• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence for God's existence

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Einstein said that most beliefs about God are probably "childish" (hey, remember I'm just the messenger here!), and felt that God is likely so far beyond our comprehension that saying anything definitive is probably fruitless. The notable Jewish scholar Maimonides said that probably most of our ideas as to what God actually is are probably to varying degrees wrong. And yet both believed there is God.

Since I'm such a theological genius:rolleyes:, I'm gonna tell yas what I know about God, which is: I have no clue Thus, my rather infamous copyrighted response is: "I don't know". [all violators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law:mad:]

Last edited:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
now do you believe, lol
I do based on personal experience. Prayer and meditation help me out more than anything else, but can I provide anybody with evidence that God exists.... No I cannot, and it causes me to resent God that he refuses to show people he loves and cares about them.

Oh yes.... Just read the Bible.... There's your evidence and instruction... Never mind the fact that people don't agree on how to interpret the Bible and many come to opposite conclusions with Bible verses that support each one. It's a mess!

Thanks a lot Mister God! :rolleyes:

DavidFirth

There is no evidence. That's the reality.

There is circumstantial evidence. We have all of the Biblical authors' testimonies. The body of Jesus Christ has never been found. Much of Exodus and other books in the Bible can be shown to have recorded actual history.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Sorry.... I'm just really frustrated that I can't give people evidence that God exists, and I'm really upset about the poor job God does of shepherding people and why religious people are split into so many different sects and denominations. God is the reason people are so confused, it's impossible for me to see it any other way.

Perhaps I'm simple-minded, but this is enough evidence for me:
Miracle of the Sun - Wikipedia

I'm convinced that God exists... it just becomes difficult for me to Fathom that he really loves and cares about each human so much... Leaving them in the dark, refusing to speak clearly, refusing to console people, and refusing to guide them, in no way indicates that there is much love and concern on God's part!

DavidFirth

Sorry.... I'm just really frustrated that I can't give people evidence that God exists, and I'm really upset about the poor job God does of shepherding people and why religious people are split into so many different sects and denominations. God is the reason people are so confused, it's impossible for me to see it any other way.

Perhaps I'm simple-minded, but this is enough evidence for me:
Miracle of the Sun - Wikipedia

I'm convinced that God exists... it just becomes difficult for me to Fathom that he really loves and cares about each human so much... Leaving them in the dark, refusing to speak clearly, refusing to console people, and refusing to guide them, in no way indicates that there is much love and concern on God's part!

It's pretty much common sense, Pope:

Romans 1:20
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It's pretty much common sense, Pope:

Romans 1:20
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Is it common sense?
There are over a billion Muslims who pray 5 times a day and are certain that God doesn't want them to embrace Christianity or the Bible... They are very devout and believe that they possess the truth.

If they are mistaken, what are God's reasons for not telling them?

Do you think they lack common sense?

DavidFirth

Is it common sense?
There are over a billion Muslims who pray 5 times a day and are certain that God doesn't want them to embrace Christianity or the Bible... They are very devout and believe that they possess the truth.

If they are mistaken, what are God's reasons for not telling them?

Do you think they lack common sense?

God has told them. Their prophet has blinded their minds to the truth.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Let's say Renee has a tumor in her right lung, she prays, it spreads to her other lung, and she dies. Why was a miracle granted to Lissette and Evelyn and not to Renee?
There are many reason (if one is to judge it according to the Christian faith)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
God has told them. Their prophet has blinded their minds to the truth.
:coldsweat: are you sure? They sincerely believe you are the one who is blind... I don't know how to go about Discerning who's right and who's wrong. There are so many religions in this world, and so many people who genuinely seek the truth that come to a different conclusion than you, that I humbly don't feel smart enough to choose the right one.:disappointed:

DavidFirth

:coldsweat: are you sure? They sincerely believe you are the one who is blind... I don't know how to go about Discerning who's right and who's wrong. There are so many religions in this world, and so many people who genuinely seek the truth that come to a different conclusion than you, that I humbly don't feel smart enough to choose the right one.:disappointed:

I am absolutely positively sure that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He rose from the dead just as it is written. For the believer the Holy Spirit confirms this.

Kenny

Premium Member
How about Tom, who had pancreatic cancer, did NOT pray, and the tumor disappeared? The doctors didn't understand why. Or Mary, who had breast cancer, prayed, and yet the cancer spread and she died?

You pick and choose which are 'miracles' and which are not. The *fact* is that recovery doesn't depend on whether someone prays or not (in some cases, when people know they are being prayed for, it makes it worse). Spontaneous remission rates are unaffected by prayer or the religious beliefs of the patient.

So, yes, it is spontaneous remission and there is no evidence of supernatural intervention.
EXACTLY!!

For the unbeliever there is always another answer. For the believer there are miracles.

For an example:

I have my baby daughter in my lap with 104 degree fever at midnight trying to keep the temperature down with water mixed with alcohol... I say "Lord, I can't afford to take her to the hospital but if you don't do something, I will have to take her". 3 minutes later she is completely normal.

Believer: "It's God"
Unbeliever: "Coincidence" or "If there is a God, why didn't he heal the other babies and because some babies don't get healed there is no God"

Hawkins

The biggest lie ever in human history is the ask for evidence. What evidence do you have before you realize that black holes exist. Humans in majority don't rely on evidence to get to a truth.

That said, God granted a Covenant which specifies that humans will have to rely on faith to be saved. So if God is made evidenced, men thus have no hope to be saved.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The way I see it, there is plenty of evidence for the existence of gods as conceptions, and some of those are beautiful indeed.

With the proper cautions and environments, those can be superb practice tools as well.

Any speculations about whether they "truly exist" is IMO a serious mistake of scope, though. Wanting to find "evidence for the existence of God" implies a considerable degree of confusion about what a deity is.

Kenny

Premium Member
Please, by all means, list them or post a link.

1) Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: (lack of knowledge)
2) because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee (rejected knowledge)
3) James 16 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. (double mindedness)
4) Mark 11:25 And when you pray, forgive (unforgivenss or bitterness)
5) Matt 13:58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.(unbelief)

There are more... but suffice to say that there are reasons.