• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evangelism and Hypocrisy

Scott C.

Just one guy
Choosing who you want to serve and don't serve is service to self. But that's their choice vsc God's will

We live in a time where one person's evil is another person's good and vice-versa. The Bible says "woe unto them who call good evil and evil good, who put light for darkness and darkness for light." There are many examples where society has upside down values from traditional Christianity and from other faiths. But I'm not going down that rabbit hole with specifics. There are times when a Christian promotes what they believe to be good and to be the will of God. But those who consider that "good" to be "evil", call the Christian a hypocrite. There is no hypocrisy here. There is simply a big disconnect on what is good and what is evil. On the other hand, if a person "pretends" to be a Christian, but their heart is not in it, and they are full of selfishness and inconsistency, or are in it for the money, we could call that hypocrisy. But as I said before, all people from all walks of life suffer from hypocrisy.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
We live in a time where one person's evil is another person's good and vice-versa. The Bible says "woe unto them who call good evil and evil good, who put light for darkness and darkness for light." There are many examples where society has upside down values from traditional Christianity and from other faiths. But I'm not going down that rabbit hole with specifics. There are times when a Christian promotes what they believe to be good and to be the will of God. But those who consider that "good" to be "evil", call the Christian a hypocrite. There is no hypocrisy here. There is simply a big disconnect on what is good and what is evil. On the other hand, if a person "pretends" to be a Christian, but their heart is not in it, and they are full of selfishness and inconsistency, or are in it for the money, we could call that hypocrisy. But as I said before, all people from all walks of life suffer from hypocrisy.
only loving mercy is good. love doesn't turn a blind eye to suffering. unconditional love is not a respecter of persons

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
what then do you mean by measuring?

because to test for hypocrisy is basically just an observation of what is said and what is done. If the action of the subject in question doesn't match the statement of the subject on how to behave, then the result is a lie. we're looking at motive

the subject lies in order to predate with hypocrisy
The question was asked "who is more a hypocrite..."

How does one measure the hypocrisy to make a determination.

Thus far, no one has answered.
Instead, I get definitions of hypocrisy.
Or examples of hypocrisy.
But not a single thing to show how hypocrisy is measured.
How can one determine which hypocrite is more a hypocrite when there is no way to measure the hypocrisy?

pearl

The point is that Biden is an A* hypocrite as I said in the beginning. In fact, I can't believe that any true Christian could ever vote democrat.

Maybe you ought to reread Mt 25 : 31-46 for the definition of 'true Christian'. It pretty well describes the Democratic purpose from FDR on.
That's why your single issue mindset misses the whole.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The question was asked "who is more a hypocrite..."

How does one measure the hypocrisy to make a determination.

Thus far, no one has answered.
Instead, I get definitions of hypocrisy.
Or examples of hypocrisy.
But not a single thing to show how hypocrisy is measured.
How can one determine which hypocrite is more a hypocrite when there is no way to measure the hypocrisy?
it isn't a contest of whose more or less. Like the true Scotsman fallacy you either are or you are not

eik

Maybe you ought to reread Mt 25 : 31-46 for the definition of 'true Christian'. It pretty well describes the Democratic purpose from FDR on.
That's why your single issue mindset misses the whole.
Mt 25 : 31-46 is wholly inapplicable to a political setting, because it is talking about how people handle their assets. It is not talking about the need for compulsory redistrution of wealth in a pagan society, which is the USA. Democrats are political communists, not followers of Christianity.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Because Jesus is the greatest proponent of hypocrisy as a hypocrite himself?
a belated welcome to RF.

i have no idea why you are asking this. do you "feel" jesus was a hypocrite and why?

Kelly of the Phoenix

The hypocrisy is not that he believes in the right to abortion, although no Christian could seriously believe, even if they construed abortion as a necessary evil, that it should ever be up to the woman alone to elect whether or not to abort her child. That is crazy. A woman's discretion is not the right political or religious basis on which to make a decision to abort a child.
When men without uteruses can have the baby, they can get equal say. As long as the person with a uterus is the only one involved, they get the only say.

The hypocrisy lies in the fact that Biden carries on being known as a Catholic and being associated with Catholicism to garner the Catholic vote, and to maintain his democratic credentials, whilst he doesn't really believe in the Catholic doctrine.
My understanding is that the US Catholics aren't nearly as into the pope as the ones in the Vatican.

I mean, Trump says he is a Christian and you don't think that's the height of outright lying if not hypocrisy? The only reason he probably doesn't have more off-the-record kids is that his favorite lovers haven't hit puberty yet. You can tell just by looking at them together that Melania is clearly too old for him now.

My point was that Biden is using his "Catholicism" for attracting the Catholic vote, although he doesn't believe in what the Catholic church says. That is classic hypocrisy, i.e. using religious affiliation for publicity.
Trump makes Biden look like an amateur in the dishonesty department. People call him the Second Coming or outright say he's better than Jesus and Biden is the bad guy here? Trump ticks off more anti-Christ boxes than anyone else except Mitch right now.

They should be made to apply to a judicial body to obtain an abortion which will decide their motives, and allow others the right to make representations!
Let's say she has just a few hours left to live because it's a dead fetus. You're saying they should wait for a committee?

I don't know of any Christians that "promote" hypocrisy. But Christians may be no more free from this weakness than are the many non-Christian hypocrites in the world.
Recently, Falwell Jr has been taken off the schedule as it were from his university because he's been caught with photo evidence that he does precisely the kinds of "sins" he says will cause any of his students to be expelled.

Evangelical leaders EXCEL at doing hypocrisy at 90 miles an hour.

He is also pro gay marriage, which in Christian terms is pro-blasphemy, and even blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.
The ancient church held gay marriages. If you believe that in Christ there is neither male nor female, gender based rules are irrelevant and stupid.

I mean, the bible says you should stone unruly children, claiming they are drunkards even though that rule doesn't even mention that they were drinking. If he held to that standard would you like him better? It's not okay to kill a zygote but it's okay to stone a 10 year old to death? I'm starting to see someone's avatar next to the dictionary definition of "hypocrite."

I am not accusing him of sticking with any "religious beliefs." I am accusing him of hypocrisy by using religion to garner votes and deceive Christians that he's someone whom Christians can put their faith in.
WELCOME TO POLITICS, WHERE THEY ONLY TELL YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR.

It is extremely difficult to take someone who throws out the term "true Christian" as though it is some ace in the hole
Especially since Jesus was never Christian in the first place. :)

Mt 25 : 31-46 is wholly inapplicable to a political setting, because it is talking about how people handle their assets. It is not talking about the need for compulsory redistrution of wealth in a pagan society, which is the USA. Democrats are political communists, not followers of Christianity
Found the person who finds sharing offensive.

eik

When men without uteruses can have the baby, they can get equal say. As long as the person with a uterus is the only one involved, they get the only say.
Ok, so you repudiate biblical marriage. It's not a great start.

My understanding is that the US Catholics aren't nearly as into the pope as the ones in the Vatican.
I wouldn't know.

I mean, Trump says he is a Christian and you don't think that's the height of outright lying if not hypocrisy? The only reason he probably doesn't have more off-the-record kids is that his favorite lovers haven't hit puberty yet. You can tell just by looking at them together that Melania is clearly too old for him now.
This is conversation is about Biden.

Trump makes Biden look like an amateur in the dishonesty department. People call him the Second Coming or outright say he's better than Jesus and Biden is the bad guy here? Trump ticks off more anti-Christ boxes than anyone else except Mitch right now.
Waffle.

Let's say she has just a few hours left to live because it's a dead fetus. You're saying they should wait for a committee?
That would be a medical emergency.

Recently, Falwell Jr has been taken off the schedule as it were from his university because he's been caught with photo evidence that he does precisely the kinds of "sins" he says will cause any of his students to be expelled.
Nothing new. Christianity in the USA is so shallow these days.

Evangelical leaders EXCEL at doing hypocrisy at 90 miles an hour.
Only some, but so what? USA has always had problems with authenticity in Christianity. It's why so many are becoming atheists. USA is a special case when it comes to hypocrisy.

The ancient church held gay marriages. If you believe that in Christ there is neither male nor female, gender based rules are irrelevant and stupid.
Tripe and a deliberate untruth in respect of the orthodox church. What heretics do is nothing to do with Christian orthodoxy.

I mean, the bible says you should stone unruly children, claiming they are drunkards even though that rule doesn't even mention that they were drinking. If he held to that standard would you like him better? It's not okay to kill a zygote but it's okay to stone a 10 year old to death? I'm starting to see someone's avatar next to the dictionary definition of "hypocrite."
Mere casuisty. The allegation of hypocrisy is beginning to attach to you.

WELCOME TO POLITICS, WHERE THEY ONLY TELL YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR.

Especially since Jesus was never Christian in the first place. :)

Found the person who finds sharing offensive.
You've found someone who dislikes communists, of which you are clearly one.

Scott C.

Just one guy

If that's true, that is indeed a good example of hypocrisy.