• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever notice that all plants and animals have a left/right mirror image?

Cooky

Veteran Member
If you draw a line from the middle of your forehead, to your crotch, your left and right sides are mirror images. Same with all animals, and pretty much with plants too.

Why?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Electrical energy, for example, is not symmetrical.

ChiefSeveralAvocet-max-1mb.gif

View attachment 25452

Last edited by a moderator:

Skwim

Veteran Member
It seems like every single form of life that exists is symmetrical in some way. Is everything?
It may seem that way, but it's not true. Simply consider sponges.

"A sponge is a member of the phylum Porifera. It is a simple animal with many cells, but no mouth, muscles, heart or brain. It is sessile: it cannot move from place to place the way most other animals can. A sponge is an animal that grows in one spot like most plants do. Nevertheless, sponges are quite successful."
Source: Wikipedia

Sponge.png

And in answer to your title question, "Ever notice that all plants and animals have a left/right mirror image?" one can point out those that do have symmetry, but not bilateral (left/right mirror) symmetry.
main-qimg-d6d70006fd8c11bee38db95f0b442154

Last edited:

Axe Elf

Prophet
Actually, the symmetry of which you speak is only approximate.

If you put a mirror perpendicular to your face so that you see two right sides of your face comprising a whole face, and then turn the mirror around so that you see two left sides of your face comprising a whole face, the two "faces" will appear to be quite different.

symmetrical-faces-2.png

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

If you put a mirror perpendicular to your face so that you see two right sides of your face comprising a whole face, and then turn the mirror around so that you see two left sides of your face comprising a whole face, the two "faces" will appear to be quite different.

symmetrical-faces-2.png
My right calf looks like Wile E. Coyote's after he slammed an entire box of leg vitamins, my left calf is just average...

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It may seem that way, but it's not true. Simply consider sponges.

"A sponge is a member of the phylum Porifera. It is a simple animal with many cells, but no mouth, muscles, heart or brain. It is sessile: it cannot move from place to place the way most other animals can. A sponge is an animal that grows in one spot like most plants do. Nevertheless, sponges are quite successful."
Source: Wikipedia

And in answer to your title question, "Ever notice that all plants and animals have a left/right mirror image?" one can point out those that do have symmetry, but not bilateral (left/right mirror) symmetry.
main-qimg-d6d70006fd8c11bee38db95f0b442154

Thank you for doing at least a little science, a little reality. Refreshing for me...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

symmetrical-faces-2.png
I remember reading an article somewhere once, I think a psychology mag , that implies that the the left side of the face projects a false image of your character while the right side projects the true image of your "hidden" character of who you really are and like.

The woman on the picture projects and images of pleasantness and serenity on the left as being the "false front", while the right side projects her "true" character of what type of person she actually is.

It got me for a long time going through celebrity rags with a pocket mirror testing this out on all the celebrities I could find.

The results were kind of shocking!! !0]

Axe Elf

Prophet
I remember reading an article somewhere once, I think a psychology mag , that implies that the the left side of the face projects a false image of your character while the right side projects the true image of your "hidden" character of who you really are and like.

The woman on the picture projects and images of pleasantness and serenity on the left as being the "false front", while the right side projects her "true" character of what type of person she actually is.

Sounds like a bunch of pop psychobabble (i.e., hoohaw) to me, like that "right-brained, left-brained" crap.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sounds like a bunch of pop psychobabble (i.e., hoohaw) to me, like that "right-brained, left-brained" crap.
Maybe. But I got to tell you , it was loads of fun to get the inside scoop on people's "true" personalities.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
It seems like every single form of life that exists is symmetrical in some way. Is everything? Mountains kind of are. The earth is...

...Maybe that's the main quality of matter.
No, not all life is symmetrical, but I don't think mountains are...pretty much, if you slice the earth through the center from any direction, it would appear broadly symmetrical, but in detail it would not be (unless that's what meant by radially symmetrical...but that's not in the biological sense)...some things (stars, planets, galaxies) seem fairly symmetrical, but star clusters, clouds and bodies of water are not...

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Not all creatures have a bilateral body structure. univalves and sectioned creatures like starfish. Molds, amoeba, uni and simple multicellular organisms also have asymmetrical body shapes. Plenty of creatures out there that arent a mirror of the other half.