• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Euthanize rapists and pedophiles?

Would society be better off if rapists and pedophiles we're euthanized?

• Yes

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 79.2%

• Total voters

Jumi

Death penalty is not euthanasia. Euthanasia means good death, given to a living being that is near their natural end or incapable of enjoying life anymore due to pain etc.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Just wondering what the consensus is here.

I've seen the suffering pedophiles and rapists go through harassed and beat up in prison. They are unhappy, miserable, lonesome, despised, depraved creatures. Why pay all the tax payers dollars to pro long their agony if they could be comfortably put out of their misery?

It could also protect the innocent.

In my initial response I replaced "euthanasia" with "grant death" in my head.
My response works better with your update

Okay guys, pretend I said kill instead of euthanasia

Too humane for such people, but I'll take it.
Assuming there is irrefutable evidence that 100% connects the criminal to the crime, that is.
I prefer innocents weren't killed at all, even if that means some of the guilty get off easy.

Fighting brutality with brutality is the way I would chose.

Last edited:

Holdasown

Best way to handle them is to put them all on GPS and monitor their every move in conjunction with counseling and intensive community supervision. Prison does nothing in the way of reformation. Though some time to pay for their crime is appropriate.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I've seen the suffering pedophiles and rapists go through harassed and beat up in prison. They are unhappy, miserable, lonesome, despised, depraved creatures. Why pay all the tax payers dollars to pro long their agony if they could be comfortably put out of their misery?

I voted no based on the conclusion that you intentionally used the term 'euthanasia' which is defined as a painless killing to end suffering based on the embolded statements above.

Those that commit such atrocities to bring suffering unto others forfeit their rights to escape their karma (vipaka) by such means as euthanasia. My opinion, of course.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know about society. Its probably not worthwhile to be a rapist or a pedophile, but I don't think its safe to allow the govco to start executing people. Governments are almost always terrible at whatever they do. If you set up a system that works in government, it eventually starts to run down and to go a little crazy.

I like the idea of giving felons a partial vote, such as a fractional vote. We have too many people in prison, and I think that would not be the case if prisoners had a 1/5 vote. They would then 'Matter' a little to politicians, and its one more way to prevent the government from rounding up political dissidents as if they were criminals. As it is, once you're in prison its like you don't exist.

PureX

Veteran Member
When we decide we have the right to kill anyone who does something that we don't like, we will have lost any and all sense of righteousness. And where, then, does it end? Why only kill people for sexual assault? Why not kill people for committing any violent physical assault? Why not for any crime committed with a deadly weapon? Or maybe crimes against the ten commandments?

Tmac

Think about it, these people weren't born that way, they learned it, so lets take out the teachers as well. Do you think we'd have anybody left?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

If they wanted to die, I suspect they could figure out a way to go about it themselves. I'm not comfortable making that decision for someone else.

Could you actually go about killing someone against their will?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There is no way to tell how many of the more than 1,450 people executed since 1976 may also have been innocent. Courts do not generally entertain claims of innocence when the defendant is dead. Defense attorneys move on to other cases where clients' lives can still be saved. Some cases with strong evidence of innocence include:

Carlos DeLuna: Texas — Conviction: 1983, Executed: 1989
Ruben Cantu: Texas — Conviction: 1985, Executed: 1993
Larry Griffin: Missouri — Conviction: 1981, Executed: 1995
Joseph O'Dell: Virginia — Conviction: 1986, Executed: 1997
David Spence: Texas — Conviction: 1984, Executed: 1997
Leo Jones: Florida — Conviction: 1981, Executed: 1998
Gary Graham: Texas — Conviction: 1981, Executed: 2000
Claude Jones: Texas — Conviction: 1989, Executed: 2000
Cameron Willingham: Texas — Conviction: 1992, Executed: 2004
Troy Davis: Georgia — Conviction: 1991, Executed: 2011
Lester Bower: Texas — Conviction: 1984, Executed: 2015
Brian Terrell: Georgia — Conviction: 1995, Executed: 2015
Richard Masterson: Texas — Conviction: 2002, Executed: 2016
Robert Pruett: Texas — Conviction: 2002, Executed: 2017

Executed But Possibly Innocent | Death Penalty Information Center

Texas is far too eager to use the death penalty, the state serves as an excellent example of why the death penalty should be abolished.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If they wanted to die, I suspect they could figure out a way to go about it themselves. I'm not comfortable making that decision for someone else.

Could you actually go about killing someone against their will?
No I could not

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Given the legal costs of execution, no.
It's our system, & it won't be getting cheaper.
Ref....
Considering The Death Penalty: Your Tax Dollars At Work

Also, I oppose it because our court system is not
reliable enuf to impose irreversible sentences.
But that is just because they go through all of that "due process nonsense". Think of how much easier it would be if they kept a horse and a noose at the jail. Surly people would never react emotionally and convict the first available loser.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But that is just because they go through all of that "due process nonsense". Think of how much easier it would be if they kept a horse and a noose at the jail. Surly people would never react emotionally and convict the first available loser.
I'm OK with government being slow & inefficient at executing people.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Euthanasia doesn't have to be consensual. We euthanize dogs and cats all the time
Out of a sense of compassion not to extract revenge or send a message. It's not like all the cats and dogs of the world go
"Well they just killed spot, won't be a dog in that state. Too dangerous."
Euthanasia implies ending of suffering. Killing does not. Besides I'm sure many animals who suffer horrible diseases would welcome death if we could talk to them.

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
The death penalty is (legally justified, where it's legal) murder, as far as I'm concerned. Except, often it's not a single person flicking the switch; it's the legal system itself.