• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Euphoniums and Trumpets!

Eyes to See

I love trumpets. In elementary school I joined the music program and was asked what instrument I wanted to learn. I said trumpet. Unfortunately they had enough trumpet players already. So I was told to play the "baritone" also known as euphonium.

For little me the baritone was a big instrument to be lugging around. I had to bring it to and from school on the bus every day. Thinking back on it now I still remember my hand and arm hurting from the strain of carrying it.

I learned to play it though. And we went through middle, and then high school, every day probably I practiced playing. By the end of my high school years I was quite proficient. Our high school band director had us play in events around the country, and almost the world. We were to play in Moscow, Russia but at the last minute a sponsor of the trip was busted by the police for drug something or the other and the money fell through to go there. We ended up going to Grand Junction that year. We played in a competition at Disneyland one year, and at the University of Las Vegas Nevada another year.

The music Director of Colorado State University was visiting my sophomore year and saw us playing. He pulled me aside and offered me a full 4-year scholarship without batting an eye if I majored in music. We had some of the greatest directors in the musical world visit our school. We were known throughout the country for our extremely high quality.

Since the euphonium isn't a really famous or played instrument I could probably have gone on to play in a famous orchestra. I was even for a time thinking of joining the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. Also learned to play other instruments, the trombone, I loved playing in Jazz band. I did play the trumpet, and the piano.

I have come to love euphomiums. A good quality euphonium plays some beautiful music. the brass cello. Because of the relationship with the euphoium I will always cherish the euphomium. But my favorite instrument will always be the trumpet.

A couple of pieces to delight the ear.

This segways into Handel. For I do love Handel's music! His arias are wonderful. The next one is special not only for it's beautiful trumpet solos, but also beacuse it is one my faovrite Biblical passages, and sung by the great baritone Bryn Terfel.

Another beautiful aria from Handel, it uses Jehovah's name! This opera was about the Jewish Maccabean Revolt:

A piece made for euphonium:

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I love trumpets. When elementary school I joined the music program and was asked what instrument I wanted to learn. I said trumpet. Unfortunately they had enough trumpet players already. So I was told to play the "baritone" also known as euphonium.

For little me the baritone was a big instrument to be lugging around. I had to bring it to and from school on the bus every day. Thinking back on it now I still remember my hand and arm hurting from the strain of carrying it.

I learned to play it though. And we went through middle, and then high school, every day probably I practiced playing. By the end of my high school years I was quite proficient. Our high school band director had us play in events around the country, and almost the world. We were to play in Moscow, Russia but at the last minute a sponsor of the trip was busted by the police for drug something or the other and the money fell through to go there. We ended up going to Grand Junction that year. We played in a competition at Disneyland one year, and at the University of Las Vegas Nevada another year.

The music Director of Colorado State University was visiting my sophomore year and saw us playing. He pulled me aside and offered me a full 4-year scholarship without batting an eye if I majored in music. We had some of the greatest directors in the musical world visit our school. We were known throughout the country for our extremely high quality.

Since the euphonium isn't a really famous or played instrument I could probably have gone on to play in a famous orchestra. I was even for a time thinking of joining the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. Also learned to play other instruments, the trombone, I loved playing in Jazz band. I did play the trumpet, and the piano.

I have come to love euphomiums. A good quality euphonium plays some beautiful music. the brass cello. Because of the relationship with the euphoium I will always cherish the euphomium. But my favorite instrument will always be the trumpet.

This segways into Handel. For I do love Handel's music! His Arias is wonderful. The next one is special not only for it's beautiful trumpet solos, but also beacuse it is one my faovrite Biblical passages, and sung by the great baritone Bryn Terfel.

Another beautiful Arias piece from Handel, it uses Jehovah's name! This opera was about the Jewish Maccabean Revolt:

A friend of mine plays euphonium. Every time he moves home (he gets around a bit because of his job) he tells the landlord that he must practice for two hours each night.

Invariably you will see a crowd of appreciative passers by who have stopped to listen to the free concert. He is very good.

Eyes to See

Edited the second aria from Handel in the OP. Put the first part, and not the second of Judas Maccabeaus, that I was thinking of.

A friend of mine plays euphonium. Every time he moves home (he gets around a bit because of his job) he tells the landlord that he must practice for two hours each night.

Invariably you will see a crowd of appreciative passers by who have stopped to listen to the free concert. He is very good.

:thumbsup:Nice. We get together from time to time to play here. It's a real joy.

Eyes to See

{ Don't go there, Jayhawker. }

Many don't know this but the United States Army and Air Force recruit band players to play exclusively in the Air Force Jazz Band and United States Army band.

They both came by and visited us in Grand Junction. They played brilliantly. And we got a chance to play with them. The Air Force actually tried to recruit me into their band at that time (also tried to get me to join the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs)...

Not being patrotic just showing a piece of them playing. It's a good piccolo solo.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I love trumpets. In elementary school I joined the music program and was asked what instrument I wanted to learn. I said trumpet. Unfortunately they had enough trumpet players already. So I was told to play the "baritone" also known as euphonium.

This segways into Handel. For I do love Handel's music! His arias are wonderful. The next one is special not only for it's beautiful trumpet solos, but also beacuse it is one my faovrite Biblical passages, and sung by the great baritone Bryn Terfel.

Another beautiful aria from Handel, it uses Jehovah's name! This opera was about the Jewish Maccabean Revolt:

Yes I've sung Judas Maccabeus. My favourite number, speaking as a choral singer, is this one:

No euphoniums (euphonia?) in that, though.;)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

exactly the same thing happened to me! I however had to transport it the three blocks to and from home. I got decent balancing it on my stringray bicycle...

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I mostly listen to Western classical music these days, but personally I don't particularly enjoy the trumpet when in a classical setting. But it was made for jazz. :)

...Avishai Cohen