1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured ever encountered a cult?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Eddi, Jan 19, 2023.

1. InChrist

InChrist Free4ever

Ratings:
    +2,961
    Religion:
    Christian
    I suppose it depends. Some denominations require baptism into their church for one to receive salvation and eternal life; contrary to the scriptures because these are received through faith in Christ alone. I’d say these type of denominations are cults.
    Other denominations only encourage baptism as a step of faith “after” one has already placed their faith in Christ and received salvation and eternal life in Him …not their denomination.
    Big difference.

#61 InChrist, Jan 24, 2023 at 11:15 PM
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023 at 6:27 PM
  2. GardenLady

GardenLady Active Member

Ratings:
    +557
    Religion:
    ELCA Lutheran
    I have left the RCC for a variety of reasons, but I don't think your take on it reflects the reality of the RCC position. There are those who see the role of the priest as mediator, but that is not a correct interpretation. The designated role of the priest is consistent with scripture in many ways, for example, Jesus' words "whose sins you forgive they are forgiven" and James' epistle, stating that there is sin that leads to death ("mortal" sin) and sin that does not lead to death ("venial" sin), etc.. And to quote a Catholic priest who I was taught by, "The only "work" that saves is the work Christ did on the cross." I have many issues with the RCC (hence my departure) but the idea that there is one mediator, Jesus, is not one of them.

3. 1213

1213 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,060
    Religion:
    Disciple of Jesus

Latest and worst cults that I know are the Covid cult and Climate change cult. Both are against freedom and basic human rights. And it is very sad that world leaders seem to be part of them both.

4. idea

idea Question Everything

Ratings:
    +1,325
    Religion:
    spiritual, not religious
    Not just any baptism, but baptism by some male who *has the proper authority*. Sprinkle or dunked? Infant or 8 years old? Their baptism is wrong, only our groups rituals will save you! Haha, and so the male power heirarchy begins.

...there was a time people hid their children to avoid paying taxes.. to find the children, the church's baptism records were collected.

Jonathan Edwards (1703–1758) "The road to hell is paved with the skulls of unbaptized babies"

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +21,749
    Religion:
    scientifically-oriented Catholic
    You ignore what Jesus said in the Sermon On the Mount and the Parable of the Sheep & Goats that mostly deal with how we act in response to the Gospel versus just having p,c, beliefs.

And in Catholicism, we are taught not to judge as that's God's role and not yours. Jesus said "... judge ye not...", but it's obvious that's fallen on your deaf ears.

IOW, "Physician, heal thyself".

6. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,743
    Religion:
    Christian
    My wife and I attended a Moonie meeting. The preacher was saying that sex is a sin. My wife was quite distressed. I had to explain to her that it was not a sin in itself and certainly not within marriage most of the time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,743
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe attending an SBC church has not altered my ability to believe different things. I do like that the church sticks to its beliefs on morality.

8. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,743
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe even the Jews of Paul's encounter referred to it as a sect.

9. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Registered People sTabber

Ratings:
    +41,379
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Sticking to its beliefs on morality means upholding the racism and pro-segregation and pro-Aparthied views they taught me.
    Did you know the Southern Baptist Church only exists because it supported slavery and split from the mainstream Baptists who did not. It means denying science, traumatizing kids with the doctrine of Hell, saying everyone but Southern Baptists are going to Hell and sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sand Dancer

Sand Dancer Crazy Cat Lady

Ratings:
    +5,006
    Religion:
    Quaker
    If sex is a sin, how should we propagate the species?

11. GardenLady

GardenLady Active Member

Ratings:
    +557
    Religion:
    ELCA Lutheran
    Yes, a college friend joined a church where only full emersion in Jesus' name (not Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) was acceptable.

12. GardenLady

GardenLady Active Member

Ratings:
    +557
    Religion:
    ELCA Lutheran
    I believe you are grossly mistaken in both of these areas.

13. idea

idea Question Everything

Ratings:
    +1,325
    Religion:
    spiritual, not religious
    Frustrating when friends and family get pulled away

14. InChrist

InChrist Free4ever

Ratings:
    +2,961
    Religion:
    Christian
    I hope you don’t actually believe Jesus meant we are not to have discernment or judge between true and false or right and wrong. We would all be in big trouble if we didn’t make any kind of judgments concerning spiritual matters, as well as practical life situations.
    Context is very important…

“Judge not lest you be judged” is a snippet from Christ’s great Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:3—7:27). In Matthew 7, Jesus turns to the topic of judging others. Sadly, the passage is one of the most misunderstood and misapplied teachings in Scripture by believers and non-believers alike. In his commentary on Matthew, Stuart Weber gives this excellent summary of the correct meaning of Matthew 7:1: “Do not judge others until you are prepared to be judged by the same standard. And then, when you exercise judgment toward others, do it with humility” (Holman New Testament Commentary, Vol. 1, p. 96).

When Jesus said, “Judge not lest you be judged,” He wasn’t issuing a blanket rule that people are never to judge others. A closer look at the rest of the passage illuminates the real issue Christ wanted to address: “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged. And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own? How can you think of saying to your friend, ‘Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye” (Matthew 7:1–3, NLT).

Christ’s teaching was primarily directed to believers, but the principle can be applied to anyone. Jesus does expect us to “deal with the speck” in our friend’s eye, particularly our brothers and sisters in Christ. He wants us to discern sin in others so we can help them get rid of it. The purpose of judging someone else’s weakness is to help him or her walk in freedom (1 Corinthians 5:12). But how can we help someone else if we are not free? We must first be willing to look honestly at our own lives and exercise the same judgment toward ourselves. When we do this, we judge from a position of humility.

Jesus’s statement to “judge not lest you be judged” zeroed in on the problems of spiritual hypocrisy and self-centered pride. He compared these offenses to giant logs that blind us to our own faults while we laser in on shortcomings in others.

Humility is a mega theme throughout Christ’s Sermon on the Mount. It is impossible to carry out these kingdom teachings without maintaining authentic humbleness in our attitude toward others. In Matthew 5:7–11, Jesus encouraged His followers to show mercy, cultivate peace, and bless those who persecute them. To enter the kingdom of heaven, Jesus said that our righteousness had to exceed that of the teachers of the religious law and Pharisees (Matthew 5:20).”

What does it mean to judge not lest you be judged (Matthew 7:1)? | GotQuestions.org

15. InChrist

InChrist Free4ever

Ratings:
    +2,961
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thank you for sharing your experience and perspective.

16. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +21,749
    Religion:
    scientifically-oriented Catholic
    Yes, there's a difference between the two, but to declare certain Christian denominations as not being true Christians falls into the "not a true Scotsman" fallacy, plus it shows that you're really not that familiar with the history of the early Church.