• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eve

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
It is a great gift because it created the human brain complete. I mean, God showed to humans paradise. But there is also the other side of the coin, the mundane. Eve with the fruit gave a new perspective, it completed the picture of existence. It made people take action. If there wasn't the fruit there would be stagnation.

I don't like how christians view satan. I see satan as a servant of God. God put the snake in the garden. God wanted to see his favorite humans full potential. And also, he wanted humans to choose him and paradise, and not having humans kept in paradise like pets.
OK... I would have to disagree since scripture says otherwise...

Jesus was sent to destroy the works of the Devil not to "give mankind a new perspective"

Yes, he wanted humans to choose him, true, but you don't have to disobey to choose him.

Ellen Brown

Eve gave humanity the greatest gift, she ate the fruit. But people think that this is an evil action. Why? We turn against Eve, our mother of humanity, and we act awful.

Mormons, and perhaps some others do not see Eve as having done wrong. I'm inclined to see the scripture surrounding "The Fall" as primitive man's way to explain something that he did not understand.

Reactions: syo

exchemist

Veteran Member
Eve gave humanity the greatest gift, she ate the fruit. But people think that this is an evil action. Why? We turn against Eve, our mother of humanity, and we act awful.
But we don't, surely? The Exultet speaks of "felix culpa" and this idea of a happy or fortunate fault, or fall, is found elsewhere too in religious thought. The Fall is not seen, in Christian tradition, as an unmitigated tragedy by any means.

Eve is to this day a popular name for girls and, to my mind at least, has attractive connotations of mystery, primal womanliness and, perhaps, a touch of mischief.

Eve, like Adam, is an allegorical figure representing us all, with our intelligence, curiosity and our susceptibility to temptation.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
True. But an untamed human is beneficial to the human psyche, so I like the legend of Lilith.
You went from Eve being evil, to Lilith... and not everyone is familiar with the legend of Lilith.

I'm still not arbitrarily agreeing that 'we think eve is evil'...
Who's we? I have never heard that Eve is evil. There might be the idea of evil, taking place, however 'eve is evil'?

David T

Premium Member
OK that's true for millions but who wrote the stories,how do we see how true those stories are or is it taken on faith that the storyteller spoke the truth.
What is the teller talking about exactly?, One does not have to" believe" it or not believe it that has has zero to do with the story actually.

Since we know factually Noahs ark is preliterate do preliterate peoples percieve like we do? I don't think so!!

You are reading an extremely old story reaching back further in time. Dont trust religion on this for petes sake.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
What is the teller talking about exactly?, One does not have to" believe" it or not believe it that has has zero to do with the story actually.

Since we know factually Noahs ark is preliterate do preliterate peoples percieve like we do? I don't think so!!

You are reading an extremely old story reaching back further in time. Dont trust religion on this for petes sake.

Oh I won't trust religion on this, it is an old story from myth but people do accept as true, an interesting story though.

siti

an untamed human is beneficial to the human psyche
I think that might be the point of the story...a struggling agricultural civilization trying to come to terms with itself and fondly holding in its collective reminiscences the unrealistic memory of times when its uncivilized ancestors simply lived "the good life" without question and amidst plenty, whilst they now had to strive in the sweat of their face to coax a living from the depleted resources of the soil they had overused in their geographically more settled but morally and socially more precarious "cities". If only they'd stayed in that blasted garden! Its about the tension between the innate innocence of the savage and the cultured inhumanity of civilization.

Reactions: syo

syo

You went from Eve being evil, to Lilith... and not everyone is familiar with the legend of Lilith.

I'm still not arbitrarily agreeing that 'we think eve is evil'...
Who's we? I have never heard that Eve is evil. There might be the idea of evil, taking place, however 'eve is evil'?
there is a saying in Orthodox history, in Byzantine times when an emperor said ''from woman comes evil'' meaning Eve is the mother of things evil. The response to the saying is ''from woman comes the best'' meaning Mary who gave birth to Jesus.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
where do you get that? do you at least admit that an omnipotent being could've prevented evil from entering the world if he wanted to?

It depends on what position you are viewing it as.

If we look at it with the Christian perspective, Jesus restored to man what man gave to Satan. Scripture says, and Jesus confirmed by his actions, "They shall cast out devils". Indeed, that is what the 70 said upon returning when they said "Even the devils are subject to your name".

So if Jesus restored what was man's from the beginning, then Adam had the authority to cast out the Serpent.

After all, God said, Ged 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

Dominion:
Definition
  1. to rule, have dominion, dominate, tread down
    1. (Qal) to have dominion, rule, subjugate
    2. (Hiphil) to cause to dominate

Adam didn't dominate, tread down or subjugate the devil. He let him have free reign. It wasn't God's job but rather Adam's job because the earth belonged to Adam

Michelle71

In the garden they become aware - conscious of self, seeing their own vulnerabilities, realizing the vulnerabilities of others. They were suddenly self conscious, knowing limitations, and seeing their own malevolence. Innocence fell and with that they fell short of "perfection".