant, until the houses are left deserted and the fields ruined and ravaged, until the Lord has sent everyone far away and the land is utterly forsaken."

God has simply given you what your forefathers asked for. You'll understand after the destruction of the earth, hopefully at the second coming, if not after the 1000 year rest.

Ben Avraham

COLOSSIANS 1 : 15 "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of creation." COLOSSIANS 1 : 18 "And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he may have supremacy." Jesus said you had to be born again. You had to die to the ideas of mankind to what God was like. The Jews thought he was a legalistic tyrant. You have to die to that thought and be reborn with the knowledge of the true character of God. The nation of Israel was supposed to have done that but they broke their covenant with God. To fulfill what God said would happen, Jesus came as Israel. He retraced the footsteps of the Jews, but kept the covenant in their place. I know that you being Jewish can't understand that, but you will after the destruction of the earth. The Jews requested this of God and he has obliged you.

DEUTERONOMY 18 : 16 "Let us not hear the voice of the Lord our God nor see this great fire anymore or we will die." ISAIAH 6 : 9-12 "He said, 'Go and tell this people; 'Be ever hearing, but never understanding; be ever seeing, but never perceiving.' Make the heart of the people calloused; make their ears dull and close their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed.' Then I said, 'For how long, O Lord?' And he answered: Until the cities lie ruined and without inhabitant, until the houses are left deserted and the fields ruined and ravaged, until the Lord has sent everyone far away and the land is utterly forsaken." God has simply given you what your forefathers asked for. You'll understand after the destruction of the earth, hopefully at the second coming, if not after the 1000 year rest.

To be the image of the Invisible God is a paradox. If God is invisible, how can one speak of His image? For someone to exhibit an image, it must be visible.

MJFlores

I'm just curious on what grounds do people believe Jesus was the Messiah? When i say Messiah i'm talking about the Jewish Messiah and the role he is supposed to play in the Jewish tradition of the coming Messianic Era.

.....................and go!

The grounds are as follows:
  • Messiah was to be born at Bethlehem: Micah 5:2 (Micah 5:1 in Hebrew Bible)
  • Messiah would be from the tribe of Judah: Genesis 49:10
  • Messiah would present himself by riding on an ***: Zechariah 9:9
  • Messiah would be tortured to death: Psalm 22:1-31
  • Messiah would arrive before the destruction of the Second Temple: Daniel 9:24-27
  • Messiah’s life would match a particular description, including suffering, silence at his arrest and trial, death and burial in a rich man’s tomb, and resurrection: Isaiah 52:13-53:12
My Lord Jesus is according to the apostles:

but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 1 Corinthians 1:23

When the Lord Jesus Christ returns, there will be no more
  • Rosh Chodesh—The New Month.
  • Rosh Hashanah—The Jewish New Year.
  • Selichot.
  • Rosh Hashanah. ...
  • Tzom Gedalia—Fast of Gedalia.
  • Yom Kippur—Day of Atonement.
  • Sukkot—Feast of Booths (or Tabernacles)
  • Shemini Atzeret and Simchat Torah.
  • Hanukkah—Festival of Lights.
upload_2017-4-25_8-54-18.jpeg