• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence that God does not exist

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Fade said:
I would have to disagree. Chi isn't something I consider natural.
Well, I guess I will have to stop my perception then. Strangely I thought I had been observing a natural phenomenah for the last thirty years. Thank you for making me aware that I am perceiving an illusion, sorry something that is not "natural".

Jayhawker Soule said:
I somehow missed the "Evidence that God does not exist", perhaps because you've presented none.
I did, but I didn't emphasize it properly. I said, "The naturalistic philosophy of science has gone so far in making sense of the universe that there is very little any need for extraordinary explanations such as God." It follows that God and all other magic is extremely unlikely.

Solon said:
Evidence ? LOL, evidence of a non-exsitant God would be hard to find.

S
I think the evidence for a non-existent God is equivalent in magnitude to the evidence behind the popular Santa Claus. Santa Claus can be examined in myth, and God can be examined in religion.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
ApostateAbe said:
I did, but I didn't emphasize it properly. I said, "The naturalistic philosophy of science has gone so far in making sense of the universe that there is very little any need for extraordinary explanations such as God." It follows that God and all other magic is extremely unlikely.
That still is not "Evidence that God does not exist", It might be indications of the likelyhood that God does not exist, but that is all.

Halcyon said:
ApostateAbe, clever name :)

You do realise don't you that your argument only applies to one view of God, the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God, YHWH.

This is where you go wrong;
It's simply not true. Wicca and other pagan religions, Hinduism, Jainism, Zoroastrianism, Taoism and my own path - modern Gnosticism, hold beliefs in Deity not constricted by the 'evidence' you use to disprove God.

Abrahamic monotheism does not hold the monopoly on God.

I do agree with most of the 'evidence' you give. However, i would think it unwise for you to assume that just because the Abrahamic version of God is, for you, unlikely to exist, that it means all views of God are therefore equally unlikely.
My apologies. I meant the Judeo-Christian God.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
ApostateAbe said:
Really? How would you go about determining likelihood? While I sympathize with your position, it is nevertheless true that rendering an explanation unnecessary is not the same as proving it false.

michel said:
That still is not "Evidence that God does not exist", It might be indications of the likelyhood that God does not exist, but that is all.
The magnitude of the evidence is subjective. To me, it is conclusive, but it may not be enough for others.

Beck63Don

Think Bright said:
There ain't no soul cept in music. Maybe your soul is just cause ya ain't Bright.
You just think your bright. In reality, you're just a dim bulb. I know there's a soul because I've felt them. If you haven't, then you'll just have to take my word for it. Some of us know more than others.

Jayhawker Soule said:
Really? How would you go about determining likelihood? While I sympathize with your position, it is nevertheless true that rendering an explanation unnecessary is not the same as proving it false.
The magnitude of evidence is largely subjective. And I am not trying to prove anything false. When God appears to be the product of human imagination as much as it does, AND any explanation of God for nature is frivolous, it follows, at least in my mind, and it should also follow in reasonable minds, that it is unlikely that God exists.

Lady Moon said:
You just think your bright. In reality, you're just a dim bulb. I know there's a soul because I've felt them. If you haven't, then you'll just have to take my word for it. Some of us know more than others.
Oh yeah I'm dim. Ain't that the way kids do It. It's called projection. But what would ya expect from a ditzy pagan I bet you're even blonde!

You ain't showed a soul yet

Jayhawker Soule said:
You start a thread titled: "Evidence that God does not exist" and then assert "I am not trying to prove anything false". OK
That's right. Proof is not the same as evidence. Proof is often understood to mean absolutely correct, and that is the definition I use.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
ApostateAbe said:
...it is unlikely that God exists.
HonestAbe, I agree. It IS rather unlikely that god, as that concept is currently concieved, exists, at all. No one can prove 100%, subject to validation, that GOD exists. If any single person could, past or present, we would not be having the discussion now would we? That is the simple reality of the question.

The religious folks do not like to entertain this idea.

My vision of god is quite entertained, then again, She is used to being a "nobody". He told me once that, "it ain't easy being minimized to the point of non-existence." Somehow, my heart just went out to Her for that one. And yet, IT does not seem to really care all that much.

Strange really.
Guess it is learned behavior. :banghead3

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Master Vigil said:
You realize that that concept doesn't exist in chinese culture except for in film and myth?
Why yes, just like...

ESP
Psychics
Palmreading
Reincarnation
Ghosts
Curses
Charms
Santa Claus
Fairies
Sorcery

that is kinda the point, don't ya think?

Fade

The Great Master Bates
YmirGF said:
Well, I guess I will have to stop my perception then. Strangely I thought I had been observing a natural phenomenah for the last thirty years. Thank you for making me aware that I am perceiving an illusion, sorry something that is not "natural".
What did you observe? No seriously...what exactly were you perceiving? Which sense did you perceive it with?
Could you point me in the direction of some material discussing Chi as a natural phenomenon?

Master Vigil

I don't think that is the point. Because even for taoists and chinese culture. They realize that the mythical chi concept you are speaking of doesn't exist. So your original question has no need to include it.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Master Vigil said:
I don't think that is the point. Because even for taoists and chinese culture. They realize that the mythical chi concept you are speaking of doesn't exist. So your original question has no need to include it.
Can you prove that Chi exists? Scientifically?
Does Chi exist outside of Taoist/Chinese philosophy?