• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence of Homo Sapiens on earth

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Yeah, we don't need any eyewitnesses at all since we have all of this technology.
Might as well rewrite all of the investigation books, we can simply throw all eyewitness testimony out since it is all so unreliable. :facepalm:
Eyewitness testimony is often unreliable - this is a well known phenomenon. Memories aren't just an objective snapshot of some event that a person has witnessed. Memories of events are filtered through our own perceptions, biases and feelings at the time (and afterward). The freaky part is, it's not all that difficult to create false memories in a person's mind, either intentionally or unintentionally.

"Many researchers have created false memories in normal individuals; what is more, many of these subjects are certain that the memories are real. In one well-known study, Loftus and her colleague Jacqueline Pickrell gave subjects written accounts of four events, three of which they had actually experienced. The fourth story was fiction; it centered on the subject being lost in a mall or another public place when he or she was between four and six years old. A relative provided realistic details for the false story, such as a description of the mall at which the subject’s parents shopped. After reading each story, subjects were asked to write down what else they remembered about the incident or to indicate that they did not remember it at all. Remarkably about one third of the subjects reported partially or fully remembering the false event. In two follow-up interviews, 25 percent still claimed that they remembered the untrue story, a figure consistent with the findings of similar studies."
Why Science Tells Us Not to Rely on Eyewitness Accounts

"Experiments conducted by Barbara Tversky and Elizabeth Marsh corroborate the vulnerability of human memory to bias.7 In one group of studies, participants were given the "Roommate Story," a description of incidents involving his or her two fictitious roommates. The incidents were categorized as annoying, neutral, or socially "cool." Later, participants were asked to neutrally recount the incidents with one roommate, to write a letter of recommendation for one roommate’s application to a fraternity or sorority, or to write a letter to the office of student housing requesting the removal of one of the roommates. When later asked to recount the original story, participants who had written biased letters recalled more of the annoying or "cool" incidents associated with their letters. They also included more elaborations consistent with their bias. These participants made judgements based upon the annoying or social events they discussed in their letters. Neutral participants made few elaborations, and they also made fewer errors in their retelling, such as attributing events to the wrong roommate. The study also showed that participants writing biased letters recalled more biased information for the character they wrote about, whereas the other roommate was viewed neutrally.

Memory is affected by retelling, and we rarely tell a story in a neutral fashion. By tailoring our stories to our listeners, our bias distorts the very formation of memory—even without the introduction of misinformation by a third party. The protections of the judicial system against prosecutors and police "assisting" a witness’ memory may not sufficiently ensure the accuracy of those memories. Even though prosecutors refrain from "refreshing" witness A’s memory by showing her witness B’s testimony, the mere act of telling prosecutors what happened may bias and distort the witness’s memory. Eyewitness testimony, then, is innately suspect."

https://agora.stanford.edu/sjls/Issue One/fisher&tversky.htm

"As Loftus puts it, "just because someone says something confidently doesn't mean it's true." Jurors can't help but find an eyewitness’s confidence compelling, even though experiments have shown that a person's confidence in their own memory is sometimes undiminished even in the face of evidence that their memory of an event is false.

The procedures of a criminal investigation can even distort eyewitness recall. The classic example is the lineup: The witness is asked to pick out the perpetrator from a group of similar-looking people. But the police detectives who organize the lineup are usually the same ones who have identified or caught the prime suspect, making them invested in the eyewitness selecting their choice. "They can't help but drop little cues," Loftus says. A detective might smile, grunt, or nod approvingly when a suspect is chosen. "Witnesses pick up on it." More insidiously, police interrogators can unconsciously coach people into having false memories, a problem revealed in the 1990s in research by Loftus and others."
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/10/how-reliable-eyewitness-testimony-scientists-weigh

Weirdly enough, my sister and I just realized the other day that we have most likely been perpetuating a false memory we both seemed to share from our childhood that we realized we cannot corroborate in any way. And that's a shared memory (or so we thought ;) ).

Last edited:

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Funny thing is, you do not have a clue what you are writing about. I know people like you totally ignore the fact that I say up front that my views are a belief and I would never try to prove them with science. OTOH, the supernatural deniers insist their views are science but they cannot answer questions and provide empirical evidence for their answers. IOW, they have their own belief system.
I'm not sure if you've been ignoring my posts, but that's exactly how I've been describing your threads. They're all the same basic theme, where you point to a gap in our scientific knowledge, and claim that because no hypothesis that addresses it can be 100% proven to your satisfaction, then those hypotheses are no different than your religious beliefs or any other belief.

As I've pointed out several times now, you're exhibiting the sort of simplistic black/white thinking that is typical of fundamentalists. Apparently you are only capable of comprehending two categories of explanations: those that are 100% scientifically proven, and mere belief.

Try and understand that most people are not so limited in their thinking abilities.

Tell me again where, how and when space, matter, energy and time came from and in what sequence, can you do that?
Sheesh......how many times do people have to keep telling you the same thing? The origin of the universe is a mystery. Why can't you get that through your head?

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I do not claim that it can be proven with empirical science
I'll ask you again, and you'll probably ignore it again.......exactly who do you think is claiming that their explanation for the origin of the universe "can be proven with empirical science"?

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Yes, I can but I do not claim that it can be proven with empirical science, it is a belief based on circumstantial information.

Piltdown man was believed to exist 500,000 years ago, the age of the 'missing link' has been pushed back ever since, into older and older hypothetical common ancestors which are never found

Same with countless other hypothetical transitions for other species, they are demanded to exist purely by the theory, not the actual evidence.

gnostic

The Lost One
Piltdown man was believed to exist 500,000 years ago, the age of the 'missing link' has been pushed back ever since, into older and older hypothetical common ancestors which are never found
The Piltdown man was a hoax, that science managed to debunked, after some years after the "alleged" Discovery in 1912.

But there were a number of skepticism about the find, quite early on, so it was already challenged by other biologists. It was only when they could conclusive debunk the Piltdown man in 1953, as a forgery.

But one hoax don't bring down all of actual evidences discovered that support and verified evolution to be factual.

My problem is why you are so obsessed in bringing up old news?

Have you found any fraudulent evidence more recently than 1910s?

Last edited:

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
The Piltdown man was a hoax, that science managed to debunked, after some years after the "alleged" Discovery in 1912.

But there were a number of skepticism about the find, quite early on, so it was already challenged by other biologists. It was only when they could conclusive debunk the Piltdown man in 1953, as a forgery.

But one hoax don't bring down all of actual evidences discovered that support and verified evolution to be factual.

My problem is why you are so obsessed in bringing up old news.

Have you found any fraudulent evidence more recently than 1910s?
That's Guy's rote script. He can't go more than a few posts without at least mentioning Piltdown Man, Darwinism being a "Victorian idea", patterns in junkyards, and something about the big bang being a religious idea.

gnostic

The Lost One
That's Guy's rote script. He can't go more than a few posts without at least mentioning Piltdown Man, Darwinism being a "Victorian idea", patterns in junkyards, and something about the big bang being a religious idea.
He always bring up BB vs SS cosmologies into evolution vs creationism threads, and vice versa.

He seemed to unable to grasp that biology and astrophysics don't mix.

Faithofchristian

Christians are taught in the churches that everything started at Adam and Eve, but this teaching is false. And not in Accordance to God's word.
In God's word teaches about a world that then was.
The dinosaurs bones stand there as God's witnesses about a world before this world came to be.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
that's the trouble with evolution vs creation arguments, second hand news vs. first hand verification. who's to say that lying or misconception about the facts isn't involved when you take things second hand?

having a preconceived ideology isn't going to make you open to evidence of the contrary. however, I still hold to evolution being an intelligent process, and I can easily dismiss God beliefs, and religious views of the past.

but I see some religious concepts that are useful evolutions of thought. who's to say that humans aren't progressively evolving and that might be a forever process.

the reasons I think religion is still valid is that nobody has disproved intelligent process in evolution and I see reasons to believe that not everything in existence is material/physical.

if we are only material beings and soul doesn't exist, and intelligence isn't responsible for life, than I'd be a naturalist.

Faithofchristian

Except that there are no other sources for Adam and Eve, other than the Genesis.

That itself, is false teaching, since God didn't write a single word.

Everything in the bible were written by men.

You see there's where your wrong again at. Had you any knowledge about the first earth age, you would haved known that all the scriptures were given by God and had already been put together, before this earth age came to be.
But you like all others have not one once about that first earth age.
All because you listen more to what man will say, and is leading you away from that first earth age, where the dinosaurs bones came from. That the earth is Millions of years old, than the 6000 yrs that man's teachings will tell you it is.
If you take a Millions yrs and try to fit it into 6000 yrs, it will not fit. But if you take
6000 yrs, You will find 6000 yrs will fit into a Millions yrs.
Therefore the earth is as old or older as the Dinosaurs bones are.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You see there's where your wrong again at. Had you any knowledge about the first earth age, you would haved known that all the scriptures were given by God and had already been put together, before this earth age came to be.
All because you listen more to what man will say, and is leading you away from that first earth age, where the dinosaurs bones came from. That the earth is Millions of years old, than the 6000 yrs that man's teachings will tell you it is.
If you take a Millions yrs and try to fit it into 6000 yrs, it will not fit. But if you take

Please provide one single scripture attributed to god, i have never seen a Gospel according to god, or a verse numbered god 14:3

As to your last paragraph ,"what?"

Faithofchristian

Please provide one single scripture attributed to god, i have never seen a Gospel according to god, or a verse numbered god 14:3

As to your last paragraph ,"what?"

Seeing you have no idea that all Scriptures are given by God. Therefore both old and new testaments are about God and given by God to his Prophets to write down nothing more than what is given to them.

As for the last paragraph, the young creationists say, the earth is only 6000 yrs old, but the Dinosaurs bones proves this to be false.

The dinosaurs bones being Millions of years old, then the earth would be just as old as the dinosaurs bones are or older. Go Figure

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Seeing you have no idea that all Scriptures are given by God. Therefore both old and new testaments are about God and given by God to his Prophets to write down nothing more than what is given to them.

As for the last paragraph, the young creationists say, the earth is only 6000 yrs old, but the Dinosaurs bones proves this to be false.

The dinosaurs bones being Millions of years old, then the earth would be just as old as the dinosaurs bones are or older. Go Figure

So please provide evidence rather than feigning incredulity that people actually read the bible and analyse for them selves. It only takes the ability to actually read words to know there is no passage written by god.

Earth is measured to be over 4.5 BILLION years old, the dinosaurs lived between 230 and 65 MILLION years ago. See the difference?

My avatar is a human skull (cro magnon) dated 26 thousand years old, there is some evidence that the yecs and bishop Ussher got it wrong

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
You really should stop trying to pawn your beliefs off as fact.
Takes a serious toll on your credibility.