• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EVERYONE PLEASE WEIGH IN: If what you believed was wrong, would you want to know?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I know everything I believe is wrong or better limited because my limited intellect cannot perceive Truth in all its glory. An ant cannot understand the intellect of a human being.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I totally would want to know, ignorance is not bliss.
I'm not sure, when you put it that way, that any respondent is likely to say they will choose ignorance. ;)

But that is not how it happens in real life. We see all around us evidence of people who choose not to confront reality, whether it be climate change, or the reasons why Boeing's 737 Max crashed, or Trump's corruption.

What actually happens is that all of us live in a twilight world of competing claims about the nature of reality. We inevitably make choices about which claims seem, to us, to be credible. These choices are influenced by our social framework, other related beliefs, subconscious biases towards our own self-interest, and so on. A significant part of formal education is concerned with enabling people to be aware of these biases and correct for them. But even so, we are never immune to bias.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure, when you put it that way, that any respondent is likely to say they will choose ignorance. ;)

Yet many will choose ignorance, albeit unwittingly. But then again, there are those that will choose it willingly, but simply won't admit it.

But even so, we are never immune to bias.

Perhaps we won't be completely immune given our nature, but those who are aware of these biases have a much better chance of moving past them. :)

A Vestigial Mote

I would definitely want to know. As an atheist, I simply disbelieve all the claims about the realities of any God/gods. So to "know" would mean I would know the truth about all of that stuff instead. As it stands, I do not know. I have my suspicions, but my true stance is simply not knowing (and being extremely distrusting/skeptical of people who claim they DO know). To know would simply mean I would know the truth, regardless what that ends up being.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yet many will choose ignorance, albeit unwittingly. But then again, there are those that will choose it willingly, but simply won't admit it.

Perhaps we won't be completely immune given our nature, but those who are aware of these biases have a much better chance of moving past them. :)
Yes, and of course in science there is a formal system for trying to eliminate bias from observations of nature. In history it can't be formal, but students of the subject are taught the importance of different perspectives on the same issue.