• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

European Union Constitution

What do you think about the EU adopting a constitution?

• It is a lovely idea.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I am in between.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is a terrible idea.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I have no idea or no opinion.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
This will be the first of a few polls I want to make about the EU. I have a great interest in the EU and it will probably be my focus for my International Studies major. So I ask that everyone who responds please do so in a respectful and intelligent manner. I want thoughts both from European citizens and non-European citizens.

Okay the first question is how do you feel about the EU adopting a constitution? I know that it was written, but not ratified. I want to get your thoughts.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I can't say until I know more. What kind of rights is it granting? What is it making law? Taxes? Managing government?

lunakilo

I doubt that the members of the EU could agree on such a thing, but in theory I am all for it :)

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I doubt that the members of the EU could agree on such a thing, but in theory I am all for it :)

Well they had problems agreeing on it already. The Netherlands and France rejected it. It is supposed to be taken into consideration again in the future. What about it appeals to you?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It doesn't seem bad on the wiki article at least, except giving the E.U. legal personality seems abit much.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I think the Treaty is sufficient and is more easily amended.
Human rights are covered under different treaty legislation.
The UK would never agree to a written constitution.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Didn't the UK create the very concept of a Constitution?

About the Treaty: consider me officially impressed. The EU seems to be easily the most significant political advancement in the whole of human history. I am very pleased by both the description of the document itself and the way it is being handled.

Sure, the Constitution is very much at odds at itself (as Constitutions inevitably are due to their very nature), but it has clear, well-chosen and meaningful goals.

Conferral, subsidiarity, proportionality are of course limitations and eventually direct denial of the primacy of EU law. But that is not at all a bad thing. Law, in and of itself, is quite worthless. It is only lent some worth due to the significance that people give to it. The true worth is in the hearts and minds of people, and of course it couldn't possibly be any other way.

How often and how deeply are Europeans discussing the matters of the EU decisions, goals and documents? That is the where the EU will be proudly made or regreatably lost. For that reason, I find the idea of waiting some ten years between reconsidering the Constitution very, very wise indeed. It gives people time to consider the implications without feeling bound by them.

Last edited:

Flankerl

That would be a good reason to be against it. What are you biggest issues with a European superstate?

The member states are far to diverse and its not in any kind democratic.

It would just be like its today, some bureaucrats in Brüssel who dont have any contact to the electorate will make some stuff up so that they gain more power.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That could be a problem if sovereignty existed in the first place, or were at least actually compatible with existence. We should create a sovereignty thread sometime.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
The member states are far to diverse and its not in any kind democratic.

It would just be like its today, some bureaucrats in Brüssel who dont have any contact to the electorate will make some stuff up so that they gain more power.

What if it was made democratic? Would that change your viewpoint at all?