• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence of the Non-Physical

InvestigateTruth

What is your evidence of the existence of the non-physical?

Physical:
2a: having material existence : perceptible especially through the senses and subject to the laws of nature
everything physical is measurable by weight, motion, and resistance
— Thomas De Quincey
b: of or relating to material things

As a "materialist", evidence requires some physicality. If it is not physical, it is not usable to justify belief.

Is that position wrong?
Kindness is not physical but exist.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Kindness is not physical but exist.

What part of kindness is not physical?
A hug, a sharing of a burden, these are physical actions.
The feeling you get from helping, is the release of specific chemicals into your brain.
An act of kindness denotes action. An action given or received.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, to me love is easily explainable as a physical process. I understand some would prefer this to remain a mystery.

All emotions are cause by a release of chemicals. Listening to music can trigger a pleasant emotional/release of these chemicals.
It is all a physical and the more neuroscience investigates the mind the more we understand how this physical process works.

If you want magic however, it's best not to look behind the curtain.

Like I said, a piano tuner explaining Tchaikovsky. You can be completely 'right' technically, and yet that worldview is limiting...and potentially troubling, honestly. When we convince we understand something because we can reduce it to it's component parts (only), I think we're kidding ourselves.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What is your evidence of the existence of the non-physical?

Physical:
2a: having material existence : perceptible especially through the senses and subject to the laws of nature
everything physical is measurable by weight, motion, and resistance
— Thomas De Quincey
b: of or relating to material things

As a "materialist", evidence requires some physicality. If it is not physical, it is not usable to justify belief.

Is that position wrong?
Nope not worth at all. Can't evidence what isn't there.

Even empty space requires physicality.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Like I said, a piano tuner explaining Tchaikovsky. You can be completely 'right' technically, and yet that worldview is limiting...and potentially troubling, honestly. When we convince we understand something because we can reduce it to it's component parts (only), I think we're kidding ourselves.
Troubling? If my partner seriously thought I had this "understanding" I'd be looking for new accommodation.

InvestigateTruth

What part of kindness is not physical?
A hug, a sharing of a burden, these are physical actions.
The feeling you get from helping, is the release of specific chemicals into your brain.
An act of kindness denotes action. An action given or received.
I mean, you can touch physical things, or sense them physically. But you cannot take love, kindness in your hand and say this is love, this is kindness. They are non materialistic qualities, which are manifested in a person to act or do something kind toward others.
There is no chemical in the brain that is responsible for kindness.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I mean, you can touch physical things, or sense them physically. But you cannot take love, kindness in your hand and say this is love, this is kindness. They are non materialistic qualities, which are manifested in a person to act or do something kind toward others.
There is no chemical in the brain that is responsible for kindness.

Actually there is a list of chemical that create our feelings. Such that having a chemical imbalance can cause us serious problems.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/chemical-imbalance-5191365

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, one way or the other...

Heh. Okay. Well...you asked what I meant by 'limiting'. To be honest, you seem overly focused on 'right' or 'wrong'. I'm not arguing that your position is 'wrong', nor unscientific. If that doesn't make sense, we're probably talking past each other at this point.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Heh. Okay. Well...you asked what I meant by 'limiting'. To be honest, you seem overly focused on 'right' or 'wrong'. I'm not arguing that your position is 'wrong', nor unscientific. If that doesn't make sense, we're probably talking past each other at this point.

Yes sorry, sometimes I get in a rut when posting.

DNB

Christian
A man smokes a cigarette because this action releases a chemical concoction in the brain which they consciously desire. We chase what triggers these chemical highs because it makes us feel good. When these chemicals are absent, we want to recreate whatever triggered them in the first place. Humans are emotional junkies looking for their next fix. I don't see humans as less of anything. We are simply more complex in the things that drive us. We are at war with our own idealism. Believing that we should be something more that what we are. You cannot win that war believing you should be something other than what you are. Peace come with understanding what we are and accepting it.
Then, you just expressed the irrationality of man - emotions override sensibilities. The highest intellect, has the lowest rationality.

DNB

Christian
Or...just putting it out there...humans are not so different from any other animal. We have a range of often competing drives, most of which we are better in analysing in others than ourselves.

If I'm hungry, I eat. Simple, right?

But is it the most nutritious food? Is it the tastiest? The quickest to access? The one with no animal products? The one recently advertised during a tv show I was watching? The one currently running a promotion meaning I could win a car?

And if I'm in a group, even just a pair, now there are complex negotiations at play. Who is dominant? Who is fussy? Who chose last time? Who is paying? Who is cooking? Who's going to pick it up? What about dishes? Who has to clean up?

Meh...you get the idea. Human interactions are complex in myriad ways. Reducing them to a battle between external binary forces isn't required for us to move from an 'intelligent' position to a more confused one. A mere nod to the complexity inherent in our existence...largely CAUSED by our intelligence...is enough.
it's not complex, you're trying to maker it so in order to extenuate, or deny the obvious - man's spiritual demons override his intellect. Countless people have overcome the obstacles that you spoke of, meaning, their rationality and strength of character overruled their impulses. These are the few, but just to show where the problem lies.
There is a spiritual warfare at hand, and the devil is winning here on earth.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
it's not complex, you're trying to maker it so in order to extenuate, or deny the obvious - man's spiritual demons override his intellect.

Is that why advertising companies regularly employ tactics based around the topics I've mentioned and less commonly appeal to demons to get people at the drive-thru?

Countless people have overcome the obstacles that you spoke of, meaning, their rationality and strength of character overruled their impulses. These are the few, but just to show where the problem lies.

Which speaks to nothing supernatural.

There is a spiritual warfare at hand, and the devil is winning here on earth.

Then I daresay an omnipotent God, which I'm assuming you believe in, wants it that way.

DNB

Christian
Is that why advertising companies regularly employ tactics based around the topics I've mentioned and less commonly appeal to demons to get people at the drive-thru?
Sorry, you have your definitions mixed up - what you spoke is designed to appeal to man's weaknesses (demons). The ad companies know exactly where the consumer's Achilles heel is, and the public succumb every time despite their better judgement.

Which speaks to nothing supernatural.
I never said otherwise. Do you not understand what spiritual means?

Then I daresay an omnipotent God, which I'm assuming you believe in, wants it that way.
Are you replying to a different thread right now?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, you have your definitions mixed up - what you spoke is designed to appeal to man's weaknesses (demons). The ad companies know exactly where the consumer's Achilles heel is, and the public succumb every time despite their better judgement.

They use psychology for this. An understanding of drives and motivations. Man's weaknesses are not demons. They are man.

I never said otherwise. Do you not understand what spiritual means?

Are you suggesting spiritual is a description of the mundane in your terms?

Are you replying to a different thread right now?

If you believe in an omnipotent God...and I'm only assuming you do...everything here exists by His desire.

DNB

Christian
They use psychology for this. An understanding of drives and motivations. Man's weaknesses are not demons. They are man.

If you believe in an omnipotent God...and I'm only assuming you do...everything here exists by His desire.
God is sovereign, yes, but that doesn't mean that He desires certain or specific outcomes, as opposed to Him allowing us to learn from mistakes. Parents who intervene constantly on their children's actions, will create nothing but dependent and helpless offspring. A Parent must let children fall to some degree, in order to build them up.

Man's spirit transcends the flesh, and dictates his action more than his brain. The evidence is axiomatic. Your understanding of psychology, this pseudo science, does not address the issue, or penetrate to the catalyst behind man's behaviour. Jealousy, greed, avarice, lasciviousness, arrogance, hate, etc cannot be quantified or psycho-analyzed. The spirit knows things that the flesh is unaware of.

rational experiences

Veteran Member

If you say desire then you claim he and him and his and motivation. Man's. Humans.

Then as he said a human is a woman he says I am as much to blame by man saying hu man saying hu man and then wo man. Man man man man. His thought feedback.

How females got blamed for your space womb Phi maths model obviously.

What is your self destructive scientific psyche man's desire?

To destroy what God had created.

So you ask is God real.

O one God is no man's instruction. O planet formed in space.

Space he says physically is a flat empty plane removed of its physicalities but inherited a new form.

So he says created form then created space the plane.

Always knew.

He said O mass burning holding cooling came from a pre sheet of just one eternal mass that rolled into balls held and removed back in burning O holding to nothing space.

We all know that's created space is witnessed by man's science experiments that leaves a spatial hole yet a remainder body surrounding the hole owns the whole.

So he says material is real.

Why he says I know the eternal gave itself a space womb and it still exists.

Says as earths cold zero flat space plane filled water oxygen filled in the empty plane.

So he says the heavens as a preaching never owned form. Nor was it god. Physically a God of no form ever.

As o God's were the material zero plane just mass. Cooled by space an explanation. As he talks by desire to theory.

How he once taught science as just a human.

Father also said today when you build particular machines for design technology then want to use said machines as weapons by theory you were told technology will get destroyed.

As it was not built for weaponry.

But you don't listen to father as he was never the satanist.....The theist scientist yet you were a man.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
God is sovereign, yes, but that doesn't mean that He desires certain or specific outcomes, as opposed to Him allowing us to learn from mistakes. Parents who intervene constantly on their children's actions, will create nothing but dependent and helpless offspring. A Parent must let children fall to some degree, in order to build them up.

Man's spirit transcends the flesh, and dictates his action more than his brain. The evidence is axiomatic. Your understanding of psychology, this pseudo science, does not address the issue, or penetrate to the catalyst behind man's behaviour. Jealousy, greed, avarice, lasciviousness, arrogance, hate, etc cannot be quantified or psycho-analyzed. The spirit knows things that the flesh is unaware of.
And if men claim God built the form man. Yet you want God to be a machine reacted resource that is a psyche self destructive personality who says he wants human life destroyed to have God resourced converted.

So the same man scientist has to argue in science claiming there is no God to try to consciously save us.

RestlessSoul

Actually there is a list of chemical that create our feelings. Such that having a chemical imbalance can cause us serious problems.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/chemical-imbalance-5191365

Smoke does not create fire.

Do chemicals create feelings, or do emotions cause chemicals to be released?

Similarly, you’re brain releases hear when you think. But presumably it’s the act of thinking that creates the heat, and not the other way round.