• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence for a Young Earth (Not Billions of Years Old)

Justatruthseeker

A brilliant example of genuine projection. Thank you for sharing.

Projection, yes.

It is embarrassing to observe an adult behaving
in quite such an unsophisticated and un -self- aware
way.

Fully equal to something like if I were to blather away
at a post game show, with no clue how football is payed,
while actually thinking I am an expert, ahead of others in
my thinking.

Or if our hero tried to present a talk to an assembled
group of physicists.

Of course, after a hoot or two they would just walk out.

Probably because they could not handle the truth. :D

Out past Pluto they found that asteroid sorta thingy that
looks like a snowman, with two spheres touching.
That musta been a fantastically high energy impact!!!
:D
Not so long ago, a small meteor came through
someone's roof, bounced around a bit and
ended up under the coffee table.

Another fantastically high energy impact,
dontcha think?

Always 105 whatever you said it was bazillions of
lb per sq ft. Musta blown that house to bits.
Only you people think an impact that imparts the energy of a 105 million pounds per square foot would be trivial and not do anything but vaporize said asteroids.

But what can one expect from those incapable of thinking for themselves.....

Just sad the mindset of sheep that only know how to follow where they are led.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that some people have a strange idea of how much energy it takes to blow something to bits. I grew up on a farm and a large boulder needed to be removed. It was too big to move with even a tractor, over five feet on a side. A hole was dug under it and some dynamite placed underneath it. We watched from a very safe distance. A large piece flew up to telephone pole height before falling back. And even then it was broken up into several large pieces. It was not anywhere close to being disintegrated.. Disintegrations tend to be what we see in movies and TV shows. Not so much in reality.
There is an old video of the Oregon Department of Transportation trying to get rid of a beached whale carcass by using dynamite. The unintended consequences of their efforts is are very entertaining. I wish I could find it, but you may have already seen it. It was circulating widely many years ago.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Only you people think an impact that imparts the energy of a 105 million pounds per square foot would be trivial and not do anything but vaporize said asteroids.

I have not made comment on this specific discussion other than to note your continued projection.

I do not expect anything from you, since you have shown little effort to think at all.

Justatruthseeker

I think this is important to consider in the frame of our ongoing discussion as well. Where they choose to bring their truth also impacts on how one responds. If he were telling us about the immutable poodles in a lecture hall, I would laugh and walk out as well. Here, though, it seems that this different venue offers only the ability to symbolically walk out and with, I think, less effect. So, addressing these anti-science drones on the internet may be more substantial, than laughing and walking away would be in the real world. What are your thoughts on that idea?
Yes, you would ignore reality no matter the venue, that is quite apparent from those that think 105 millions lbs of force per square foot on impact would leave anything intact.....

It’s quite obvious you all are incapable of logical thought and are merely parrots.....

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There is an old video of the Oregon Department of Transportation trying to get rid of a beached whale carcass by using dynamite. The unintended consequences of their efforts is are very entertaining. I wish I could find it, but you may have already seen it. It was circulating widely many years ago.
That was an oldie but a goodie!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Shock waves need not disintegrate. Why do you think that it would? You need to support this claim of yours.

Justatruthseeker

I have not made comment on this specific discussion other than to note your continued projection.

I do not expect anything from you, since you have shown little effort to think at all.
See above. Apparently the only one not thinking is the one that thinks 105 million lbs per square foot impact force would do little but melt a few veins in a meteorite never formed under pressure....

Thought is not your strong point so don’t start now....

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, you would ignore reality no matter the venue, that is quite apparent from those that think 105 millions lbs of force per square foot on impact would leave anything intact.....

It’s quite obvious you all are incapable of logical thought and are merely parrots.....
I do not even care about this portion of the discussion, nor do I have to care to show how much projection and outright falsehoods you employ to support your position.

I am still laughing at your oodles and oodles of never ending poodles.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
See above. Apparently the only one not thinking is the one that thinks 105 million lbs per square foot impact force would do little but melt a few veins in a meteorite never formed under pressure....

Of course, and if you can lock us all in to going back and forth about some triviality, you win by default. Face it, you bring nothing but unsupported opinion that you think are facts. It is all just oodles and oodles of never ending poodles for you.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

A massive object will also have a LOT inertia. What do you think happens when two massive objects collide? I would go with the experts in the field over someone that has trouble with basic Newtonian Mechanics.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It is amusing but seldom productive.
I know that there are intelligent believers out there. I was taught science by two devout Christians. One had a PhD in zoology, had taught at a university, but returned to his small hometown for personal reasons related to the death of his father and family business. He set up teaching at the local high school and was also a lay speaker at our church.

A mentor of mine in industry was a widely respected scientist and devout Christian. Of course, neither of those two men, used their beliefs to guide their science. There are a even a several Christians of similar description that I have noted on here. But the majority of self-identified Christians that frequent the internet are not very educated, are conspiracy oriented, dogmatic and often employ tactics that are prohibited by their own claimed ideology. They often speak with an air of expertise that does not show through their words or the information that they try to impart.

For rational discussions of topics that I choose to join on here, I often find that the only reasonable, intelligent and informed voices come from people that are ideologically my opposite. Not that I have a problem with that. I find most of the atheists, once they realize that I am not here to preach or make baseless assertions about the underlying causes in reality, are fine with my participation. I have come to respect many of them and learn from them. It still seems to be an issue that sparks some sorrow in me that so many claimed Christians seem to abhor intellect, reason and logic in favor of emotional speculation and manufactured facts.

Ignoring or even attacking someone that does not believe in a deity would be contrary to my world view. I have no impetus to attack someone simply because they can find no reason to believe as I do. Especially when they are using the same reason, logic and evidence to support their positions that I would use in support of science.

Last edited:

Astrophile

Which of course you failed to do any further research thinking you found the gotcha.....

Shocked chondrite meteorites due to their composition would disintegrate at 50,000 atmospheres of pressure on such a high impact.

That is 105,810,943 pounds per square foot of impact force.... so let’s see if I got this straight. You want me to believe two asteroids colliding with the force equivalent of 105 million pounds per square foot didn’t disintegrate them???

You people just accept anything they tell you without thinking it through. You apply no logic at all, just blindly swallow what you are told to believe, despite planetary and star formation models being in serious trouble.....

You have misunderstood what is going on. The meteorites were not shocked by collisions between small meteorites; they were shocked while they were still inside their parental asteroids, which probably had diameters of tens or hundreds of kilometres. The shocked meteorites formed the bedrock of impact craters in their parental asteroids. You must have seen images of intact asteroids, such as Ceres, Vesta, 21 Lutetia, 243 Ida, 253 Mathilde and 951 Gaspra, with craters on their surfaces. The rocks that now underlie the floors of these craters must have been severely shocked by the collisions that formed the craters; unfortunately we have not yet sent probes that were able to land on asteroids and bring back samples from these craters.

However, in part you are right when you say that asteroids would disintegrate as a result of collisions; in fact, most of the asteroids in the main belt are fragments of larger asteroids that have been broken up by collisions. The evidence for this comes from both their irregular shapes (e.g. 951 Gaspra, Ida, 253 Mathilde, 433 Eros), the existence of families of asteroids (for example Eos, Themis, Koronis, Baptistina, Flora and Veritas), and the low densities of many asteroids (e.g. 87 Sylvia and 253 Mathilde). The low densities of many asteroids imply that they are not solid rocks but 'rubble piles' made of fragments of an asteroid that was broken up by a collision and then reassembled itself as a result of the mutual gravitational attraction of the fragments. Again, the component fragments of these 'rubble piles' must have been severely shocked by the collisions that disintegrated the parent asteroids.

It would help if you were to use scientific units and the correct number of significant figures. One atmosphere is approximately 100,000 pascals (i.e. 100,000 newtons per square metre), so 50,000 atmospheres equals 5×10^9 pascals, or 5 GPa. This is actually on the low side for shock metamorphism; rocks in terrestrial impact structures have been subject to shock pressures of 10-100 GPa.

Audie

Veteran Member

Read for content, if you can.

I said nothing remotely like what you claim.
I was pointing out that not every impact is
so massive as the one you calculated t o the last pound.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
That is such an apt description. Tears are rolling down my cheeks. Well not, quite. But I am laughing heavily.
Thanks for that. You cannot beat the 'oodles and oodles of never ending poodles' model of reality. It is like making this wonderful and delicious cake and then covering it with this really crappy, sickly sweet icing.

Justatruthseeker

I do not even care about this portion of the discussion, nor do I have to care to show how much projection and outright falsehoods you employ to support your position.

I am still laughing at your oodles and oodles of never ending poodles.
Apparently you do care about this portion since you thought it necessary to inject your ignoring reality here...

I’m sure you are. Laughing is the only way you can justify to yourself ignoring reality....

Whatever makes you feel better about yourself. I understand cognitive dissonance applies itself in many ways to protect fragile minds from the reality.... that their beliefs are wrong....