• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ever seen a therapist?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I trained to be a therapist but never really practiced it (I wound up with computers).

Along the way my wife and I saw a marriage counselor who was very helpful. And I had various experiences because our understanding was that to be a therapist, knowing what it felt like as a patient was extremely helpful.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
As someone with mental illness I have seen therapists on and off since I was 12.

I wouldn't talk to my first therapist and he diagnosed me with social anxiety due to this. My second therapist was a psychologist and really did not like me at all. Then, after I became an adult I saw a different therapist who would talk to me then talk to my mom and gossip about me to her.

More recently, I had a stocky bald therapist who allowed me to express myself while I was with him, but he gave me terrible advice, like it was okay to go off my medication when it obviously wasn't. Briefly I had a therapist that encouraged me to play in sand, which didn't help me at all. Then I got a couple of therapists from a nearby clinic. My first therapist from there was amazing and he was very intelligent and had a lot of things to say, but he retired.

The guy I'm seeing now, the second guy from the same clinic, really doesn't have anything to say to me and mostly forces me to do most of the talking while I'm there with him. I guess in a way talking to him is cathartic, like it was when the stocky bald therapist. But I don't feel like I can have an actual conversation with him most of the time.

I'm actually supposed to see this guy today in a few hours. He gives me the option to see him in person, do virtual or a phone call. He's flexible that way and that helps me. But besides being a little cathartic for me I don't know how else he can help me. :shrug:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Has anyone here ever seen a therapist? Had therapy?

If so, was it worth it? What did you get out of it? What happened?

For how long did you have it, and how frequently?

It has been suggested to me that seeing one would do me a world of good

I've been in Therapy for the past 7 years. It has done me a world of good.

I recommend it if you are willing to do the work to improve yourself.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Yes, I have been in counseling off and on for over 35 years, for various reasons....
I am presently back in counseling since I am going through many life adjustments...
Not all counselors are that good, but a good counselor is worth his or her weight in gold. I have a good counselor now.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've had a few. They've mostly been ****s who didn't listen, didn't care, used me for easy hours, and have wanted to insert their own **** morality judgements against me (like the one who told me it's "usually problematic," in regards to me learning about my own ancestors).
I've only had one who didn't objective suck. It's to the point I've felt better without because it's at least one less obligation and I'm saving time by not repeatedly doing something that just hasn't worked or been worth it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'm schooled in this field, but the rotten people who plague it along with the pathetic pay that isn't worth all the extra responsibilities have pushed me away from it.
I finally decided it would not be worth all the responsibility to break out into a new field where the starting pay would be much less than I was making, so I remained in my field and I am glad I did. I would not have been a good counselor anyway.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think it's very difficult to find a good therapist.
Most tend to listen to you, without any feedback. Zero feedback.
If you ask for an opinion about something, they won't answer.

Well...I can also talk to the mirror...it's much cheaper.

If psychologists think that being a therapist is listening to the patient, without saying a word, anyone can do it, and you need no degree.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Yes. On and off for years; for me, for hubby and me, for our son, for us and our son. Helpful for hubby and I but our son never liked it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I have had ones like that, and the therapist before the one I have now was like that, he just let me ramble on and on and never said anything much. Thankfully, the therapist I have now does not let me talk on and on, she keeps me on task and really tries to help.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Well...I can also talk to the mirror...it's much cheaper.

If psychologists think that being a therapist is listening to the patient, without saying a word, anyone can do it, and you need no degree.
Client centred therapy. Let the client come to their own conclusion.
If you don't like it, change the therapist - or engage them.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Client centred therapy. Let the client come to their own conclusion.
If you don't like it, change the therapist - or engage them.
I psychoanalyze my therapists, as well, during session.
I am much better than them, sometimes.
Because once I told this psychologist: "I am remarking that whenever I talk about my sex life, you seem bothered. As if you felt embarrassed talking about sex".
And she "that's true. But how did you find out?"
And I: "I can read people's minds".