• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Every country should be run by secular governments

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Then when people are still killing each other over material things you can look bak and say, "hmm, maybe it wasn't religion after all".
I would not say that "it is religion" myself. I do not oppose religion as such.

Secularism as I understand it is not about opposing religion, either. Rather, it is about making sure that the private matter that is religion does not overstep its boundaries and becomes public policy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Then when people are still killing each other over material things you can look bak and say, "hmm, maybe it wasn't religion after all".
It would ultimately be one less thing that needlessly divides people, and one less thing repressing and killing people, one less reason and excuse to provide justification for acts of evil. And when you look at it, the more secular we have become, overall, the less killing we have been doing. No more witch trials, no more holy wars and Crusades, no more spreading the Cross because we stopped really taking it seriously centuries ago and began to question and doubt it.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
It would ultimately be one less thing that needlessly divides people, and one less thing repressing and killing people, one less reason and excuse to provide justification for acts of evil. And when you look at it, the more secular we have become, overall, the less killing we have been doing. No more witch trials, no more holy wars and Crusades, no more spreading the Cross because we stopped really taking it seriously centuries ago and began to question and doubt it.
Who is this "we" that began to question and doubt the cross centuries ago? My bible says people have been questioning and doubting it from the beginning, while others believed. Just because you're on the side of the questioning and doubting doesn't mean it needlessly divides people to those who believe. But as for the holy wars and witch burning you might want to blame the popes and freemasons.

That is a bad misjudgement if I ever saw one.

So we have the most murderous century ever.
The bloodiest war ever, started by the actions of a secular nationalist party.
The 2 most murderous regimes ever, both secular.
The first nation to industrialise a genocide, secular.

If you forget your ideology and preconceived assumptions and simply look at the facts, can you explain precisely how 20th C secularism actually led to a reduction in violence?

Kelly of the Phoenix

And at some point, we'll realize many religions claim to be "saviors" to the planet, but haven't really fixed anything in the centuries or millennia they've been around ...

Kemosloby

Premium Member
And at some point, we'll realize many religions claim to be "saviors" to the planet, but haven't really fixed anything in the centuries or millennia they've been around ...
Which one claims that? Before you answer I'll tell you, Jesus claims to be "Savior" to the human soul. "the resurrection and the life" on the last day. When he wipes the earth clean with fire and creates a new heaven and earth for them. The bible never even gives the impression that it intends to fix this world, to the contrary it has no hope for this world and eventually it will be utterly destroyed and replaced.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Which one claims that? Before you answer I'll tell you, Jesus claims to be "Savior" to the human soul. "the resurrection and the life" on the last day. When he wipes the earth clean with fire and creates a new heaven and earth for them. The bible never even gives the impression that it intends to fix this world, to the contrary it has no hope for this world and eventually it will be utterly destroyed and replaced.
"The bible never even gives the impression that it intends to fix this world, to the contrary it has no hope for this world"

It is fault of the Bible, not of Jesus.
Jesus was not a pessimistic human person. One got him wrong. Please
Regards

Kelly of the Phoenix

If you have to raze the place to the ground, clearly you lack the skill to just repair the damage.

Jesus: I have a shirt and a button came off. I'm going to burn the entire shirt and go buy a new one instead...

Kemosloby

Premium Member
If you have to raze the place to the ground, clearly you lack the skill to just repair the damage.

Jesus: I have a shirt and a button came off. I'm going to burn the entire shirt and go buy a new one instead...
So all your whining about the world can be compared to a shirt button coming off?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
"The bible never even gives the impression that it intends to fix this world, to the contrary it has no hope for this world"

It is fault of the Bible, not of Jesus.
Jesus was not a pessimistic human person. One got him wrong. Please
Regards
Or the bible is truth and those who say this world is perfect like heaven are liars. Jesus is not pessimistic, Jesus is truth.