• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eve fashioned from Adam's penis bone

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Which “Bone” Was Eve Made From?

The creation and Adam and Eve narratives are often said to be nice moral tales that convey spiritual truths. Being myth does not disqualify them from containing meaningful messages for modern readers.

So at wedding ceremonies and in sunday school classes bible-believers are regaled with the “beautiful story” of the God practising a bit of psychic surgery as his hand penetrates Adam’s side to pull out a rib which he used to create Eve.

And I suspect many theologians would prefer to keep it that way. Meaningful myth or symbol is sophisticated.

So what’s wrong with the rib meaning the rib?

First, the Hebrew word used for rib is tsela (צְלָעֹת), but this word never means ‘rib’ anywhere else in the Bible

It usually means ‘side’. In architecture, it is used of a side-room or cell, or of rafters or ceiling beams. “The common idea in all these different meanings seems to be that of a tangent or branch extending out from a central structure or body. Given this basic sense, Adam’s tsela would seem to refer to a “limb” or “appendage” — something that jutted out from his body.”

Second, the image of a rib does not fit with the etiological agenda of the larger story. This is a narrative chock full of origin-myths — tales explaining how things began: where humans came from, why snakes crawl, why people wear clothes, why women have labor pains, why marriage. But removing a rib from Adam and using it to create Eve explains nothing like this. Men don’t have one less rib than women.

Third, the story is full of allusions to human sexuality (being naked and unashamed; recognizing they are naked; covering their genitals), but the rib detail does not relate to any of the sexual differences between men and women. It stands out as something of an anomaly for this reason, too.

Fourth, the rib story does not leave us with being able to make very much of what is meant by God “closing up” the flesh afterwards. Genesis 2:21:
And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof
“Again, considering the etiological (explanatory) nature of the story, this statement seems intended to explain the existence of some suture- or scar-like mark on the torsos of human males that is not found on females. But there is no such mark on males – at least not near their ribs.” (p.5)

Hebrew Bible scholar, Ziony Zevit, suggests that the Hebrew tsela might really refer to the baculum. From that Wikipedia article:
In another, non scientific, context, it has been speculated that Adam’s “rib” mentioned in the Eden narrative of Creation really refers to the baculum. The Hebrew term translated as “rib” (tsela`) can also mean “side”, “chamber”, as well as any strut-like supporting structure, e.g. a beam or a tree trunk. The existence of the baculum is unlikely to escape the notice of pastoralisthunter-gatherer cultures . . . . , but there is no specific term for it – nor for the penis itself – in Biblical Hebrew.
The benefit of this explanation is that it matches the etiological nature of the Genesis story. We have an explanation for why humans, unlike just about all other male animal, lack a penis bone. It was removed by God in order to make Eve from it."
source

Kinda what I've always thought. :rolleyes:

Levite

Higher and Higher

The creation and Adam and Eve narratives are often said to be nice moral tales that convey spiritual truths. Being myth does not disqualify them from containing meaningful messages for modern readers.

So at wedding ceremonies and in sunday school classes bible-believers are regaled with the “beautiful story” of the God practising a bit of psychic surgery as his hand penetrates Adam’s side to pull out a rib which he used to create Eve.

And I suspect many theologians would prefer to keep it that way. Meaningful myth or symbol is sophisticated.

First, the Hebrew word used for rib is tsela (צְלָעֹת), but this word never means ‘rib’ anywhere else in the Bible

It usually means ‘side’. In architecture, it is used of a side-room or cell, or of rafters or ceiling beams. “The common idea in all these different meanings seems to be that of a tangent or branch extending out from a central structure or body. Given this basic sense, Adam’s tsela would seem to refer to a “limb” or “appendage” — something that jutted out from his body.”

Second, the image of a rib does not fit with the etiological agenda of the larger story. This is a narrative chock full of origin-myths — tales explaining how things began: where humans came from, why snakes crawl, why people wear clothes, why women have labor pains, why marriage. But removing a rib from Adam and using it to create Eve explains nothing like this. Men don’t have one less rib than women.

Third, the story is full of allusions to human sexuality (being naked and unashamed; recognizing they are naked; covering their genitals), but the rib detail does not relate to any of the sexual differences between men and women. It stands out as something of an anomaly for this reason, too.

Fourth, the rib story does not leave us with being able to make very much of what is meant by God “closing up” the flesh afterwards. Genesis 2:21:
And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof
“Again, considering the etiological (explanatory) nature of the story, this statement seems intended to explain the existence of some suture- or scar-like mark on the torsos of human males that is not found on females. But there is no such mark on males – at least not near their ribs.” (p.5)

Hebrew Bible scholar, Ziony Zevit, suggests that the Hebrew tsela might really refer to the baculum. From that Wikipedia article:
In another, non scientific, context, it has been speculated that Adam’s “rib” mentioned in the Eden narrative of Creation really refers to the baculum. The Hebrew term translated as “rib” (tsela`) can also mean “side”, “chamber”, as well as any strut-like supporting structure, e.g. a beam or a tree trunk. The existence of the baculum is unlikely to escape the notice of pastoralisthunter-gatherer cultures . . . . , but there is no specific term for it – nor for the penis itself – in Biblical Hebrew.
The benefit of this explanation is that it matches the etiological nature of the Genesis story. We have an explanation for why humans, unlike just about all other male animal, lack a penis bone. It was removed by God in order to make Eve from it."
source

It is inarguably true that "tzela" does not mean "rib," but "side." And in many, if not most, quality Jewish translations of late, it is so translated.

Yet it is also true that there was a midrash in the Talmud that speculated about whether the bone and flesh used to make Eve might have been the baculum and the foreskin from Adam's penis. That particular midrash has never really gained much popularity in Jewish tradition, but it does exist, so the idea is hardly novel.

I studied with Ziony Zevit in rabbinical school (and, man, that guy is a HARD grader, for the record), and I know he knows that midrash, and he referenced it when we studied Genesis in his class. That said, he was also noncommital about taking a stance on the intended meaning of the verse. In general, he's usually cautious about taking firm stances on the intended meanings of most verses, anyway, since in his thinking, there's a big gap between what we may suppose in exegesis and what we can prove in textual deconstruction. Might he propose the reading of Genesis that that one midrash gave? Sure. Does he actually think that that is the original intended meaning of the verse? Who can say? I can't, and I studied it with him....

Personally, I have to go with "tzela" meaning "side." Although the word does not appear in the Torah, the word "zayin" has meant "penis" since Biblical times. They might well have used it, had they meant it. There are also several common euphemisms for "penis" or "genitals" used throughout the Torah: why not have used one of those if that was the intended meaning? And "tzela" is used several times throughout the Torah, always meaning, more or less, "side." Why should it be different here?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

source

Now if he can show us someone with a penis on their side...

Or is the theory that Adam actually had two penises; the other one being on his side and the 'side' penis was used to make Eve?

Of course, the penis has no bones in it, so it would have been a rather funny thing to have on his side.

What is most interesting is that if Eve was made from a penis and heterosexual men envy women...
...wouldn't that mean that heterosexual men have penis envy?

A

angellous_evangellous

It wasn't "penis bone" but "pinkie toe."

Whatever the case, once she was created, she was destined to be smarter than man and rule him forever.

outhouse

Atheistically
I always thought the fruit eaten may have been sexual in nature

the myth is so out there, you can read allot of different information into it

bhaktajan

Oy, haven't you been going on & on about " penis bone " in every ther post?

Why alway with the penis bone ?

Try to curb your enthusiam with the penis bone resurfacing topic?

How about writting a haiku once in a while?

Or have I read too much into this?

Or am I having mass-dejavu?

But which came first? The Bone or the boneless?

This may explain why the chick ran across the road.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Oy, haven't you been going on & on about " penis bone " in every ther post?
Yes. It's embedded in them all, and considering they're written in a fairly arcane code I'm surprised you found them.
icon14.gif

Why alway with the penis bone ?
Well, just say it over and over out loud. "Penis bone. Penis bone. Penis bone. Penis bone." it has such a singing narcotic ring to it.

Try to curb your enthusiam with the penis bone resurfacing topic?
Question or statement? Sorry, but I can't tell.

How about writting a haiku once in a while?
Bone of my own
pensive penis
the separation, sorrowful
Or have I read too much into this?
Not at all.

Or am I having mass-dejavu?
Just a partial complex seizure me thinks

But which came first? The Bone or the boneless?
The scholars say the Bone, but then what do they know.

This may explain why the chick ran across the road.
To get a bone of its own?

As an intersexed person, engaged to another intersexed person, and knowing 211 other intersexed persons world wide, I stand to say that it was the VAGINA that Eve was created from.

“WHY?” you ask?

Because since even in nature there are hermaphrodites, and besides, how logical is it to create a human fully INCAPABLE of reproducing and ONLY THEN as an AFTERTHOUGHT think, “OOPS! I GOOFED! I better make this thing able to reproduce!”, there is only one place a “hole” in the flesh would be, and that would be where a VAGINA would have been.

Just as some flowers are self pollinating and others are not, humanity MAY have begun fully capable of unlimited self propagation as well.

I personally [as a matter of personal faith] believe that Yahweh is in fact neither male nor female, but if gender inclusive, a hermaphroditic being, which, when you think about it “Yahweh our father is ‘one’” that in and of its self fully supports this on its own, as well as many scriptures delineate Hir nature showing the FEMININE side where there is emotions of love, compassion, motherly tenderness and the likes.

You may disagree, but you can’t disprove me either.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Here are two reason why I think this is wrong:

1. Genesis 2:21 say "ויּקח אחת מצלעתיו". And He took one from his [צלע]s. The word is in plural. There were a bunch. G-d took one of them. If there was only one, it should have said, "ויּקח צלעו", and He took his צלע.

2. The way you want to define צלע will make the translation of Ex. 26:20 rather odd. "And the second צלע of the Tabernacle..."

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
OMG, I have never laughed so hard. You are all comic geniuses!
Here's what actually happened: Adam was masturbating frequently and fervently. God figured he'd better do something about it so he took away Adam's hard on by making a woman!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm not getting into this thread because the jokes that are now running through my mind, if I post them here, I probably would be banned for life eternal.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
I'm not getting into this thread because the jokes that are now running through my mind, if I post them here, I probably would be banned for life eternal.

You'll just get your post removed and a get stern warning from a moderator. I have more of those than I have frubals. Be brave!