• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence for God?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Okay, first I want to say: I'm not saying I'm 100% sure on this, obviously. Just wanted you all to check this out, give a little opinion on this is all. But I think it is POSSIBLE that it is evidence of a God, none specifically.

Also, another thing before we being: I'm not claiming God as anything in particular. There are various definitions of God. Some think of it as a white man with a beard, others as a grey cloud of energy that creates things out in space... Anything could be a God in my opinion, doesn't have to be omnipotent, conscious, or anything, just has to fit the definition of a God or seem like a God.

Creator God: As you may know there are several things that make something a God... But one of them is a creator or something that created the universe.

Whatever formed the singularity (our universe before expanded) or if nothing did our singularity is a God by definition, is it not? Because it created our universe.

OR

Whatever made our singularity begin expanding is a God...

Does God have to be supernatural, spiritual, or anything unrealistic? Not that I know of... There is a definition that God is just that, but there are more than just that definition.

Supernatural God: Okay, if you are going to talk on and on about how first-hand experiences wont be evidence enough, ignore this one... Unless you are willing to try it yourself to try to receive the same experience (hoping somebody will, trying to find out if it is just me or everybody).

First off, how I meditate: Sit in the corner of my room, likely sitting on a pillow to avoid lumps on the ground. Avoid touching anything besides the comfortable pillow and sit crosslegged.

That's just how I sit, not sure if I have to sit in that position, though you must avoid touching anything unless you must.

Then try to forget about yourself, forget that you even exist. It helps a lot better when there are sounds to guide you. Closing your eyes help and listening to everything else helps also.

You will go into a deep, deep... way of consciousness, that seems like you don't exist, though you are aware of reality. The sounds that guide you can help you move and recognize. The first few times you do this your mind will only interpret what is there, but the more you do it, the more your mind actually knows what is there.

Doing this, it feels extremely dangerous to go deep within forgetting oneself, though doing it I imagine it will lead you to an unconscious-like state while you are still living, then trapped for you will be unconscious, non-existent pretty much, so you wont know the way back to your body (remembering that you exist).

But anyways, it's not a soul that leaves your body, it is just your mind recognizing the surroundings, specifically the places you know. It helps your mind become very, very aware of the surroundings when you go places.

Also, doing this, but not thinking about your surroundings or yourself, it has an affect I use a lot when I'm sad, angry, or such... It pauses all emotion.

So if anybody has names for the types of meditation I do, thanks, you can give me them off here, but that's not the point of this spot in the thread.

When you ARE aware of your surroundings but forgetting oneself, it gives you an awkward feeling, just a feeling, or at least it does to me. I cannot describe it more than a feeling. I believe it is God, just by the way it makes me feels, even though I know it is not the best thing to jump to...

I would be so happy if you try this, at least a few times try this meditation (a half hour a day is what I do, right before I sleep if you want to know), you may feel what I'm feeling and understand it.

We all have a different perspective, a different consciousness, why? Because of emotion. We have different views of things, different happiness to certain things. Some things may be boring to one, to another they are fun. That is why I call this feeling the Universal Emotion, because I believe it will happen to everybody that tries it. Everyone will have the same feeling and same affect from this meditation.

So opinions? I have (tried at least) to prove the Gods under the definition of creator and supernatural substance or being...

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think trying to prove God's existence is as futile as trying to disprove it.

outhouse

Atheistically
um, according to history didnt most all ancient cultures create deities to meet their needs.???

can imagination have evidence???

outhouse

Atheistically
I think trying to prove God's existence is as futile as trying to disprove it.

using history its easy to make a case against the creation of deities being a part of reality.

there is only evidence against

never for

so I personaly find its not as futile trying to disprove it, getting those with belief to listen sometimes is

The Sum of Awe

um, according to history didnt most all ancient cultures create deities to meet their needs.???

Most did, though I think there is some type of God out there, by definition.

can imagination have evidence???

As I said, try it if you are willing, or just forget the supernatural definition.

The Sum of Awe

using history its easy to make a case against the creation of deities being a part of reality.

never for

so I personaly find its not as futile trying to disprove it, getting those with belief to listen sometimes is

Ha, so did you at least read my evidence for the creator version of the deity?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
By all means, proceed.

never for
Depending on one's standards of "evidence," there is either none for either side, or some for both.

I'm listening, I just doubt you'll say anything new.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
is this a personal opinion??
Not at all.

At least, no moreso than your own assertion.

would you deny the thousands of deities no longer being worshipped as being created?
Not entirely sure what you're asking, so I'll answer both interpreations:
1) Do you deny that the end of a religion means the deity/ies in question were merely the product of imagination?
q2) Would you deny that thousands of deities are no longer worshipped?

a1) I would indeed.
a2) Of course not.

outhouse

Atheistically
By all means, proceed.

Depending on one's standards of "evidence," there is either none for either side, or some for both.

I'm listening, I just doubt you'll say anything new.

probably not new, sadly.

for me, I see a clear cut case that all cultures as they grow beyond a small group create deities. We have a historical past of creating deities to fill the gaps of knowledge we lack.

before we understood and accepted the science behind thunder, there was a thunder deity. Now there is none nor will there ever be again.

this example is played out in the human mind, as it has for 200,000 years and probably existed in our previous ancestors

I have studied some remote south american cultures and tribes, I have never seen one that did not have a deity or spirit. the further away from modern society, the more crazy their beliefs seem.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
So...what definition of "God" are we using now?

Please tell me it's not the "warm fuzzy feeling" given the label of "God".

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If might -- might -- be a toss up whether the One experienced by genuine mystics and no others is some kind of perception of a god or not. That might be disputable. It is certainly indisputable, however, that the odds are far against Russell's Teapot, or Dawkins' elf. And I think any reasonable person will admit, if they are informed, that the God of the Bible, for instance, has as much chance of being real as Russell's Teapot. Hardly a toss up. Only someone who was either ignorant, deceitful, or stupid would believe in Russell's Teapot. And most people who say they believe in such things as the Biblical god actually believe in something at least slightly more plausible that they merely call the Biblical god.

The Sum of Awe

Guys, I'll shorten it...

There is a definition of a God that is the creator of our universe... So wouldn't our singularity or whatever made it expand be God?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
probably not new, sadly.

for me, I see a clear cut case that all cultures as they grow beyond a small group create deities. We have a historical past of creating deities to fill the gaps of knowledge we lack.

before we understood and accepted the science behind thunder, there was a thunder deity. Now there is none nor will there ever be again.

this example is played out in the human mind, as it has for 200,000 years and probably existed in our previous ancestors

I have studied some remote south american cultures and tribes, I have never seen one that did not have a deity or spirit. the further away from modern society, the more crazy their beliefs seem.
That's more or less what I expected. And it's an interpretation of historical fact, not a fact in its own right. :sorry1:

I'm not saying it's not a valid interpretation, but there are others.