• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever been to an insane asylum?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I have been to plenty, but it seems like once you graduate or discharge from one asylum, it's another that follows, and the "normal people" , even therapists and Doctors , are not my idea of what I would define as sane.

(Just look at the founder of modern Psychology and his theories and I think you get what I mean? )

Maybe everyone doesn't qualify as insane, but tool sang a great song about the world being a "three ring circus sideshow.". I found it to describe the condition of the world and humanity quite well!

Anyway, ever been to an "insane asylum"? (This is in the joke section :D )

Jokers , clowns, circus side-show freaks, or serious responses are welcome! :)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I have been to plenty, but it seems like once you graduate or discharge from one asylum, it's another that follows, and the "normal people" , even therapists and Doctors , are not my idea of what I would define as sane.

(Just look at the founder of modern Psychology and his theories and I think you get what I mean? )

Maybe everyone doesn't qualify as insane, but tool sang a great song about the world being a "three ring circus sideshow.". I found it to describe the condition of the world and humanity quite well!

Yes I have been admitted to several psych wards over the past 38 years.

Even had a spiritual awakening while on one hospitalisation.

Here's a little poem I wrote maybe 23 years ago -

One Man's Heaven

I write this little poem as I sit
I'm in Acacia ward until I split
Surrounded by the maddest folk
It is the sweetest, most ironic joke

I'm actually living in another world
Where dreams and magic are unfurled
The people in here have no greed or hate
They all have learned the way to wait

Waiting for the coming of the sun
Knowing they are truly all one
We laugh along with all the staff
My best mate thinks he's a giraffe

I gladly watch over these fragile souls
Some think their minds are full of holes
They cannot handle the jungle outside
This is their refuge where they can hide

They hide not from themselves of course
We are all connected to one pure source
Our hearts and minds have merged with each other
I call every one in here my soul-brother

If you want to join us, please feel free
It really is the best place to be
Surrounded by such understanding
You'll find we are never ever demanding

You'll never know who you might meet
If you take a walk down our secret street
Please visit us if you get the chance
We may even teach your soul to dance

Cheers!

:)

We Never Know

No Slack

Does being at Walmart count :D

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I have been detained on a psychiatric ward on three different occasions

Twice in 2004 and once in 2016

I have fond memories of my times on various psych wards

I'd be happy to go back to one

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Just as long as you don't end up being a human centipede.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
While working as an electrician years ago I got quite a few electric shocks. Never been the same since. :p

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Part of my studies in psychology was volunteering at a California State Mental Hospital. It's true that some go into psychology because of their inner issues but some are wonderful people.

The so-called inmates helped me a lot one day. In a group therapy session they turned on me and nailed me for my "hiding" in the staff observation room because I did not feel comfortable among them. I owned up to doing just that and learned that "inmates" can be better therapists than therapists sometimes.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Waiting for the coming of the sun
Knowing they are truly all one
We laugh along with all the staff
My best mate thinks he's a giraffe

That is a wonderful poem and had a really great chuckle at the giraffe line. That poem should be published.

exchemist

Veteran Member

No need. I'm a member of RF :D.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Not as a "guest" but I've visited a family member who has enjoyed such hospitality a few times. Last place I would want to end up in a mental crisis if I'm honest.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I went to one when as part of a sociology study group from school,quite shocking back then,I hope they have improved as it was worse than “one flew over the cuckoo’s nest”.

I have been to Broadmoor hospital to act in a play for the high security patients,really weird and even to go to the toilet a guard stood outside,scary scary place,the cast were invited to have dinner with the patients,paper plates and plastic forked and the widest dinner table I’ve ever seen,the actress sitting next to me and leaned forward looking at the inmates as she call them and I’ll never forget what she said “hey,they look normal but they’re not” all could hear what she said,I could not look at the other side of the table.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Yes. I used to visit my late wife in the UK's special research psychiatric unit on London 1979-1982. The staff tended to be very strange in different ways and also were elitist towards visitors and patients .
Yes. I used to visit my late wife at the county psychiatric hospital 1977-1979 and 1982-1986 and the staff were seeningly more normal but the resident psychiatrist got convicted of multiple rapes and was sentenced to 8 years prison...today he would have got life.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

My friend used to end up in the psychiatric ward frequently when we were younger, due to self harm. I went and visited her while she was there pretty often. One time when we were there, a guy our age came and sat at the table with us. After my friend finished talking, he smiled and asked me "You're hot. Ever think of having yourself committed?" My favorite pick up line of all time...

Does being at Walmart count :D

Wal-Mart is much much worse....

People don't understand why I won't shop there, but if I did, I'd end up in the insane asylum for sure. That place drives me nuts.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
That is a wonderful poem and had a really great chuckle at the giraffe line. That poem should be published.

Thanks! I actually have written over 200 poems since first diagnosed.

Some have been published in Mental Health magazines down here in Oz.

I also recently posted this one to the poetry section of this forum -

Epic poem I wrote many years ago just after I was first diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia

Nobody is more amazed than me - I had little interest in poetry at school. I was keen on maths & science.

Thanks for your support. Enjoy the rest of your browsing!

:)

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Many moons ago I worked in a residential establishment for schizophrenics. They were heavily medicated and didn't go out much, but I took a group of them out to the local pub to play snooker. It was like a beery East London version of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", we had a great time.

Viker

Häxan
I've spent a few months, as a kid, in a couple psych facilities. Being an awesome teenager came at a cost.