• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evangelism as a means of authentication: An atheistic view of the psychology behind faith

Kemosloby

Premium Member
So the deluded one is not the guy who believes there is an omnipotent, invisible being watching over you with an empty seat at the table of eternal life for you and your Christian buddies?

That was a fairly disappointing defence to your faith though, Kemoslosby. Perhaps logic has stumped your philosophy? Is that why no counter-points were made to my thoughtful reply?

I certainly wouldn't become Christian from this weak exampled of evangelistic living. Isn't this your chance to give me eternal salvation? Enlighten me with your reasoning and perhaps I will join you at the eternal table one day. The alternative is hell. Up to you I guess.

Then again there really isn't any logic to back up your ideals, and that's the reason I have received no rebuttal from you. For you merely stand upon the principle of faith. Much like any other fictional book. Maybe you were born to believe in fairytales.

I don't like your attitude, you haven't inspired me enough to care. Some people are meant to go to the other place...

Grandliseur

Humanity has been plagued by an inescapable lack of meaning since its inception. When faced with such overwhelming lack of direction, we have sought to construct understandings of reality to explain and provide purpose to our lives, and as an extension, human existence.

Everything we hold important in society is given meaning purely because humans choose to give it meaning. Sports, arts, beauty, wealth, popularity, accomplishment, philosophy, morality ... the list is endless. And we, as humans, flock to these constructs and make new ones, creating an endless cycle of constructed meaning that ultimately defines our existence. Now, I am as guilty as anyone in this, and I don’t necessarily think it’s a detrimental behaviour. For civilization is built upon such constructs, and without them, life would be utterly empty. But an understanding of humanity’s proclivity to create meaning as a resolution to pervading meaningless can give us an insight into the psychology behind religion – perhaps the greatest meaning-providing construct of all time.

Indeed, religion directly provides an explanation for existence, with a clear path to follow through it and a neat resolution to tie off the bow. As such, religion is the perfect answer to humanity’s universal struggle to find direction and meaning. By answering questions of existence with an intangible and unreachable divine power, religion provides a world of unending rules, purpose and comfort.

For the sake of this discussion, let’s use Anglican Christianity as an example (Although this reasoning can be applied in various forms to most religions). By following the teachings of the Bible and devoting oneself to the worship of the omnipotent God, Christians are able to transcend our lowly reality and ascend to a perfect afterlife for eternity. An individual who fails to do so will ultimately descend to hell, to undergo eternal suffering instead.

Lets assume that this actually happens and will happen to all of us upon the day of reckoning. If Christians alone hold the secret to eternal life and evading eternal suffering, would it not be the life goal of each and every Christian to convert non-Christians to their faith and thus grant them salvation? If Christians truly believe that their non-Christian friends and family are heading directly for the eternal gates of hell, would they not do everything in their power to reach out their divine hand and pluck them from the fiery depths, thereby elevating them to a life of never ending perfection?

Because if Christianity is correct, then Christians are sitting in their holy life raft while non-Christians are unknowingly drowning in undying misery. Because if Christianity is correct, then Christians are going through life watching their fellow humans slowly succumb to eternal suffering

Now, if a Christian truly believed in their faith, they undeniably should do everything in their power to evangelise all those they care about and as much of humanity as they can. In fact, worldly pursuits such as education, wealth and family all pale in the face of the great eternal dichotomy and equaliser – nirvana or despair. Because 80 years on a flawed earth is less than a blink of an eye in comparison to eternity. Should truly faithful Christians not then devote themselves to this higher humanitarian cause at the cost of all else? This cause that outweighs everything in significance, value and practicality? And if they do not, are they merely selfish? Or evil? Or, more likely, do they not truly believe the teachings they devote themselves to?

Within all this, the only logical answer is for an authentic Christian to fervently pursue a life of evangelism. And for those who do, I have the utmost respect. For they are practicing their beliefs with full conviction and authenticity.

For the majority of Christians who don’t, I can only conclude that deep down, they have doubt about the veracity of their faith. That they cannot holistically believe the words of the bible they so vehemently recite and follow. That when it comes down to it, they know there is no afterlife, no divine salvation. That, like everyone else, they merely use their respective construct as a neat resolution to the inescapable meaningless that has plagued humanity since its inception. An expedient source of comfort, direction and purpose.

As such, if you’re a Christian who is dedicated to a life of evangelism, I applaud you.

If you’re a Christian who doesn’t, like most, then are you really a Christian at all?

Thoughts?
That was a lot.
2 Corinthians 4: 13 But having the same spirit of faith, according to that which is written, I believed, and therefore did I speak; we also believe, and therefore also we speak;​

While each has his or hers limitations, we are told that our faith will make us speak of it. Some, will be speaking a lot, others not so much -- yet, not speaking is really not an option.
1 Cor 9:16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of; for necessity is laid upon me; for woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel.

David T

Premium Member
You'd have to clarify what you mean by the 'wasteland'. Also, it seems as though you haven't at all engaged with the actual point of the post but have merely focused on the opening 150 words. Perhaps one could present an alternate viewpoint to the arguments discussed rather than resort to immature condescension? Sounds like an arrogant man.
let's see talking to a bored teenager is really great. Bacon's painting figure study of Lucian Freud is a rather remarkable bit of work in regards to the waste land. Atheism is a kind of educated hillbilly. they realise that there parents are kinda dumb but they don't really understand it. So they carry along all the dumb baggage, but dress nicely believing that proper clothing is the problem. Like their hillbilly parents they really do not understand the topic unlike their hillbilly parents, they have simply become dumber on the topic. Smart people and literacy is a funny funny thing.
Three_Studies_of_Lucian_Freud.jpg

let's see talking to a bored teenager is really great. Bacon's painting figure study of Lucian Freud is a rather remarkable bit of work in regards to the waste land. Atheism is a kind of educated hillbilly. they realise that there parents are kinda dumb but they don't really understand it. So they carry along all the dumb baggage, but dress nicely believing that proper clothing is the problem. Like their hillbilly parents they really do not understand the topic unlike their hillbilly parents, they have simply become dumber on the topic. Smart people and literacy is a funny funny thing.
View attachment 19208

Again, you have provided no counter points to my discussion.

However, I commend you on your attempts to maintain a pretence of eruditeness by name-dropping the Baconian painting and using Freud's name to sound smart. Unfortunately, you have (again) offered zero insight into your comments on the 'wasteland' or any actual comments regarding my original post

In fact, your slender grasp of grammar and incoherent analogy for atheism give away your limited intelligence and general lack of understanding for my argument. But I suppose your capacity to name-drop Freud and Bacon has allowed you to transcend my atheistic state of 'hillbilly-ness' and fully understand and appreciate human existence? I guess you could say that your inability to elucidate your apparent arguments is quite boring, even to a lowly teenager.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't see how John 3:16-18 can be seen any way but exactly how it reads:

16For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.
There are some, including Christians, who believe that the passage refers to the Christ, the incarnation of the eternal Avatar as Jesus, and refers to His station as the gateway to the Eternal. I assume you disagree but it is an alternative explanation.

David T

Premium Member
There are some, including Christians, who believe that the passage refers to the Christ, the incarnation of the eternal Avatar as Jesus, and refers to His station as the gateway to the Eternal. I assume you disagree but it is an alternative explanation.
This Like trying to explain why creationism isn't even wrong. If something isn't even wrong then the problem is below the surface. You keep insisting that a superficial nonsensical question has any validity as if you have magically gotten around on it all psychologically. Freud had the exact same self deluding problem so obviously it's all sexual related are you satisfied Freud? So if you are not Aware of your own sub conscious bs (as Jung realized in Freud) how are we to communicate? I am all about nature obviously nature is something you watch on TV in your head or read about. BTW I do not believe, I do not not believe nor am I agnostic unless I am looking for a McDonald's to use the bathroom. Then believe, non belief, agnosticism Come into play but at some personal fundemental level. so Christian of you atheist, so Christian I don't believe, ha now that's funny..... Cute like a child, annoying as an adult.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This Like trying to explain why creationism isn't even wrong. If something isn't even wrong then the problem is below the surface. You keep insisting that a superficial nonsensical question has any validity as if you have magically gotten around on it all psychologically. Freud had the exact same self deluding problem so obviously it's all sexual related are you satisfied Freud? So if you are not Aware of your own sub conscious bs (as Jung realized in Freud) how are we to communicate? I am all about nature obviously nature is something you watch on TV in your head or read about. BTW I do not believe, I do not not believe nor am I agnostic unless I am looking for a McDonald's to use the bathroom. Then believe, non belief, agnosticism Come into play but at some personal fundemental level. so Christian of you atheist, so Christian I don't believe, ha now that's funny..... Cute like a child, annoying as an adult.
I have no idea what you are writing about except that you are trying to give me the gift of abuse. I'm not interested in your gift.

PureX

Veteran Member
Do I really have to repeat myself? My post is solely addressing the individuals who believe in the dichotomy of heaven and hell for christians and non-christians respectively. Wait I'll say it one more time so you can hopefully understand. My post is solely addressing the individuals who believe in the dichotomy of heaven and hell for christians and non-christians respectively.
Why?

DavidFirth

I believe that people are saved by faith in Jesus. People who lived before Jesus were saved by their faith that the Messiah was coming as God had promised.

As to whether or not that passage of scripture can be interpreted other than that I will remain silent. It isn't up to me who is going where, it's ultimately up to God.

"I will show mercy on whom I will show mercy."

David T

Premium Member
I have no idea what you are writing about except that you are trying to give me the gift of abuse. I'm not interested in your gift.
First the whole opening post is abusive self serving and arrogant. Second, the confirmation bias is so blatant it's silly. As soon as you have the topics "religion" "psychology" "atheism" in one breath practically, it's not a discussion it's nonsense pretending to be a discussion. We could I suppose talk about the resurrection with Base assumptions about how that did come about i suppose, but I wouldn't even bother. This is common in religion itself. Normal in fact. So to change the words and play make believe again is simply the exact same nonsense in different clothing is all. This is exactly why atheism is just southern baptist without jesus and psychology in application to religion is magic talk. At least the make believe of religion has jesus. I certainly do not defend the nonsense in religion, nor am I religious at all, but atheism. Is a joke and psychology is not far behind.

First the whole opening post is abusive self serving and arrogant. Second, the confirmation bias is so blatant it's silly. As soon as you have the topics "religion" "psychology" "atheism" in one breath practically, it's not a discussion it's nonsense pretending to be a discussion. We could I suppose talk about the resurrection with Base assumptions about how that did come about i suppose, but I wouldn't even bother. This is common in religion itself. Normal in fact. So to change the words and play make believe again is simply the exact same nonsense in different clothing is all. This is exactly why atheism is just southern baptist without jesus and psychology in application to religion is magic talk. At least the make believe of religion has jesus. I certainly do not defend the nonsense in religion, nor am I religious at all, but atheism. Is a joke and psychology is not far behind.

Trying to deconstruct a principle of Anglican Christianity doesn't mean I am assuming true part of their religion. I am merely choosing one belief to analyse with logic and reason, two concepts which seem utterly foreign to you.

Hard to believe one can call a post arrogant while belittling other opinions with "silly", "bored child", "nonsense" and "joke". Not to mention your condescension towards literally everything. Seeing as atheism is the absence of belief in religion, and you don't believe in religion, perhaps you need to wake up to your own delusions and consider other viewpoints?

Other than that, it's honestly such a pleasure to engage in discourse with someone of your own incredible intellect. It must be so hard when everyone else is stupid compared to you, and difficult to converse with others when you have our entire existence completely figured out. What a superior being!

David T

Premium Member
Trying to deconstruct a principle of Anglican Christianity doesn't mean I am assuming true part of their religion. I am merely choosing one belief to analyse with logic and reason, two concepts which seem utterly foreign to you.

Hard to believe one can call a post arrogant while belittling other opinions with "silly", "bored child", "nonsense" and "joke". Not to mention your condescension towards literally everything. Seeing as atheism is the absence of belief in religion, and you don't believe in religion, perhaps you need to wake up to your own delusions and consider other viewpoints?

Other than that, it's honestly such a pleasure to engage in discourse with someone of your own incredible intellect. It must be so hard when everyone else is stupid compared to you, and difficult to converse with others when you have our entire existence completely figured out. What a superior being!
There you go again. You might want to actually delve into logic a bit more. Believe it or not application of logic to application to logic to application to logic leads down a rather strange reality called normalcy. You play make believe, in context to make believe which make believe is correct? Yours is rational and theirs is confused? This was called in the ancient world sophism. So your logic structure bumps up against their logic structure and Wow they don't match. Go figure. And of course your logic structure is what, Superior to their logic structure and of course based on your logic structuralism they are confused. They believe the color red determines the strength of the beam, your objective logic can prove red is superior you have proof. Nothing personal but stict to accounting, marketing computer programing stocking shelves what ever you do you are way over your head. My father told me once that noahs ark was x wide y tall z long. Based on logic and observation not all the animals on the planet could fit into the ark!!! Therefore the bible is myth. I tell that to religious folks, which I am not, they all laugh. People like you that's, sharp eyed logic.