• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence for a Young Earth (Not Billions of Years Old)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh I understand what one THINKS one sees.....

I'll ask again....

Do you believe our velocity is zero because our devices say it is zero along with our perceptions? Or do you believe we are in motion DESPITE what our devices and perceptions say?

Answer the quation, let's see if you actually believe what your devices and perceptions say or if you are going to ignore them and accept the fact we are in motion????

Your avoidance does nothing but show the contradiction you are forcing yourself right into....

The twin in motion THINKS his time dilation is zero as well as his velocity. Sadly his belief is irrelevant to the fact that he has undergone both....
You question is meaningless as asked. It only tells us that you do not understand motion.

Try to avoid asking "Have you quit beating your wife yet?" questions. Your post indicates that you think that there is such a thing as absolute motion. You are like a Flat Earther in that respect. They have the same belief.

Once again. All motion is relative. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

And clearly you do not understand what a person THINKS that one sees. There is no absolute motion in physics. Period. Full stop. Amen. Ramen.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's sadly funny.
I wish that he could see that. He keeps telling someone that has more than a degree in physics (not me) that he is wrong about applying the theory of relativity. Rather ironic when even an inertial frame of reference is beyond him. Still I do believe that if he applies himself that he can learn.

gnostic

The Lost One
I wish that he could see that. He keeps telling someone that has more than a degree in physics (not me) that he is wrong about applying the theory of relativity. Rather ironic when even an inertial frame of reference is beyond him. Still I do believe that if he applies himself that he can learn.
Not bloody likely.

He seemed incapable and unwilling to learn.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
And yet you refuse to apply time dilation corrections to him like you did to twin B and arrive at the same answer of 16 years... Funny how your claims contradict your own claims....

Actually, if you looked at what I wrote, I noted that when 8 years had elapsed for twin B (when he turned around),and that 6.4 years had elapsed at that point for twin A.

But, at that point, twin B has to change inertial frames, which means he has to recompute the position of twin A in both space and time. That is what the Lorentz transformation does. He then applies the time dilation appropriate to determine the extra amount of aging twin A goes through, which was 13.6 years, for a total of 20 years. The problem is that when the frames are shifted, the point 'simultaneous' with twin B changing frames, but a distance of 4.8 light years away (.6*8) becomes a point a bit over 10 light years away and a bit less than 9 years in the past. If you then do the time dilation to the time when the twins meet up, you get the extra 13.6 years.

Again, simultaneity is not absolute. When shifting frames, you have to find both the space and time coordinates in the new frame.

from the simple fact you rerfused to apply to A the same calculations you applied to B to arrive at B's age.... Instead you found it necessary to treat A as stationary and apply only time dilation corrections to his frame... I didn't say it, you said it in the very math you used.....

No, I treated A as moving in B's frame(s). In each case, I found the elapsed time in the appropriate frame, the distance gone, and computed the proper time as sqrt(t^2 -x^2), which is the correct formula for proper time (time experiences by the one going on that path). Now, to *find* the appropriate t and x in moving between frames may take some work, but the answer always comes out. Now, if someone is stationary in that frame, then x=0.

No he doesn't, he sees himself at rest. He sees A taking 8 years for each half of the trip. Yet you keep wanting to consider only A as the absolute frame while claiming B's viewpoint is equally valid. Your contradictions are plain to see...

And yet you only apply it to B's frame back to A......

I was computing how much A aged. That requires finding out how far A moved and how long it took to do so *in A's frame*. I did that. For example, when twin B is half-way through the journey, twin A has aged 6.4 years.

And yet you found it necessary to apply the Lorentz transformation which as you put it "tells how to get from the description in one frame to the description in another."

Yes, I was finding what the spacetime coordinates are for the same point in two different frames. If you want to shoft from B'a outgoing frame to his return frame, a Lorentz transformation is required. For A, however, there is no change of inertial frames.

So which is it? Contradictions in every statement you make...

You mean only by knowing what A sees can we then deduce the correct passage of time in A's frame from B's frame. B sees the same exact thing as A. So knowing what B sees, we can determine what A sees, is this not what you just stated? Yet You found it necessary to apply slowing clocks only to B to get 16 years, while refusing to apply the slowing of clocks to A to get 16 years, despite the small fact that this is only what B sees.....

No, B does NOT see the exact same thing as A! Twin B experiences two different inertial frames: an outgoing one and a return one. Twin A, on the other hand, only experiences one inertial frame.

So, yes, if we know what B measures for the position and duration for where A is in space time, then B can correctly determine how much A has aged.

The slowing of clocks is one part of the Lorentz transformation. And yes, if you understood what I did, you would see I *did* apply the time dilation for the time differences in B's frame. That was what the sqrt(t^2 -x^2) is all about, after all.

To paraphrase yourself "How can you say he 'really has'? From what frame do you say that?" B never changes frames from his own viewpoint. A changes them..... Once again only treating A's frame as the absolute frame from which the motion derived....

This is where you are wrong. Twin B *does* change inertial frames. Twin A does not.

You showed nothing except that you had to use A as the abso;lute frame to base all your calculations from....

Once again, any *inertial* frame is equally good. But twin B doesn't stay in a single inertial frame.

To paraphrase yourself "How can you say he 'really has'? From what frame do you say that?" B never changes frames from his own viewpoint. A changes them..... Once again only treating A's frame as the absolute frame from which the motion derived....

No, I even showed that the calculations were for the outgoing frame for B. In *that* frame, twin A has moved 15 light years from the beginning of the whole scenario to the end. Also, the whole scenario too 25 years in that outgoing frame. And the time dilation applied to that 25 years is .8*25=20 years.

But, twin B does *stay* in that inertial frame. Twin B *changes* frames half way through. So, you have to compute the change from the outgoing inertial frame to the return inertial frame, both of which are moving with respect to twin A (at 60% of c), but also moving with respect to each other(at 88.2% of c).

Yes, you could take B's viewpoint that A's clocks are slowing and calculate 16 years just like A did, but you won't.... because you'll still consider A as the absolute frame....

I won't because that 16 years is not the time from any single inertial frame. It is a mixture of times from two different frames. That means you have to compute how to shift from one to the other.

Pseudoscience. The Hafele–Keating experiment did all calculations within the same earth centered frame, despite direction changing..... The slowing had nothing at all to do with magical pseudoscientific frame switching.... Of course this experiment was not performed until after the pseudoscience of frame switching was set into literature as fact. But why let reality get in the way of a good story, right????

Yes, all are related to the frame of the Earth. We can use any inertial frame to do the required calculations and get the same answer.

But once again: To paraphrase yourself "How can you say he 'really has'? From what frame do you say that?" B never changes frames from his own viewpoint. A changes them..... Once again only treating A's frame as the absolute frame from which the motion derived....

OK, so you don't grasp the notion of an inertial frame. Twin B changes inertial frames and twin A does not. it really is that simple. Twin B will experience an acceleration because of that change while twin A will not. In a spacetime diagram, the path of twin B will change slopes while the graph of twin A will not. And these statements will be true for *every* inertial frame that looks at the situation. That is the *basic* asymmetry between the two twins: one experiences an acceleration, while the other does not. The reason is that the path of one (twin A) is a straight line in spacetime while the path of the other (twin B) is NOT a straight line in spacetime.

Let's put it this way. Look at twin B's outgoing frame. Twin B sees that frame as at rest while be is in it. But, from twin B's outgoing frame, the return frame is going at 88.2% of c. Twin B has to change from the frame where he started out seeing himself being at rest to a *different* frame that moves at 88.2% of c with respect tot hat first frame.

Conversely, from B's return frame, the outgoing frame is moving at 88.2% of c. This has NOTHING to do with twin A. it is simply a matter of twin B changing from one frame to another frame at the middle of journey.

If you see yourself at rest at one moment and then experience an acceleration, you have changed frames even if you see yourself as at rest after that acceleration. To be in the same frame means to always be moving at a uniform velocity in the same direction and thereby not ever experiencing an acceleration. That is the *definition* of an inertial frame: one which does not experience an acceleration 'force'.

Ahh, so reality only intrudes into your consciousness when it is B's actual motion, but then we can't say A isn't stationary because then from what frame would you say that. lol, you people are a riot....

Says who? Not B..... B says he stays in the same inertial frame the whole time and A does not. Please decide whether you believe A is the absolute frame or not....

NO, once again, twin B does NOT stay in the same inertial frame.

No, twin B changes from one frame where he was at rest to another frame moving at 88.2% of c with respect to the first.

Both versions treated A's frame as the absolute frame and only B in motion. B does not see this...

No, they do not. But they *do* take into consideration that B changes frames.

And you would be wrong except done from Frame A.... As shown by the fact you don't really want to consider B's viewpoint as equally valid.
If twin B stayed in the same frame the whole time, there would be no issue. But twin B does NOT stay in the same inertial frame the whole time. That is the whole point.

We could take the reference frame for everything to be twin B's outgoing frame. Do you want me to do all the calculations in that frame?

OK, twin B starts out in the outgoing frame. In that frame twin A is moving at 60% of c. After 8 years in that frame, twin A is .6*8=4.8 light years away and has experienced .8*8=6.4 years (time dilation here).

Now, twin B starts to move with respect to the outgoing frame at a speed of (.6+.6)/(1+.6*.6) =.882= 88.2% of c to catch up with twin A. This is motion with respect to the outgoing frame for B. It takes (distance divided by difference in speeds) 4.8/(.882-.6)=17.0 years to catch up. Now, take time dilation into account again, and find that twin A has aged an additional 17.0*.8=13.6 years while twin B was catching up. The total amount of aging for twin A is then 6.4+13.6=20 years.

Now, of course, twin B also ages during that time. In the outgoing frame, it takes 17 years to catch up, so applying time dilation again, twin B ages an additional 17*sqrt(1-.882^2)=8 years. Hence, twin B experiences a total of 8+8=16 years for the whole scenario.

Once again, you have to stay in the same inertial frame if you want to do the calculations correctly. There are three inertial frames in this scenario: the frame that twin A stays in the whole time, the outgoing frame for B, and the return frame for B.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

You can't even follow your own claims of relativity.

And yet you keep treating A's frame as absolute and stationary. Keep talking of B switching frames, when according to B it is A that switched frames..... It is A who's clock slowed according to B. It is A that accelerated away from him. it is A that took 8 years on the outward journey and 8 years on the return....

To claim anything else shows you don't really believe your own claims that B's frame is equally valid. If you don't believe your own claims, I see no reason why I should.....

No, you are wrong. B changes frames and A does not. This is NOT a relative issue. There are three inertial frames in this problem and only three: the frame for A, the frame for B going out, and the frame for B returning. I showed how to do the whole calculation in B's outgoing frame in my last post.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh I understand what one THINKS one sees.....

I'll ask again....

Do you believe our velocity is zero because our devices say it is zero along with our perceptions? Or do you believe we are in motion DESPITE what our devices and perceptions say?

I think that is not a meaningful question. It's like asking whether you are rotated or not. With respect to what?

Answer the quation, let's see if you actually believe what your devices and perceptions say or if you are going to ignore them and accept the fact we are in motion????

Your avoidance does nothing but show the contradiction you are forcing yourself right into....

The twin in motion THINKS his time dilation is zero as well as his velocity. Sadly his belief is irrelevant to the fact that he has undergone both....

Well, one twin changes frames and the other does not. That is the only difference here.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Actually, if you looked at what I wrote, I noted that when 8 years had elapsed for twin B (when he turned around),and that 6.4 years had elapsed at that point for twin A.

But, at that point, twin B has to change inertial frames, which means he has to recompute the position of twin A in both space and time. That is what the Lorentz transformation does. He then applies the time dilation appropriate to determine the extra amount of aging twin A goes through, which was 13.6 years, for a total of 20 years. The problem is that when the frames are shifted, the point 'simultaneous' with twin B changing frames, but a distance of 4.8 light years away (.6*8) becomes a point a bit over 10 light years away and a bit less than 9 years in the past. If you then do the time dilation to the time when the twins meet up, you get the extra 13.6 years.

Again, simultaneity is not absolute. When shifting frames, you have to find both the space and time coordinates in the new frame.

No, I treated A as moving in B's frame(s). In each case, I found the elapsed time in the appropriate frame, the distance gone, and computed the proper time as sqrt(t^2 -x^2), which is the correct formula for proper time (time experiences by the one going on that path). Now, to *find* the appropriate t and x in moving between frames may take some work, but the answer always comes out. Now, if someone is stationary in that frame, then x=0.

No he doesn't, he sees himself at rest. He sees A taking 8 years for each half of the trip. Yet you keep wanting to consider only A as the absolute frame while claiming B's viewpoint is equally valid. Your contradictions are plain to see...

I was computing how much A aged. That requires finding out how far A moved and how long it took to do so *in A's frame*. I did that. For example, when twin B is half-way through the journey, twin A has aged 6.4 years.

Yes, I was finding what the spacetime coordinates are for the same point in two different frames. If you want to shoft from B'a outgoing frame to his return frame, a Lorentz transformation is required. For A, however, there is no change of inertial frames.

No, B does NOT see the exact same thing as A! Twin B experiences two different inertial frames: an outgoing one and a return one. Twin A, on the other hand, only experiences one inertial frame.

So, yes, if we know what B measures for the position and duration for where A is in space time, then B can correctly determine how much A has aged.

The slowing of clocks is one part of the Lorentz transformation. And yes, if you understood what I did, you would see I *did* apply the time dilation for the time differences in B's frame. That was what the sqrt(t^2 -x^2) is all about, after all.

This is where you are wrong. Twin B *does* change inertial frames. Twin A does not.

Once again, any *inertial* frame is equally good. But twin B doesn't stay in a single inertial frame.

No, I even showed that the calculations were for the outgoing frame for B. In *that* frame, twin A has moved 15 light years from the beginning of the whole scenario to the end. Also, the whole scenario too 25 years in that outgoing frame. And the time dilation applied to that 25 years is .8*25=20 years.

But, twin B does *stay* in that inertial frame. Twin B *changes* frames half way through. So, you have to compute the change from the outgoing inertial frame to the return inertial frame, both of which are moving with respect to twin A (at 60% of c), but also moving with respect to each other(at 88.2% of c).

I won't because that 16 years is not the time from any single inertial frame. It is a mixture of times from two different frames. That means you have to compute how to shift from one to the other.

Yes, all are related to the frame of the Earth. We can use any inertial frame to do the required calculations and get the same answer.

OK, so you don't grasp the notion of an inertial frame. Twin B changes inertial frames and twin A does not. it really is that simple. Twin B will experience an acceleration because of that change while twin A will not. In a spacetime diagram, the path of twin B will change slopes while the graph of twin A will not. And these statements will be true for *every* inertial frame that looks at the situation. That is the *basic* asymmetry between the two twins: one experiences an acceleration, while the other does not. The reason is that the path of one (twin A) is a straight line in spacetime while the path of the other (twin B) is NOT a straight line in spacetime.

Let's put it this way. Look at twin B's outgoing frame. Twin B sees that frame as at rest while be is in it. But, from twin B's outgoing frame, the return frame is going at 88.2% of c. Twin B has to change from the frame where he started out seeing himself being at rest to a *different* frame that moves at 88.2% of c with respect tot hat first frame.

Conversely, from B's return frame, the outgoing frame is moving at 88.2% of c. This has NOTHING to do with twin A. it is simply a matter of twin B changing from one frame to another frame at the middle of journey.

If you see yourself at rest at one moment and then experience an acceleration, you have changed frames even if you see yourself as at rest after that acceleration. To be in the same frame means to always be moving at a uniform velocity in the same direction and thereby not ever experiencing an acceleration. That is the *definition* of an inertial frame: one which does not experience an acceleration 'force'.

NO, once again, twin B does NOT stay in the same inertial frame.

No, twin B changes from one frame where he was at rest to another frame moving at 88.2% of c with respect to the first.

No, they do not. But they *do* take into consideration that B changes frames.

If twin B stayed in the same frame the whole time, there would be no issue. But twin B does NOT stay in the same inertial frame the whole time. That is the whole point.

We could take the reference frame for everything to be twin B's outgoing frame. Do you want me to do all the calculations in that frame?

OK, twin B starts out in the outgoing frame. In that frame twin A is moving at 60% of c. After 8 years in that frame, twin A is .6*8=4.8 light years away and has experienced .8*8=6.4 years (time dilation here).

Now, twin B starts to move with respect to the outgoing frame at a speed of (.6+.6)/(1+.6*.6) =.882= 88.2% of c to catch up with twin A. This is motion with respect to the outgoing frame for B. It takes (distance divided by difference in speeds) 4.8/(.882-.6)=17.0 years to catch up. Now, take time dilation into account again, and find that twin A has aged an additional 17.0*.8=13.6 years while twin B was catching up. The total amount of aging for twin A is then 6.4+13.6=20 years.

Now, of course, twin B also ages during that time. In the outgoing frame, it takes 17 years to catch up, so applying time dilation again, twin B ages an additional 17*sqrt(1-.882^2)=8 years. Hence, twin B experiences a total of 8+8=16 years for the whole scenario.

Once again, you have to stay in the same inertial frame if you want to do the calculations correctly. There are three inertial frames in this scenario: the frame that twin A stays in the whole time, the outgoing frame for B, and the return frame for B.
That simutaneity does not exist makes my brain hurt.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yep. It's one of the trickier parts of SR. It leads to all sorts of errors.
To be honest one only needs to remember that what is simultaneous for me will not be simultaneous for another. In our everyday world the effects of relativity are almost nonexistent. One used to have to go to extremes to find An example, though now many of us carry one in our pockets.

ecco

Veteran Member
Nah!

ETA:

However, I did learn a lot from post #366. I actually even understand that points Polymath was making.

It's quite clear that one must look at this example as having three viewpoints, not two as "truthseeker" believes.

Last edited:

Justatruthseeker

You question is meaningless as asked. It only tells us that you do not understand motion.

Try to avoid asking "Have you quit beating your wife yet?" questions. Your post indicates that you think that there is such a thing as absolute motion. You are like a Flat Earther in that respect. They have the same belief.

Once again. All motion is relative. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

And clearly you do not understand what a person THINKS that one sees. There is no absolute motion in physics. Period. Full stop. Amen. Ramen.

Justatruthseeker

To be honest one only needs to remember that what is simultaneous for me will not be simultaneous for another. In our everyday world the effects of relativity are almost nonexistent. One used to have to go to extremes to find An example, though now many of us carry one in our pockets.

They are exactly simultaneous. The finite speed of light simply means that what happens "now" in both frames will not be known in another frame until 4 years later if at a distance of 4 light years.... It did NOT happen 4 years in your past. It happened in what was your present 4 years ago and will be your future and your present time again when you actually see the event.....

Justatruthseeker

Nah!

ETA:

However, I did learn a lot from post #366. I actually even understand that points Polymath was making.

It's quite clear that one must look at this example as having three viewpoints, not two as "truthseeker" believes.
You mean his pseudoscience of frame switching?

All calculations of the Hafele–Keating experiment were performed using the same Earth centered Frame. There was no need to postulate pseudoscientific frame switching at all....

In reality the clock of B slows as he accelerates to speed. Then stays at the same slow rate as he stops accelerating. As he reaches his turn around point and begins to decelerate his clocks speed back up to the rate they were while he was in frame A. He then accelerates again to return home. His clocks again slow. As he nears frame A he once again decelerates which causes his clocks to again speed back up until they again tick at the same rate as A, minus the elapsed time differences.

If you take his pseudoscientific view of frame switching then you must conclude 4 frames, not 3. Because his turning around to decelerate to land on earth is exactly the same as his turning around to decelerate to come back at the half-way point........ Both actions leave him stationary with respect to A.

Justatruthseeker

I think that is not a meaningful question. It's like asking whether you are rotated or not. With respect to what?
It's completely valid. Either your perceptions and devices are correct and we are stationary, or they are wrong and we are in motion despite what our devices and perceptions tell us.

Well, one twin changes frames and the other does not. That is the only difference here.
What twin, what are you talking about??

Where do you get a twin from the question "Do you believe our velocity is zero because our devices say it is zero along with our perceptions? Or do you believe we are in motion DESPITE what our devices and perceptions say?" I'm discussing the fact that we are in motion right here on this earth, spinning around the earth at 1,000 mph, orbiting the sun at 67,000 mph, which is orbiting the galaxy at 514,000 mph, which is itself moving through space.....

Yet you appear stationary. So I will ask again: Do you believe our velocity is zero because our devices say it is zero along with our perceptions? Or do you believe we are in motion DESPITE what our devices and perceptions say?

SZ is avoiding answering because he knows his answer will invalidate any claim he made about our clocks not having gone time dilation due to the expansion of the universe. Meaning our clocks and decay rates happened faster in the past. he knows he can't trust his devices, knows changes in velocity slows clocks, yet refuses to adjust for time dilation as he calculates backwards in time..... Just as you will rely on your belief that time hasn't changed because you cant see it change, when twin B couldn't see his clock change and yet it did.... You'll ignore reality to avoid a more recent past than you want to believe....

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Improperly asked question. Try not to ask questions with false assumptions in them.

Or you could try to learn what motion is in the first place.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
They are exactly simultaneous. The finite speed of light simply means that what happens "now" in both frames will not be known in another frame until 4 years later if at a distance of 4 light years.... It did NOT happen 4 years in your past. It happened in what was your present 4 years ago and will be your future and your present time again when you actually see the event.....
Nope. Simultaneity does not exist in the real world. What would be simultaneous for one observer is never simultaneous for another. Your post is a Flat Earth belief. It implies a preferred frame of reference. There ain't no such animal.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You mean his pseudoscience of frame switching?

All calculations of the Hafele–Keating experiment were performed using the same Earth centered Frame. There was no need to postulate pseudoscientific frame switching at all....

In reality the clock of B slows as he accelerates to speed. Then stays at the same slow rate as he stops accelerating. As he reaches his turn around point and begins to decelerate his clocks speed back up to the rate they were while he was in frame A. He then accelerates again to return home. His clocks again slow. As he nears frame A he once again decelerates which causes his clocks to again speed back up until they again tick at the same rate as A, minus the elapsed time differences.

If you take his pseudoscientific view of frame switching then you must conclude 4 frames, not 3. Because his turning around to decelerate to land on earth is exactly the same as his turning around to decelerate to come back at the half-way point........ Both actions leave him stationary with respect to A.
You really need to quit calling established science that you do not understand "pseudoscience" it tells those that have at least a basic understanding of the science that you do not like that you do not understand it. That is why you fail when you try to apply relativity.

Once again, Flat Earthers think that there is some preferred "right" frame of reference. For them it is the unmoving Earth. Your posts keep indicating that you too believe in such a frame of reference, but you are afraid to name it. Your Flat Earth beliefs would be obvious to even you if you made such a claim.

Justatruthseeker

Improperly asked question. Try not to ask questions with false assumptions in them.

Or you could try to learn what motion is in the first place.

Their is no false assumption in the question. Either you believe we are stationary because our devices and perceptions say we are, or you believe we are in motion regardless of what they say....