• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence for a god and against a god

We Never Know

No Slack
Staying in line with the forum and the request of scientific evidence,,,

Firstly; List all the scientific evidence that a god does exist.

Secondly; List all the scientific evidence that a god doesn't exist.

The kicker; If a god does exist, it exists in the so called supernatural(if it exists), which is above our current understanding, knowledge and science.

So.... How can there be any scientific evidence of a god existing or not existing?

Heyo

Veteran Member
The kicker; If a god does exist, it exists in the so called supernatural(if it exists), which is above our current understanding, knowledge and science.

That is already an assumption which will surely be protested. Some people believe in a real (physical) god. Some don't. So your question doesn't make sense as "god" is essentially undefined. You may make up your own definition (as you did by assuming it to be supernatural) but all your evidence for or against will be worthless because people will contest your premise that "god is X".

Skwim

Veteran Member

Zip!

Zip

So.... How can there be any scientific evidence of a god existing or not existing?
There can't be, which is why the faithful seldom, if ever, try using it. :shrug:

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.

Which god? If we are talking about the young earth creationist variety of gods, then there is plenty of scientific evidence that they don't exist.

For many other varieties of god, no scientific evidence exists either way - just like there is none either way for any other unfalsifiable claim anybody wants to dream up (universe creating pan-dimensional pixies, for example).

We Never Know

No Slack
Which god? If we are talking about the young earth creationist variety of gods, then there is plenty of scientific evidence that they don't exist.

For many other varieties of god, no scientific evidence exists either way - just like there is none either way for any other unfalsifiable claim anybody wants to dream up (universe creating pan-dimensional pixies, for example).

As I said "a god"

We Never Know

No Slack
That is already an assumption which will surely be protested. Some people believe in a real (physical) god. Some don't. So your question doesn't make sense as "god" is essentially undefined. You may make up your own definition (as you did by assuming it to be supernatural) but all your evidence for or against will be worthless because people will contest your premise that "god is X".

I didn't say god. I said "a god". There is a difference.

We Never Know

No Slack

Can a god be anything other than supernatural?

Phaedrus

For starters, one does not go about attempting to prove something does not exist. It is perfectly rational to state something does not exist on the mere basis of there being zero evidence for its existence. Otherwise, we would be unreasonably attempting to prove unicorns, fairies, and garden gnomes do not exist. The burden of proof, from my perspective, lies with the one making the positive claim of existence.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So anyone who rejects the whole idea of a supernatural/natural dichotimy - e.g. me - can just reject the idea of gods as well?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So anyone who rejects the whole idea of a supernatural/natural dichotimy - e.g. me - can just reject the idea of gods as well?
A God, Buddha, Dao or other deities would not hate you, disrespect you or give you a hard time for not believing in them. they simply leave you alone. They don't attach to that you do not believe in them

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
A God, Buddha, Dao or other deities would not hate you, disrespect you or give you a hard time for not believing in them. they simply leave you alone. They don't attach to that you do not believe in them
I suppose I should feel honoured to speak to the appointed spokesperson of "God, Buddha, Dao or other deities," but in future, maybe establish that a deity exists first before you attempt to speak for it.

That wouldn't be enough for me to accept that you really do know what that deity thinks, but it would be a good first step towards that goal.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I suppose I should feel honoured to speak to the appointed spokesperson of "God, Buddha, Dao or other deities," but in future, maybe establish that a deity exists first before you attempt to speak for it.

That wouldn't be enough for me to accept that you really do know what that deity thinks, but it would be a good first step towards that goal.
I speak not for others than my self and my understanding of what Buddha Sakyamuni teaches us. And he was never put off by nonbelievers. He accepted that they did not believe his words,

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.

He also doesn't speak for me. As a Buddhist, i believe the Buddha was a man. Not a deity.

I speak not for others than my self and my understanding of what Buddha Sakyamuni teaches us. And he was never put off by nonbelievers. He accepted that they did not believe his words,

He also didn't tell anyone he's a deity, so maybe don't imply that next time? :D

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Well, depends on how you define god. What do you mean, a deity?

Anyway, if a deity, I don't think I'd call this scientific but god is shaped and defined by one's culture. It does not exist isolated on its own. So, if you want to find the evidence of god you have to understand it by the culture in which that particular god is. For example, if you're christian, god is shaped by the definition of jesus christ. Islam, there is no division. God is shaped through practice and culture so is Judaism. In other outside faiths, god would be shaped and defined by manifestations. From non-abrahamic faiths, god is rather than shaped by life itself.

Scientific? Um. Beakers and chemicals? Oh. I have a video on this.

How does the brain function during prayer, meditation, and trance states? Andrew Newberg has conducted hundreds of brain scans of people during these “enlightened” states and found unique patterns of brain activity. He has surveyed 2,000 people to find the essential elements of the enlightenment experience. With these findings, Andrew aims to help people find their own enlightenment, an experience that can radically change and improve your life.

-
That's the closest I can think of when it comes to scientific stuff. If you're looking for Zues like stuff for scientific evidence, you guys are looking for the wrong thing. Got to go deeper.