• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

European Christian Heritage

exchemist

Veteran Member
Many Europeans hate Christianity and would fain see it completely gone. It's baffling to say the least. So getting some to care about this is an uphill battle because they'd rather we just forgot it ever existed.
I think you need to provide evidence for that statement. I am not aware that many Europeans "hate" Christianity at all, though increasing numbers do not consider themselves Christian. I suspect too, though I can't provide evidence for it, that most European citizens recognise their cultural heritage and the part played in it by Christian thought and institutions.

The issue raised in your OP, as I say, is a practical one about the upkeep of churches. There is an article here in today's Grauniad about the problem the C of W faces in Britain: The Guardian view on the Church of England: the numbers are not adding up | Editorial

Kelly of the Phoenix

I think folks are focusing a lot on the burning, which may be my fault.

I'm just sad at the loss of and lack of care for churches in general and surprised at the apathy I see about it.
Pretty sure Jesus had a conversation about the Temple similar to this thread. This was a building God refused to let David build and Jesus doesn’t seem to care that it will be torn down. If Jesus is cool with it, why can’t Christians?

Kelly of the Phoenix

He did, but I'm probably exclusively talking about Greco-Roman Pagan traditions, as Judaism and possibly Zoroastrianism had begun having big impacts on them. I couldn't point you to any sources, but it appears monotheism, not any particular religion associated therewith prior to Christianity, was already on the rise in these areas. It would be another reason why Christianity was so popular so early. Paganism came with a lot of built-in social inequalities in Greece and Rome, which I can imagine many wanted abolished - and these are the groups we see turning to Christianity first: slaves, women, outcasts etc.
And the outcasts got civil rights and lived happily ever after, right? No? Weird…

Kelly of the Phoenix

But...

'Let's stop the synagogues being vandalised...'

'YES OF COURSE THIS IS ANTI-SEMISITSM HOW COULD ANYONE DO SUCH A THING.'

'And the churches.'

'Eh, no-one believes in that anymore.'
Are Jews attending the synagogue? Christians aren’t attending church. Wouldn’t it be more Christian to find better uses for old buildings that don’t do anything? But of course, I think religious locations should be shelters when not in use.

amorphous_constellation

Is being ruined.

One religious building is disappearing in France every two weeks.

That is the conclusion of Edouard de Lamaze, president of the Observatoire du patrimoine religieux (Observatory of Religious Heritage) in Paris.

[...]

Lamaze told CNA in an interview that in addition to one religious building disappearing every two weeks -- by demolition, transformation, destruction by fire, or collapse -- two-thirds of fires in religious buildings are due to arson.

[...]

“Although Catholic monuments are still ahead, one mosque is erected every 15 days in France, while one Christian building is destroyed at the same pace,” Lamaze said. “It creates a tipping point on the territory that should be taken into account.”

[...]

According to the most recent figures from France’s central criminal intelligence unit, 877 attacks on Catholic places of worship were recorded across the country in 2018 alone.

“These figures have increased fivefold in only 10 years,” Lamaze said, noting that 129 churches were vandalized in 2008.

Why France is losing one religious building every two weeks

More than 10 churches a year are closing in Wales, figures have shown.

Data from the Church in Wales showed 115 Anglican churches have closed over a 10-year period, about 8% of the total, with 1,319 still in use.

110 Anglican churches closed in Wales in 10 years

C of E bishop warns of church closures due to Covid financial losses

Please stand up for your heritage, Europe! What is wrong with you?

If someone were burning all the synagogues and mosques it'd be an outcry, but churches? That's fine. The state and the people will do nothing.

I'm not a Christian and this upsets me. Get your act together, Europe.

I don't know if Russia was mentioned in this thread, but over the past couple months I noticed a certain talking point about them, here and there: that they now have something to do with preserving Christian heritage? Do you have a view on that, is the christian foundation that they talk about there, either valid/genuine, or is it just something the executives want to cultivate for some reason?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know if Russia was mentioned in this thread, but over the past couple months I noticed a certain talking point about them, here and there: that they now have something to do with preserving Christian heritage? Do you have a view on that, is the christian foundation that they talk about there, either valid/genuine, or is it just something the executives want to cultivate for some reason?
It's a very complex subject and not one I'd like to get into here. The Orthodox Church in Russia is severely compromised 2018 Moscow–Constantinople schism - Wikipedia