• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever lived in what you would consider a slum?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I like to get on the train that goes back and forth from Minneapolis to St Paul at night where all the homeless people gather to stay warm. I asked some Muslims where is the most dangerous neighborhood I can get off at.

I kid you not, the stop they mentioned was called the WestBank. I held my sign and made two dollars and some coffee. Other than people wearing **** Donald Trump hats and urinating in public, nothing really odd to say about it lol.

Some like to go to dangerous places for the same reason I like spiders. If you face your fear, you can fall in love with your fear and literally eliminate the phobia 100℅. It can be euphoric.

Have you ever lived in a slum? Have you ever been homeless? Anything you liked or disliked about it?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I like to get on the train that goes back and forth from Minneapolis to St Paul at night where all the homeless people gather to stay warm. I asked some Muslims where is the most dangerous neighborhood I can get off at.

I kid you not, the stop they mentioned was called the WestBank. I held my sign and made two dollars and some coffee. Other than people wearing **** Donald Trump hats and urinating in public, nothing really odd to say about it lol.

Some like to go to dangerous places for the same reason I like spiders. If you face your fear, you can fall in love with your fear and literally eliminate the phobia 100℅. It can be euphoric.

Have you ever lived in a slum? Have you ever been homeless? Anything you liked or disliked about it?

I was homeless after my parents abandoned me. Police eventually picked me up and put me in a home for troubled teens.

I didn't have the self awareness at the time to like or dislike it, however I did walk through an affluent neighborhood and saw a family sit down together for dinner, through the windows. They were laughing, all happy. I wondered what it'd be like to be part of such a family.

Otherwise you just deal with the life that gets handed to you, best you can. Managed to make enough right choices to survive so far. Unfortunately my sister didn't. She was a better person than I was. Nice caring. Doubt she ever said a mean word to anyone.

I can understand the need to face your fears. I hated being afraid, hated my emotions having that kind of control over me, so I forced myself into a position to deal with them.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Yes, I lived in poverty stricken low income areas for a large part of my life (the first 30 years). I have been homeless twice during that stretch (for about 6 months per) and climbed back out of it. I didn't like anything about it, which is what kept motivating me to improve my situation. It's what keeps me motivated to sustain/continue to improve. Living that way is miserable, and I don't understand how anyone can stomach it and refuse to get themselves out of the situation. I understand some can't, due to mental/physical disability and other me extenuating circumstances. But I know plenty that relish in being trash, and want nothing more for their life, and it is sad.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yes, I lived in poverty stricken low income areas for a large part of my life (the first 30 years). I have been homeless twice during that stretch (for about 6 months per) and climbed back out of it. I didn't like anything about it, which is what kept motivating me to improve my situation. It's what keeps me motivated to sustain/continue to improve. Living that way is miserable, and I don't understand how anyone can stomach it and refuse to get themselves out of the situation. I understand some can't, due to mental/physical disability and other me extenuating circumstances. But I know plenty that relinquish in being trash, and want nothing more for their life, and it is sad.

I actually wouldn't mind being homeless again. In fact I met a couple, and homelessness was their ideal situation. No rent, no bills. Go wherever they wanted to go. Of course they weren't stuck in a slum either. Homeless by choice.

Got people depending on me now though so got to make sure everyone is taken care of. Matthew 6:28, there was a time I saw this as the ideal Christian position.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

I have lived in Oaklawn, Illinois where I'd rented a small apartment that was too close to crime infested areas for my comfort. One of my greatest joys was working for the National Runaway Safeline helping reunite runaway homeless teenagers with their families. ....:)

Another crap-hole place where I lived was in a mobile home park, there were car ports instead of garages, I kid you not, people there left their worn out tires, broken down grills, refrigerators, washers or dryers out on their tiny little yards where weeds instead of beautiful green grass lawns abundantly grew. I hated being poor white trash, fortunately for me, my inheritance from my dearly departed grandfather had gotten me out of that situation. ...:)

Last edited:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I actually wouldn't mind being homeless again. In fact I met a couple, and homelessness was their ideal situation. No rent, no bills. Go wherever they wanted to go. Of course they weren't stuck in a slum either. Homeless by choice.

Got people depending on me now though so got to make sure everyone is taken care of. Matthew 6:28, there was a time I saw this as the ideal Christian position.

I wouldn't mind doing a Hobo trip again maybe sometime. That is enjoyable so long as it's on my terms, and I can exit from it at will. Being stuck that way with no way out ends the fun though.

Last edited:

Flame

Beware

Two of my best friends, a married couple, are homeless by choice. They are heavily involved in the folk punk scene and make most of their money through busking. They love it and wouldn't trade it for anything.

PureX

Veteran Member
I have not been homeless, but have lived in some very tough neighborhoods in Chicago. I have passed through some areas, there, that were so bad that had I been on foot, I could easily have been killed even in daylight. I understand wanting to face a phobia. I do not understand putting oneself in harms way, deliberately. I think it's just another way of getting 'high', and I'm not at all impressed by that BS, as you know.

Jumi

I understand some can't, due to mental/physical disability and other me extenuating circumstances. But I know plenty that relish in being trash, and want nothing more for their life, and it is sad.
I believe what many of those that "relish being trash" do is a coping mechanism. It's just the way human psyche works, if you can't work your way out, in the long run you need to embrace the terrible condition you're in. My country cleared out almost all homeless, they don't go back if you just give them something stable for a while. It's great for society and public safety.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Northern England. All my life.

Makes you hate London more than anything, where all the money stays, and even then only in the western half.