• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evangelicans?

Jeremiah Ames

How can it be that so many true Christians are forced to flee their toxic churches?

What happened to Christianity?

Many of the toxic Christian churches took on the crusade against abortion and combined it with the most recent crusade against homosexuals.

Slowly over time they found a friendship with the Republican Party.

And the party found a block of voters they couldn’t refuse.

This is the party that in recent times has morphed from the party of Lincoln to the party of corporations.

Their platform had two planks:

Pro BIG corporation.

Anti human being.

In 2016 the two were married and formed the Evangelican party whose platform consists of the combined 4 planks:

Anti abortion

Anti homosexual

Pro big business (pro billionaire)

Anti human being

Did I miss anything?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

It has improved since its medieval iterations. I think the fact that the current versions are an improvement speaks volumes in and of itself.

So much for a religion that is supposedly based around "God's love" for humanity.

suncowiam

It has improved since its medieval iterations. I think the fact that the current versions are an improvement speaks volumes in and of itself.

So much for a religion that is supposedly based around "God's love" for humanity.

There's a another term for it: Tough Love.

You're gonna get his love whether you like it or not.

Also, you can't get worse than killing and torturing, right? I hope not.

David T

Premium Member

Yes but a desire for the good ole days seems to indicate that while you are correct, there are some whom would love to see medieval Christianity become reality.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Social Conservatives exist and we aren't just going to go away because we're not chic right now.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Social Conservatives exist and we aren't just going to go away because we're not chic right now.
I don't mind social conservatives who stick to a consistent principle. One example is that many who call themselves "pro life" are really just "pro treating the fetus as life but ignoring the child/adult". Pope Francis is consistent and I give me credit for intellectual consistency.

To me the OP is focused on those who toss morals into the sewer and selectively ignore principles in their scriptures in favor of political power.

Srivijaya

"Religion is what happens when God leaves the building." Bono

Kind of sums up the problem with a kind of Christianity you have in the USA and have successfully exported elsewhere. Based on individualism and a literal approach to scripture with an absence of theology, the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater.

Such modern "churches" are not in communion with traditional churches and they usually follow charismatic preachers who promise salvation and snake oil. Anyone can set up a church it seems; you just need to recruit enough sheeple.

Where's the compassion in condemnation? But if condemnation is all you have left, because otherwise there's a big void where the spirit should be, well you get using it and get political with it. As long as you remember to throw in a few "Praise Be's" and "Hallelujahs" now and again, you're Christian right?

Phantasman

How can it be that so many true Christians are forced to flee their toxic churches?

Many of the toxic Christian churches took on the crusade against abortion and combined it with the most recent crusade against homosexuals.

Slowly over time they found a friendship with the Republican Party.

And the party found a block of voters they couldn’t refuse.

This is the party that in recent times has morphed from the party of Lincoln to the party of corporations.

Their platform had two planks:

Pro BIG corporation.

Anti human being.

In 2016 the two were married and formed the Evangelican party whose platform consists of the combined 4 planks:

Anti abortion

Anti homosexual

Pro big business (pro billionaire)

Anti human being

Did I miss anything?
It's the definition of group think. I think for myself, and do not join any group. Churches, Parties, nothing. It allows me to move beyond barriers of mental prisons if the need persists.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I really can't envision you locking arms with U.S. conservative christians, though. Could you imagine yourself driving something like this around the UK?

85c74d7e626ab6ecec1fd5918c77b320--black-smoke-muscle-car.jpg

Jeremiah Ames

It's the definition of group think. I think for myself, and do not join any group. Churches, Parties, nothing. It allows me to move beyond barriers of mental prisons if the need persists.
It’s the sad state of humanity, but I’ve arrived at the same conclusion.
Fortunately, the internet being still a place of free thought, is a great place to expand one’ mind, and think about things rationally. Only if one allows in a variety of other people’s ideas. That concept is sorely lacking in the churches.

Phantasman

It’s the sad state of humanity, but I’ve arrived at the same conclusion.
Fortunately, the internet being still a place of free thought, is a great place to expand one’ mind, and think about things rationally. Only if one allows in a variety of other people’s ideas. That concept is sorely lacking in the churches.
I see the Internet as a double edged sword.

While the evil within it runs rampant into all nations, the opening of Spiritual truth (gnosis) is as easily obtainable.

One must use wisdom in their knowledge obtained with it.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The irony is that one very prominent Baptist, Billy Graham, said that his #1 mistake as a pastor was cozying up to a political leader, and in his case that was Nixon. Seems that the Evangelicals haven't learned much from him and also the history of what many other denominations have done, including the Catholic Church btw, that did much the same for many centuries.

"Those whom do not learn from history, ...".