• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Every OP I Don't Make is Not About Me

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I've experienced that some people think that every time I don't make an OP, it's about me. I've found that on RF, some people feel it's okay not to attack every OP I don't make.

So please, stop thinking every post I don't make is about me.

Do not discuss or debate this, because that's not what discussion and debate forums are for.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I've experienced that some people think that every time I don't make an OP, it's not about me. I've found that on RF, some people feel it's okay not to attack every OP I don't make.

Do not discuss or debate this, because that's not what discussion and debate forums are for.
I particularly enjoy your OPs that aren't about your attire.

Psalm23

I've experienced that some people think that every time I don't make an OP, it's about me. I've found that on RF, some people feel it's okay not to attack every OP I don't make.

One can't attack an Op you don't make unless it is a made up op. In that case it isn't your op.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Am I alone in sometimes wondering whether people who start threads like these (making fun of other threads) either:
  • Are your classic cyber-bullies?
  • Were themselves bullied at school and spend their digital lives paying the crap “forward”?
  • Have too much time on their hands and are bored?
  • Just have really odd sense of humour?
Like here for instance; what did @Seeker of White Light do to make @SalixIncendium feel that this was a good thread to start? That’s what I’d like to understand really.

Humbly
Hermit

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Am I alone in sometimes wondering whether people who start threads like these (making fun of other threads) either:
  • Were themselves bullied at school and spend their digital lives paying the crap “forward”?
Like here for instance; what did @Seeker of White Light do to make @SalixIncendium feel that this was a good thread to start? That’s what I’d like to understand really.

Humbly
Hermit

Are you familiar with the term "parody" by chance?

Audie

Veteran Member

Humbly
Hermit
What you don't understand is that a bit of
light hearted teasing serves a very important social function.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Are you familiar with the term "parody" by chance?

Dear SalixIncendium,

Traditionally, parodies are political/social statements, involving characters in social positions of power or fame. A “parody” about someone random, walking down the street, for example, is not a parody; it’s a public ****-take of an innocent person.

No matter how much you and others attempt to dress your behaviour up as something else, all you’re really doing is having fun at someone else’s expense. And term for that, I’m afraid, is not “parody” - that’s is called bullying.

Humbly
Hermit

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
For the one who’s thread you’re making fun of or for you…? I suspect it’s more a question of bad manners and bad habit.

I don't judge people and I certainly don't make fun of them. I make light of situations and I enjoy making people laugh.

Before you judge another, take a look at yourself. Maybe you're taking life a bit too seriously.

If you have a problem with something I wrote, confront me directly. Enough with the passive aggressive comments.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Dear SalixIncendium,

Traditionally, parodies are political/social statements, involving characters in social positions of power or fame. A “parody” about someone random, walking down the street, for example, is not a parody; it’s a public ****-take of an innocent person.

No matter how much you and others attempt to dress your behaviour up as something else, all you’re really doing is having fun at someone else’s expense. And term for that, I’m afraid, is not “parody” - that’s is called bullying.

Humbly
Hermit

So glad you finally decided to address me directly.

Perhaps before you expound about what parodies are, perhaps you would do well to look up the definition. I think you are confusing parody with satire. Here, let me save you some legwork:

Definition of PARODY

I'm sorry if you were once bullied, and, as a result, perceive some light-hearted banter as bullying. I know you are just trying to defend @Seeker of White Light, but he and I have had many exchanges and have been friends here for quite some time since he first joined under another moniker. Perhaps you would do well to learn a bit more about people and their rapport with one another before passing judgment on them.

All the best. :)

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
I don't judge people and I certainly don't make fun of them. I make light of situations and I enjoy making people laugh.
Before you judge another, take a look at yourself. Maybe you're taking life a bit too seriously.
If you have a problem with something I wrote, confront me directly. Enough with the passive aggressive comments.

I believe that’s what I’m doing, SalixIncendium: confronting you. No?

I’m upfront saying to you that what you’re doing is not funny. Especially because you know (as does everyone else on here who’s ever read a post by them) that doing “parody” of @Seeker of White Light ’s posts is not something they find particularly “funny” themselves. Right?

So, here’s a question (for you and your little bully-mates): why is it okay -encouraged by others, even- to publicly have fun at someone else’s expense?

If someone is too serious for your liking, then why not just “walk away” instead? You don’t see me gathering up all serious people on here and publicly making fun of your posts, because “you’re not serious enough for me”, do you?

Threads like this one server one purpose and one purpose only: to collectively make fun of someone else. And I very much hope I’m not alone in finding that pretty bloody tasteless.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I believe that’s what I’m doing, SalixIncendium: confronting you. No?

I’m upfront saying to you that what you’re doing is not funny. Especially because you know (as does everyone else on here who’s ever read a post by them) that doing “parody” of @Seeker of White Light ’s posts is not something they find particularly “funny” themselves. Right?

So, here’s a question (for you and your little bully-mates): why is it okay -encouraged by others, even- to publicly have fun at someone else’s expense?

If someone is too serious for your liking, then why not just “walk away” instead? You don’t see me gathering up all serious people on here and publicly making fun of your posts, because “you’re not serious enough for me”, do you?

Threads like this one server one purpose and one purpose only: to collectively make fun of someone else. And I very much hope I’m not alone in finding that pretty bloody tasteless.
I have nothing unspoken with @SalixIncendium :) but my track record of reacting negativity to certain comments or parody of my own OP, s may speak for it self.
So at this moment i can't blame @SalixIncendium for joking with and my OP:)

But in general I agree with you too @Hermit Philosopher that one should be careful about making parody of people who may react like i have done up to just a few months/weeks ago.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Suspect away, it says more about the suspector than the suspected.

Yes, I don’t like bullies.
When I worked with children in schools, I had zero bully-tolerance. I still do.
If I spot anybody, anywhere having fun at someone else’s expense publicly, they will be publicly confronted and their motives will be openly questioned by me.

That is the only way to tackle this sort of crap and I don’t think others should silently sit and let some people believe that what they are doing is “funny” when they’re doing it at the expense of another.