• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence for God's existence

Clear

Premium Member
PopeADope asked in the O.P “ What evidence do you have that God exists? You can share your personal testimony of answered prayers or you can say God left signs in nature or say whatever you feel like saying in response to this op.”

Hi PopeADope :

I am a Christian theist and can only offer my opinion in context of Judeo-Christian religion. I admit surprise that certain points have not been made by Christian theists.

I believe that your question regarding personal evidence is both profound and fundamental to authentic religion and, is one of the pivotal questions that separates the mere study of religion from authentic religion itself.

Anyone may be involved in “theology” (i.e. the study of religion), including an atheist. However, (at least in the context of historically authentic Judeo-Christianity), authentic, living, religion has always involved communication between God and mankind. That is, it involved and still involves revelation and communication from God.

1) REVELATION AS EVIDENCE OF THE EXISTENCE OF GOD.

We’ve all observed the endless philosophical, “cosmological”; “traditional”, “logical” and “scientific” data discussed between theists and agnostics and, though they are the most popular data types to use (since logician-philosopher-scientists seem to want to “try” to “analyze” and "debate"…). Still I do not think that religion is supposed to be provable by such means and more importantly I do not believe these are the most powerful types of evidence for Christians to build and sustain a belief in God's existence.

I believe the strongest and most powerful, most compelling and profound evidence upon which one may base increasing faith in God's existence is direct communication with God; personal revelation from God to an individual.

For example; Anciently, christianity had the promise of the Holy Ghost, given to individuals who enter into the proper spiritual process of change which results in obtaining the gift of the Holy Ghost. It is individualized. It is trustworthy. Those who have revelation seem to possess the strongest testimony of the truth of religious principles, including the existence of God.

However, this experience and gift cannot be directly shared by those who do not possess it as any other “second hand” data. It brings objective experiences to those who have it, but then, how does that person do more than “describe” to another person; regarding their personal revelations, or personal communications from God? To the outsider, (who is inexperienced in such things himself), those things may seem like ouigi boards or crystal balls at the county fair. It is difficult for me, (as a religionist) to condemn the agnostic for his skepticism that any such communication from God is taking place, and for his unwillingness to experiment with faith himself (though I wish he would).

The difficulty on a basic level is that miracles and personal communication from God seem, in the main, to happen most commonly once certain keys are turned. For example, with rare exception, some degree of faith precedes the most powerful data (the miracles; the personal objective evidence, and the conversations with deity), rather than faith following the personal experiences and the data.

2) OBJECTIVE AND OBSERVABLE EVIDENCE OFTEN ACCOMPANIES REVELATION
Revelation often carries within it, the objective evidence that it is not a phenomenon generated by our own psyche. There are objective elements to revelation imbedded within it, as evidence that one is not crazy, and that they are not simply manufacturing the data.

Barring the fakers or the mentally unstable; The person who in actuality receives the witness of Gods existence by direct revelation from God, simply declares their own experience and insights they are given rather than simply being left to quote scripture or to quote science or to quote logic or to quote tradition (etc) as their authority for declaring the existence of God. I believe the orientation and quality of data gained by personal revelation versus all other types of "witness" is different.

For example, when a Christian is given a dream-revelation about something that will happen in the near future and it happens, (e.g. they are told a certain seemingly healthy person, living in a far away place will die in 48 hours) and it happens, then the experience carries with it objective evidence that the event was communication from an external source. (God). The persons diary entry or spousal observations may serve as evidence that the dream happened. The fact that the person in fact dies is objective. If this sort of communication about future events happens once, then perhaps it was simply coincidence. If it happens over and over during a life time, then it is something else that is going on. Still, the dreams can be described, but the experience itself cannot be shared and I do not think it is intended to be directly shared.

There is some degree of shared experience that is possible of course. For example, when two Christian brothers (i.e. family members), living on different continents have made consistent plans over a period of a year, but then receive the same life altering revelation on the same day and each write letters to each other on the same day announcing that God told them NOT to do as they planned, but instead, to do something else, and the two letters to the two separate continents cross in the mail and each letter begins with the same opening sentence, ( dear "brother", God told me me we are not to go to school together but instead I was told....), then the brothers have objective evidence of their experience. They have the diary entries, the actual letters, the postage stamp bearing the date the letters are sent, etc. Though the evidence of the receivers of revelation have their personal experience, they cannot do more than describe what happened. Critics are left to refute with claims that the brothers created the evidence as a hoax. That is, it is only the personal experience of the brothers that is irrefutable, but all else can be challenged.

Many revelations may not even involve others, and, though they may occur frequently, they may occur on a very private scale with little objective evidence to share. For example, if one of the brothers is framing his downstairs and hammering nails all day long and, upon getting ready to hammer one more nail out of hundreds he’s already hammered, he receives a revelation, a strong warning to put safety glasses on and, having had many such specific warnings in the past, obeys and puts on a pair of safety glasses. When the very next blow to the hammer strikes the nail at an unusual angle and the nail shoots at an angle and bounces against an upright board and then into the lens over the right eye and gouges the safety lens so deeply that it leaves a crack, the brother has a right to feel that the feeling that he should protect his eye that came so strongly was not merely a coincidence IF such things happen regularly enough that they are no longer coincidental. Still, the person receiving the revelation can only relate to another what happened. Though he can show another person the hammer and nail and the cracked safety lens, he can never prove the experience of actual and specific warning communication ever happened.

3) The evidence against mere coincident or luck are often inherent in consistencies within revelations themselves.

For example, at some point, when experience upon experience upon experience like these happen, they add up to a pattern that is not merely consistent, repeated "coincidence".

For example, the brother always wanted a Nissan 280z car (this is in the 80s when they are a COOL car). So he buys one in Las Vegas when traveling from Utah through Nevada to Arizona with his family on a trip. The license plate is good for another 8 months so he doesn’t change the title. Once he notices the plate is going to expire he finds he no longer can find the title (which is still in the original owners name). Thus, he will not be able to license the car. To make a long story short, he prays and ask God to help him, but, still no luck finding the title.
So,he looks through Utah and Nevada newspapers for another 280z (the one he bought possesses a good motor and so he intends to buy another 280z with a bad motor – but a good title….). After a couple of weeks he finds one about 400 miles away in Nevada. He phones the number in the ad he chose and asks the person about the car for sale and notices the voice on the phone is familiar. He then discovers that the person he is talking to is the original owner of the 280z he bought many months earlier. He can then get a title to the original car since he found his cars original owner who can apply for another title.

What are the chances this is coincidence?

Las Vegas area had approx. 2 million people in the area the brother phoned. It was months later. It was only someone selling a 280z. The prior owner had suddenly decided to sell his other 280z. The owner had picked that week to put it in the same paper the brother bought to read the classifieds from. What are the chances that things like this happen over and over in the life of the brother and are driven by “feelings”?

The many, many, many such experiences accumulate over a lifetime and all serve as evidence that one is receiving revelations from some intelligent source of data external to himself. What if, the specific revelation and experience that is specific confirmation to ones’ heart that there is a God and that God is the source of such experiences is stronger and more clear than all other experiences?

Though a lifetime of such experiences is the strongest evidence of the existence of an external intelligence (“God” or whatever you wish to call it) and it’s communication to a person, still the person cannot directly give any of the same experiences to another person. The second person must have them for themselves in order for such experiences them to serve as personal evidence of the existence of God.

I cannot think of any other type of evidence which is stronger personal evidence for the existence of God than revelation. I hope these examples make sense and, I might as well tell you that the examples are not anecdotal. I am the brother. When I became christian, I used to keep a written list of such experiences on the blank cover page of my bible. However as the page filled, I stopped because of the number of experiences took up the page over just a few years.

I wish you Good luck in coming to your own beliefs and models as to the nature of the universe (i.e. God or no God...)

Clear
ακδρφιω

Last edited:

HotRod Harry

There's actually plenty of evidence. None of it's conclusive, though.

so the fact that I have mail in my mailbox could be used - along with some other set of facts that may or may not be true - that God exists.

- I was not hit by a meteor today. One hypothesis that explains this fact is that, out in space decades ago, God tweaked the path of a meteor that would have hit me. What facts I have are consistent with this hypothesis, so me not being hit by a meteor is evidence for God.

Stick around the mailbox long enough and you'll see mail being put in, therefore refuting your argument. Everyone on earth was not hit by a meteor so that's evidence? That evidence is as thin as you can get. You need some new evidence.

Looncall

Excuse me? What do you mean?

You seem to be redefining gods so that it doesn't matter if they are actual in reality, but are content to leave them as imaginary.

Strange kinds of gods! I don't see how they could be of any use for the tasks gods are usually used for: creating universes, enforcing edicts, pushing suns across skies, inciting genocides etc.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You seem to be redefining gods so that it doesn't matter if they are actual in reality, but are content to leave them as imaginary.

Is that how you took it, then? Sorry if I encouraged such a perception.

I meant to point out that they are not meant to be taken literally in the first place. At least not in healthy religious practice as I understand it.

All sorts of logical and ethical troubles are created by treating deities as even conceivably "real" entities.

Strange kinds of gods! I don't see how they could be of any use for the tasks gods are usually used for: creating universes, enforcing edicts, pushing suns across skies, inciting genocides etc.

I think you realize then how worthless literal existence is for gods.

Or should I instead say that gods with literal existence are no good for human consideration?

scott777

The fine-tuning argument can be explained if given enough odds for a fine-tune universe to exist. In a multi-verse where basically an infinite universe could exist, why wouldn't there be a fine tuned universe? Heck I bet there probably are an infinite fine tuned universes out there.

We're so narrow-minded OR full of ourselves that we believe anything to do with us must have purpose and meaning.
Well said, plus we have no idea what's outside the observable universe, whether it's infinitely large with differing laws of physics, or whether the universe "Big Bangs", expands, contracts and starts all over again, forever.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It does seem odd that God would create so so may suns, and all just for us to look at as tiny dots!
The miracle of the sun was promised by three children who were having visions of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It was promised that on October 13th 1917, at the Cova Da Iria, there would be a sign for the crowd to see.

70000 people showed up , many of them Communists and Freemasons, and they wrote about what they saw.

scott777

For example, the brother always wanted a Nissan 280z car (this is in the 80s when they are a COOL car). So he buys one in Las Vegas when traveling from Utah through Nevada to Arizona with his family on a trip. The license plate is good for another 8 months so he doesn’t change the title. Once he notices the plate is going to expire he finds he no longer can find the title (which is still in the original owners name). Thus, he will not be able to license the car. To make a long story short, he prays and ask God to help him, but, still no luck finding the title.
So,he looks through Utah and Nevada newspapers for another 280z (the one he bought possesses a good motor and so he intends to buy another 280z with a bad motor – but a good title….). After a couple of weeks he finds one about 400 miles away in Nevada. He phones the number in the ad he chose and asks the person about the car for sale and notices the voice on the phone is familiar. He then discovers that the person he is talking to is the original owner of the 280z he bought many months earlier. He can then get a title to the original car since he found his cars original owner who can apply for another title.

Las Vegas area had approx. 2 million people in the area the brother phoned. It was months later. It was only someone selling a 280z. The prior owner had suddenly decided to sell his other 280z. The owner had picked that week to put it in the same paper the brother bought to read the classifieds from. What are the chances that things like this happen over and over in the life of the brother and are driven by “feelings”?
ακδρφιω

Regarding your praying to find a 280z car title, do you pray for a lot of things?

If you do, the question would be - how many things that you have prayed for have NOT been granted, and does that count as evidence against God?

If you don’t, then why do you pray for such trivial things?

scott777

Simply put, if your best response to the argument that "the finely tuned and seemingly arbitrary initial conditions, laws and constants of the universe requires belief in the invisible, immaterial agency of a supreme being who exists outside the universe, to be adequately explained", is to posit the existence of something else outside our universe (a "multiverse") which is equally invisible to our observation and equally unprovable as a result...then you are essentially giving ground to the theist notion that, as it stands, there is no naturalistic explanation for fine tuning within the parameters of the observable universe (the only universe we know to exist and which we can study with scientific tools) and that answers need to be sought in unfalsifiable metaphysical realities beyond it.

How about the simple fact of the evidence of an infinite universe?

As we have progressively increased our ability to see further into the universe, so the universe has consistently shown that it does NOT end. Although we know there is a limit that anything can be observed (due to light speed being finite and limiting), that doesn’t mean the universe actually ends at that point. So the logical conclusion is that the universe continues, and could easily be infinite.

I.E, we ONLY regard the universe in a finite sense because we cannot measure it beyond that “light limited” boundary. But that doesn’t make it evident that it is actually finite.

So, if it is infinite (which is just as likely as not), then the finely tuned constants would have an infinite opportunity of being different in different places.

Based purely on that logical argument (and there are other possibilities), there is at least a 50/50 chance of our local part of the universe being randomly fined-tuned.

Clear

Premium Member
Regarding your praying to find a 280z car title, do you pray for a lot of things? If you do, the question would be - how many things that you have prayed for have NOT been granted, and does that count as evidence against God? If you don’t, then why do you pray for such trivial things?

I think your question is logical Scottt777.

1) Regarding what I pray for and the concept of what is trivial
I do not pray over things that are trivial to me personally (e.g. I would not pray about what shoes to buy). I think God expects me to act independently and exercise my own judgment and to try to act to accomplish worthy goals, independent of him. IF the attempt to accomplish a goal is important and I have done all that I can do and still cannot accomplish a specific task, I will ask for specific help. Sometimes my prayers become “generic” to a certain extent. (e.g. “Help me be a good husband.”, “Help me not hurt a child in my pediatric medical practice.” Etc.)

Having said this, I must point out that the concept of what is or is not trivial is personal as well. To a child, a blanket or a doll may be a cherished item whereas to the parent, the old blanket and the worn doll is unimportant.

2) I believe that certain principles underlie how prayers are answered

I believe there are principles underlying specific requests made to God that explain why many of our prayers cannot be given to us in the time frame and in the manner in which we request them. The underlying principle is that God still works to tutor us for our development and good. Perhaps I can give an example.

I was younger and I had asked God for help to get into one of several medical programs I applied for. I felt that I had a confirmation in prayer that this wish would be granted.

One of these programs was available at the UTMB medical school in Galveston Texas. They invited me for an interview which seemed to go well. I took some testing and that seemed to also go well. In my mind all of these were obvious confirmations that this was the school I was going to be able to attend. My wife and I were confident and even looked for places to live. We picked out a beautiful mobile home park on the south beach (I had a mobile home I could move to Galveston and live in). We discussed going to the beach, doing some net fishing and coming back and baking them over a fire and playing with our two children on the beach after clinicals. We imagined this idealic life.

However, the school turned me down. I was frustrated, perhaps even a bit frustrated that I thought I had a clear answer and it didn’t turn out like I thought it would. As it turned out, a much finer program accepted me, I received the training I wanted and then went back and taught physical diagnosis for the same school that turned me down for their program. Not long after we returned to Galveston, my wife and I went to look at the south beach where we had planned to stay and to our shock, it was gone. There was no more park and no more beach. A hurricane had destroyed it the year after we left.

I realized then, that had I been given what I wanted, and in the way I assumed it should, and would be given me, that I would have lost everything we had. One cannot move a mobile home given only 48 hours warning. What had been a frustrating memory turned into insightful gratitude for not having been given the very thing I wanted in the way I wanted it.

While I can see your point, that if an answered prayer is specific evidence FOR the existence of God, then an unanswered prayer should logically serve as evidence AGAINST the existence of God. My point in telling the story of the lost title and finding the single original owner out of millions of possible chances that would never happen was that it was the circumstances surrounding the answered prayer and the fact that similar events happened over and over and over.

The point I am making now is that not all prayers are answered in the affirmative or in the way we want them answered, but that to do so would not create the greatest joy and most efficient learning in this life. I think there are principles underlying revelation from God that explain it’s apparent variances and complexities.

Scott777, as you consider these points, I hope they make sense and I hope your own journey in life is wonderful and good.

Clear
νεφιφυω

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
PopeADope asked in the O.P “ What evidence do you have that God exists? You can share your personal testimony of answered prayers or you can say God left signs in nature or say whatever you feel like saying in response to this op.”

3) The evidence against mere coincident or luck are often inherent in consistencies within revelations themselves.

Clear
ακδρφιω

Actually, that was quite good and quite clear.

Spiderman

Veteran Member

Hi PopeADope :

I am a Christian theist and can only offer my opinion in context of Judeo-Christian religion. I admit surprise that certain points have not been made by Christian theists.

I believe that your question regarding personal evidence is both profound and fundamental to authentic religion and, is one of the pivotal questions that separates the mere study of religion from authentic religion itself.

Anyone may be involved in “theology” (i.e. the study of religion), including an atheist. However, (at least in the context of historically authentic Judeo-Christianity), authentic, living, religion has always involved communication between God and mankind. That is, it involved and still involves revelation and communication from God.

We’ve all observed the endless philosophical, “cosmological”; “traditional”, “logical” and “scientific” data discussed between theists and agnostics and, though they are the most popular data types to use (since logician-philosopher-scientists seem to want to “try” to “analyze” and "debate"…). Still I do not think that religion is supposed to be provable by such means and more importantly I do not believe these are the most powerful types of evidence for Christians to build and sustain a belief in God's existence.

I believe the strongest and most powerful, most compelling and profound evidence upon which one may base increasing faith in God's existence is direct communication with God; personal revelation from God to an individual.

For example; Anciently, christianity had the promise of the Holy Ghost, given to individuals who enter into the proper spiritual process of change which results in obtaining the gift of the Holy Ghost. It is individualized. It is trustworthy. Those who have revelation seem to possess the strongest testimony of the truth of religious principles, including the existence of God.

However, this experience and gift cannot be directly shared by those who do not possess it as any other “second hand” data. It brings objective experiences to those who have it, but then, how does that person do more than “describe” to another person; regarding their personal revelations, or personal communications from God? To the outsider, (who is inexperienced in such things himself), those things may seem like ouigi boards or crystal balls at the county fair. It is difficult for me, (as a religionist) to condemn the agnostic for his skepticism that any such communication from God is taking place, and for his unwillingness to experiment with faith himself (though I wish he would).

The difficulty on a basic level is that miracles and personal communication from God seem, in the main, to happen most commonly once certain keys are turned. For example, with rare exception, some degree of faith precedes the most powerful data (the miracles; the personal objective evidence, and the conversations with deity), rather than faith following the personal experiences and the data.

Revelation often carries within it, the objective evidence that it is not a phenomenon generated by our own psyche. There are objective elements to revelation imbedded within it, as evidence that one is not crazy, and that they are not simply manufacturing the data.

Barring the fakers or the mentally unstable; The person who in actuality receives the witness of Gods existence by direct revelation from God, simply declares their own experience and insights they are given rather than simply being left to quote scripture or to quote science or to quote logic or to quote tradition (etc) as their authority for declaring the existence of God. I believe the orientation and quality of data gained by personal revelation versus all other types of "witness" is different.

For example, when a Christian is given a dream-revelation about something that will happen in the near future and it happens, (e.g. they are told a certain seemingly healthy person, living in a far away place will die in 48 hours) and it happens, then the experience carries with it objective evidence that the event was communication from an external source. (God). The persons diary entry or spousal observations may serve as evidence that the dream happened. The fact that the person in fact dies is objective. If this sort of communication about future events happens once, then perhaps it was simply coincidence. If it happens over and over during a life time, then it is something else that is going on. Still, the dreams can be described, but the experience itself cannot be shared and I do not think it is intended to be directly shared.

There is some degree of shared experience that is possible of course. For example, when two Christian brothers (i.e. family members), living on different continents have made consistent plans over a period of a year, but then receive the same life altering revelation on the same day and each write letters to each other on the same day announcing that God told them NOT to do as they planned, but instead, to do something else, and the two letters to the two separate continents cross in the mail and each letter begins with the same opening sentence, ( dear "brother", God told me me we are not to go to school together but instead I was told....), then the brothers have objective evidence of their experience. They have the diary entries, the actual letters, the postage stamp bearing the date the letters are sent, etc. Though the evidence of the receivers of revelation have their personal experience, they cannot do more than describe what happened. Critics are left to refute with claims that the brothers created the evidence as a hoax. That is, it is only the personal experience of the brothers that is irrefutable, but all else can be challenged.

Many revelations may not even involve others, and, though they may occur frequently, they may occur on a very private scale with little objective evidence to share. For example, if one of the brothers is framing his downstairs and hammering nails all day long and, upon getting ready to hammer one more nail out of hundreds he’s already hammered, he receives a revelation, a strong warning to put safety glasses on and, having had many such specific warnings in the past, obeys and puts on a pair of safety glasses. When the very next blow to the hammer strikes the nail at an unusual angle and the nail shoots at an angle and bounces against an upright board and then into the lens over the right eye and gouges the safety lens so deeply that it leaves a crack, the brother has a right to feel that the feeling that he should protect his eye that came so strongly was not merely a coincidence IF such things happen regularly enough that they are no longer coincidental. Still, the person receiving the revelation can only relate to another what happened. Though he can show another person the hammer and nail and the cracked safety lens, he can never prove the experience of actual and specific warning communication ever happened.

For example, at some point, when experience upon experience upon experience like these happen, they add up to a pattern that is not merely consistent, repeated "coincidence".

The many, many, many such experiences accumulate over a lifetime and all serve as evidence that one is receiving revelations from some intelligent source of data external to himself. What if, the specific revelation and experience that is specific confirmation to ones’ heart that there is a God and that God is the source of such experiences is stronger and more clear than all other experiences?

Though a lifetime of such experiences is the strongest evidence of the existence of an external intelligence (“God” or whatever you wish to call it) and it’s communication to a person, still the person cannot directly give any of the same experiences to another person. The second person must have them for themselves in order for such experiences them to serve as personal evidence of the existence of God.

I cannot think of any other type of evidence which is stronger personal evidence for the existence of God than revelation. I hope these examples make sense and, I might as well tell you that the examples are not anecdotal. I am the brother. When I became christian, I used to keep a written list of such experiences on the blank cover page of my bible. However as the page filled, I stopped because of the number of experiences took up the page over just a few years.

I wish you Good luck in coming to your own beliefs and models as to the nature of the universe (i.e. God or no God...)

Clear
ακδρφιω
Thank you!

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
evidence for God might lay in our ability to conceive Him.

I try to think of the most innocent, and most compassionate, and empathetic things I can think of, and than I multiply that by infinity, and that would be God.

then I think of all the people in life who hate on others with no just cause. and God would be the absolute contrary to that.

God is trying to achieve a standard of heart in promoting life in a blind place. blind because of hatred, and self only attitudes.

some might see God as one who is about superiority and exceptionalism. on the contrary God is trying to lift out of darkness anyone He can, and whom is able to see the light of compassion. God demands that character in order to live.

and that would be evidence of God that I used to go by, when I did believe in God.

I would think also that God deals in deserved compassion, as well as merciful compassion.

and the final thing God hates to do and must, is Damn someone who is only pure evil.

God only wants to give life, and create equals. but God's infinite wisdom is never fooled with evil.

that's the God I look for anyway.

scott777

evidence for God might lay in our ability to conceive Him.

I try to think of the most innocent, and most compassionate, and empathetic things I can think of, and than I multiply that by infinity, and that would be God.

then I think of all the people in life who hate on others with no just cause. and God would be the absolute contrary to that.

God is trying to achieve a standard of heart in promoting life in a blind place. blind because of hatred, and self only attitudes.

some might see God as one who is about superiority and exceptionalism. on the contrary God is trying to lift out of darkness anyone He can, and whom is able to see the light of compassion. God demands that character in order to live.

and that would be evidence of God that I used to go by, when I did believe in God.

I would think also that God deals in deserved compassion, as well as merciful compassion.

and the final thing God hates to do and must, is Damn someone who is only pure evil.

God only wants to give life, and create equals. but God's infinite wisdom is never fooled with evil.

that's the God I look for anyway.

The big problem with God is that he allows innocent children to suffer and die, yet lets people like Hitler live. Is that moral?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
i don't buy that there is a god, but i have standard of what God ought to be and nothing in reality meets that standard.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Or perhaps (and I say this as a theist) they simply have more cognitive ability than others. It could be hardwired into their bodies, not a supernatural gift. Besides, how does one account for non-Christians doing things similarly?

Clear

Premium Member
Or perhaps (and I say this as a theist) they simply have more cognitive ability than others. It could be hardwired into their bodies, not a supernatural gift. Besides, how does one account for non-Christians doing things similarly?

Hi Kelly : I think this is a wonderful observation you made (i.e. people OTHER than christians have metaphysical experiences/communication, etc.).

I believe that ALL individuals, (not just Christians) have spiritual experiences, including experiences of insight from the spirit of God. However, I do not think they often recognize the origin or quality of such intelligence and inspiration when it comes. As I look back on my life as a prior agnostic (i.e. one who does not know what to believe), but a respecter of religion, I believe that many of the early experiences I had were probably revelation, but I did not have the framework or context to recognize such experiences for what they were. I think Christians who claim that ONLY they are able to have spiritual experiences that originate with the spirit have an incorrect model of how God interacts with mankind.

I also think there are other individuals who simply have other types of connections to authentic metaphysical communications that are not explained by the Christian "spirit of God". These are my tentative models pending more and better data.

I think you made a Very good point Kelly.

Clear
ειειειτωω

Last edited:

Looncall

Hi Kelly : I think this is a wonderful observation you made (i.e. people OTHER than christians have metaphysical experiences/communication, etc.).

I believe that ALL individuals, (not just Christians) have spiritual experiences, including experiences of insight from the spirit of God. However, I do not think they often recognize the origin or quality of such intelligence and inspiration when it comes. As I look back on my life as a prior agnostic (i.e. one who does not know what to believe), but a respecter of religion, I believe that many of the early experiences I had were probably revelation, but I did not have the framework or context to recognize such experiences for what they were. I think Christians who claim that ONLY they are able to have spiritual experiences that originate with the spirit have an incorrect model of how God interacts with mankind.

I also think there are other individuals who simply have other types of connections to authentic metaphysical communications that are not explained by the Christian "spirit of God". These are my tentative models pending more and better data.

I think you made a Very good point Kelly.

Clear
ειειειτωω

On the other hand, all this could be just a kind of misfiring of our minds. Since we are all the same species, one would expect commonality in these spurious experiences.

I think you need to do better than this to demonstrate the existence of gods.

Clear

Premium Member
On the other hand, all this could be just a kind of misfiring of our minds. Since we are all the same species, one would expect commonality in these spurious experiences. I think you need to do better than this to demonstrate the existence of gods.

Hi Looncall;

You misunderstood.

Authentic experiences vs "Spurious" experiences
I have not described any "spurious experiences" (which are "false" or "fake"), but instead I indicated that I have described actual and authentic experiences. They are my own personal experiences that I had and am still having.

"Personal" revelation and "personal" experience is "personal"
Also, I believe that authentic personal revelation as a transfer of information or intelligence from some external source is direct evidence for such transfer only for the person who has the experience itself. This is true of all personal experience. You may receive a phone call from a neighbor, telling me that you were told you left your garage door open, but when relating this transfer of data to another person, it becomes hearsay and refutable. The same is true of authentic revelation.

If a person receives authentic personal revelation from an external source that is consistent and correct and happens with a frequency that places it beyond coincidence or luck, then the phenomenon still, is evidence to the person receiving it. The evidence is not transferrable in the same manner that group experience is shared (but still group experience is not directly transferrable to others).

My purpose is not to prove that there is a God,
I am not trying to use authentic revelation to prove Gods' existence to another person. (I do not think this can be done). Rather I am trying to explain why continuing consistent and authentic revelation is the best evidence of Gods existence to the person who receives it. If there is a God, then communication with him is the best evidence that he exists (as opposed to logical or rational reasons, or archaelological evidence or religious texts, or other types of evidence that individuals tend to offer).

I hope these clarifications make sense. In any case, I hope your own journey in life is Good Looncall.

Clear
ειειδρφυω

Last edited: